Odom Out Of L.A.

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Clippers' started by TommyFabs, Aug 7, 2003.

1. TommyFabs

TommyFabs JBB JustBBall Member

Lamar Odom has asked out of L.A. He wants to go to Miami, and Miami and ODom are talking about a contract worth 65-70 million over 6 years.

ODOM WANTS OUT

I don't think Odom would make a sudden impact on Miami anywayz. Especially with what Miami's roster looks like

2. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

i wouldnt be surprised to see l.a. let him go, hes a headcase and l.a. are prolly too fed up to go through a hassle to keep him. id be surprised if they can afford to match the offer now that they done that with eldon and cory...hell be in miami for sure

3. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dj_premium_plus:</div><div class="quote_post">id be surprised if they can afford to match the offer now that they done that with eldon and cory</div>
    the clippers have plenty of money to match the offer with

4. TommyFabs

Odom out of L.A.?

Odom is an ego-maniac...and hell do anything for a championship. Im surprised hes not looking for a Championship quality team. Imagine ODOM with the Lakers..Shaq,Malone,Odom,Kobe,Payton jeez..

5. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The clippers in a way have to match this offer. Sure Odom is a headcase however, if they dont match this they will show what a poor NBA franchise they have and how they cant keep their players from leaving. They have already lose Kandi and Miller. They did resign Maggete, however they need to resign him and show that they do care about their players instead of letting there players go every time they hit Free Agency. The Clippers have a terrible "player" record. Nobody wants to play for them really.

6. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

The Clippers have plenty of money to offer, but we know Sterling won't spend.

7. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting slamduncan21:</div><div class="quote_post">the clippers have plenty of money to match the offer with</div>

Even that is irrevelant.

The Clippers have his bird rights. Menaing they can go over the cap to sign him back. Even if they are $100 million over the team salary cap limit, they can still max out Odom.

The Clippers are currently at $32 million. Resigning Odom puts them right around the salary cap level.

The Clippers should match the offer IMO. A Odom/Brand forward tandem is very good. Much better than a Richardson/Brand one.

But I doubt DTS wants to pay someone who doesn't want to be there.

8. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But I doubt DTS wants to pay someone who doesn't want to be there.</div>

I doubt DTS wants to pay someone who wants to be there.

9. TommyFabs

odom outta la

right, even if the clipps did match it, Odom would not accept it, he doesn't wanna be there. If u read the article I posted bout this whole thing, odom is upset at alot of things. Like they have no practice facility, and they aren't doing anything about it

10. Vintage

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TommyFabs:</div><div class="quote_post">Odom is an ego-maniac...and hell do anything for a championship. Im surprised hes not looking for a Championship quality team. Imagine ODOM with the Lakers..Shaq,Malone,Odom,Kobe,Payton jeez..</div>

What?

He'd have to sign for the minimum. No way he does that. Because if he signed at the minimum for 1 year, Los Angelas Lakers wouldn't hold his bird rights, and the Clippers wouldn't either.

For a team to have bird rights on a player, that player must be with that team for a minimum of 3 years.

So if Odom signed the minimum for 3 years, he would get bird rights with that team. But in the meantime, he'd be losing $30 million. Not worth going to the Lakers if you are going to lose $30 million. And thats assuming he is able to get the max coming from the Lakers. If he doesn't, he'd lose even more money. Not likely to happen.

Odom will either be kept in a Clipper uniform, or go to Miami.

This isn't a sim league. You are dealing with real money. Players don't turn down $30 million in real life to sign with another team. In sim leagues it may happen, but this is the NBA!!!!!!! ITS A BUSINESS, NOT A GAME!!!!!!!

11. Vintage

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TommyFabs:</div><div class="quote_post">right, even if the clipps did match it, Odom would not accept it, he doesn't wanna be there. If u read the article I posted bout this whole thing, odom is upset at alot of things. Like they have no practice facility, and they aren't doing anything about it</div>

You don't understand do you?

Odom is a RFA. Meaning as long as the Clippers match it, he is stuck in Los Angelas.

HE IS NOT A UFA!!!!!!!!

He would have to accept the one year tender, and then the following year be one, like Kandi was this offseason.

But the Clippers only have to match the offer to keep Odom; regardless of whether or not he wants to be there.

Read the C.B.A.

12. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

never thought of the bird rights...but i still dont think the clipps will keep him.

on paper they should keep him, but if he doesnt want to play there, they shouldnt resign him, hell only screw up team chemistry not wanting to be there and hurt them. they need him, but if he doesnt want to be there, then thats that

13. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, he HAS to accept it if they offer it to him, until he becomes an unrestricted free agent. So, even if he hates the Clippers, and they want him, he is stuck.

14. TommyFabs

like dj premium said...y wuld they take him if he is just going to screw things up....he don't wanna play there he is just gonna have an attitude playing with the team..it dont make sense

15. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

Lets him be free I would get sick of the Clippers. Just start Maggete at small forward and Richardson at shooting guard. Or sign and trade him for a point guard.

16. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

I am not saying they will take him, I am just saying that if they do he has no choice.

17. jbbSpree

jbbSpree JBB JustBBall Member

i really hope he stays with the clippers with brand and maggette. Think in the future, would he really be better off in miami building with a no contender or building with the clippers, who have a very young, but talented roster. IMO id love him to stay put for the moment, then again if he hates the place, do u wanna resign him..

18. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Seems he is gone..i bet clips try and do a sign and trade....with L.A trying to get back Eddie Jones...as EJ would be no longer needed at Heat with Odom there..along with Wade and Butler

19. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

yes a sign and trade could be the solution for both teams. eddie jones doesn't make sense because his contract will expire in 2006/07. the clippers would probably want future draft picks and young players, and a 3rd team might have to be involved to make this happen.

maybe they can involve the grizzlies who are loaded with young talent, and eddie jones has always been a favorite for Jerry West.

future draft picks from the grizz and heat and possibly brevon knight or wes person (both have expiring contracts) would satisfy the clippers.

grizzlies get a solid shooting guard in eddie jones.

miami gets lamar odom.

20. twolvefan11

twolvefan11 JBB Banned Member

This is a blow to the Clippers. Next year they will get back Miles off of free agency.