Official 2005 Houston Rockets NBA Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by bbwAce, May 16, 2005.

1. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Those were the two guys we were looking at but i guess unless we trade up, probably with the grizzlies, simien and definetly diogu should fall out of our range. I guess the best guy is turiaf right now but i would also like to see us aquire jarret jack. A perfect fit for gundy, the rockets, and the half court.</div>
    Jarrett Jack is one of those players in the draft that are projected to be in many different picks. For an example, NBADraft has him going at twenty six while JBB's has him at going number ten. So there's no real way to pinpoint him and on whether or not we can get him or not. Man I guess we'll be getting Turiaf then if we don't move up in the draft. Not a bad pick actually- like Trip said dozens of times before, he can rebound, shotblock, and defend.

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Haha man, don't blame everything on me if Turiaf actually turns into a bust. I'm just letting my opinions be known. [​IMG]

3. YugoRocketsFan

YugoRocketsFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Haha man, don't blame everything on me if Turiaf actually turns into a bust. I'm just letting my opinions be known. [​IMG]</div>

Yea but you can't enforce your opinions on other people,most of topic is about you talking about Turiaf, nothing against him but I think Wayne Simien would work better and plus some draft websites think hes going to be picked in the 2nd round, a couple think Wayne Simien is coming to Houston and I want him to come to Houston because i've seen him play and they pick him at 24? He averaged 20.8 ppg and 10 rpg with KU, and KU played very well this year.

Simien at 24 [​IMG]

4. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea but you can't enforce your opinions on other people,most of topic is about you talking about Turiaf, nothing against him but I think Wayne Simien would work better and plus some draft websites think hes going to be picked in the 2nd round, a couple think Wayne Simien is coming to Houston and I want him to come to Houston because i've seen him play and they pick him at 24? He averaged 20.8 ppg and 10 rpg with KU, and KU played very well this year.</div>
    No but the whole thing with Simien is that they've actually measured him at 6-9 meaning that he isn't so undersized anymore so his stock has exploded. Its because of his success at the college level that he's so valuable. Personally, I would love to have Simien on the Rockets but with him and Diogu's stock rising, the only real option at drafting a powerforward with the 24th pick is Turiaf.

5. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting YugoRocketsfan:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea but you can't enforce your opinions on other people,most of topic is about you talking about Turiaf, nothing against him but I think Wayne Simien would work better and plus some draft websites think hes going to be picked in the 2nd round, a couple think Wayne Simien is coming to Houston and I want him to come to Houston because i've seen him play and they pick him at 24? He averaged 20.8 ppg and 10 rpg with KU, and KU played very well this year.

Simien at 24 [​IMG]</div>
    How the hell am I enforcing my opinions? Did I say that you had to either accept drafting Turiaf or die? I used facts about his game and my own opinions to make myself clear, and if anyone's opinion was changed by me, great. If not, at least everyone know's who I am pining for. I am extremely offended by your comment.

Said this before, and I'll say it again. Simien is too short. He might measure 6-9 with shoes on, but everyone else would be one inch taller with shoes. Turiaf would be 7 foot; Channing Frye too, and Taft will be 6-11. They would still have a significant height advantage over Simien.

Simien also is not a fast PF by any means. He will not find it easy guarding mobile fours like Kevin Garnett and Nowitzki. Almost every Western Conference power forward would be bigger and it would prove hard to rebound. For every Kenny Thomas and Elton Brand, there is also a Corliss Williamson and Marcus Fizer.

6. YugoRocketsFan

I just dont think the Rockets are going to draft Turiaf, you may be strong on drafting him but I dont see a chance of the Rockets drafting him, I just hope the Rockets just think very well before drafting someone because there are a lot of things that can happen, like the draft person to be a bust, or maybe a Cuttino Mobley, 2nd round and really good.

7. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Update, I got this workout for Houston from Hoopshype:

June 20- Marcin Gortat l C l 7-0 l Germany l Late Second Round Pick

Past Workout (After May 11th, since someone already found the ones before):

May 20- Dijon Thompson l SF l 6-7 l UCLA l Late Second Round Pick

Oh yeah, and from my knowledge and ESPN's we also worked out Ike Diogu. Its not much of an update but at least there is some news. This follows the previous workout trend, mainly showing that Houston is working out a lot of second round pick players. Something fishy is happening in my opinion.

8. Trip

Student
    A trade is definitely brewing, someone for a second round pick, or we're buying one. Either that or the team is looking for potential undrafted players to fill out the summer league roster. I'm leaning towards the first though.

9. YugoRocketsFan

Nemanja Aleksandrov is a lot like Ronny Turiaf, hes 6-11, a true PF, has speed, shoots 3s rarely, can pass for a PF, good at shot blocking and can rebound and play defence. Can score about 10 on a basis, i've seen him play and he had 7 blocks and 13 rebounds in a game once, when I have seen him play

10. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Nemanja Aleksandrov is a lot like Ronny Turiaf, hes 6-11, a true PF, has speed, shoots 3s rarely, can pass for a PF, good at shot blocking and can rebound and play defence. Can score about 10 on a basis, i've seen him play and he had 7 blocks and 13 rebounds in a game once, when I have seen him play</div>
    There's a difference though. I think he pulled out of the draft for whatever reason because he's no longer on the board. I don't see him on NBADraftnet so I'm just assuming, correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I'm seeing from the workouts, it looks like Houston's trading down or something for a second round pick instead of just drafting a powerforward straight up.

11. YugoRocketsFan

He didnt pull out of the draft, he is still on the board on nba.com/draft2005, 2nd round pick, We need to draft a power forward because all the back ups for Howard suck, or well not suck they just arent good enough to get a lot of minutes. Here is the link:http://www.nba.com/draft2005/profiles/Nema...leksandrov.html, btw he is 18 and real young, if he drops out he would have to wait till he is 21 because of Stern's age limit.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">2004 European Championship for Junior (U-18) Men: Averaged 17.4 points, 10.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in 29.0 minutes over five Challenge Round contests. Converted 30-of-47 two-point field goals (63.8%) and 2-of-9 three-pointers (22.2%). Had 16 rebounds vs. Belarus and 23 points vs. Turkey. In the Final Round, contributed 16.0 points and 8.0 rebounds in 29.6 minutes over eight games. Shot 41-of-66 from two-point range (62.1%) and 5-of-22 from three-point range (22.7%). Recorded 19 points and 15 rebounds vs. Latvia and 25 points vs. Russia. </div>

12. Trip

Student
    There is no age limit yet; the NBA is proposing it but the PA won't agree to go ahead with it. There is no guarantee that there will be an age limit.

Aleksandrov, from what I know of him, is too undersized to play the four. His true position would be far from a power forward. At 6-11 and 210, he could be a KG type, but he is not as strong as KG, although they have many similar aspects to their games. Both can shoot, but Aleksandrov isn't as daring a shot blocker and if he's going to be a small forward in the league, he will need to be a better slasher.

If anything, this is just Hakim Warrick with a jumpshot, I don't know if we will find it beneficial in spending a pick on someone who won't provide immediate help at a position that we need help on immediately.

13. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

I was hopin that they would move up in th draft. I guess that wont happen. I guess gundy has a problem with starting rookies or something. Looks like whoever we get will go to the minors or be a bench warmer.

14. YugoRocketsFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">There is no age limit yet; the NBA is proposing it but the PA won't agree to go ahead with it. There is no guarantee that there will be an age limit.

Aleksandrov, from what I know of him, is too undersized to play the four. His true position would be far from a power forward. At 6-11 and 210, he could be a KG type, but he is not as strong as KG, although they have many similar aspects to their games. Both can shoot, but Aleksandrov isn't as daring a shot blocker and if he's going to be a small forward in the league, he will need to be a better slasher.

If anything, this is just Hakim Warrick with a jumpshot, I don't know if we will find it beneficial in spending a pick on someone who won't provide immediate help at a position that we need help on immediately.</div>

Ok im going ask you a couple of questions Trip and lets see what your answers are

1. What Size for a PF are we looking for?

2. Why Ronny Turiaf?

3. Could Ronny Turiaf make a quick impact?

15. Trip

Student
    1) The PF that we're looking for would be at least 6-9 and 230 IMO. That's Chris Bosh size and I don't think any lighter or shorter than that would be acceptable. Reason for that is the West is full of the Kenyon Martins, the Duncans and Garnetts, and a small or weak guy just won't cut it.

2) Turiaf matches the height and size requirements, and he is very strong. He can very well guard the physical PFs, and also quick enough to guard the mobile ones. He is a good shotblocker, has a good jumpshot out to 15 feet, and is a strong offensive rebounder, a trait that I think we need, that would allow Yao to drift out to the perimeter and shoot jumpers. He couldn't do that last year because Howard was no insurance on the offensive boards if he missed.

3) I'm not saying that Turiaf will make a very quick impact, or even if he'll play much. However, one thing's for sure in that he would be more suit to play a role right away than an 18 year old who hasn't had much professional experience. Turiaf is 22 and as NBA ready as anyone in the draft.

16. YugoRocketsFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">1) The PF that we're looking for would be at least 6-9 and 230 IMO. That's Chris Bosh size and I don't think any lighter or shorter than that would be acceptable. Reason for that is the West is full of the Kenyon Martins, the Duncans and Garnetts, and a small or weak guy just won't cut it.

2) Turiaf matches the height and size requirements, and he is very strong. He can very well guard the physical PFs, and also quick enough to guard the mobile ones. He is a good shotblocker, has a good jumpshot out to 15 feet, and is a strong offensive rebounder, a trait that I think we need, that would allow Yao to drift out to the perimeter and shoot jumpers. He couldn't do that last year because Howard was no insurance on the offensive boards if he missed.

3) I'm not saying that Turiaf will make a very quick impact, or even if he'll play much. However, one thing's for sure in that he would be more suit to play a role right away than an 18 year old who hasn't had much professional experience. Turiaf is 22 and as NBA ready as anyone in the draft.</div>

Yea, Turiaf does seem like a good fit for the Rockets, but the thing concerning me is his free throw shooting he is shooting around 68 percent and I think he should improve on that, other than that, he averages 16 a game, 9 rebounds a game and 2 assists a game, which isnt bad for a power forward, he could turn out to be like a Chris Webber in the future, except without the high payroll.

17. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

Ronny also has awsome hair! He can make great bobble heads like Moochie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ronny also has awsome hair! He can make great bobble heads like Moochie.</div>
    LOL, maybe he'll be able to pull off a Sprewell, Hudson, or Fortson with those braids.

19. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I like Simien better as well but I too think there will be a trade...I have heard rumors of a Wesley/Sura to Memphis for Bonzi Wells and their pick...

20. YugoRocketsFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shooter:</div><div class="quote_post">I like Simien better as well but I too think there will be a trade...I have heard rumors of a Wesley/Sura to Memphis for Bonzi Wells and their pick...</div>

Never, Bonzi Wells is overpaid, He averaged 11 ppg and like 8 million, we already have Wesley for half the price and we dont need the pick because we arent picking anyone special and our pointguards are all not going to be dishing out assists, to me its a bad bad bad trade.