Official 76ers Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Really Lost One, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class="quote_poster">A.F. Venom Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">

What is the salary cap situation looking like for this team in the future anyway?</div>

Chris Webber, Jamal Mashburn, and Aaron Mckie all come off the books next summer. Our pay roll goes from roughly 65 million to 32 and change (before adding in the salaries of this years picks). As far as Byars goes I'm actually expecting more from him his rookie season, than I am from Young his rookie season. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up starting shooting guard come opening night. I loved the Young pick, the guy is the future, but right now he is unpolished, while Byars is NBA ready.

2. N4S

N4S BBW Member

They just said on CSN that King said this is no where no close to the roster that they will be putting on the floor in 3 months.

Then they went onto say that Yi was number one on their board then when that wasn't possible Noah was.

Then went onto say that they could possibly look to Milwaukee to get Yi in a trade.

3. Midnight Green

If we could acquire Yi by giving up guys like Carney or Korver I would do it. I like the idea of having Young and Byars on the team though I would not deal either of them.

4. N4S

N4S BBW Member

We could throw Green and Dal at them too.

5. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">N4S Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">We could throw Green and Dal at them too.</div>

I don't think we could give them Dalembert without taking a big contract in return.

6. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Blur Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If we could acquire Yi by giving up guys like Carney or Korver I would do it. I like the idea of having Young and Byars on the team though I would not deal either of them.</div>

It really doesn't seem like the Bucks are going to be trading Yi. They are really determined to get him in a Bucks uniform when it's all said and done. Also if they do trade him, I'd assume that they would want a first round pick in return. I wouldn't give up Korver, who we know what he brings to the table, in a deal to land someone who is virtually unknown.

I'm okay with Thaddeus Young after I sleep on it. Nobody with the 12 could've contributed in the post. However, Billy King really should have made a better run to trade up. Brandan Wright and Joakim Noah were still on the board when the Bobcats were picking at 8, and looking to shop the pick, so it baffles me why King didn't move up. I'd be feeling a lot better if Noah or Wright were in a Sixers uniform.

7. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

I`m concentrating on Young right now.

What the hell man? When we needed a good big man in an Al Thorton who could who could not only rebound but score some, we just add another wing player.

Just watching Jay Bilas discuss Young`s abilities, it sounded exactly like Rod Carney from last year. He can shoot, he can dunk, he`s quick. I just don`t get this pick when we already have 2 solid wing mans in Iggy, Korver and Carney.

8. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Apollo Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">

What the hell man? When we needed a good big man in an Al Thorton who could who could not only rebound but score some, we just add another wing player.

</div>

Thornton isn't really a big man, he has some post moves, but he is only 6'8" and at the age of 24 he does not have the upside that Young has. I think Thornton is going to end up being a good NBA player, but nothing special similar to an Al Harrington. Meanwhile, Young has the potential to be a star. I loved the fact that we picked him over Thornton.

9. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

I`ll admit I don`t have too much knowledge on college ball, but when I found we picked another wing player, I was pissed. But like I do for all the Sixer players, I`ll have all my faith in him.

Jason Smith looks like a solid big man that could do some stuff in the future, and I`m hearing alot of good things about Derrick Byars.

Like David Stern said last night, the countdown to next season begins and with that, I`m hoping BK isn`t hesitant to make any moves.

10. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

I hope Billy can pry Yi from Milwaukee without giving up too much. I know some of yall aren't too keen on Yi, but he's got even more upside than Young does.

11. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

I just got a text from Thad not too long ago. He really thought he slipped this year. I don't know who was advising him (maybe his dumbass father), but he thought he'd wind up slipping no further than the Bulls. So really, even though a lot of Philly fans are acting like the pick was a reach, it caught Young off guard that he was even available at #12.

Anyway, you've got a new fan in me. I'll be sure to make it down to Philly at least once this year to see my boy try to do his best NBA player impression. [​IMG]

12. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I hope Billy can pry Yi from Milwaukee without giving up too much. I know some of yall aren't too keen on Yi, but he's got even more upside than Young does.</div>

I would not trade any of the players we drafted this year for Yi. I would pull the trigger if Milwaukee would take Carney, Korver, or Green in return but that is about it. I agree wtih C.K. though I find it hard to believe that the Bucks are going to let go of Yi. I expect him to be in a Bucks uniform on opening day.

OT: I think the 76ers have one of the worst team web sites in the world. The information is scattered all over the place, and the layout is horrible.

13. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Well Yi wants out already, hope BK is working the phones.

14. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">OT: I think the 76ers have one of the worst team web sites in the world. The information is scattered all over the place, and the layout is horrible.</div>

AGREED.

15. Manhops23

Manhops23 Hi Rim my name is Lebron!

Billy had a good draft last night i wasn't really that big of a fan of the young pick. i really hope he's making a run at Yi

16. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

I loved this draft. Thaddeus Young will be great in a Sixers uniform. The guy is only 19 years old and has all the potential in the world. Coming into this college season, he was supposed to be one of the top ranked freshman, people were comparing him to Kevin Durant. The guy had the most star potential out of anyone still left at pick number 12. He is also a really hard worker, and I have no doubt he will be a great player for us one day.

The Jason Smith pick was alright, we needed more depth up front and that's what he gives us. From what I've read, Smith is a solid offensive player, and he could fit well along with Samuel Dalembert.

The Derrick Byars pick was a steal. If we drafted a big at #12, I would have been pushing for us to draft Byars with the #21st pick. I'm amazed he slipped so far down in the draft. As for the Herbert Hill pick, I admit I don't know a thing about him. But based on his scouting reports, he can be a pretty decent player for us.

All in all, I'd give this draft a B+. I felt we should have pushed harder to trade up, but I'm still pretty satisfied with the results.

Now for the Yi Jianlian rumors, I agree with Blur. I'm not willing to give up too much for the guy. Yi has all the makings for a "bust" IMO. Before we even try pursuing him, how about we first find out his real age? He can be a 25 year old player drafted solely on "potential"

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">BTW N4S nice to see you post man miss seeing you around the sixers board, as actively as you use to be. Great to see you back in here man. Hopefully AXB, Brian, and Avery come back soon and we can get this place active again.</div>
    Brian is back