Official 2009 Rutgers Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'College Football' started by JCB, May 28, 2008.

1. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
  2. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

How many scholarships left?

3. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (#1_Yinka_Dare_Fan @ Jun 19 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>How many scholarships left?</div>

Don't know for sure; Schiano never gives out a number, and it's very hard to guess (the number is usually higher than you think). For instance, last year was suppossed to be a very small class; 14-16 total commitments . . . we ended up signing 21 kids.

We have 15 commitments so far for this year, so figure maybe 5-6 more schollies left. We have 13 graduating seniors, and Britt might leave early, opening up 14 spots. Then, figure in the usual 3-5 transfers a year and we're up to 18-ish. And since the number is almost always higher than what's expected, I'm figuring we'll top out at 20-21 kids, similar to last year.

I tried to predict the rest of the class here a few days ago. So far, of the 10 kids I predicted, 3 (Hayward, Bush, Harrison) have committed to Rutgers, and 1 (Noel) has committed elsewhere (Boston College). Then we have Duron Harmon who committed here, who I put on the "maybe" list. And finally, we have Joseph who came out of nowhere that I completely missed on.

Logan Ryan might commit on Saturday, fwiw. He's visiting the campus and has a full day tour thing set up.

And you can probably cross Arthur Fontaine off the "maybe" list. He'll most likely end up back at BC with Noel there now (they're close friends).

4. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Gerald Hodges, potentially a top 5 prospect in New Jersey, committed to Rutgers earlier today. He is a big time get. I'll have more on him later.

One more commitment (Logan Ryan) will possibly come tomorrow. Abdul Smith may commit as well, but I don't see that happening this early.

5. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Logan Ryan, the top cornerback in NJ, committed today. I'll have more on him later tonight, as well as some more on Hodges.

6. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

How would you rate this class compared to previous ones in the Schiano era? Against a big school's class?

7. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (#1_Yinka_Dare_Fan @ Jun 23 2008, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>How would you rate this class compared to previous ones in the Schiano era? Against a big school's class?</div>

Best in the Schiano era. The only other class that really compares is the 2007 class (Anthony Davis' class) and this class is starting to pull away. Schiano is basically getting all of his '"top targets" this year, so to speak; a lot of the guys that have committed were all offered scholarships very, very early, which means they are guys that coach wanted badly. And there are 3-5 more guys that would seal the deal as this being his best ever class.

As far as comparing it to a big school's class, it's obviously not even in the same ballpark as a school like USC or Texas. We'll finish about on par with schools like West Virginia.

8. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
  9. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Shawney Kersey, one of the top 2-3 wide outs in New Jersey, committed to Rutgers today. I honestly did not see this one coming in the least. But I'm happy as hell. It also means we're done recruiting WR's in this class with Harrison and Hayward also on board.

10. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Update on Isaac Holmes: he's essentially down to Maryland and Rutgers, with Maryland leading. Not looking too good for RU right now. He could commit to Maryland this week.

11. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Update on Abdul Smith: He will be deciding tomorrow at about 1:30 PM. His final five are Boston College, Maryland, Penn State, Pittsburgh, and Rutgers. Looks good for Rutgers.

12. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 1 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Update on Abdul Smith: He will be deciding tomorrow at about 1:30 PM. His final five are Boston College, Maryland, Penn State, Pittsburgh, and Rutgers. Looks good for Rutgers.</div>

Rutgers it is. I'll have more tonight.

13. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Abdul Smith Press Conference

Interesting that he says that he thinks RU still has about 3 more ships to give. See, it's always more than you think. [​IMG] And he mentions that one is being held for Glenn Carson. Shows you how big of a recruit Carson is.

14. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 2 2008, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 1 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Update on Abdul Smith: He will be deciding tomorrow at about 1:30 PM. His final five are Boston College, Maryland, Penn State, Pittsburgh, and Rutgers. Looks good for Rutgers.</div>

Rutgers it is. I'll have more tonight.
    </div>

Abdul Smith Makes The Call

15. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Glenn Carson rumored to be visiting Rutgers tomorrow.

16. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 6 2008, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Glenn Carson rumored to be visiting Rutgers tomorrow.</div>

Glenn visited today, not yesterday. Still no indications as to when a decision will be made, but it's definitely still looking like a PSU/RU battle.

17. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Antwan Lowery said to be deciding between Rutgers and Miami, and will announce on August 1. I feel cautiously optimistic about him right now.

18. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JCB @ Jul 12 2008, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Antwan Lowery said to be deciding between Rutgers and Miami, and will announce on August 1. I feel cautiously optimistic about him right now.</div>

I've got a little more on the situation here.. I'm not as optimistic about this as I was earlier. I think he'll be a Cane.

19. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
  20. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    Desmond Scott has de-commited from Rutgers and is going to Duke. Doh. I think we might offer Raymond Graham now.