Nurk: 4/48 deal official

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Did I say that? No, I did not. Please stop putting words in my mouth. I am perfectly capable of speaking for myself.

I was SPECIFICALLY commenting on the Nurk trade and the Nurk signing. Which were both great moves, IMHO, on Neil's part. Nowhere did I say that negates his other bad moves. Like any GM, he's hit some home runs, but also had some big time whiffs. It's the nature of the business.

Oh, I see, when Neil makes a good move, it's all just luck. In that case, can we also just chalk his bad moves up to bad luck? Seriously, if you're going to tear the guys down for his bad moves (specifically the summer of 2016), at least give him credit when he does something right.

Perhaps this is why Neil Olshey is an NBA GM and none of us are. It doesn't mater what any of us did, or didn't, know. What matters is it was a GREAT trade and Neil made it. Again, that doesn't excuse the Turner and Leonard signings and matching the Crabbe offer (although it was reported that was Paul's decision, not Neil's), but it doesn't change the fact that Plumlee for Nurk + a 1st was a GREAT trade. The fact that he just resigned Nurk for less per season than DEN gave Plumlee to come off their bench just makes it even better.

Well, you should. There aren't a lot of high scoring centers left in the NBA, and the few that are have experienced very limited post season success. The most talented offensive big man in the game, Demarcus Cousins has yet to even play one minute of playoff basketball. Defense is THE most important roll for a big man in today's game. If you can also get 15 - 20 ppg out of the center position, you should count yourself lucky.

Not sure how you interpreted my previous post as "getting really upset about" your opinion. I was just pointing out Nurk's value on the defensive end, something you admit you hadn't considered.

BNM

2. Boob-No-More

How about we consider some facts instead of just hyperbole?

Did Nurk struggle to finish at the rim during Nurk Fever? Did he "struggle" to finish over the last 4 months of last season, when his FG% was .547, which would have been good enough for the 12th best FG% in the entire league if he'd done it for the whole season? No, he struggled for the first three months of last season when he was trying to adjust to his lighter weight and new role (full time starting center for the first time in his career).

Can he still get better? Absolutely, and I expect him too. He now has a full season as a starter under his belt, playing at a lighter weight (which helps defensively in the modern game). He improved over the course of last season, and I expect to see that improvement continue. He's still only 23 and just finished his first healthy season (again the weight reduction and conditioning helps) as a full time starting center, and his FG% definitely improved as the season progressed:

October = .400
    November = .482
    December = .425
    January = .520
    February = .540
    March = .576
    April = .549

He definitely struggled to finish during October, November and December, but do those FG percentages for January - April look like someone who was struggling to finish? If he continues to anchor our defense and shoot that ell for an entire season, he's more than earning his contract. If he continues to improve, he will be an absolute steal.

Really, is it? Which "guys" specifically are you referring to? Not me, that's for sure. I have never once come up with any trade Dame ideas. He is my all time favorite Trail Blazer and I hope he remains a Blazer for life. Total strawman.

Nerlens Noel, really? That's your example???? Nerlens Noel is not "like Nurk". Did he transform DAL's defense to one of the top in the league? No, he did not. He barely played (30 games) and averaged 4.4 ppg on one of the worst teams in the Western Conference. Nurk started 79 games and averaged 14.3 ppg for the 3rd seed in the Western conference. If you want to normalize for minutes played Nurk averaged 19.5 pts/36 and Noel was half that at 10.0 pts/36. Nurk even averaged more blks/36 (1.9) than Noel (1.7) and that's the ONE thing Noel does well.

So yeah, Nurk got a bigger contract than Noel. This should surprise no one.

BNM

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I don't understand how you can hate Nurk but love Olshey.

Propagandist likes this.
  4. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Why so defensive? I just stated it seems to happen to you a lot is all. I see your girl LIKED your post though.

BLAZINGGIANTS likes this.
  5. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I don't understand how you can Love Nurk but hate Olshey.

6. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

It's easy. One contributes and tries, and the other is the Meyers Leonard of GMs.

Propagandist likes this.
  7. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

:ghoti:

8. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Hey, Meyers doesn’t complain about the lack of valet parking (he probably knows if he opened his mouth, someone would tell him he should stick to valeting himself, cuz Lord knows basketball ain’t his thing).

SlyPokerDog and Jade Falcon like this.
  9. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

I’m not defensive I just see what you’re doing. I’m not dumb. Act your age. You aren’t in high school anymore. Even your little character of “the hcp” is the most corny thing. Get over yourself.

10. Cippy91

I never said hey guys nurk is a shit center, prove me wrong. I said his breed of center is dying out. You're taking this way too seriously. I say the nurk trade was luck because all he did was sit in the bench. There was a reason we got a first round pick with that trade. Yes, nurk is great defensively and can even show some great things offensively even though most of that is thanks to dame in the pick and roll. He makes nurk look so much better. Anyways, in a few years you will see. Slow plodding centers are dying out. That’s all I said and I stand by it. Look around the league. Not hard to see where it’s going.

11. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

I'm really hoping he develops a 3 point shot.

12. Boob-No-More

I stopped reading right there, because I NEVER SAID YOU DID. So, I'm not going to waste any time or energy trying to "prove you wrong".

Jeezus, don't they teach reading comprehension in school any more? Do you even know the definition of a strawman argument? That right there is the PERFECT example of one. I never claimed, or even implied, you said "Nurk is a shit center", but now I am somehow tasked with proving you wrong?

BNM

BLAZINGGIANTS and hoopsjock like this.
  13. Cippy91

Well you devoted two posts with numbers so it’s almksg as if I said he was bad or something that led you to go there unless that’s just how you always respond. I’m also gonna day Neil doesn’t swing and miss like normal gm’s. He happens to swing and miss a lot. We had three first round picks last year and got Zach Collins with it. That’s it. I say the nurk trade is luck because once again, they included a first round pick. Nurk wasn’t proven and was riding the bench, unhappy. Summer of 2016. Letting ed go. I don’t know why some still let Neil get off easy. Without a Damian Lillard I wonder what nurks offensive numbers would look like. You’re right about defense, he’s great defensively. I just think offensively he will need to evolve or switch it up because far too often do I see him rush post moves and layups only to miss them. When we initially got him and nurk fever was happening, I was impressed. Then last season we saw the real him. Inconsistent. My whole point is while at the moment nurk is a fine center, there will come a time in a couple years where centers are gonna drag him out to the perimeter and he will not be quick enough to keep up on defense. I could definitely be wrong, but the trend for centers right now is aiming more towards versatility and being able to shoot. Let’s not forget Demarcus cousins was on the Kings before the pelicans and was injured while the pelicans played in the playoffs. He would of had playoff experience but a horrible injury took that away. It’s not like I want nurk to fail, i don’t obviously. I just think the league is evolving rapidly

14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Then how come the #1 pick was a center??

15. Boob-No-More

Again I stopped reading right there. You continue to start your posts with assumptions about what I said and how/why I said it.

You said Nurk "struggles to finish". I simply included the stats to show how much he's already improved in that area. Don't assume it means anything more than what I actually said.

OK, my turn to make an assumption... It's like you automatically assume anyone who disagrees with you on one specific point, and prevents data to support their stance, thinks you are an idiot and is attacking you personally.

I am not. I am merely refuting one specific point, complete with evidence to support my counter argument. Nothing more, nothing less.

BNM

BLAZINGGIANTS likes this.
  16. Cippy91

Because he has a developed low post game. Nurk does not. Aytons ceiling is a Hakeem type player. Does that mean he will get there? no. It's possible though.

stampedehero and BonesJones like this.
  17. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    He can retire in his country and live like a Prince/King/Dictator.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  18. Cippy91

I don't think you are attacking me. You gave me stats defensively which obviously show because he is a good defensive player. Where the debate came in was about Neil. Other than that I don't believe you are personally attacking me or feel like I have to get defensive. Just following up with my point. He was 50 percent from the field last season. He should be at 60 percent with the looks he gets. He misses a lot of easy buckets. He was bad in the playoffs offensively. I just hope he improves his game offensively, that's all.

19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

He improved throughout the season and shot over 55% over the 2nd half of the season. Considering the fact that there's some mid-range jumpers in there (that I wish blue wouldn't take), it's actually pretty good.

20. Cippy91

I am not even gonna argue it anymore, dudes on here go crazy over Nurk not to mention the other two on the forum who tried starting shit with me for whatever reason on this thread. Heat really getting to people out here in oregon, damn