Nurk and RoCo made available in trade talks

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Dec 14, 2021.

1. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Since the rumors and coming off the bench Roco is playing his best most engaged ball of the season. Like maybe he's trying to play himself onto another team.

Nurkic seems to be doing the opposite. In the Hornets game the Blazers played so much better when Nurk went to the bench it was like someone flipped a switch.

2. sheed30

sheed30 Well-Known Member

This “Fire Cronin” if so and so is true when no one has a clue what is true just goes to show you how toxic some of you guys are! The man isn’t on the job more than two weeks..you can’t make this shit up how hilarious some of you are

RickyJoe likes this.
  3. Zach Collins Enthusiast

Zach Collins Enthusiast Bored

None
    I think the players we need to trade are CJ and Zeller. I don't wanna think how we'll plummet whrn they make their return to the lineup

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think that frames the problem incorrectly. There are some key questions that need to be answered first.

Is CJ good enough to be a starter? Yes.

Should CJ be starting next to Dame? Not if you want to win a championship.

Is CJ worth 30 million a year? Debatable. To some teams he is.

Should CJ be making 30 million a year on the Blazers? No. He should not be our second highest paid player. The fact that he's making that much money and is arguably our second best player is why we're in this mess.

It's like some weird paradox where CJ would be best suited as a 6th man on this team, but that would mean that we have a talented enough starting five to move him to the bench.... but if he was a 6th man he wouldn't be making 30 million a year. I think he's probably too talented to be a 6th man. He should be starting, just not for the Blazers.

5. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I'm fine with him being the 2nd highest paid player, just he shouldn't be in the same zip code, let alone area code, as Damians salary.

The duo won't win them any titles though.

6. Zach Collins Enthusiast

None
    CJ is terrible, he allows twice as many points as he scores, he isn't worth 30 million to any team and no one would trade for him unless its for another bad player who is hurting his team and is overpaid like for example Bertans from the Wizards.
    Our only hope is to move him to the bench where there are better defenders like my man Tony Snell but I don't see that as working either.
    Right now I'm just hoping he stays sidelined for as long as possible cause the game he's back, we're being blown out again.
    His last game was the Celtics game, ever since he's been injured, we've been playing much better

Haakzilla likes this.
  7. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Ahh certainty without evidence sure makes people seem brilliant.

8. Zach Collins Enthusiast

None
    What evidence do you want? Are you not watching the games?

9. Zach Collins Enthusiast

None
    Check out the numbers by players he's been guarding, I know there's such a stat but don't know how to find it. Excluding small sample sizes, he's probably the worst in the league.
    Basketball is played on both ends of the floor and CJ is a minus player fot an NBA team

10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

That would be a dream. Hearing anything, or just wishful thinking? I struggle to see how we move CJ, Nurk, Roco for those 2, even with picks involved, but I'd love to see it.

GoBlazersGo and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  11. blazerkor

Executives in this league have long valued offense over defense... that's just the way it's been and it's skewed that way more and more over the last three decades. I've watched CJ be an absolute sieve on defense but I've watched the same thing from Dame. The truth is that playing next to each other is a huge disservice to both players. So given what I hear national analysts say about CJ, I would have to think that he has positive trade value to at least some of the GMs around the league. It's not your certainty that CJ gives up too many points that makes your post shit, it's your certainty that you know the mind of 29 GMs.

12. Zach Collins Enthusiast

None
    CJ is 437 out of 483 players in defensive rating, Norman Powell btw is 433

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/a...dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*15&SeasonType=Regular Season

13. Zach Collins Enthusiast

None
    Otto Porter Jr. Btw, is number 1.
    Of course I was begging for us to sign him on numerous posts this summer. But my posts are shit...

TBpup likes this.
  14. blazerkor

Did you read the post you are responding to? I wasn't arguing with you about CJ being garbage on defense. CJ next to Dame is an awful idea. NBA GMs like offensive numbers because they are far easier to quantify in a vacuum whereas defensive numbers are as much of a reflection of the personnel a player is teamed up with as they are the player's abilities. The guy gets buckets and that's very valuable.

To say that you're sure that CJ can't be moved with value coming back in return is presumptuous to say the least. We know that we've had a GM that thought his value was all star level and don't know if the new GM feels the same way because he has been in that same front office since CJ was drafted but if Cronin does have a more realistic view of CJ's value and if we could get something good in return for CJ, Cronin in his eleven days of being GM can't have shown us what could be done with CJ or what he's willing to do because CJ has been injured the entire time.

I'm not saying that we can get something great for CJ but I have heard a lot of former GMs call Dame and CJ the best back court in the NBA and that has been with CJ putting up abysmal defensive stats for the entirety of his tenure starting. So what I have been saying is that when people in here take an absolute stance that CJ has no trade value, they come off very foolishly and the take is premature because his value hasn't been gauged by a reasonable GM.

15. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

We're not the ones in charge of free agent signings, in case you were uncertain.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  16. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    Orion Bailey, blazerkor and craigehlo like this.
  17. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

18. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Well CJ and Powell and Dame and Simons there defense rating is about the same between 115 to 117. But Dpm Powell is little better then other 3 and other 3 is over 2.0. so there all below average defenders. Do I think CJ should be traded yes for players that's fit the system and that can create off the dribble. Because right out ball handling skills are terrible. You got Dame right now is the only one can create for other guys. CJ could but that's not is DNA and Simons what's to be like the other two he just wants to shoot.

19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Same here. I wanted him on Portland's roster for exactly what he is doing in GS.

20. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

If Porter Jr signed for only 2 million, he clearly wanted to go there..... instead of anywhere else.

Natebishop3 and RR7 like this.