Notice OFFICIAL Around The NBA Thread- November 2020

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, Oct 30, 2020.

1. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Did the Dallas trade never go through? Or did it morph into a 3-way? I swear he was headed there yesterday.

2. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Woj reported it wrong and corrected himself after.

Chris Craig likes this.
  3. Titan

Titan Well-Known Member

it seems every year there is just one guy who gets moved around a lot each year. Ariza is the winner (or loser?) this year.

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

And he will probably get waived by OKC

5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

The season starts in a month!

THE HCP likes this.
  6. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

7. THE HCP

Preseason games BEFORE that!!!

BigGameDamian and Hoopguru like this.
  8. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Ah, I missed that correction.

Ariza must feel like MC Hammer in that "life comes at you fast" commercial.

9. RoseCityRebel

RoseCityRebel Well-Known Member

Mercenary
    Wizard Mentor likes this.
  10. THE HCP

Haven’t been in much today, don’t know if anybody shared this already, but DAMN!

11. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I clicked on this really wanting to read about who improved the most in the off season. Yes Portland is in the top 5 but this story By Kurt Helin is written so badly with so many holes in it, it wants to make my head explode!
    https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/2...ve-teams-who-improved-the-most/?partner=Yahoo

Just the section regarding the Blazers alone will leave you thinking "What is this guy talking about???

"THE PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
    For years the feeling has been the same: Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum are an amazing backcourt, but is that enough? Then a few years back Jusuf Nurkic came on board, adding strong passing and a presence in the paint, and while that got them to the conference finals the issue was still a lack of defense and depth on the wing.

Portland added Robert Covington to the mix and he is the high-level 3&D wing this team needed. Mix in a re-signed and healthy Rodney Hood and suddenly the wing play for Portland looks pretty good. Portland also re-signed Carmelo Anthony, and while the future Hall of Famer will see a reduced role (especially with Zach Collins healthy), his presence helps this team.

Portland filled weaknesses and got better. In a West loaded at the top (Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, plus Dallas and Utah looking to leap up to the top four, Golden State getting healthier, and the list goes on), it’s not going to be an easy season for the Trail Blazers, but this is a team that can do some damage in the West."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course the Blazers got better and yes many of us have questioned the back court. But absolutely no one ever thought that was enough???
    Nurkic coming into the picture helped them get a good season but he was never in the playoffs when they went to the conference finals? This guy doesn't even mention Kanter?
    Lack of defense was not really a problem when the had a top 10 defense with Harkless and Aminu it was absolutely the inability to make a team pay for doubling Lillard.
    There is no way Utah is going to leap into the top four and i question if Dallas can as well?
    Golden State just lost Thompson again for the season.

It's like this dude is in an alternate reality that only sees the Lakers as the best team in the league? Is "Former Defensive Player of the year" Marc Gasol really that much an upgrade over "3 time defensive player of the year" Dwight Howard? DH has had his problems yes but in the Bubble that dude was an anchor of their second unit and he played a nasty type of ball they needed and this matched with losing JaVale McGee. I do like Gasol but he is also 35 going on 36.
    Then he goes on to say Shroder is an upgrade over Rondo. I say maybe on that? Stats don't always tell the story and AD feasted when Rondo was on the court.
    I'll give him the upgrade on Mathews over Danny Green. But again, is it really a huge upgrade? If you watched the games in the bubble Green made play after play for the team. Yes i know he airballed a three to lose a game or was it just a giant BRICK when he could have made a better decision. Either way Wesley Mathews is not the same Mathews he was just 2 years ago.

Okay i'll give you i just hate the Lakers but really did they make the best upgrades just because any upgrade with LeBron and Davis is the best?

Dom McBlazer and e_blazer like this.
  12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Those were almost exactly my thoughts when I read that article. You saved me a lot of time writing a comment. Thanks.

kjironman1 likes this.
  13. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
  14. THE HCP

15. THE HCP

16. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Bam signing an extension kind of signals that Giannis is going to sign some sort of extension. They share the same agent.

17. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Could be that, but maybe the agent just wanted to secure the bag (and the commission) for his other customer. Right now Bam was 100% lock for the max so he had only to lose if he decided to wait one more season just for the hope to sign Giannis. An injury could destroy everything.

18. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Maybe, but Miami's the type of team that takes care of their players even if they get injured so I don't think that's the reason. Waiting on an extension saves the Heat a ton of capspace next year.

Hoopguru likes this.
  19. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Zach Collins could never

20. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

some of these contracts...wow

if a player makes 36.5M he's getting paid 100K a day. That's $4167/hour. $69.44/minute...every minute of every day all year long

somebody signs a 160M deal over 5 years...if you make $50,000 a year, it will only take you 3200 years to match

of course then there's Jeff Bezos who has 180 billion. If you save $5000 a year, it would only take 36 million years to match him