Exclusive Official 2020 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tester551, Nov 12, 2019.

1. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

Payton Pritchard #1

2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I'm so glad over the last month I've been recording games of prospects I want to study up on so at least I have something to watch.

TorturedBlazerFan, BonesJones and JDC like this.
  3. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Have you gotten to any Saddiq Bey yet?

4. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Yes! I still have 3 games of his to watch but I've seen 2 full games so far.

His shot mechanics look a lot like Wes Matthews to me. Maybe a little flat but good form overall. He even shows flashes of a bit of a post up game. I've been left wanting to see him be more aggressive as he can pull up off the dribble but that wouldn't be a huge issue if he plays off the ball in the NBA.

Not the quickest laterally for a wing on defense, although not too bad either, but seems to make up for it with good awareness. He definitely has 3&D potential.

TorturedBlazerFan and BonesJones like this.
  5. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I just went back and read your analysis earlier in this thread. Mostly feel the same way. The quick release is spot on.

I've been watching highlights of Aaron Nesmith since he's hurt and wasn't playing. His main knock for me is his shot is super slow to develop but it's absolute money when he gets it off. I'm starting to really like him though and seems similar to Saddiq on a lot of things, at least offensively.

6. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I watched the Washington vs Arizona game yesterday.

Hard pass from me on Nico Mannion, Josh Green, and Zeke Nnaji from Arizona. I just don't see anything that makes me believe they'd excel on the next level.

Jaden McDaniels obviously has a huge ceiling but he makes Anfernee Simons' arms and legs look big. He's probably worth taking a chance on in the teens by some team but he also has huge bust potential to me. He's not really great at anything either other than maybe blocking shots. I obviously love his 7' wingspan and see his appeal I just don't know if I would take him where the Blazers are picking.

Isaiah Stewart has an NBA ready body and decent skills to match. I wish he was a little taller so he could be more of a center but his 7'4" wingspan makes up for it. I have a feeling he is going to struggle a bit when he gets to the NBA and is no longer the most physically imposing player on the floor every night. I think he'll be a solid energy big at the next level. I wouldn't be mad if the Blazers took him but there will be other players I like better in their range.

JDC likes this.
  7. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I keep waiting for Saddiq Bey to shoot the "three arrow" after he knocks down the three like Wes does.

8. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    On a side note, it's super depressing watching these games knowing that they're basically meaningless and none of these players will have a chance to become the darling of the NCAA tournament.

Like would Obi Toppin have been able to get Dayton to the Final Four?

tlongII and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  9. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I see more Taurean Prince with a lower release point.

hoopsjock likes this.
  10. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Nesmith isn't the same level passer or ball handler. Very weak left hand.

Likely worse defensively as well. IQ as a team defender is pretty rough.

11. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I wish we could've seen more of his progression this season.

12. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

I haven't read this thread but is anyone discussing the possibility that the usual "one and dones" may return to college for another year and how that will affect the draft?

13. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

Agreed. Our championship window is rapidly closing.

14. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

I’m not sure that’s such a great nucleus, to be honest. And I’m sick of building for the future, anyway. Let’s win a championship now!

15. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Oh yea it is closing and I made that comment back in November. Honestly I’ll say next season should truly be the last year before we tear it completely up.

This Dame/Cj era is getting so played out

16. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the NCAA will consider something radical and award redshirt seasons to athletes robbed of their championship seasons (winter and spring sports).

BonesJones likes this.
  17. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    What if they just take the seasons standings when they cancelled games and call that the Regular season and start the Playoffs from there. Portland would be in the absolute worst place. Didn't make the Playoffs but end up with the last Lottery pick. Currently #14 but only a 1/2 game out of #11.

That would stink!

18. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

19. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Watched 3 games of Theo Maledon over the last couple days.

He's pretty meh to me. Has some craft in his game but think it's mainly out of necessity. Very little burst and not a good single leg jumper. Not much of a pull up guy either. Lacks the balance, footwork and fluidity to project much improvement here either.

Handle is a mixed bag. Safe handle an has some nice change of pace, but not very explosive in and out of his moves. I do like his right hand hesitation when he can string out the big in pnr.

Decent finisher despite the tools. Does a good job slowing down and using his body and has some touch with either hand.

Playmaking wise, I don't see an NBA level initiator and lacks the speed/athleticism or scoring gravity to draw defenders to open up simple reads / opportunities for teammates. SG size though so he has some positional versatility if he isn't a lead guard.

I'd be more into him if he was better defensively. His size and decent lateral quickness give him some potential value on ball, but team D seemed lacking. Activity, awareness and positioning were all noted negatives for me. Could switch some if he gets stronger, but only weighs about 180lbs right now.

I know some people that are pretty high on him, but I'm not sure I'd even take him in the first. For instance, I think I'd have both Tre Jones and Devon Dotson ahead of him. Both those guys have noticeable flaws in their games as well, but also have some translatable strengths and have some starter potential if they develop in the right areas.

While I'm here, it's there anybody else that you guys would like me to do a deep dive on? Going to have some time the next couple days....

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  20. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

I think we need to target a D3 not 3D. We need a guy who make his living off of defense who happen to earn a bonus but knocking down 3 point shots. The problem with 3D guy is that we so often look at their form and shooting percentage and justify their okay defense as the guy we should draft. I am thinking Patrick Williams from FSU. You can tell this guy is focus on defense. He play a team defense very well. While his 3 point shooting doesn’t stand out, his form does. It’s a slightly slow but I trust our staff to speed that up a bit.