Nurk and RoCo made available in trade talks

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Dec 14, 2021.

1. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

Porter was rumored to be celtics' 1a for the mid level exemption with rudy gay 1b. they struck out on both.

2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Reading between the lines, so was Chauncey

3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you might be right on Porter. I am a little skeptical that any team was actually offering the maximum tax-MLE for him, but maybe.

I'd imagine you'd make the same argument for why Portland used the max-MLE in 2020 on Derrick Jones one week before the Suns signed Jae Crowder?

still, if Portland is not going to sign the most attractive free agents, that means they have to do even more to maximize the cap-space/Exception capital they have and sign decent players. They can't waste it because they need to have the added leverage of tradable contracts

besides that, I'm extremely skeptical that Portland was seriously after any of the more attractive free agents considering who Olshey actually did target with cap-space and MLE: Roy Hibbert (max), Enes Kanter (max), Spenser Hawes (max MLE), Greg Monroe (max), Chandler Parsons (max), Whiteside (max), Evan Turner, Jones (max-MLE). Good lord that's a sad resume

4. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not arguing in favor of anything Olshey did. Simply saying that a guy going someplace other than here isn't a good indication of our level of interest.

riverman, Minstrel and RR7 like this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

yeah, Im sure Olshey ran into agents that simply said my guy doesn't want to play there as long as there are options. I just dont think Portland is a destination for most top line players. Not even like it maybe once was back in the 70's, 80 's.

riverman and Phatguysrule like this.
  6. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Agreed. Even in the 90s, before the salary cap.

Hoopguru likes this.
  7. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Honestly, Portland was probably more appealing before Paul Allen died. Allen had a reputation for loving basketball, loving the Blazers and doing everything first-class for the players. Even if Portland isn't a "destination city," that kind of thing matters a lot, especially when combined with a famously invested fanbase. I don't know anything about Jody Allen and I'm not trying to disparage her, but she's not "known" for anything--so I think that edge, slight as it may have been, expired with Paul Allen. The Blazers are now just a generic team like any other, but lacking the glamor city, franchise cache, coaching or star players that could tempt sought-after free agents.

8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

The day of social media has provided so much information about destinations versus back in the day when word of mouth, feature stories & pr campaigns sort of portrayed Portland as laid back mystical city ear the woods and ocean. A nice place to raise our kid.

9. illmatic99

Fischer just said Utah and GS might be bidding for Roco. Value anywhere between a first and 2 seconds.

RR7 likes this.
  10. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'm confused how the Warriors will come up with the salary for Roco unless they are trading one of their young players (Kuminga/Wiseman/Moody), and then why would they do that?

11. illmatic99

hard to figure a GS trade that could work. I love the idea of buying low on Wiseman if they think Roco is their final piece to a title. Prolly dreaming there.

Idog1976 and RR7 like this.
  12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    And just a couple years ago, we had to pay our best 1-on-1 defender plus 2 firsts for RoCo. Neil.... :beatinto:

13. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    They currently have too many players (when not dealing with Covid protocols) for their rotation, an issue which only gets "worse" when Klay Thompson gets back. Useful role-players like Juan Toscano-Anderson and Damien Lee are struggling to get minutes. Kerr has talked about the difficulty in finding minutes for everyone. I think it's unlikely they are offering much to get Covington. Especially since A. they still love Wiseman's long-term potential and B. Wiseman is more of a fit for them this year than Covington, as he's the only big-bodied center they have.

14. illmatic99

Passing along a rumor...

and one more...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    TBpup and RR7 like this.
  15. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

Rumor or blog post from December 26th?

16. illmatic99

Jusuf has been more consistent since coming back from protocols.

putting up 16/13/4 with 2 stls and a blk a game on decent efficiency.

AmirIcon likes this.
  17. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    It's interesting that he is doing well without Lillard. His turnovers were down until last night.

18. illmatic99

well he's effectively been our go to guy. Hard to hide when the ball is thrown to you on every possession.

19. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

If we keep Nurk you need find a good rim protector to play beside him in Billups system. Right Nurk might block a shot here and there but he really not a person that can raise up and protect the rim very well.

20. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I actually think that Nurk is a great rim protector even though he's not a great shot blocker. Guys as huge as Nurk create a lot of space defensively so they are more likely to alter shots than to block them. I still want Nurk traded because in this system his lack of mobility is a huge liability. His lack of a consistent jumper is also a big problem. When you mix those things with his mercurial attitude and the fact that he still refuses to finish strong every time (I know he's been better about that but it's still too inconsistent) and I want the guy gone, not someone to cover for what he doesn't have.

I guess if you could guarantee Nurk wasn't going to walk for nothing, then get an extremely mobile big that shot the three well and new how to share the paint with Nurk and could guarantee that this new big wouldn't threaten Nurk's extremely fragile ego rendering him useless... then I'd think keeping Nurk was a good idea.