Official 2005 Houston Rockets NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by bbwAce, May 16, 2005.

1. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">BTW everyone- What do you think- Andray Blatche, Ike Digou, or Wayne Simien?</div>
    Ronny Turiaf. [​IMG] I'm just so high on that guy.

As for who to draft with the 19th pick, I would snap Jack up if he's still around because it would be a faint hope of him falling to 24th. With the 24, then I'd look at Blatche, Turiaf or Simien.

2. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">With the 24, then I'd look at Blatche, Turiaf or Simien.</div>
    I would definitely put Diogu in there too. He's basically in the same mold as Simien, but he's a better shot blocker and more refined post up game. Plus, he has a great rebounding game, basketball IQ, as well as having range on his jumper. In fact, I might even rank him higher than Simien.

3. Trip

Student
    I would too. However, Diogu's stock has been on the rise and looks to be gone already before we pick. Like Simien, I also have serious doubts about his size at 6-8 and how he would guard NBA power forwards who are onwards of 6-10. Diogu's one on one defense also is pretty untested due to him playing in a relatively weak conference. If I were to pick, I'd still pick Ronny Turiaf, who is bigger than Diogu and is proven against top tier competition.

4. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

You really cant tell where any power forward will land. A lot of people have diogu in the 20s. With so many PFs that will probably go in the first round, you cant guarantee anyone will be around. Hakim Warrick might even be available at the 24th pick.

I wouldnt really say turiaf is better. I dont watch him much but i feel he is more of a guy that plays in the post. Diogu can shoot the three. As of hieght, diogu has a strong body that cancels that out.

5. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

I like Simien for Houston. He a big physical guy who is very active on the boards. He does the dirty work for houston if they get him. Diogu is good but i think the way his stock is rising he'll be gone. Turiaf goes to the spurs at 28 I think.

6. Trip

Student
    There's even a possibility that Chris Taft, Channing Frye and Turiaf would all be around when it comes our turn to pick. Even so, I'm still sticking with Turiaf. I've explained it several times; I think that Turiaf, with his shotblocking, NBA ready body and offensive rebounding will mesh best on the Rockets. Diogu's 3 point range is a nice surprise but would we want a power forward who stays three point happy every possession? My dream Rocket PF is someone who can step outside and drain open jumpers when Yao goes to work in the low post, and go inside and get putbacks when Yao steps out to shoot a mid range J. Turiaf would best fit that description.

Simien is good, but like Diogu, he's short and might be at a disadvantage against quicker and taller post players. Traditional low post guy but would he floruish on the Rockets?

7. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">There's even a possibility that Chris Taft, Channing Frye and Turiaf would all be around when it comes our turn to pick. Even so, I'm still sticking with Turiaf. I've explained it several times; I think that Turiaf, with his shotblocking, NBA ready body and offensive rebounding will mesh best on the Rockets. Diogu's 3 point range is a nice surprise but would we want a power forward who stays three point happy every possession? My dream Rocket PF is someone who can step outside and drain open jumpers when Yao goes to work in the low post, and go inside and get putbacks when Yao steps out to shoot a mid range J. Turiaf would best fit that description.

Simien is good, but like Diogu, he's short and might be at a disadvantage against quicker and taller post players. Traditional low post guy but would he floruish on the Rockets?</div>
    In my opinion, Diogu, Simien, and Turiaf would all be ideal for Houston. Diogu and Simien are both pretty well defined low post players while Turiaf is a great defender, shotblocker, and rebounder. Meanwhile, Diogu is better at jumpers and is more versatile of a player. You mentioned that he can hit the three- mind you thats the college line so its more of a jumper. That means he won't be staying out on the arc too much since there's no way in hell Van Gundy will let him do that when he knows he doensn't have the range. By the way, you keep reminding everyone time and time again that Simien and Diogu are undersized- but their just 1 inch shorter than Turiaf. In fact, Diogu averages more blocks and rebounds than Turiaf. Take a look at Kelvin Cato or Kenny Thomas- both were pretty undersized for powerforwards but both are still quality role players for their respective teams.

8. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">In my opinion, Diogu, Simien, and Turiaf would all be ideal for Houston. Diogu and Simien are both pretty well defined low post players while Turiaf is a great defender, shotblocker, and rebounder. Meanwhile, Diogu is better at jumpers and is more versatile of a player. You mentioned that he can hit the three- mind you thats the college line so its more of a jumper. That means he won't be staying out on the arc too much since there's no way in hell Van Gundy will let him do that when he knows he doensn't have the range. By the way, you keep reminding everyone time and time again that Simien and Diogu are undersized- but their just 1 inch shorter than Turiaf. In fact, Diogu averages more blocks and rebounds than Turiaf. Take a look at Kelvin Cato or Kenny Thomas- both were pretty undersized for powerforwards but both are still quality role players for their respective teams.</div>
    Turiaf is more like 6-10, 6-11, while Diogu's official height is 6-7 and a half and Simien is 6-8. 2 inches make a hell of a difference. Diogu might average better numbers but keep in mind Turiaf plays in a much tougher conference and has a lot more competition. Diogu plays at a mid-major, and it is guys from these schools that are sort of the unknowns.

Thomas is 6-7, yes, and he is a good player, but the guy still has trouble guarding some bigger power forwards. Cato, meanwhile, I don't know why you would call undersized because he is 6-11 and bulky. Keep in mind he was our center before Ming.

9. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Thomas is 6-7, yes, and he is a good player, but the guy still has trouble guarding some bigger power forwards. Cato, meanwhile, I don't know why you would call undersized because he is 6-11 and bulky. Keep in mind he was our center before Ming.</div>
    Woops, yeah its just I keep remembering him to be so small- well compared to Yao anyways. Makes a hell of a difference when you're standing next to a 7'6" guy. As for the height measurements, I was looking at NBADraftNet so I guess the measurements were wrong but that was what I was going by.

10. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Update Rumors-

Ike Diogu has been reportedly promised to be picked 21st by the Phoenix Suns. If thats true then we're down to like Simien, Turiaf, Blatche, or anyone else that falls our way.

Source

11. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">Update Rumors-

Ike Diogu has been reportedly promised to be picked 21st by the Phoenix Suns. If thats true then we're down to like Simien, Turiaf, Blatche, or anyone else that falls our way.

Source</div>

Even with a promise you cant guarantee he will go 21st. But that sure does reduce the chances of him dropping. Anything can change because there is still alot of time for the Suns to make their pick.

Out of all these Guys I would either go with Simien or Turiaf. Both are Seniors and I feel they will be a little more prepared for the NBA.

12. Trip

Student
    If Diogu is to go 21st, then I could maybe see the trade with Memphis going through, so that we could nab him at 19th. If we really want him, that is. If not, I don't see drafting Turiaf or David Lee as bad alternatives.

13. bplld

That is too bad because i was really hoping to get diogu on our team. Does that mean that diogu has commited to the suns or they have just commited to him? Simien is actually 6-9 with his shoes on so his stalk has gone up too.

I really want that trade with the grizzlies to go down now.

14. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

It turns out we actually did work out Diogu.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> But Diogu did nothing to hurt his chances of being a first-round pick during a round of private workouts for NBA teams such as Denver, Golden State, Houston, Memphis and Seattle.</div>

Source

Now it really confuses me, from Hoopshype it had said the Suns allegedly worked him out, but I guess you can't really trust the "rumor" stories. I guess this broadens the horizon a bit.

15. blueracer

blueracer JBB JustBBall Member

Ike Diogu will have a workout for the Rockets this week(June 9). According to an interview provided by draftcity he has a 7'4" wingspan which will allow him to defend better. Although I would like for the Rockets to draft Diogu over Simien, he will probably be gone by that time now that his stock has risen and with the rumors that Phoenix will take him on the 21st selection. The withdrawal of Andriuskevicious and Splitter has an effect on the draft also. Some guys will move up in the draft particularly the likes of Diogu,Simien, etc... The Rockets chances to draft early will be to make a trade in the draft. They have $2.4M trade exception(from the TMac trade) which will expire on June 30. They have also another $1.4M and $1.2M trade exception.

16. Trip

Student
    I would doubt that Diogu has been promised to be picked by Phoenix then. If he did get a promise, he most likely won't work out with teams drafting lower than Phoenix, and only with some teams that are picking higher than the Suns.

Either way, we'll just have to wait until the draft to see how things turn out, as it's so unpredictable right now who's going to go where.

17. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">Update Rumors-

Source</div>

This rumor just seems "fishy" IMO. He held a press conference on Tuesday claiming he wasn't even sure he would stay in the draft. Combine that with the fact that Diogu hasn't even worked out with the Suns yet and is working out with teams both before and after the Sun's pick leads me to believe that this guarentee is just a hoax.

18. YugoRocketsFan

YugoRocketsFan BBW Member

I'd draft a power foward because its our weakest position, but lots of those people that most of you people posted are good choices, but adding Hakkimm Warrick wouldn't be bad either, he's been good in Syracuse. The bad part also is that Taft couldnt fall to 24 because he would be great in the Rockets lineup

19. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Its true Warrick was good in college but the only problem is I don't really think his game will translate into NBA success. Right now he's rail thin and easily outmuscled in the low post so he won't be able to become the instant rebounding player that Houston needs. In addition to that, he doesn't have that many low post moves that can get him to the basket but instead- his points usual come from put backs or fastbreaks. In fact, right now he's too raw for this team since we need an instead impact role player. The only positives about him really is his potential, long arms, and athletic ability.

20. bplld

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2005/c...02=stateChanged

In case you arent an insider, the arcticle says that simien measured 6-9 and a fourth and that diogu measured almost 6-9 with the armspan of a 7 footer. They say that the stock for these two guys has really gone up and diogu should be in the lottery while simien should make the top twenty. They both are really praised. Both have impressive shooting skills and simien has good post skills.

Those were the two guys we were looking at but i guess unless we trade up, probably with the grizzlies, simien and definetly diogu should fall out of our range. I guess the best guy is turiaf right now but i would also like to see us aquire jarret jack. A perfect fit for gundy, the rockets, and the half court.