OT ODOT BUILDING PLAN TO TOLL COMMUTERS

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BigGameDamian, Nov 20, 2017.

1. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Wow!
    :party:

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  2. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

I can vouch for this as a person who frequents the Denver area. I've literally never seen a single car, among thousands, in the toll lanes. Less free lanes=more traffic for everyone. Toll lanes are like golf courses, they are elitist and take up entirely too much room.

3. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Every time I go to California the fast pass lanes are empty and thousands of people are idling along doing 15 mph right next to them.

That HAS to be good for the environment huh?

Yes, let's double the time the majority of the cars are on the road so a few rich people can fly by. And the roads are full of debris... California is a hole. Don't let them do that to Oregon people.

4. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I would agree that single tolled lanes are not the way to go. Tolling the interstate bridges is what makes sense.

barfo

5. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    You boys are going to ruin the plans! Get the commuters to get pissed and not drive because it is so ugly. I don't know what their plan is
    for the people that need a car at work though. I can guess, screw umm.

6. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Unfortunately for all of us. Californians are moving to the NW and Vegas at a rapid pace. That's all the plan is accomplishing as of now.

7. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    The Interstate was not intended to be a commuter lane, but it is. Who will come to grips with the reality of the population has increase to maybe 2.5 time what it was when the Interstates were built and on track to double that by the middle of this century. The whole damn interstate with every lane a commuter lane will be totally inadequate. It doesn't much matter whether they switch places or not. Cal, Or, and WA are all on the same glide.

8. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Interstate tolls are unconstitutional.

Freedom of movement under United States law is governed primarily by the Privileges and Immunities Clause of the United States Constitution which states, "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States." As far back as the circuit court ruling in Corfield v. Coryell, 6 Fed. Cas. 546 (1823), freedom of movement has been judicially recognized as a fundamental Constitutional right. In Paul v. Virginia, 75 U.S. 168 (1869), the Court defined freedom of movement as "right of free ingress into other States, and egress from them."

jonnyboy likes this.
  9. barfo

You are free to swim across the river anytime you want.

barfo

10. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I use the fast pass whenever I go into San Francisco’s. For a very large and tightly packed city traffic isn’t nearly as bad as in pdx although there are sports like the gg bridge.

Didn’t Portland offer to pay half of a bridge as long as it had a max line and that was rejected by those in Vancouver? The traffic is their fault and they see it as worth the tax relief.

I say toll the bridge and over time build an additional one with the funds.

11. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    With traffic the way it is on the bridges now, it's quicker to drive to TBOTG from Portland, and cross.

For me in Beautiful Central Oregon, the mismanaged Portland/Vancouver traffic swamp is an obstruction to avoid anytime crossing the border.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  12. barfo

Bridge of the Gods is a toll bridge, you know.

barfo

dviss1 likes this.
  13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Are you fucking kidding me?????
    when they use funds to "Improve the aesthetics" of 205? I swear if I didnt have so little time on my hands, I would devote myself to the city planning committee.

Why the hell are we putting steel rope barriers in the median of 205 right now???? Has anyone else seen this? Complete with concrete footings?

When it comes time to expand the highway (which is what they should have done to begin with) they will now have this rope barrier preventing them from working both sides at once!!! It is the most idiotic thing Ive ever seen in my life, and i've spent most of it in construction and new road paving including a stint with the NYDOT.

I'm all about paying for improving the roads, but when the ODOT is spending it on rope lines for a 5o' wide median that isn't an immediate danger, but they cant fix the overpass junctions in West Linn that causes traffic in a 65 MPH zone to have to slow down to 45 to feel safe, it's pretty frustrating and a telling sign that there is not a clear long term goal/plan that is efficient and progressive.

IF I had previously known where and when these meetings that are open for public debate were, I would have tried hard to start attend and provide insight/long term planning ideas.

Edit: After checking the meeting times listed for this discussion, they are during standard work hours!!!!!! So in order to have a voice, you must forfeit a day of work or vacation day????

What the hell happened to evening town hall meetings and the such? These things should be held after hours when it is for the public to have a voice!!!!!!!

Man......They do everything they can to make sure the little man gets heard......

jonnyboy likes this.
  14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Do you really think the city would sacrifice its economy by forcing such a toll that the workforce sits and home???
    Do you realize the long term impact that would have on companies already struggling to find quality employees??? And thus the impact on the city and states' tax revenue?? It would far surpass what the toll would bring in....

Secondly, show me ANY toll ANY where that is so high that it has forced commuters off the road.... Keep in mind Ive lived on the east coast.....

Lets get real here.

15. barfo

That's not the idea - the idea is to encourage other forms of commuting, and to encourage non-rush-hour commuting.

They might have to hire people who live closer to work, or who are willing to take public transit, or who are willing to pay the tolls? They might have to be flexible about work hours?

If true, then that's just a sign the toll isn't high enough.

Ok, let's do. What's your alternative? Build more lanes of freeway? How much more tax are you willing to pay for that?

barfo

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

This metro area isn't built up enough to have every community economically dependent on itself and thats not how most metro areas are built.
    There are zones.
    So for example, I work in Tualatin, in a large industrial area. There is not even close to enough residential to sustain all of the business.
    Conversely, I live in central east Portland, and there is not nearly enough industrial to sustain the population of the residential area of east Portland.
    So moving closer to work is not an option for most people in most areas.

Now combine that with the geographical landscape of the Portland metro area(Hills and rivers impeding commutes, creating bottlenecks) and that weeds out most alternative forms of transportation.

Again, for example, I cant ride a bike from my house to my work... not in a reasonable amount of time anyhow.
    I also cant use max/public transportation because the several transfers required creates a transit time that equals my commute in my personal vehicle.

IF you want a long term solution, it will kill big business wanting to move to Portland. There would have to be a zoning and tax realignment that allows for indiviuals to be able to afford to live closer to their work, which would require a combination of tax relief to afford those higher priced areas and smaller zoning sections, so residential neighborhoods are closer to industrial parks, and the industrial parks would need limitations on size...

But then this creates more traffic as businesses send and receive products to be processed to one another via metro couriers.

There is no easy answer, but it starts with long term planning that encompasses both the residents and the businesses of Portland. With that said, Ive seen enough not to trust the current committee with the spending of the funds they raise and I am not in favor of any increase of funding until I see some improvements in spending priorities and efficiency.

I do know this. Raising tolls will not clear the roads, as you have insinuated. It will just create more road rage.

jonnyboy likes this.
  17. barfo

Agreed, it's a difficult problem, and certainly no single thing will fix it completely.

Is there more road rage on toll roads? Seems like that should be statistically knowable.

As for your situation, I'm unconvinced that you couldn't move to Tualatin if you wanted to. There are houses there, I've seen them. Of course there are tradeoffs in doing so, I'm not suggesting that you should want to. But the point of tolling is to shift the balance of those tradeoffs. If you had to pay a million dollars a day to commute, you'd either move or get a job closer to home. If it costs you one penny to commute, you aren't going to worry too much about it. Somewhere in the middle is a number which will cause the balance to tip the other way for some fraction of people.

barfo

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Fair enough, but only if zoning allows for such a shift, or there will be severe economic ramifications.

My wife and I are currently looking to move closer to my work, but based on what we are looking for in order to live comfortably, it severely limits the options available.

Most houses in Tualatin, Sherwood, Lake O., West Linn are some of the most expensive in the area. I work for a great company and make a better than average wage, but not close to enough to live "well" in these areas where the average house value is like $600,000 or more.

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Id like to add on the point highlighted above that moving closer may not be a financial option for many and finding another job would (in my case) likely result in a step down in pay and scale and/or a complete shift in occupation, as most of the companies near me are retail and not manufacturing. So depending on skillset, finding another job closer is not always an option either.

20. barfo

All true. Tradeoffs... might have to pitch a tent in the brush down by the river, or take to drugs and stealing.

barfo