No Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Lakers Skybox' started by Really Lost One, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I don't think people supporting No on Prop 8 campaigned effectively enough and didn't make their stance clear enough. Unfortunately, there's a lot of ignorant, homophobic people in California and when those people have it engrained that gay marriage will be taught to their 5 year olds (which is complete b.s.), they're going to make sure to vote.

There's a lot of protests down here in SoCal, so hopefully that helps inform people on the issue and they vote correctly the next time around.

2. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

Well not to make it personal but you're definitely disillusioned with that one. An indication is not proof, and even if being gay is genetic (which it is not), you'd have to be a fool to not think that lifestyle choices affect genetics (that is a fact). A history of high blood pressure can be affected by eating habits, for example, it's not all genes but also lifestyle sometimes present day, sometimes of one's ancestors.

So I lean to the left politically because of where and how I was raised, and some people may lean towards being gay because of factors in thier upbringing.

3. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

My stance is that people are not born gay, but they also don't choose to be gay.

4. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

I agree with that somewhat. A person very close to me "turned" gay when he was about 25, I could never understand why and I was very disgusted but accepting of it. I later found out that his whole life he was called "gay" and "***got" by the kids he went to school with, because he has kind of a feminine personality and other stereotypical gay behavior. For him I know that the treatment he received contributed to him being gay.

I don't think it's genetic I think there are a lot of factors involved. Sadly some of them are psychological.

5. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Utter nonsense. People discover they're gay when they look at girlie magazines and don't find them interested and then discover the other kind. You're right that gay people far too often do hide the fact they're gay by trying to act like they're not.

I've not met a single gay person who has said anything but "it's the way I've always been" and there's simply nothing in their family's lifestyle or other environment that suddenly or gradually made them so.

6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    He was gay all along but never felt he could come clean with people because of that harmful and hateful treatment.

7. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

This is totally retarded.

I don't see why government is stripping someone of a right, simply because they aren't heterosexual. If this country is the land of the free and all that shit, why not give homesexuals the same fucking amount of freedom a heterosexual has? Talk about double fucking standard horseshit.

8. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Ne-Yo is gay?

9. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

Is marriage listed (literally) as a right in the constitution? By literally I mean, don't tell me that it falls under the pursuit of happiness (because those crazy pervs with NAMBLA justify their actions as constitutional under that logic :sigh:), but show me a resonable place where it is listed as a right by the government.

10. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I'd be interesting to read the various side of the nature/nurture argument on homosexuality, that are based more on scientific research than personal experiences. I don't have an opinion on the issue either way and haven't encountered strong arguments for either side, but it interests me.

11. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Sure, I think people rely too much on anecdotal accounts for the nature vs nurture tangent.

12. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

It's okay to wonder why you are the way you are. :ghoti:

13. elcap15

elcap15 I slap you

The Ninth Amendment to the US Constitution: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

Just because it doesnt specifically say it, doesnt mean that it is not a right of the people. That is why this amendment was added; for the exact argument you just used.

If a certain group of people have this right, and another specific group of people is denied the exact same right, how is that anything other than discrimination.

14. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

To be honest, I have no idea. I haven't looked at the Constitution since I was a sophomore in high school. Regardless though, if it's not in there, it's still an unwritten right.

And lets be serious here, why DON'T they deserve it? Just like heterosexual individuals, they're people. Who cares about their sexual orientation, they're humans, just like you and me. Why should they be treated any differently because their sexual orientation isn't typical? It's unjustified in my opinion and it's absolutely discrimination.