Official 2006 Magic Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by bbwSwish, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Chuck

Chuck JBB JustBBall Member

Man, we should have traded for the 8th pick, we coulda had Rudy Gay

2. On_The_Rim29

On_The_Rim29 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Swish15:</div><div class="quote_post">Here is some info about the big man James Augustine.

NBA Comparison: Andrew DeClerq

Strengths: Forward with good agility, solid athlete ... Runs the floor well, fluid bigman ... Nothing spectacular but plays hard and has developed his offensive game inside ... Works hard inside for rebounds despite small build ... A hustler, plays hard on both ends, good energy level ... Nine rebounds per game in the Big Ten is impressive ... Not a tremendous leaper, but solid ... Free throw shooting dipped to 65 percent in his senior year but is decent ... A team player. Unselfish ... Plays within himself. Makes good decision, doesn't force many bad shots ...

Weaknesses: Has gotten stronger but still lacks the body to handle inside play on the next level ... Lacks the strength to grab rebounds inside the way he did in college ... Will need to add another 15-20 pounds, and it's uncertain how it will affect his quickness ... Lacks much of an offensive game, scoring on a lot of put backs and baskets close in ... Offensive skills are somewhat mechanical, predictable ... His mid-range jump shot has shown improvement, but still is not a huge strength ... Not a real shot blocker despite his good length ...

NOOOOOOO NOT DECLERQ!!!! WHY?!?! WE ARE CURSED!</div>

Don't buy that... James Augustine isn't anything close to Andrew Declerq. Augustine has collegient experience first and foremost. That's key in my mind. Second hes a tough player. He is a very agile bigman. Watch some illini games and watch him work with Dee Brown off screens. It's a great pick. And wait, scores on a lot of put backs and close in baskets? Well duh hes a big man. He played on one of the best TEAMS in the country last year and the year before. That's what we need, team players. Guys who have learned to play the game as a team, and they got it in Augustine. Great pick, don't buy into the Declerq bullcrap. No one is as bad as him.

Now JJ.

I've admittedly waivered back and forth on this. Remember I wanted JJ, then turned the corner and wanted more of a defensive style player. But now that I think of it and look at it, I am extatic.

JJ will get shots, and open shots at that. He makes threes well beyond the NBA range, and with guys like D12 and Darko down low, he will roam the three point line.

I am gonna say this. Reggie Miller. He couldn't play much defense could he? But he is one of the greatest players in NBA history. Why? Because he hits the three consistently.

JJ is a great pick considering guys like Brandon Roy had NO chance to fall to the Magic at 11. I don't know much about Ronnie Brewer, so I don't really want to say anything, other than I love this pick when it's all said and done.

This has been one of the better drafts I've seen Orlando make(esspecially after last year). Nothing will beat Dwight/Meer a couple years ago. But I like it. College Experience, focusing on the team aspect. It's a great draft.

3. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Guys, I have changed my mind. I like the Redick pick. I've been watching some highlights and researching on him and he is amazing. He was hitting shots five feet behind the NBA three point line.

Saying he is a good shooter is a huge understatment, this guy is excellent. At times I was wondering if he could ever miss. His form is perfect and he is a lot more athletic than people give him credit for. He was scoring off the dribble and he was making shots over defenders. Also, there were a few plays where he crossed over and beat his defender one and one. He has dealt with adversity all his playing career and he will contribute to this team.

Redick is now part of the big three: Dwight, Jameer, Darko, and Redick. I'm not going to hate his entire career hating the guy. He scored more points in college than Michael Jordan (ACC record) so that says something.

If Otis and Hill like JJ, then so will I. Time to get a Redick sig. [​IMG]

4. On_The_Rim29

Haha well to be fair, Jordan didn't play as long as JJ did, but still JJ broke the all-time record, with games to spare too.

Like I said earlier, he does make those phenominal shots. He is making these things from well beyond the NBA three point line. the man is a sharp shooter.

5. Chuck

Chuck JBB JustBBall Member

NBADraft.net lists Augustine's NBA comparison to Andrew Declercq

Hahahahahaha

6. On_The_Rim29

Which is a horrible comparison..