Nurk doesn't get enough credit

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Nov 5, 2018.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Good points. Maybe Nurk has taken a leap. Hope so

Eastoff and Natebishop3 like this.
  2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I don't have the exact numbers (@Boob-No-More probably does somewhere) but I am pretty sure the last 40-50 games of last year he had similar stats and shooting percentages (maybe not free throws).

BonesJones likes this.
  3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I guess the difference of opinion is in whether he's getting enough credit. Not so much about how he's playing.

I think he deserves more credit for doing so much in such little time. His efficiency is through the roof. I just feel like that needs to be mentioned. I'm curious why guys like Embiid are able to be so effective in this league though.

dviss1 likes this.
  4. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Love Nurk, love how he's playing. No more softness around the rim these days. Total stud. Olshey hit a homerun on this one. And no, Nurk does not get enough credit.

5. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Nurk is my 2nd favorite Trail Blazer. I have always been partial to the underappreciated though. Mo was my 2nd favorite previously.

HailBlazers and Natebishop3 like this.
  6. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    My only real issue with Nurk this year has been his defense seems to have regressed, but after some discussions it could just be the “new”, NBA.
    Sometimes I absolutely wish he would just dunk the ball or go at guys like whiteside, but honestly he’s overall been really good, maybe their 2nd best player overall all year.

It was a concern to me he kept getting benched in the 4th quarters.

7. illmatic99

Refs have neutered defenders this season. Even Gobert seems less effective.

8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

It’s not inconceivable that a 24 year old big has taken a leap, especially one that’s only been playing the sport for 9 years.

9. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I'm just glad we didn't over pay the guy. He's on a good contract. In the future Collins will make him good trade bait.

oldmangrouch and illmatic99 like this.
  10. Blazer Freak

Blazer Freak Superstar in the Making

Management
    I think any knowledgeable basketball fan can see what is trending in the NBA. As much as people shit on Olshey, this offseason he fought back against wholesale changes and had faith in small adjustments and internal improvements to improve on our weaknesses. In today's NBA, no center Nurk's size is playing 30+ minutes a game. The speed of the game today puts him in a bad spot with the wrong matchup. Olshey got him back on a very nice (and potentially moveable deal) and banked on the improvement of ZC to cover for Nurk's lack of speed.

I think we have to look at Nurk/ZC almost as co-starters at the C, as their minutes will vary based on the matchup. There are some teams (and also just some points of each game) where Nurk isn't a good fit and Zach is gonna play big minutes. There are other teams that can't handle Nurk's size and that lets him feast.

Olshey/Stotts really should be commended on the adjustment this season. If we could just have another big that was consistently playable at the 4/5 (or just the level of play we got from Meyers last night), we would be in an awesome position moving forward.

Eastoff and Natebishop3 like this.
  11. illmatic99

I really wish we could have gotten a guy like Montrezl Harrel. He woulda been ideal for this.

Blazer Freak likes this.
  12. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Nurkic supposedly weighs 280. The Stotts system makes him play as fluidly as a forward. It's hard to find big stiffs who aren't stiff. His plus is nifty short passes. His minus is absent-minded lapses.

13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Embiid is averaging 35 minutes per game, but he's also putting up 28 ppg and 12 rebounds as well as 2.2 blocks so I can see why.

dviss1 likes this.
  14. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I wonder what Nurks trade value around the league is?

15. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I liked the way Stotts used Nurk to punish HOU for going small (to the tune of a game high +25 in 24 minutes). We're not going to out small ball HOU or GSW. Trying to do so just plays to their strengths. Stop trying to beat them at their own game and try beating them at ours. Sure, Nurk is slow footed compared to most small ball "centers". BFD. Most small ball "centers" stand zero chance stopping him in the low post either. When the other team goes small, FEED THE BEAST.

BNM

16. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Right now? ZERO.

He can't be traded until January 15.

BNM

dviss1, BonesJones and hoopsjock like this.
  17. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

He could be better defensively. I feel like he's played a little more selfishly in pnr (protecting against the roll man too much). and hasn't been quite as aggressive as a help defender.

The offense is markedly better in all facets though which is an important development long term.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Natebishop3 likes this.
  18. Blazer Freak

Management
    And I guess I should have phrased it a little differently. The only player's Nurk's size that are getting big time minutes now are the media branded "unicorns". I don't think necessarily reserve that term for superstar players, I think Collins is a "unicorn" in today's game as he has the ability to play inside and out and his minutes are not restricted based on his style of play vs other teams.

Eastoff likes this.
  19. Blazer Freak

Management
    I love the strategy. And when teams like LAL start running the PNR with McGee and Nurk is too slow to defend it, that is when Collins gets big minutes. We need one more mobile big man for depth as the season progresses, but I think this team has really improved this year, the shooting all over the roster has had a big impact.

20. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    PnR schemes are at least 90% coaching, not selfish players going rogue. The enforcement of the holding rules has allowed more opposing players to get free into the paint combined with the stupidity of going over picks against guys like Wall and Rondo instead of under to prevent penetration. Honestly what is Nurk supposed to do if he has to choose between letting Rondo have a lay-in or a Javale Mcgee dunk? The first two games of the year the weak side was actually rotating to cover Nurk's man if he helped but it hasn't happened since.

HailBlazers likes this.