Nurk vs. Hassan

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Nurk helps his team win games. Whiteside does not.
    Nothing more to discuss.
    Thanks and have a good night.
    Dont drive if you have been drinking.

Eastoff, Stevenson and illmatic99 like this.
  2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Drinking might be the only way to watch Blazer games if they keep playing so bad...

hoopsjock and Orion Bailey like this.
  3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Drink like a fish. Dame will approve.

4. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    For the first time all season I was just thinking that I should drink during tonight's game (I'm not much of a drinker).

5. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I dont really drink at all at this point in my life, but jeeze this season is testing that...

hoopsjock likes this.
  6. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I talk about drinking more than I actually drink. The rates of both have jumped this season

hoopsjock and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Nurk is better than Hassan but that doesn’t mean Hassan needs to be shat on. This team would have 0 wins without him.They literally haven't won one game without him.

jonnyboy, royo, bobf and 2 others like this.
  8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

you are right. He doesnt deserve to be shat on, but the fact is his stats dont equate to wins. Sure. Sometimes he does enough, but he is out of position more often than not. look at his double doubles. Whats the win percentage? .500%?

Too much money for not enough win% from him for all the stTs he puts up.

9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Nonsense. He has as many "wins" as Dame this year. So then Dame's stats don't equate to wins in that bizarre logic. How do you know that if everything else was exactly the same and it was a healthy Nurkic instead of Whiteside, that Portland would have any more wins than they do right now? There's simply no way to determine that. We haven't had to watch Nurkic carry the burden of playing with Melo & Tolliver at PF like Whiteside has

winshares:

Damian Lillard 9.4 Hassan Whiteside 7.9 CJ McCollum 3.5 Gary Trent 1.6 Trevor Ariza 1.4 Skal Labissière 1.4 Rodney Hood 1.1 Carmelo Anthony 0.8 Nassir Little 0.6 Anfernee Simons 0.3

winshares/48:

Damian Lillard .219 Hassan Whiteside .206 Skal Labissière .122 Trevor Ariza .102 Rodney Hood .087 CJ McCollum .079 Gary Trent .073 Nassir Little .051 Mario Hezonja .040 Carmelo Anthony .024 Anfernee Simons .011

BPM:

Damian Lillard 7.3 Hassan Whiteside 3.3 CJ McCollum 0.9 Trevor Ariza -0.3 Rodney Hood -1.0 Gary Trent -1.0 Skal Labissière -1.3 Mario Hezonja -3.1 Carmelo Anthony -4.0 Anfernee Simons -4.3

Wins over replacement:

Damian Lillard 13.23 Hassan Whiteside 6.75 CJ McCollum 4.32Trevor Ariza 0.91 Gary Trent 0.81 Rodney Hood 0.54 Skal Labissière 0.27 Mario Hezonja -0.54 Carmelo Anthony -2.16 Anfernee Simons -2.16

10. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

I'd like to see us sign kanter this off-season with mle. Let Whiteside go..

11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

meh. Stats arent everything.
    I wonder what it would like like if you took the win/loss percent of nurk when he has a double double vs Whiteside?

cRe to figure that and see what it breaks down to?
    You are comparing Whiteside to other Blazers

break down all players in the nba this season who have had at least ten double doubles. Whats the win/loss percent of those games for those players aNd wheee does Whiteside fall in line?

ill eat my crow if he is in the top half. Im betting he falls in the bottom half.

12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Put Nurk as the starter with Melo at the '4' and any selection of Ariza/Bazemore/Mario at the '3' and see what happens. I'm guessing, it doesn't go well.

tester551 and hoopsjock like this.
  13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

sure. But Nurk isn't running around crying about not being defensive player of the year when his inflated stats don't equate to inflated wins.
    I see why Miami got rid of him for so cheap.

this is a team sport. How many teams have you seen sin it all with a self interested stat stuffer on the team?
    Westbrook aNd Harden haven't won shit.
    Davis couldn't win without Lebron and still technically hasn't.

Im not saying he is a bad guy, im saying its more important to play team ball for us than it is to get stats.

14. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Of course that is all true. But I thought the premise was Nurk vs Hassan. Nurk hasn't won anything either. In fact, you could make a pretty easy argument that Denver has been better since he left. I'm not anti-Nurk in the least. Just trying to look at the whole thing from a bigger context.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I mean Denver literally gave Portland a 1st round pick to take Nurk though so you can't really use the "Miami gave Whiteside away for cheap" argument with one and not the other.

16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

When allll the numbers are telling you one thing, while (some) people are telling you another, we have a nice little case of confirmation bias. Sure stats lie, but not when they all suggest the same thing. But because of that bias, every mistake he makes will be magnified and blown up into something it’s not. If Whiteside was the primary catalyst of this teams issues, why haven’t they won any of the games he’s missed?

Does he have holes in his game? Of course. Most players do. It’s also funny how a lot of people didn’t truly appreciate Nurkic until he was gone. I could bring up so many posts where I or others had to defend him on here, many times concerning the same exact stuff Whiteside is getting accused of.

I look at it is like this; Nurk is a top 10, borderline top 5, center. He’s elite. Whiteside is more in the 10-20 range. Still solid, still makes an impact, still better than Meyers, and if he’s willing to be a backup next season, we’re going to have a massive advantage over other teams.

Orion Bailey, tester551 and TBpup like this.
  17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I love Nurks game, and WS is still a good center, but in todays NBA is the center position important enough that having a bit advantage there is even worth it? Seems to me they really need upgrades at 3 / 4.

18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

yeah it’s worth it. Look at when we had Nurkic against golden state last year. He created massive issues for them. Those mismatches work both ways.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  19. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Blazers were successful for a while without Nurk though and beat a team with a top 3-4 center in the NBA. I agree that its always good to have that advantage and I think part of their problem is they really havent had a decent backup to whiteside all year. So I guess maybe you’re right? Im just not totally sure how well that would work. Would be on board with finding out though.

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

personally I like the idea of going big while everyone else goes small. That was the original idea before Collins got injured and Gasol never returned. One of our primary advantages the last couple years has been rebounding. We lost that this season. Would be great to give “bully ball” an actual look.

Orion Bailey, Eastoff, TBpup and 2 others like this.