Notice Official Around The WNBA: May 2024

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, May 14, 2024.

1. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Sellout crowd of 19,000 in LA as LA vs Indiana featured three of the top four draft picks. Cameron Brink had a double double for Sparks but Fever came back from 11 point halftime deficit for first victory. (Last two losses by combined six points so they are getting together.) Caitlin Clark with near triple double and two fourth quarter shots from next zip code.

Boomchakalaka2 and THE HCP like this.
  2. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Indiana edged Chicago in battle of top rookies. 6'7" Brazilian Camila Cardoso made her debut after missing start of season with shoulder injury. Sellout crowd. In five home games, Indiana has drawn more fans total than in all 20 home games last year combined.

rotary111 likes this.
  3. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

What's up with all the Clark hate? America really is a place full of haters.

4. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Some people just love to tear someone down. Someone more successful than they are.

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't get the hate at all but this young lady has done more for the WNBA's exposure and popularity than most of their greatest players have been able to do. For all right reasons, she's been great for women's basketball.

6. Boomchakalaka2

Boomchakalaka2 Member

I believe the hate has much to do with her being white and straight. Coupled with the media attention she has received over the past year, many are simply pissed off or envious and wish to tear her down. She’s really taking a lot of shit and I hope that she stays strong and can prove her critics wrong by her tenacity and poise.

7. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

I hate how overdramatic and whiny she is and how much of a flopper. She's a primadonna.

She brings it on herself

Much prefer Sabrina and Paige Bueckers.

8. JFizzleRaider

Caitlin clark has made more people interested in the wnba. Players and coaches should be celebrating her. Someone on her team needs to be an enforcer and make a statement that they can't mess with Clark. For some reason it just feels like the league is jealous of her. If she improves viewership and gets more interest league wide......no need to be jealous.

9. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

She's been on a pedestal her whole career and people are trying to knock her off. I dont like here overdramatic act & arguing all calls. It's our culture in this country anymore seems to go after one another and then declare victimhood.

10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Her whole career? She's only been popular for a couple years. In 2020, nobody knew who she was; Paige Bueckers was the golden child. Clark surpassed her (and Reese) because of her talent, not because of people putting her on a pedestal.

RR7 and JFizzleRaider like this.
  11. Boomchakalaka2

Boomchakalaka2 Member

Agree to disagree - some of the hits she has taken should have lead to suspensions.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  12. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    she seems to tick all the actual skill boxes, but seems to not tick any of the bonus boxes that social media and various minority groups champion.

she's done a lot for women's basketball and apparently nowhere near enough for some parts of the social landscape she isnt a part of.

i enjoy watching her play, but all the backlash post the splash shouldnt be a huge shock to anyone considering everything in recent memory.

upload_2024-6-3_9-34-6.jpeg

13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Implying hs and College. Im sure she was a star athlete while in HS even Jr HS.

14. Phatguysrule

That's what happens when you flop all the time. Officials have to decide if it's a real hit or not, and they miss it a lot. And since you flop all the time they won't give the hard hits the serious attention they might deserve. And other players naturally hit floppers harder. Because if they're going to get called anyway they might as well get their due.

I have no respect for that crap.

She's a good enough player that she shouldn't need all the dramatic overacting.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    Hoopguru likes this.
  15. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

What's up with all the love?

I don't care either way, except that she is so constantly celebrated in the media, but that so many people care about a woman who hasn't won much of anything since high school (assuming she won then?) is weird. I wonder if people will keep buying tickets if her team keeps losing and she keeps shooting under 40%.

16. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

She is marketable not just for being straight and white. Middle America, moderately pretty but not drop dead gorgeous or overly sexy or flamboyant, smart enough to get a degree but not so brilliant she intimidates. Polite, well behaved, avoids controversy. At 6' she's a tall woman but doesn't tower over most men like Cameron Brink, Camilla Cardozo, Angel Reese. Even the name has rhythm.

A totally different type but I remember when Shaquille O'Neal arrived with massive hype. Huge endorsement deals, sellout crowds, top selling jersey. Players who felt they had paid their dues, so to speak, for years were not thrilled this kid arrives and gets all the attention.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  17. JFizzleRaider

Sometimes you gotta just ride the wave. Her popularity should be good for the sport as a whole. Unfortunately when people take a peek and get interested they see cheap shots and jealousy for the new golden child. Sure her fg% isn't there yet, but her team sucks, they need an enforcer, and I think it is obvious that Clark will need to focus on putting some strength on her frame this offseason.

It just makes no sense to me that these players want to shit all over her any chance they get instead of celebrating and helping the league go to new heights.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
  18. JFizzleRaider

19. Boomchakalaka2

Boomchakalaka2 Member

she’s being targeted. Nothing to do with flopping. Angel Reese just fined $5,000. by the WNBA for hard hit on Clark. Point made

20. Phatguysrule

She flops all the time. The WNBA isn't going to allow people to hurt Clark. The idea that they are going to allow it is just laughable. If you dominate the ball as a scorer you're going to get targeted.

The ball simply doesn't move as well for Indiana when Clark is in. They honestly aren't as good when she's in.

As she learns the pro game better she'll stop seeing so much attention.

I have no doubt Reese would be fouling Clark hard. I'm sure Clark is being physical the other way as well. They've got history.

*Edit* However, Reese didn't get fined for any foul. She was fined $1000 for not making herself available to the media after that game. The team was fined $5000 for not making her available. The player who actually committed the flagrant foul in question was not fined at all.