Notice nurk is unhappy with his role

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mr. Robot, Nov 13, 2021.

1. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

This guy has such a bad attitude. Honestly one of the bigger crybabies to every play basketball. Maybe it's because mr.Robot is reporting even when Nurk goes to toilet that i get this crybaby feeling but it is always about how he is being misused, underappreciated etc. Seriously it's annoying.

So he thinks Billups is not still trying to change our old bad habits and he feels lied to? Right now Nurk is the least of our problems regarding how we play and he still wants to make it about himself? Everything else is clicking and only thing missing is to get Nurk more touches. Yeah right. Instead of supporting a new coach trying to shake things up he is liking posts that call him a lier. Great job.

illmatic99 and Phatguysrule like this.
  2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Just because you say it doesn't mean he's true. He's been great defensively all year long. He's averaging a career high 1.5 steals per game despite playing only 25mpg. He's near the top of the league in deflections for centers. He's rebounding better than he ever has. He's also shooting a career high 60% from two.

But yeah, not the same player.

BBert, HailBlazers, RR7 and 2 others like this.
  3. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

So if he's playing so well, why is he upset? If he's playing so well, why is Billups out to get him?

4. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Dunk the ball and play like beast Nurk and not pussy Nurk and you automatically get a bigger role

Fairly-Hard and royo like this.
  5. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Maybe Billups doesn't like winning so he doesn't give him more minutes?

THE HCP likes this.
  6. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

This kinda seems like the logic we're dealing with here.

The new head coach cares more about holding back Nurk than he does winning. As did Nurks' previous head coach and Nurks' head coach before that. They all care more about holding him back than the overall success of the team.

OR they've came to the conclusion, that he's unable to play a ton of minutes in a larger role and give the team the best chance to win.

One outcome makes far more sense than the other.

THE HCP, wizenheimer, TBpup and 3 others like this.
  7. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with everything you said and I don’t think I’ve said anything that conflicts with it. But doing half his job better than ever doesn’t remotely offset the other half. My bottom line is not to blame Dame, I know he’s trying, it is to say Dame has to get back to Dame efficiency or we’re screwed.

8. royo

royo Well-Known Member

It is bit strange, how Nurk think he is best 5 in the NBA, CJ thinks he is Batman saving Gotham in 4th qtrs and Dame...
    Was Dame ever complaining about all stars, NBA first 5, MVP or anything with his team never being contender?
    Did Melo attitude helped them to mature?

I don't follow rest of the league half as deep as Blazers, but I guess there are this kind of problems in other teams. Young guys with big egos complaining. At the same time chemistry in the team is great. Best culture in the whole league.
    Are we whinners?

9. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Because we're not utilizing him as a passer, and we run zero sets that are designed to get him a good look.

10. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

We all have watched what happens when you try to run the offense through Nurk. Billups tried to "Run the Offense through Nurk". The Blazers ended up leading the league in Turnovers.
    Nurk is not a good passer. Way too lazy and he tries to "Show" or do a "Cute" pass again and again. Same flip he does instead of dunking the ball.
    You also cannot run a bunch of "Sets" through a player that is not a threat to score from beyond 5 ft out. Nurk does not command any respect for the Pick N Pop so defenders can key on him going to the basket or trying to slice a pass to a cutter.

This is basketball 101. Nurk simply does not have the skillset or maybe "Mindset" on offense that will make him successful on that end of the court. Aldridge is soft but he could shoot. Pryzbilla was tough as nails but couldn't shoot.

Nurk is soft and can't shoot.

11. Fairly-Hard

Here's another little tid bit about Nurk.
    While Lillard pretty much has the ball in his hands constantly during the game he is ranked 34th in the league in turnovers with 32 total turnovers.
    Nurk who is upset he is not being utilized well sits 40th with 29 turnovers. Three players with 31 and 2 with 30.

Nurk does not handle the ball well and we all see and watch it every game. In 325 minutes he is the worst player on the team to have handling the ball.

CJ McCollum ranked #51 with 27

One thing is for certain Simons has played 294 mins. About 2/3 of both Lillard (456 mins) and CJ(453 mins). He has 14 turnovers. Simons does pretty well with the ball in his hands.

12. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Nurk is getting the ball a lot when Dame is trapped. Sometimes good things happen, but oftentimes he forces awkward shots, gets blocked, or blows a layup. Nurk is certainly not punishing opponents in these situation. I don't know how Billups can utilize Nurk more, its not like Nurk can lead the offense.

Nurk defense is good and he certainly has value as a role player. But he's not a feature player, and if he thinks he should be I'd be fine with him walking in the summer or trading him now. I just don't believe any team is giving up a first round pick or any useful value for Nurk.

13. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    "Zero"? Almost every time Dame runs a PnR with him, it gets him the opportunity for a very good look. Because he flips it up like a scared 7th grader is his issue, not the issue of the look he has been provided.

14. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

A guy with an asst to to ratio of 1:1 should not be used as a passer

blazerkor, Tince and Fairly-Hard like this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This whole team is a work in progress right now....Nurk misses bunnies at the rim but you know what? So has Dame and CJ and Ant and others.....I'm not throwing Nurk under the bus 13 games in when he's been great on defense and has had some impactful games....he had one real clunker game. from my view...we were blown out with 30 turnovers which made the whole team more hesitant to thread the needle with passes...Nurk has stayed out of foul trouble and rebounded well....I think this is fishing for another Blazer complaint scapegoat....Nurk has mood swings...like many young people do. He acts bummed after a loss or poor performance doesn't translate into him whining...it just means he's affected by outcomes. You win and lose as a team.....we're pretty much half and half so far. I'm cheering for the guy just like I'm cheering for Dame even though Dame has been horrible shooting the ball most of the season so far....it'll click, right now it's not yet...this will take some time to gel

Hoopguru likes this.
  16. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I don't think we're really disagreeing on any of that. Portland is less that mediocre right now because Dame is shooting the ball poorly. And there seems to be a confluence of very realistic reasons why he's shooting poorly

all I'm doing is pushing back on blaming Dame for Portland's situation because I don't believe it's his fault the Blazer record is so dependent on him playing at an elite level in all phases of the game. It's the fault of the GM who somehow can't seem to find any way to bring in any player who can be an all-star level partner to Dame.

If you credit the numerous reports that Chad Buchanan (& staff) and Paul Allen had already settled on Dame as the target in 2012 before Olshey was hired, than in 10 off-seasons; and 9 trade deadlines; and 10 drafts, Olshey has not landed a single all-star. No player capable of diverting defenses from total focus on Dame. No player who could consistently run an offense. He's done some good things, but the balance is heavily slanted toward timidity and incompetence. Year after year he's ridden Dame to millions and millions in his own salary and hasn't repaid that debt. No wonder Dame plays injured...he's had to carry the team and Stotts and Olshey's snake oil ass for a decade

bobf and blazerkor like this.
  17. Fairly-Hard

Time and time again.
    To be fair here it works quite often. It’s worth running.

TBpup likes this.
  18. Fairly-Hard

This whole thread is not us throwing Nurk under a bus. It’s Nurk trying to cryptically throw Billups or others under the bus.
    Nurk started this conversation not us.

Haakzilla, GDiama and Tince like this.
  19. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

And why do you think every coach he's had is purposely not utilizing him correctly? Doesn't that seem counterintuitive?

Could one coach not see his potential? Sure. Two coaches both miss on it? Maybe. All three coaches? Highly unlikley.

Buffalo Custard and Fairly-Hard like this.
  20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We disagree about this....I don't read that into Nurk's reactions at all.....to me the guy just is wired for mood swings and it's no big deal....I think the overreaction to Nurk is fueled by fans and his teammates and the coaching staff would not see it that way either....choices. Where did he ever throw Chauncey under the bus? Neil maybe, but Chauncey? nah.......where did Nurk say he's unhappy with his role on this team since Chauncey took over? Some emoji? I'm running? Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see it. When fans think Nurk plays like a 7th grader I'm going to call it out. His misses are no different from our other players bricked layups...he has been getting charges called for going strong to the hoop and I'm sure staying out of foul trouble is part of that in his mind.

Fairly-Hard likes this.