Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by Glen Infante, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

Damon Jones, Morris Peterson, Ron Mercer, and Travis Best are all solid players that probably won't cost a grip. They seem more likely to be looked at also imho.

BTW, great list Karm. I wouldn't have wanted to type down all those names. :bigthumbu

2. KarmaCav

KarmaCav JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr_Infante:</div><div class="quote_post">Damon Jones, Morris Peterson, Ron Mercer, and Travis Best are all solid players that probably won't cost a grip. They seem more likely to be looked at also imho.

BTW, great list Karm. I wouldn't have wanted to type down all those names. :bigthumbu</div>

Cut and paste son!!!

Typing all that :thumbsdow

3. mustafa_shakur

mustafa_shakur JBB JustBBall Member

Turkoglu, would be nice. It also depends what our draft status is and what we plan to lose in the expantion. Like, if we lost Ollie and didn't get a pg in the draft, we may want to atleast pick up a vet backup, like... Kenny Anderson.

4. KarmaCav

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mustafa_shakur:</div><div class="quote_post">Turkoglu, would be nice. It also depends what our draft status is and what we plan to lose in the expantion. Like, if we lost Ollie and didn't get a pg in the draft, we may want to atleast pick up a vet backup, like... Kenny Anderson.</div>

Thats right Mustafa!

The Bobcats may take a player, therfor leaving a hole!

Plus we may have no picks (we make playoffs, and Toronto pick is <18)
    One pick (we miss the playoffs and Toronto pick is <18)
    One Pick (we make the playoffs and Torontos pick is >18)
    Two picks (we miss the playoffs and Torontos pick >18)

Plenty to take into account!

5. MikeS

MikeS JBB JustBBall Member

Future Offseason Moves

1. Who do the Cavs protect now?

2. Should the Cavs trade Z, resign him. or just let his contract expire?

3. If we keep Z until the summer of 2005 and let his contract expire, can we sign a max free agent first and then sign Z afterward even if we are over the cap?

I say we protect in this order.

1. Lebron
    2. Boozer
    3. Z
    4. Wagner
    5. Diop
    6. Brown
    7. Kapono
    8. Mcginnis (if we keep him) Battie if we don't

Eric Williams is a free agent so I don't think we can protect him. We need to either pay the BobCats 3 mill to take Newble or buy out his contract. Kedrick Brown is better then him defensively and offensively. We could leave Battie off b/c he is going to have surgery on his kness this offseason and the BobCats wouldn't risk it.

On the subject of Z, I think we should keep him and try to sign him to a three year deal around 7 million. I think that would be fair. I think if we added a big time player like Ray Allen or Tmac, our team would be an dominant force in the league.

<font color="Red">Please use the "Edit" button, KJ</font>

6. Glen Infante

7. mustafa_shakur

mustafa_shakur JBB JustBBall Member

I like brown, but I don't think he can be protected. To not keep Battie, to me would be stupid. If we wanted brown that bad you could probably trade Battie to Charlotte get brown back and more. Not that I would want to do that but, I hink that's just another reason to protect Battie.

Big men are hard to come by.

8. KarmaCav

You have to protect Battie, particulary if he stays healthy. Both Battie and Brown are free agents after next season, so I'd try to keep both!

9. MirORich

MirORich JBB JustBBall Member

For those who say we need a pure shooter,
    why don't we package Wagner, this years #1 and Battie to Seattle for Ray Allen

10. redscoon

redscoon JBB JustBBall Member

It would make no sense to protect Kedrick, we don't even play him the way it is.

Best case scenario, Newble gets pick in the expansion draft, but I don't see that happening. In fact, I'll be surprised if any players from out team go in the draft.

Ray Allen's contract is up at the end of next year if I'm not mistaken, so the Cavs wouldn't want to trade too much and then leave the door open for Ray Allen to walk after just one season.

11. KarmaCav

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MirORich:</div><div class="quote_post">For those who say we need a pure shooter,
    why don't we package Wagner, this years #1 and Battie to Seattle for Ray Allen</div>

Firstly we may not have a first rounder this summer!

Secondly, Seattle say no thanks!

12. MirORich

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KarmaCav:</div><div class="quote_post">Firstly we may not have a first rounder this summer!

Secondly, Seattle say no thanks!</div>

Point taken on the fact that we may not have a first rounder this summer; but as far as Seattle, there have been recent articles in the local papers their about the sonics apprehension about being able to sign Allen.

13. MirORich

Here's a crazy trade idea.

Scenario is:

Unfortunately the Cavs falter down the strecth and we end up with a lottery pick
    Hornets sputter out in the first round and realized that they may have maxed out with their current squad.

Cavs trade:
    Z
    Wagner
    2004 Pick

for Mashburn and Magloire

Don't know if I'd do it, but just though I'd throw it out there as one last pre-tip off idea

14. Glen Infante

I don't think the Hornets need Wagner. They would need someone to replace the offensive pressence of Mashburn.

15. DajuanWagner#2

DajuanWagner#2 JBB JustBBall Member

The first thing Cavs should do is to resign Boozer and Williams. Maybe resign McInnis to, but I would prefer it if they signed Brent Barry instead, he's a FA after this season, and I hope they try to get him. If another team overbid Cavs and get Barry, resign McInnis. I would like to see Cavaliers try to get a shooter to, my first pick is Mobley as made it hard for Cavs against Rockets last night. Mobley is great at offense, deffense and a good teamplayer, so go for that man Cavs, go for him!

16. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

People I'd be wanting for your team to look out for are Dampier, Snow, Mobley and Barry. If Z is unable to keep with pace well enough in the future, Dampier will be a great overall addition. Wagner should be rid of, McInnis is great, if traded he'd net you some valuable guys, Big Zee too.

I say go for Mobley at most, he can defend well, has great offense which the Cavaliers need. Same goes for Barry although his defense isn't as good, he is unselfish and will join LBJ in passing the rock.

17. KarmaCav

Get this straight!!!

Mobley isn't a free agent
    We have an option on McInnis, so we dont need to resign him.
    Snow, Dampier are all currently signed and not worth trading for
    New Orleans already have Davis, Armstrong, Wesley, Drew and Shammond Williams. No need for another undersized guard like Wagner.
    Barry will come over priced and he is ageing!

My thought still stands at looking at Stephon Jackson!

If we make the playoffs and Toronto miss we have no contracts for a 1st rounder. Let Eric Williams walk and sign Jackson.

18. Glen Infante

Damon Jones, fellas. He can play 1 and 2 and can shoot the ball. Perfect.

19. CP20

CP20 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think Jones qualifies as someone who can "shoot it". His FG and 3pt percentages are on par with Ollie. That's certainly not what this team needs. I say we target whatever Euro SA doesn't keep (Ginobili or Turkeyglue).

Question: When do we have to decide on whether or not to keep McInnis? Is it before or after the draft?

20. Glen Infante

SA will keep Ginobili. He isn't going to be an option.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Question: When do we have to decide on whether or not to keep McInnis? Is it before or after the draft?</div>

July