Notice Nike Hoop Summit 2017 - Chicken/Egg/Tickets

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 4, 2017.

1. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Osu baseball tickets are hard to get. I am going to a game in a couple weeks. Only tickets available are general admission ones unless you wanna go on stubhub.

2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

College wrestling probably gets more attention than college baseball. College hockey most definitely does. And in some parts of the country, college lacrosse is a way bigger deal than college baseball.

Just face it, nobody cares about college baseball, except fans of a school trying to use college baseball as an argument for athletic department comparability.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Check baseball attendance and can't say I agree with you. Over 162 games your not going to get 45k a game but the sport is doing fine. It doesn't have the labor issues NFL and NBA does. And player development fees are as cheap as fuck. Baseball is like NHL, fans aren't the most numerous but they are die hard. It has its niche and I think its happy with that.

4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Sure.... I just don't get it man. I can't sit there for 4 hours and watch 1 or 2 hits. Do people actually sit down and watch a LIVE baseball game? My hatred is so strong for the "game" that I go without paying some bills in the summer and turn down working baseball. I refuse to put myself thru that. NOT JOKING FAMS! We pay bills late in the summer just so I don't have to sit thru it.

5. ripcityboy

self employed
    Well HCP, you'll like this guy then. Because that shit is going as of next year. Pitch clocks, and who knows.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ob-manfred-meet-players-how-improve-pace-play

THE HCP likes this.
  6. JFizzleRaider

I disagree with that. But to each their own. The fact is baseball is one of americas biggest sports.

How many times have you seen taco bell do advertisements for college hockey, lacrosse or wrestling?

Does Tacoby Bellsbury ring a bell?

Edit: bad argument because tacoby ellsbury came about when jacoby ellsbury was a rookie.

But in the circles i run around, the college world series has been a big deal since i was a ducks fan growing up. Even before i cared wtf osu did. (After i attended osu, i learned the errors of my ways and ducks fans made me hate them).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  7. JFizzleRaider

I am not a fan of the game of baseball either, but, you don't enjoy just being at an event with your family on a nice summer day with a beer in one hand and a hot dog in the other? There is a difference being at the game.

BBert and THE HCP like this.
  8. ripcityboy

self employed
    College baseball would be a lot more popular if the minors didn't exist. Minor League baseball eats up a lot of that audience. And Pat Casey is a much better coach thatn pretty much all of those ex-jocks that run a farm team.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  9. ripcityboy

self employed
    Yeah. I never understood the hatred for baseball either. Drinking cold beer with your friends while your kids eat cracker jacks and you teach them how to score the game.... Not exactly putting bamboo shoots under your finger nails. But you meet people who act like it's a pastime form whom every significant major event or rule is unhip and wrong. Baseball is just something to do in the summer when the Na and Nfl are in the off season. If you don't like it. Don't watch.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  10. THE HCP

Actually no.

11. THE HCP

Agreed. Took my son to a Yankees game in NYC a couple years ago.

BBert likes this.
  12. JFizzleRaider

Well bad, argument from me, because it happened when Jacoby Ellsbury played for the Red sox, in his rookie year not on osus team.

THE HCP and riverman like this.
  13. ripcityboy

self employed
    Baseball has a marketing problem more than a time pace problem in my mind. NFL and NBA players are on the TV, they are on cool shoe commercials, they are on video games..... their visbility is a part of their brand. The baseball players life is more of a soft sell. Their visibility is almost totally through the game and that about it. They will meet you before a game and sign your ball but the job is hard enough without diversions. Nearly all of them are on the road so damn much they don't have time to shoot a ton of commercials. They almost always marry "high school" sweethearts and just try to settle down. For Latino players the culture shock as they go from bum fuck town to bum fuck town and try to work their life around it. They won't talk to any media people unless through an interpreter because they don't trust the TMZ style journalists twisting their partial English. And honestly, can you blame them? The NBA and NFL are box office, front and center, where the action is.... baseball is a little jazz club off the strip. In a world that is constantly changing, isn't it good to know that some games stay the same?

BonesJones and THE HCP like this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This from a guy who does golf show interviews? Golf is like playing Frisbee by yourself....not a lot of defense...you can be fat and drunk and win the game....baseball is a GREAT sport and Pat Casey is a national treasure...turned down big bucks to stay in Corvalis. City of 80k produces some great ballplayers. Golf is right up there with curling as being faster than Sominex....can't sleep...put on a golf match.

JFizzleRaider and Strenuus like this.
  15. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I'm even taking my mom, whats their excuse!?

16. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Already bought 12th row tickets.

Would take free ones if they're closer haha.

17. THE HCP

I never watch golf either. Too slow and boring. Love going out with friends on a nice day and attempt to play it though. Golf like baseball is dying a slow death as well. courses are closing left and right. there are courses all over the country that have changed the course to let them play frisbee golf and a soccer type golf where the holes are huge. They make more money off of that. Times have changed and so will America's past times

18. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

*Tries to not make it political*

*tries to not make it political*

THE HCP likes this.
  19. JFizzleRaider

Tbh the only sports i feel like have picked up growth are football (easily the most popular sport in america), mma and soccer in america over the past decade.

Baseball and basketball feel like they have lost some followers. I know plenty of people that have been turned off by basketball lately.

20. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

On the flip side, my 11-year-old son--who has never played little league, mind you--was more interested in watching the Indians and Rangers on Monday night than the CBB national title game. Although I've been a Braves fan since childhood and have been known to pop a game on the TV occasionally, I've never pushed baseball in our house (hell, we don't even have mitts!), yet somehow he's been drawn to it.

As an aside--in our ADD society, wouldn't we benefit from kids learning to appreciate the aesthetic beauty of a game that doesn't rely on brute force, unreal athleticism, or constant motion in order to be entertaining?

Strenuus likes this.