Offical Pistons Vs Sixers First Round Thread

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by Avery, Apr 23, 2005.

1. MizzMcGrady1

MizzMcGrady1 JBB JustBBall Member

Hey, Guy'z!!!
    Ummm, everyone thinks that Philly will pull an upset on Detroit. I read an interview that Allen Iverson did, and he says that he wants to prove to the world that they can beat Detroit, since everyones doubting them. It sounds as if he's not allowing his team to lose. I was just wondering what you guys think?

I think Detroit will come out victorious!!!

<font color="DarkRed">Please Don't Post Like Dis, and please read the guidelines for proper etiquette. Thank you. Shapecity</font>

2. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

This thread already exists its called "Sixers Playoff Notebook" u know the article ur talking about, u read it there. so this thread will probably be closed or moved to that thread. Sorry

3. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

First of all, is it necessary to start every word in caps?

But as for your question, I believe Philadelphia will shock the world. Don't hate me for having faith in my team, but like I said in another thread, hearing it in Iverson voice, I'm convinced that he will NOT allow this team to lose. That said plus the fact that I already believed in them from the get go, I'm not going to doubt this team not one bit. They can be down 3-1, I'll still have faith. Till the shot clock reads 0.00 in the Pistons potential series-winning game, than I will hush, but it's not over till it's over, and to think that only one game is completed the 76ers still have a chance. Once the ball goes into the air, nothing matters. Season series doesn't matter, MVP trophies don?t matter, championship ring(s) doesn?t matter, it all comes down to who wants it more. And the season Iverson is having and the willingness he has to win I just can't see him allowing this team to lose, well in the First Round at least.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Everyone think Sixers will beat the Pistons? hardly, Iverson has to say he is confident. Otherwise whats the point of showing up? he wants his team-mates to believe they can win. If you go into a series not beleiving that you can win then you have lost the series before It even starts.

Allen Iverson can say all the words he wants and how he is motivated and believes his team can win but the bottom line is there are no upsets in a best of 7 series, You are either the better team or you aren't. Maybe in a best of 5 game series you would find an upset here and there but in a 7 game series, the best teams always win.

Fact remains the Pistons are a title contending team who are the defending champions and they are going up against a team that barely finished above 500 this year. The Pistons are the much better team not only talent wise but coaching wise, depth and alot better defending the paint.

At the start of this series I said Pistons would win in 5 but after watching the Sixers in game 1 where as soon as the Pistons put their foot on the gas, they simply blew them away I wouldn't be surprised If it ends up a sweep. The Sixers had so many things go right for them, Iverson shot the ball well and was everywhere, Webber had the best game of his Sixer career and Sammy D did a great job on the boards and on defense. All this while Billups and Rip Hamilton both didn't add anything to the game. Pistons shut down most of the role players and really If the Pistons stay focused this series should not last too long.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Everyone think Sixers will beat the Pistons? hardly, Iverson has to say he is confident. Otherwise whats the point of showing up? he wants his team-mates to believe they can win. If you go into a series not beleiving that you can win then you have lost the series before It even starts.</div>
    I wonder why everyone was getting on Marbury for saying that. [​IMG]

Anyway I think that Detroit will sweep the Sixers. They are the champions and the Pistons have just as much to prove as the Sixers do. Everyone has been sleeping on the Pistons and I think knowing that, they will try and deliver a strong message!

6. Avery

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Everyone think Sixers will beat the Pistons? hardly, Iverson has to say he is confident. Otherwise whats the point of showing up? he wants his team-mates to believe they can win. If you go into a series not beleiving that you can win then you have lost the series before It even starts.

Allen Iverson can say all the words he wants and how he is motivated and believes his team can win but the bottom line is there are <font color="Red">no</font> upsets in a best of 7 series, You are either the better team or you aren't. Maybe in a best of 5 game series you would find an upset here and there but in a 7 game series, the best teams always win.</div>

It doesnt matter what you know, it's what you can prove. What makes you so certain that it's not possible? Just because it never has been done, doesn't mean it can't be done. When you look at the big picture, the 76ers might only get one game, but when you think about it and grant the fact that this team truly believes they can win gives them a chance to win. They arguably have the most heart out of any team in the league, and if they grind things out, they may shock the world.

And the thing with Iverson is that when he believes he can do something, he can do it. Yes, you're right it's not ground breaking news that he's confident, cause like you said, he's suppose to be or what?s the point of showing up? However there is a difference from actually saying something and doing it on the court opposed to just saying just to boost your teammate?s confidence up. The way he has expressed his confidence and the way he has stressed it out even before he knew who he was going to face in the first round, this guy is on a mission. And the from what he said last off-season about vowing to be a leader and than backing it up by having the career of his life that just goes to show if he believes he can do something, anything is possible. I just don't see why you can?t give him the benefit of the doubt that he may even though it?s unlikely when you look at the big picture that he can shock the world.

--

<font color="Red">OT</font>: When are the awards being handed out btw (MVP, ROY etc)? I think it's today, but I'm not sure.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">It doesnt matter what you know, it's what you can prove. What makes you so certain that it's not possible? Just because it never has been done, doesn't mean it can't be done. When you look at the big picture, the 76ers might only get one game, but when you think about it and grant the fact that this team truly believes they can win gives them a chance to win. They arguably have the most heart out of any team in the league, and if they grind things out, they may shock the world.
    </div>

It's not possible because the Sixers don't even compare to a team like the Pistons or any title contender. They are still a one man team and any good numbers Webber gets these days is a bonus. Just because the Sixers believe they can win and play with heart doesn't mean there is a chance at an upset. Most teams in the playoffs play with heart, passion and that belief. It doesn't get them anywhere in reality. Bottom line is heart doesn't win series's or championships. Talent + team-work and heart does. You can't just one one.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">And the thing with Iverson is that when he believes he can do something, he can do it. Yes, you're right it's not ground breaking news that he's confident, cause like you said, he's suppose to be or what?s the point of showing up? However there is a difference from actually saying something and doing it on the court opposed to just saying just to boost your teammate?s confidence up. The way he has expressed his confidence and the way he has stressed it out even before he knew who he was going to face in the first round, this guy is on a mission. And the from what he said last off-season about vowing to be a leader and than backing it up by having the career of his life that just goes to show if he believes he can do something, anything is possible. I just don't see why you can?t give him the benefit of the doubt that he may even though it?s unlikely when you look at the big picture that he can shock the world.
    </div>

It's the same every year with Iverson, the guy is the toughest guy with the most heart in the NBA. He is supposely on a mission every year and does the best he can every year, he just doesn't have the team-mates to do anything shock worthy. If he was on some kind of mission why did the Sixers barely finish with a 500 record? surely If this year was so much different from past years, why did the Sixers have an average record? the answer, there isn't enough consistant players around him, he does everything for that team. There's not much more than he can do.

One man can not win a series on his own. Tracy Mcgrady will tell you that. I don't see why I should give him the benefit of the doubt when there is no real signs that the Sixers can shock the world, the Pistons are better in every possible way. If the Sixers had some one like Yao Ming next to AI then maybe.

Thats not to say Yao is some kind of superstar but Yao is a big man who has alot of talent to breakout and have huge games. Like last night for example. There is no one on the Sixers that I can say that about. Maybe Chris Webber of a couple of years ago but not now.

Anyway as for your questions about the awards, they hand them out soon and on different days. MVP isn't anounced until the 2nd round though.

8. Avery

Hey, you're right. Everything you said is completely right and there is no arguing about that. The Pistons are by far much more dominant and better. That's why people look at me funny when I say the 76ers will upset the Pistons. All we can do now is just wait and see, because I have nothing to back myself other than bragging on about Iverson confidence and how he's on a mission and what not. Let's face it the Pistons are the reigning champions and Iverson doesn't have anybody consistent around him, so as far as that goes, I can't say a thing because on paper and reality it's a complete mismatch. But like I said, all we can do is just wait and see what happens. My whole assessment was basically saying how Iverson confidence and determination will triumph over the Pistons when everything is said and done. Now while that's no hardcore fact that can really convince anyone that the 76ers will win, that's basically all I had because comparing the 76ers and Pistons is like determining what's black and what's white.

9. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

2005 NBA Playoffs: Game 2, Philadelphia 76ers @ Detroit Pistons 4-26-05

<div align="center">
    [​IMG]@[​IMG]
    <font color="DarkRed">Philadelphia 76ers</font>(0-1)<font color="blue">Detroit Pistons</font>(1-0)

<font color="blue">Place:The Palace of Auburn Hills</font>
    <font color="blue">Time: 7:30 PM est</font>
    <font color="blue">TV:NBA TV</font></div>

<div align="center">Last Meeting: Sixers 85,Pistons 106</div>

<div align="center"> Probable Starters
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    <font size="1">(PG Allen Iverson, SG Andre Iguodala, SF Kyle Korver, PF Chris Webber, C Samuel Dalembert)</font></div>
    <div align="center">_________________________________________</div>

<div align="center">Probable Satrters
    <font size="1">(PG Chauncey , SG Rip Hamiltion, SF TayShaun Prince, PF Rasheed Wallace, C Ben Wallace)</font></div>

<font color="DarkRed">Philadelphia 76ers</font>
    <u>Keys to the Game</u>
    <ul><font color="Red">Consistency</font>
    On many occasions the 76ers have started games very strong, but seem to get weaker and weaker by the minute after they get off to that good start. We've seen it happen on a Sunday against the Celtics for example, and just recently after pulling out on a 16 point lead on the Pistons the 76ers end up loosing by double digits instead of winning by them. There are many reasons for this, which I will reach to later but the bottom line is the Sixers have to stay consistent throughout the game. If the 76ers could stay consistent on a regular basis, you would be surprised at what they could accomplish. When playing a great team like Detroit you have no choice but to stay consistent or the end result will be similar to what happened the last time the 76ers and the Pistons played. For the 76ers to be consistent they have to play as a team, and learn how to score in the half court offense. Philadelphia?s playing style is a run-n-gun type style but you can't rely on that for 48 minutes. Reason being is because most teams will adjust to that, especially the Detroit Pistons.
    [/list]

<ul><font color="Red">Role Players/Bench</font> As many of you know, the 76ers had a 16 point lead in Game One, and were looking good against the Pistons starting five. The Pistons bench was different from the starters though, guys like Antonio Mcdyess and Carlos Aroyyo brought them back into the game. Both were active in the game, but both should be easily handled as well. Mcdyess has to many open jumpers and like most NBA players would, he made them, with that being said we need to contest every shot and make him take shots that he isn't comfortable with. He also got a couple of offensive boards on the Sixers as well, so they need to block him out and not let him be active on the glass. If the 76ers contain the Pistons bench then they will be a lot better off, because they won the game for the Pistons last time.

Vice versa, the 76ers have to get some production from their bench. They need guys like Marc Jackson to produce inside and play tough, Aaron Mckie to play hard defense and help run the offense, and guys like Rodney Rogers and John Salmons to make the open jumpers. As for the role player?s part of the keys to the game, the younger starters like Korver and Iguodala need to step up their game. I understand both are new comers in the playoffs but we need both of them to contribute like they have been earlier this season. Without Kyle and Andre the Sixers team lag a part of their success and that hurt them in game once.
    [/list]

<ul><font color="Red">Defense Down the Stretch/force turnovers</font>
    Philadelphia did a good job early in the game forcing the Pistons to turnovers and converting them to points. But as the game came on the 76ers were not forcing turnovers, or making defensive stops. As a result guys like Rasheed Wallace and Prince began to come on for the Pistons adding to the lead ever since they were up only two points at the half. Both of them got a few too many open looks, and playing the defending champions you cannot give up uncontested jump shots.[/list]

<div align="center"><u>Key Players</u></div>
    <div align="center">[​IMG][​IMG]</div>
    <font color="red"><div align="center">Sheed Wallace Projected Game Stats: 25 points 8 rebounds 4 assists
    Allen Iverson Projected Game Stats: 41 points 2 rebounds 6 assists</div></font>

My Prediction: The 76ers showed in game one that the Pistons aren't flawless. You can make an argument that if Philly would have kept with it they could have very well pulled off a win in game one. It will be tough to defeat this team no matter what, because the Pistons are the defending champs. But if we want to win, AI is going to have to play huge, he'll have to dominate. I have a feeling AI will bring it tonight. The question is, will The Answer be enough? I think if Allen dominates tonight and they play as a team, the 76ers can pull it off, that does not mean it will happen though.

10. Avery

You sound real dubious in your predictions. Yes, Philly is going to have to play GREAT in order to win, but not perfect. Good preview btw. Well as for the game, it's going to be an up and down game, well at least late in the game. I see the Pistons taking early command throughout the first half, but the 76ers will eventually make a run late in the 3rd quarter and set the stage for a clutch shooting contest between Chauncey "Big Shot" Billups and Allen "The Answer" Iverson. But when everything is said and done, I think the rebounding department and points off of turnovers will be the biggest beneficiary to which ever team wins.

11. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Argh! We got crushed again. The game was semi close at halftime but then as always, Detroit just closed the game and beat us with their depth. This game basically ran like last time except that we didn't have the big lead, Iverson wasn't shooting well, and neither was Webber. The role players sort of stepped up but it wasn't nearly enough for us to take it. Again, Korver and Iguodala seemed too tentative and out of sync to really have an impact while once again Dalembert had a pretty nice game. Kind of makes you think whether this team was ready. Well, we're going back to Philly for two games so I think the best we can do is extend this a bit longer. Hey, at least our young guys got some playoff experience.

12. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

We played pretty well but...their the Pistons. They`re are almost just too good to beat. The supporting cast really needed to step up and they did some of that, but not much. Now we go back to Philadelphia. I still have alot of hope for the 76ers and I think we can tie this series up.

Whats this I hear about AI having a coin get thrown at him last night???

13. Avery

2005 NBA Playoffs: Game 3: Detroit Pistons @ Philadelphia 76ers

<font color="White">...........</font>[​IMG]<font color="White">..........................</font>[​IMG]
    <font color="blue">Detroit Pistons (2-0)</font> @ <font color="red">Philadelphia 76ers (0-2)</font>
    Time: 8:00 PM, EST
    Arena: Wachovia Center
    TV: ESPN

<font color="Blue">DET Leads Series 2-0</font>

<font color="blue">Detroit Pistons Starting Five</font>

<font size="1"><font color="blue">PG</font> Chauncey Billups
    <font color="blue">SG</font> Richard Hamilton
    <font color="blue">SF</font> Tayshaun Prince
    <font color="blue">PF</font> Rasheed Wallace
    <font color="blue">C</font> Ben Wallace</font>

<font size="1">Complete Playoff Roster</font>

<font size="1">Head Coach- Larry Brown</font>

<font color="red">Philadelphia 76ers Starting Five</font>

<font size="1"><font color="Red">PG</font> Allen Iverson
    <font color="Red">SG</font> Andre Iguodala
    <font color="Red">SF</font> Kyle Korver
    <font color="Red">PF</font> Chris Webber
    <font color="Red">C</font> Samuel Dalmbert</font>

<font size="1">Complete Playoff Roster</font>

<font size="1">Head Coach- Jim O'Brien</font>

Playoffs Stat Comparisons

<font color="White">...............................</font><font color="red">Philadelphia 76ers</font><font color="White">...................</font><font color="blue">Detroit Pistons</font>

Scoring:<font color="White">.....................</font><font size="1">A. Iverson (24.5 PPG)</font><font color="White">...................</font><font size="1">R. Wallace (22.0 PPG)</font>
    Rebounds:<font color="White">.................</font><font size="1">S. Dalembert (14.5 RPG)</font><font color="White">................</font><font size="1">B. Wallace (10.0 RPG)</font>
    Assists:<font color="White">......................</font><font size="1">A. Iverson (10.0 APG)</font><font color="White">.................</font><font size="1">C. Billups (6.0 APG)</font>
    Steals:<font color="White">.......................</font><font size="1">A. Iverson (3.5 SPG)</font><font color="White">...................</font><font size="1">B. Wallace (2.5 SPG)</font>
    Blocks:<font color="white">......................</font><font size="1">A. Iguodala (1.5 BPG)</font><font color="White">..................</font><font size="1">B. Wallace (4.5 BPG)</font>

The Deciding Factor

<font color="blue">Detroit Pistons Frontcourt</font>

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]<font color="White">----</font>[​IMG]

<font size="1"><font color="blue">SF</font> Tayshaun Prince
    <font color="blue">PF</font> Rasheed Wallace
    <font color="blue">C</font> Ben Wallace</font>

<font color="Blue"><font size="1">6th Man</font></font> <font size="1">Antonio McDyess</font>

VS.

<font color="Red">Philadelphia 76ers Frontcourt</font>

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]<font color="White">----</font>[​IMG]

<font size="1"><font color="Red">SF</font> Kyle Korver
    <font color="Red">PF</font> Chris Webber
    <font color="Red">C</font> Samuel Dalmbert</font>

<font color="red"><font size="1">6th Man</font></font> <font size="1">Marc Jackson</font>

Player(s) To Watch

<font color="red">Samuel Dalembert - Philadelphia 76ers</font>

[​IMG]

He?s been really the only bright spot for the 76ers in this series thus far. Forget about Iverson and Webber, Dalembert seems to be the only that?s giving them a consistent performance. Coming off two consecutive exceptional games, look for Dalembert to get his way once again playing at home. Ironically with his size and stature you would think he would have a hard time again the Wallace boys, coming into this series, one would think that the Wallace?s would bully him around but that doesn?t seem to be the story, Dalembert is having an exceptional series thus far and from the looks of Game 2 it doesn?t seem as if he is going to slow down. His shot blocking, rebounding and even scoring is the reason why the 76ers aren?t losing by 35-40 points. Dalembert doesn?t usually perform like this and luckily for the 76ers he is, so just think where the 76ers would be without him because the way Sammy is playing is a MAJOR bonus.

Projected Stats: 13 Points , 1 Assists, 15 Rebounds, 1 Steals, 4 Blocks

Keys To The Game

<font color="Red">Philadelphia 76ers</font>

<ul><font color="Red">Home Crowd</font> Whatever the 76ers do they cannot spot the Pistons. They get a few stops within the game, hold a sizeable lead and then they lose it. Maintaining the energy and intensity has been a big problem for the 76ers in this series. Every positive they have done in this series thus far has been off of energy but yet they just cannot hold on to it. However, that problem may very well be fixed this time around. Playing at home in front of they?re fans, they?re surrounds and the whole nine can boost they?re confidence up which ultimately leads to energy. So if the 76ers can feed off of the home crowd and get running up and down the court, they?re chances at winning this game is fairly well.[/list]

<ul><font color="Red">Force turnovers</font> The 76ers has done a good job at forcing turnovers, so they must make sure they do the same. Again playing at home will give them energy and than forcing turnovers will get them up and down the court in which they are most effective. So before anything can be done, they must get some stops and force some turnovers.[/list]

<ul><font color="Red">Playoffs Are For Superstars </font>?And Iverson knows this very well. He is aware about his disappointing performance in Game 2, so expects him to have a big game or more like the 76ers are going to need him to play big. A 40 point performance could be what the 76ers need. Webber on the other hand just needs to make sure his shots fall down. And getting into the low post wouldn?t help either. Yes, his lift isn?t there but you don?t need lift to draw fouls.[/list]

Personal Prediction

The 76ers will control this game from the get go and never look back.

96-111 76ers

14. YSM5

YSM5 JBB JustBBall Member

I hope what ur prediction says is right avery

15. B.e.

Philly needs to come out firing and never let down. They have been opening up games pretty well against Detroit, but throughout of the rest of the game they seem out of firepower. Also, the basics are killing the 76ers; shot selection, rebounding, and ball movement are all flaws with the Sixers right now. Other then that, they are also just missing the open looks they normally should make.

If Philadelphia plays consistent and uses the home court to their advantage like Avery stated then they should be ready to play this game. If they can?t get a win tonight the 76ers will most likely end up done for the season, so are leaders need to step it up.

16. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Yeah, for this game, I expect Philadelphia to come out shooting any never look back. They should be playing with a lot of intensity and focus since they know that if they lose this, everything will be on the line. For this game, I see Iverson playing tough and aggressive while the bench players are going to step up. I just can't see our guys not playing strong after losing two and all the critics against them. The only thing I wonder about now is how O'Brien will take the two losses and whether he will change some rotations up. You never know.

If the guys do everything stated up and maybe more, we should be able to come out with the win. Hopefully the home crowd does its job as well. No prediction from me this time, I don't want to jinx anything.

17. B.e.

Great game, this is exactly what we needed.

18. YSM5

YSM5 JBB JustBBall Member

YESSSS prediction wasnt completely right but VERY VERY close. 115-104 YESSS sixers win

19. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

I wanted to post it yesterday but I didn't have time,
    Sixers need to stop McDyess to win but they did it so everything is ok.
    First 2 games McDyess dominated off the bench.This time he didn't and we won,we need to keep him in check.
    Prince is wearing down,he won't play well if the series go to alteast 6 games as minutes will take a toll on him. (40+ minuts every game will do the trick,he ain't no AI)

20. Avery

<div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

<div align="center">Recap - Box Score</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Prince is wearing down,he won't play well if the series go to alteast 6 games as minutes will take a toll on him. (40+ minuts every game will do the trick,he ain't no AI)</div>

Very good point. I don't think Tayshaun Prince hasn't necessarily been worn out but like you said if he's playing all these minutes and if this series goes to a Game 6, he won't have as much of an impact. Also, I like what O'Brien did during the switch off. Thats when Iguodala was placed on Prince because it is in which switch offs is where Korver has the most problems defending him. Well actually Korver can't defend him period, but it's nice to see Iguodala do a good job on Prince. And on a side note, I loved what Green was doing to Hamilton during his share of minutes.

As for the game in entirety, it was amazing win for the Sixers. They started off sluggish I was in a way glad to see that they were down. I?m not going to lie because I was getting worried and I was seeing shades of Games one and two, but at the same time I realized that they have a knack of turning things around, and in which when they are trailing is when they play they?re best. That's the difference between good teams and great teams; great teams play with a sense of urgency no matter if they're ahead or trailing. Good teams mainly play with a sense of urgency only when they're trailing. When you're down you're playing with a purpose, your backs are against the walls and you put the effort to try to get back and win. And in Philly?s case when they?re ahead they play to maintain the lead rather than add to the lead, that's the thing with them. So when they were down, I wasn?t all concerned because that was the only way they would actually be able to hang with the Pistons in the game, by playing with a purpose (deficit). Unfortunately that?s how things are for the Sixers?

And than you have Iverson, I'm not surprised one bit at his performance; we've seen this throughout the season. And playing in important game it was only natural that the #2 All-Time PPG Playoff Leader would have a big game. Webber was AMAZING however. He hit 4 of his last 6 shots in a very critical period. So I like what I seen from him. And what I also liked seeing was the fact that he was into the game. The last time I seen Webber pump his fist and jump and bump chest with his teammates was in Sacramento. So if he can stay happy, relaxed and comfortable that will open up his game up. And lastly, we have the real star of the game, Samuel Dalembert. He has been consistent throughout the series, and similar to the Kings and Sonics and the whole Jerome James situation, the Pistons are making Dalembert look like an All-Star. Even though Dalembert has put up these performances during the course of the season who knew he would do it like this? Against the Pistons, against the Wallace boys, I actually thought Dalembert along with Korver would have the hardest times in this series. Not only did he have an amazing Game 3, he did it both games one and two as well. So if Dalembert can continue this, we are in good shape. Our bench also played well to, so that's good to see.

Next up, is Game 4 in PHILLY, so I expect the 76ers to come out with tons of energy and the fans realize that they were part of the win, so I expect them to make tons of noise. But this is the defending champs and they realize that if they lose this game they're in trouble, so I expect them to come out strong as well, so DO NOT expect another 115 point output by the 76res again, well at least not in Game 4.