Notice Nuts in Old Town

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by HailBlazers, May 13, 2020.

1. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Not all day! But, really I tried to keep myself busy. I was usually either at a soup kitchen eating, at the library/reading, walking, etc.

There is higher percentage at least 60% if not higher that are physically disabled/mentally Ill. About 10% are runaways, with about half of them escaping abusive situations. A small percentage is perhaps the lazy few you speak off, and the rest are people who hit hard times and lost their jobs and homes. Many of across the board have turned to drugs unfortunately as a way to escape.

Your bleak prediction may come to pass. I hope not, but maybe if it does it will force Oregon to actually look at and fix the problem. Probably not, but hey.

2. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

What a false binary....

3. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

So........millionaire or billionaire......?? Let’s see, tax cuts mean less revenue. Less revenue means cuts to government services. Cuts to government services mean social services take the first (and biggest) hits. Prove me wrong. “False binary” my ass. It’s just basic code for “fuck everybody else”.

RickyJoe and GriLtCheeZ like this.
  4. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

He was, if a little distant. And spent too much time working. I wish I could say he was one of the Blanchet House founders, but I can certainly say he was part of the foundation. Ironically, the group was, in general, largely hardcore Republicans who had it ingrained in them from childhood that the more fortunate had an obligation to give back to those in need. They hated paying taxes with a passion but they had no problem donating their time and large sums of money to worthy causes. In other words, Republicans who actually had hearts. Miserly Mitch are you listening????

BLAZINGGIANTS and riverman like this.
  5. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Maybe the government should buy Edgefield out in Troutdale from the McMenamin's, and convert it into a facility where the homeless could live and work in the fields to earn their keep and learn skills. We could call it a 'Poor Farm', or something like that.

barfo

riverman and EL PRESIDENTE like this.
  6. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Nah, use that abandoned prison they just got from Jordan Schnizter.

Yours is a better option than letting them continue to shoot up drugs and shit on the streets.

riverman likes this.
  7. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Sounds like how I was raised? Couldn't be a vagrant after a certain hour in just about any town, there were vagrancy laws back then, especially down town, taught to respect the police even though I didn't always do that. And yes as a kid I was expected to jump on the berry bus at 4:30 every morning and go work those fields, and I was as poor as you could get then. But when I got a workers permit at 15 and juggled ball with working and school, I learned to make choices on how I wanted to live. And it wasn't always about money but just striving to have a good time, save a few bucks and try to be productive. But man, girls always had a way of side tracking me.

riverman likes this.
  8. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

We could invent another kind of facility, this one for teens whose sexual drive clouds their judgement. We could call it a 'high school'.

barfo

Hoopguru likes this.
  9. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    What you call lazy is something that has all kinds of different reasons which are loosely thrown together in a big pot labeled lazy. My brother was called lazy although he was mentally ill. His illness would come and go so when he was acting normally people thought he was lazy but not true. In fact, according to a quality control expert who was revered in Japan and taught a class I took at Tektronix said that it is human nature that people want to do a good job. It's not for the shallow thinkers to declare they know the reason that they don't do a good job and that's because they are lazy. The determination of what gets in the way is best left up to the experts in sociology and psychology.
    I write this because of the unfair way that my brother, who was a very good and very hard worker before he got sick, who served in the United States Marines, was treated and when people called him lazy. I bristle at that term.

10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Oh I get it and to an extent I admit i'm generalizing, but I lived down down Portland more than one time. and one of those times was basically on the streets in 93-94 and I saw up front and personal who the homeless were downtown.

I cant tell you how many young adults openly admitted it was easier to panhandle and sleep in the shelter than to go clean up and get a job and that's what thy preferred. I don't think deep down they preferred it, but they just didn't have the motivation for whatever reason to get out of it. I call that lazy. Unmotivated, lacking will... whatever you want to call it, to me its self imposed. not circumstance.

Ive also seen up close how many of the young adult homeless downtown well get over on anyone any chance they get. Ive made my amends the best I can ,but ill say i'm sad to admit I was even part of something where we got over on someone... not gonna go into details, but ill take that one to my grave.

Make no mistake. much of downtown Portland homelessness is crime ridden and self induced.

HailBlazers likes this.