Official Around the NBA - March Edition!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Strenuus, Mar 1, 2015.

1. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Step away from the keyboard. :blink:

2. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Eric, you have some 'splainin to do.... why are you following the Rockets twitter account?!?!?!

3. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

The Warriors do have a problem though. They do not run a half court offense well at all.

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Without Will Barton, Nuggets are 20-34.
    With Will Barton, they are 0-4.

Will Barton to Denver has destroyed them more than the Josh Smith trade has hurt Houston.

BNM

Strenuus likes this.
  5. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    It wasn't me. I'm not the only guy you argue with here.

6. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Josh Smith wasn't traded. He was CUT cuz he sucks.

7. Strenuus

It was you. Don't worry, we want the same thing, I ain't mad.

8. Strenuus

lol.

9. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Memphis has one hot head who lets others get under his skin at times. Z-Bo.
    Who doesn't even lead their team in Tech's this year...

Gasol deserves league MVP. Memphis is the best team in the league and I hate it when they play the Blazers.
    They deserve more respect than your giving them.
    The only time Memphis has ever looked out matched in the playoffs is vs the Spurs when they made the WCF.
    That's it.
    But the Spurs do that to a lot of teams. Did it to the Blazers last year.
    Memphis could beat any team in the West in the playoffs. That's how good they are.
    Before this season started my rl friends thought I was crazy when I predicted Memphis dropping 60+ wins this year.
    Memphis is just good yo.
    Never thought the Spurs would go from dropping 60+winning a ring to struggling to pull out 50.

10. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    It wasn't. I brought up minutes that one time and you said it was my go-to move. That was the first time I brought up. If it was my go-to move, show me examples. It wasn't me.

11. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    It's true. He was cut cuz he was having the worst shooting year in the history of the game.

12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Oh my. Where do I begin? Gasol should not be MVP. He isn't an MVP caliber player. He can't even grab 10 rebounds! Look at what players like Barkley and Olajuwon did in 1993 and 1994. Even Robinson in 1995! Those dudes were MVPs. Marc Gasol is a defensive role player with a jump shot. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd pick Laimbeer on my team over Marc Gasol.

Memphis is not the best team in the NBA. Geesh, they just got blown out at home by the Griffin-less Clippers. And they lost to Kings. I mean come on. Cousins is better than Gasol. Gasol is not MVP. In my book, he's not even top 10 (Aldridge, Harden, Curry, LeBron, Teague, Jordan, Duncan, Lillard, A Davis, Lowry in any order).

Only time Grizzlies were outmatched?? I can think of ANOTHER! LOL, Memphis was outmatched in playoffs when Clippers came back from 28 down with 8 minutes to play IN Memphis in Game 1! And they lost game 7 at HOME. So they start the series with the most spectacular choke job in NBA playoff history and then they end it by being one of those rare home teams that loses a game 7? They're horrible,...

Next!

13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    By the way, with Paul George coming back, the Pacers are shaping up to be a real threat to win the East. Crazy.

14. Strenuus

I'll scour and find it. You're the only one that would use an argument like that, anyway.

15. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Your kind of obnoxious aren't you?
    I'm a huge Aldridge fan but he's not even close to being as good as Tim Duncan was.
    Therefore Aldridge shouldn't be in the MVP conversation because Tim Duncan was 100x better than Aldridge.
    See how silly that argument is? I hope you do, and compare it to your silly statement.
    For this season Gasol is deserving of the MVP. No he's not as good as the all time greats Olajuwon, Robinson, Wilt, Russel..................................
    I'm not going to argue that Gasol is > than Olajuwon... ever... But if you look at each of their 7th years in the league you can easily see their advanced stats are comparable... Olajuwon has the edge in a lot of the categories.. it's a slight edge.

Your definition of outmatched is out of whack...
    Being outmatched means you have zero chance of winning... Every game is over before it began..
    Being that... the series you brought up went seven games... Obviously it was a mismatched series where one team was far superior to the other.
    Whack.

So once again.. the only time Memphis was outmatched in the playoffs in recent history... is when they lost 4-0 to the Spurs in the 2013 WCF...
    Blazers lost to the Kings when they were playing well... start of the season or not. The Kings were better to start the season than they are now.
    Clippers are better w/o Blake Griffin.. Clippers got shot really well VS Memphis.. They also beat the clippers w/o Griffin........ But I guess you don't want to remember these things, as it makes your argument seem Whack.

Your book is whack and you're arguments are obnoxious.
    Defensive role player with a jump shot. Whack. Forget the 30+ ppg he's put up.. 6 times this year?. Forget that the offense is ran through Gasol, forget their record w/o Gasol.
    He's clearly a role player.

Draco, blue32 and Strenuus like this.
  16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I didn't. Maybe it was mags.

17. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    If you blow a 28 point lead with 8 minutes left, you're awful and they never had a chance.

Whoa... Gasol has scored 30 points? Laimbeer did that shit too. And he grabbed 23 rebounds and blocked 4 shots while he was doing it and no one gave him MVP. I'm not making this stuff up:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199001260DET.html

I guess I shouldn't have even compared Laimbeer to Marc Gasol. Laimbeer was far better and won two championships but no one ever talked about Laimbeer for MVP. He was a defensive role player with a jumpshot. And a better one than Marc Gasol. Marc Gasol isn't even the best player on his team. The best players on the Grizzlies are Zach Randolph and Beno Udrih.

Grizzlies did beat Clippers in LA but BARELY. Clippers destroyed the Grizzlies in Memphis.

The Grizzlies only made the WCF because they faced injured teams to get there. Spurs were healthy so they got swept. Grizzlies will never return to WCF. If they get past the first round this year, I'll tip my hat to them but I doubt it will happen. If they play a healthy Clippers team in the playoffs, they will get killed. At their core, the Grizzlies are losers. They hate success. The Warriors dropped some games these last couple weeks and the door was open for the Grizzlies to challenge for the #1 seed. But noo the Grizzlies choke on the opportunity by losing to Kings and getting routed at home, only scoring 74 points!! The chance was there for the Grizzlies and they ran away from it. Or even worse, maybe they tanked because they are afraid of another first round beating by the Thundet, lol!!

18. Strenuus

go to bed. you're drunk.

blue32 and H.C. like this.
  19. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

It's whack that you're even trying to argue this...
    I agree with some things you say..On other topics...
    And I gave you the chance to just be quiet, my mistake.
    I want to mention this first.
    Guess there goes your book on who should be MVP in "any order" Lowry aint in the convo.
    I won't even bring up his stats since the all-star break. I can if needed though.

They didn't get routed by the kings. They lost by 12 points.
    The Kings put up 26 in the 4th, Memphis put up 13. There's the game.
    Kings got hot, what you ganna do? Fluke loss. That's why the playoffs are a best of 7.
    You said when the Blazers lost to Utah, that Utah got hot and the game didn't matter.. They just got hot and the Blazers lost.
    Here's the post(s).
    In Recent History the clippers and Grizz have faced twice in the playoffs. Grizz are 1-1 in those series.
    Grizz lost in 7 games in 2012. Won in 6 games in 2013..
    After the Clippers went up 2-0 in 2013.. The Clippers lost 4 in a row.. losing by 12, 11, 10, 13. Choke job.
    (if you remember, CP3 fouled Tony Allen on CP3's drive for the game winner. Was an obvious offensive foul that wasn't called)
    Griffin wasn't completely healthy but neither was Gasol or Z-Bo.
    Injuries aren't an excuse. Griffin was still playing, Z-Bo was coming off a torn ACL. Griffin is soft and was ate alive by Z-Bo.
    Just like in 2012 Griffin was ate alive by Duncan. But that's a diff topic.

On the B2B vs the clippers Memphis played...
    The Clippers had an 8 point lead and blew it vs a tired team who was off of a B2B vs the Blazers.
    But then again Portland blew many leads vs Memphis, can't be too hard on the Clippers w/o being hard on Blazers too.
    Clippers shot 46% and Memphis shot 37% in the game Memphis lost by 19.
    11 of those 19 points came in the 4th quarter when Memphis only put up 17 points to the clippers 28.
    In the 3rd The Clippers were hitting seven of their first 10, including all five from outside the arc, giving Los Angeles a 62-47 lead before maintaining a 69-62 advantage entering the fourth.

Lots of hyperbole in your last paragraph.

Gasol > Lambeer. Gasol holds advantages in nearly ever advanced stat in comparison to them. Go back to The Dream, or The Admiral..
    The only thing Lambeer has over gasol is rings. One can argue while he was important.. If he didn't have those players around him he wouldn't have got those rings.
    Put Mutombo on those Piston teams and they win also. Lambeer was a defensive only Center.
    Gasol is an elite two way player.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...een-key-to-memphis-grizzlies-late-season-run/
    Little reading material for you to realize Marc Gasol is clearly their best player by far. He's got better this year and deserves more than Kyle Lowry to be in the MVP discussion.
    And IMO with the Grizz record. He deserves the MVP over Curry/Lebron/Harden.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Draco, magnifier661 and blue32 like this.
  20. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Mutombo wasn't in the league when the Pistons won that title. When did Gasol ever put up 31 points 23 rebounds and 4 blocks? Laimbeer was waaaayyyy better than Gasol. It's hard to have an intelligent discussion with someone who says otherwise. If Gasol won MVP, he'd be the worst MVP ever. A center who can't grab more than 8 rebounds? Please. You have no idea what you are talking about. You must be young. Laimbeer was more than just a defensive center. He was a very good offensive player. A good three point shooter. At his peak, he averaged 17.3 ppg and 12.2 rog. Better than Marc Gasol.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015