Nurkic is the best true pick and roll player Lillard has played with

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by mook, Feb 24, 2017.

1. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Ed Davis is a true pick and roll big.
    While he isn't as good as he was last year, he's a pretty damn good roll big.

riverman and Minstrel like this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Ed will benefit from practicing against Nurk instead of Plumlee...hopefully it'll get him back to his game

3. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Definitely true, but he just isn't that great at setting picks. He's a crafty finisher around the rim--pretty efficient really. But it's hard to get him the ball because he's no threat more than 3 feet from the rim and he doesn't create space for the guard with the pick and he isn't big enough or athletic enough that you can just throw it near the rim and watch him dunk. So 90% of the time you can count on Dame or CJ taking the shot, and Davis scrapping hard for the rebound. It's pretty predictable.

When Nurk is running the pick and roll, he presents so many problems for the defense:
    • He really, really seems to enjoy laying the wood on guards. Something we haven't really seen since Przybilla. That alone creates fatigue and wariness that only opens the game up more as the game goes along. Re-watch Lillard exploding in the fourth against Orlando and just look at how tentative the defense looked. It is just not fun to run into Nurk compared to Ed.
    • He gets the ball up high on a pick and he'll just palm it and see over top of defenders to pass to the open man.
    • He catches the ball on the roll because he's so big the guard can lob it in.
    • He's got the footwork as he comes in close to avoid travelling calls.
    • If he's near the rim he's so strong he can power through a lot of single coverage contact.
    • If you double down on him he'll find the guy left open.
    Because of all those problems, Portland pick-and-rolls are no longer just, "Shit, I got to work through this guy to make sure Dame/CJ don't get a clean shot." It's now, "Shit, there's a fucking mountain between me and Dame/CJ. I got to get around him, but also worry about the consequences even if I succeed."

I'm really, really excited about this addition. I think it's the single most under-reported change in the NBA right now. It's not that he's a brilliant top 3 center (who knows, maybe some day?) it's that his skill set is EXACTLY what our two best players desperately needed to make them effective. His addition to the team is so much more than the much-needed talent injection. It's his ability to create so much more leverage for our key guys to succeed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Oh you're not wrong that after two games Nurk seems better than Ed is as a screener.
    As well as more ability once the ball is in his hands after Lillard creates a 4 on 3 opportunity by passing out of the double team.
    I was just mentioning Ed is a true pick and roll big, who if he returns to his 15-16 form. He's pretty damn good in that role.
    Tbh I consider Ed to be more of a pick and roll big than Aldridge was. Aldridge just had more talent.
    Nards though does set the same wide body screen that Nurk did late in Orlando. Just Nards only rolls to the rim a handful of times a year.... Rest of the time he's a piece of drift wood.

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

"Just another guy they won't pass the ball to"

Orion Bailey likes this.
  6. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    lol, BB27 does seem to be getting a lot of touches, which I really like. Not only that, but he's getting them all over the court - low post, high post, mid range...

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah I think eventually we'll play through him just as much, if not more, than Plumlee. He's not just a post up guy. He's a legit playmaker.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Yep. So far so good

9. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Earvin Nurkic Johnson..... Kidding

rotary111 likes this.
  10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

MVP!
    MVP!
    MVP!

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I definitely won't be holding my breath when we need a bucket at the end of games like I did when Mason had to shoot them..that's for sure. Nurk can go get a bucket anytime

Dougnsalem and lawai'a like this.
  12. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Mason Plumlee is top 5 in the league in screen assists so get out of here with that. I'm not disagreeing with your main point, but if you want to call Nurk the best P&R player Dame has played with then you should also call Mase the best screener Dame has played with.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

So first of all, look how he makes Dame better:

14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

2nd... witness the glory.... we are all witnesses. What a great trade Neil! Now if you can figure out what to do with Crabbe's and Leonard's contracts I'll give you a pass for this season.

15. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Love the screen by Nurk at the 2:38 mark. Totally rocked Elfrid Payton's world.

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  16. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Judging by his hair it has happened before.

17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

WTH is that anyhow? Some sort of mega sun visor? A launching trampoline for lice? A place for birds to build a nest when they migrate back north this spring? I mean. Ive been trying to figure out wtF it is for a while now....

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  18. mook

Well, he gets assists with nifty passing off the screen (which Nurk can also do), not because he just made the guard on the pick suddenly wonder where all the chirpy birds dancing around his face came from. I never saw Plums actually daze somebody with a pick.

Plumlee is a gifted passer for a center, but actually extremely forgettable as an actual pick-setter. Nurk is a good passer but not as good, but then you don't have to deliver a brilliant pass if you just made a big opening for the guard.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  19. mook

I love all those slick little post shots he gets in there. He's very Sabonis-esque right around the rim. Big and slow-looking but oddly coordinated and versatile. And like Sabas he just kind of moves people around a lot more than you'd think he would (especially after watching Meyers Leonard for several years.)

dviss1 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  20. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    One of the things I like about BB27's game is his method of offense. He goes into the defender, not to overpower them a la Shaq, but because when they're pushing so hard against him, they can't jump. So, he just raises his arms and shoots right over them. An awesome tactic for a big man, and a sensible one for a big man that can't jump. Not physical domination, just using what you've got.

Since the technique is based on size, and not "athleticism", he'll be able to do it when he's 35, no problem. Lock him up, Neil!