NOTE TO SURA: Just Retire already

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by ROCK4LIFE, Oct 28, 2006.

1. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

We're moving in a new direction now. I know he has heart, but at the end of the day his roster spot could be filled with a younger, more athletic player who can contribute. I actually like Jacobsen and think he could've been a very valuable asset. But we cut him in hopes that Sura comes back. Not smart. We know he's not gonna be anywhere the player he was, we know he's gonna be even slower than he used to be, and he's not a very good shooter. What's the point? Heart? If that's the only thing that's permitting the Rockets from letting him go then he should've been cut. Right now our team is still weak at the PF position and we can't afford to hope on anybody.

2. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

I have to agree with you on this one....my guesses are Sura is done...I love Bob's heart, but I'd much rather see Jacobsen in a rockets uni.

3. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

The Rockets were smart not to cut him. If it's determined that he can't play due to injury then his salary won't count towards the luxary tax, and the Rockets can use their trade exception to acquire a player in the middle of the season (or bring back Jacobsen, if he's still available).

4. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

^^^durvasa the GM, thinking things through...lol...if that's the case then I guess it was a pretty good move.

5. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

Damn durvasa knows everything. I was prepared to come in here and burn Sura, but now I am okay with it.

By the way, everyone tune in to channel 35 ESPN classic. A lot of good (replays) NBA games on today, LA is in the 4th with Dallas, they were down by 27 at the start of the 4th. Anyone remember that game?

66-36 at one point, here they are down by 10 within 7 minutes of the game.

6. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">igotask8board Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Damn durvasa knows everything.</div>

No, I'm just repeating what was said in the Chronicle recently:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    If Sura determines he must retire because of his knee, his salary would not count toward the Rockets' luxury tax threshold. That could allow the Rockets to use the $4.1 trade exception they will have until Feb. 13 without incurring the tax they consider a virtual hard salary cap. His contract could also be used in a trade for a team seeking an expiring contract.</div>

7. igotask8board

"The Rockets were smart not to cut him. If it's determined that he can't play due to injury then his salary won't count towards the luxary tax, and the Rockets can use their trade exception to acquire a player in the middle of the season (or bring back Jacobsen, if he's still available)."

Are you sure that is what they meant? I hope so.

All I see is that we can trade his expiring contract (yea right, he still has 2 years left, plus what would we get in return), or IF HE RETIRES...yada yada yada, not gonna happen.

We are stuck with him.

8. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">We're moving in a new direction now. I know he has heart, but at the end of the day his roster spot could be filled with a younger, more athletic player who can contribute. I actually like Jacobsen and think he could've been a very valuable asset. But we cut him in hopes that Sura comes back. Not smart. We know he's not gonna be anywhere the player he was, we know he's gonna be even slower than he used to be, and he's not a very good shooter. What's the point? Heart? If that's the only thing that's permitting the Rockets from letting him go then he should've been cut. Right now our team is still weak at the PF position and we can't afford to hope on anybody.</div>

I might be assuming to much but im assuming you wanted Casey Jacobsen to get a spot on this team and im Assuming you want us to fill in the PF void. Well Casey Jacobsen is not a PF and is barely a SF even though he is listed as one. So you gotta pick. PF or Jacobsen.

9. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

So many injuries, what can Sura still do for us now? Nothing basically and plus we have Rafer/VSpan/Head aat the 1. No way I would want Sura now. Just retire.

10. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">So many injuries, what can Sura still do for us now? Nothing basically and plus we have Rafer/VSpan/Head aat the 1. No way I would want Sura now. Just retire.</div>
    Just wondering, did you read durvasa's post? Because its actually better for us financially if we just keep him on the team and he can't play. However, I also see him giving a positive mentoring kind of thing for the younger players on the team such as Head, Snyder, or Lucas III. He's a tough guy, and is no doubt a good kind of guy to have around on a team even if he's not playing.

Rock, since when did you start liking Jacobsen?

11. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Ok, but do you think he will give us the same amount of numbers as he did 2 years ago? And plus, what I am saying is that, we already have 3 point guards and I dont want a 4th one.

12. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Umair15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Ok, but do you think he will give us the same amount of numbers as he did 2 years ago? And plus, what I am saying is that, we already have 3 point guards and I dont want a 4th one.</div>

Sura can play SG. And, anyways, he's likely not going to play. The hope is he'll agree that he can't play due to injuries, and the Rockets will gain some cap flexibility.

13. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think Sura is going to see this thread. [​IMG]

14. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">AznxBaller Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Just wondering, did you read durvasa's post? Because its actually better for us financially if we just keep him on the team and he can't play. However, I also see him giving a positive mentoring kind of thing for the younger players on the team such as Head, Snyder, or Lucas III. He's a tough guy, and is no doubt a good kind of guy to have around on a team even if he's not playing.
    Rock, since when did you start liking Jacobsen?</div>
    I liked Jacobsen since his Phoenix days. He didn't shoot well in the preseason, but he's proven he can make the open shot. I also liked the line up with Novak and Jacobsen on the court together. He's a Hardworker + Good shooter=[​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">TmacGarnett Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I might be assuming to much but im assuming you wanted Casey Jacobsen to get a spot on this team and im Assuming you want us to fill in the PF void. Well Casey Jacobsen is not a PF and is barely a SF even though he is listed as one. So you gotta pick. PF or Jacobsen.</div>
    LOL.....U guys stop at nothin to discredit me, even when i'm not even arguing with you. But my point was we had options if his roster spot is open, meaning we could do various things. I hope that answer satisfies you or are you gonna go on a mad tirade on how I avoided ur question lol

15. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    LOL.....U guys stop at nothin to discredit me, even when i'm not even arguing with you. But my point was we had options if his roster spot is open, meaning we could do various things. I hope that answer satisfies you or are you gonna go on a mad tirade on how I avoided ur question lol</div>

No I just want it clearer. What do you want? Casey Jacobsen or a PF.

16. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">TmacGarnett Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">No I just want it clearer. What do you want? Casey Jacobsen or a PF.</div>
    This is funny lol....I want both. Who are you to make me choose one? Ur overreacting, it was a hypothetical statement. If ur lookin for a argument try another thread to do it in. Thank you[​IMG]

17. evolidiot

evolidiot JBB JustBBall Member

This is a debate over garbage-time players. If Jacobsen had made the team, he would most likely not make the regular rotation and would only get garbage minutes. Sura is most likely not going to get a lot of time, if any, this season. At least with Sura, there is the chance for the Rockets to get cap relief if and when he retires.

18. igotask8board

Screw Jacobsen, he only averaged 36.8% from 3 with the SUNS. That's with Steve Nash and a lot of open looks. With the Hornets, and Chris Paul, he averaged 37%. I expect at least 39% from 3, because what else can he bring to the table? Exactly.

In preseason he went 1-7 from 3 land. That is why he was cut. Not because of Sura. Like someone else said (I think it was Locke), it more than likely came down to him and Padgett.

We have Bonzi, Head, Snyder, T-Mac, Battier, Novak, Padgett and Sura who can all do a better job then Casey Jacobsen. I don't know why anyone wanted him on our team.

I think the Rockets kept all the right players, and I am verry happy with the final roster. [​IMG]

19. moeinhouston

moeinhouston JBB JustBBall Member

I'll tell you what, if we go into to the playoffs without a decent backup at PG it will be exploited, especially if Skip goes down.

a backup big and PG are the biggest weaknesses. The Chuck Hayes Experiment to fill one of the needs will be watched close by everybody.

VSPan has shown some quickness but looks like he needs a lot more time. JLIII is at best a 3rd PG. The jury is still out on who is better, at least in my mind.

L.Head wasn't that impressive as a PG last year but early in the preseason he looked great every where on the court.

TMac can run the offense with Yao Shane Bonzi L.Head
    I like that lineup as far as scoring possibility. 2 shooters, 2 post players and a superstar. Skip shot looks good right now too. I'm optimistic

20. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

Good decision by Rockets, there isn't anyone else worth keeping.

Jacobsen is another shooter... we have enough shooters now.

Its worth taking the chance on Sura if you have to let Jacobsen go.