'No-Brainer', No Certainty

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">EAST LANSING - Shannon Brown has entered his name into the NBA draft, reserving the right to withdraw it if necessary.

Brown, a Michigan State guard with one season of collegiate eligibility left, will not hire an agent. That means he can work out for teams, get a better gauge on his status, and still decide to yank his name by June 18. The draft is June 28.

MSU coach Tom Izzo said Brown's decision was "really a no-brainer. It's what he had to do if you ask me." Izzo helped Brown and Brown's parents compile information on Brown's prospects, and the information was hazy.

The key is whether Brown is regarded highly enough to be a first-round pick. Those 30 players receive three-year, guaranteed contracts.

"My lifelong dream has been to be an NBA player," Brown, who scored 17.2 points a game last season, said in a statement released through MSU. "By testing the draft waters I am allowing myself to make a more informed decision while keeping all my options open."

Brown, a native of Maywood, Ill., who is listed at 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, must decide whether he will showcase his skills in the NBA pre-draft camp June 6-10 in Orlando, Fla.

Invitations for the camp will go out in a couple weeks, NBA scouting director Marty Blake said. Brown as well as departing MSU seniors Maurice Ager and Paul Davis will be invited.

The pre-draft camp typically consists of players who are trying to work themselves into first-round contention. Whether Brown needs to attend is a matter of varying opinions.

ESPN analyst Chad Ford ranks Brown as the No. 37 prospect overall, behind Ager (No. 29) and ahead of Davis (No. 38). But draft analyst Chris Monter said he thinks Brown "will definitely be a first-round pick," along with Davis.

"Shannon is one of the best athletes in this draft," said Monter, who publishes the Monter Draft News. "Maybe he could improve his stock if he stayed for one more season, but there are a lot of people who like him now."

Both analysts base their projections on information from NBA scouts and executives. Blake refused comment on Brown because Brown is not a senior.

The overall uncertainty made it necessary for Brown to "extend the process," Izzo said. The deadline for withdrawal is June 18, although Brown could go through the draft without an agent and still return to school if he goes undrafted.

If Brown elects to go to Orlando, the NBA will pay for his travel and lodging. But any other trips for individual workouts will have to be paid for by Brown.

That's why Izzo said he is hoping to invite teams to campus to watch Brown work out, provided it falls within NCAA guidelines. Izzo said MSU is waiting to hear back on that.

If Brown vacates, the Spartans, who are coming off a 22-12 season and first-round NCAA Tournament loss, would be left with one returning starter next season, point guard Drew Neitzel.

That prospect does not thrill Izzo, who said he'd like Brown back and thinks he can improve his standing with a big senior season. But Izzo said if Brown ends up leaving, "it's a real win if you look at the big picture." For one thing, players who go on to successful NBA careers help recruiting.

If Brown returns, as he said he would when the season ended, MSU would have a much better chance at its 10th straight NCAA bid.

"He's not gone AWOL on us," said Izzo, citing Brown's presence at 6:30 a.m. team workouts and at study hall sessions. "This has been almost a treat. This is the way it's supposed to be."</div>

Source