Official Cavs Playoff Race Thread

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by KarmaCav, Feb 20, 2004.

1. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Cavs win, Raps, Celts, and Heat lose.

Sittin' nice as the 6th seed, but I do hear ya on the Pistons, but let's see if they can keep this up, because they have went on some hot streaks before, only to go on a cold one later.

2. KarmaCav

KarmaCav JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting redscoon:</div><div class="quote_post">Suddenly meeting up with the Pistons in the first round doesn't seem so good after all....

They just held their 4th straight opponent under 70.</div>
    Still beats plays the Nets.

I think the Pistons will cool a little, and they haven't face the Z machine. LOL

Fifth seems out of reach although Milwaukee and the Hornets have cooled. Its nice to aim high.

3. KarmaCav

Chasing The 5th Seed?

With our recent run of good form, and generally favourable results, we find ourselves sitting nicely in 6th position in the East. Yes, we have always said this past month that the 6th spot was our goal. However I do not think anyone thought it would come this quick. I for one did not!

So obviously our next goal is to maintain this position, and consolidate it with further good results. We need to keep winning with the chasing pack of Miami and New York have reasonable schedules for the run home. But considering we reached that 6th spot so quickly, is it time to set that bar higher? Scary thought that 4th and 5th seed. The dizzying heights.

Well this is what we are looking at :

New Orleans are playing the next few weeks without one of their stars in Jamal Mashburn due to another injury. With Baron also not 100%, you never know. With Floyd at the helm, they have an experienced loser. Maybe it can rub off on the players. The Hornets have a losing record since the break, so if this slide continues, and the Cavaliers continue on their merry way, well.....

Then we have Milwaukee. Missing their key rookie and distributor T.J Ford can have the same affect as the Hornets without Mashburn. He may not be the scorer like Mash, but he has been a solid contributor, much like the way McInnis has been for the Cavaliers. With a rookie coach aboard, and not too many experienced finals guys (Kukoc the exception) they are a possibility to crumble. I may be wrong, but was it the Bucks a few years back that choked down the stretch when they were assured a playoff spot back in the Cassell, Allen and Robinson years? I may be wrong, plus its a completely different bunch. Back on subject, the Bucks to, have been less then impressive since the break. So again you never know....

In saying all this, I do not expect the Cavaliers to finish any higher than 6th. It would take some crash from either or both for the Cavaliers to rise up. Personally I'm happy with 6th, but it would be nice to avoid the Pistons in the first round!

BTW : Hornets being smashed by the Rockets 90 - 77 with a minute to play.

4. polarbear

polarbear JBB JustBBall Member

its very possible, but we need to stay hot on this homestand, and have new orleans continue to stink. i think baron is pretty healthy considering the 33 he dropped on the heat last night. i dont think we'll catch them, but itd be nice, my very lofty goal for the rest of the year is for the cavs to reach .500. they need to go 12-5 the rest of the way to do it, very possible.

5. KarmaCav

If we were to get to .500 like polarbear says, the Hornets are only 3 games over, so a drop of 3 games is quite possible. We also control the series this season head to head.

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Cavs are 6 games behind the Hornets in the loss column, you would then have to win at least 5 in a row to be level, seems impossible to me. However finishing the season at 500 is possible but is still an up hill battle.

The Bucks will not break down, they to me a already a lock for the playoffs and I don't see them giving up the 4th seed either.

7. KarmaCav

Well it is 5 losses behind now! They to me are too far ahead, but worse crumbles have happenned. Anyway I only have my fingers crossed. Definatley no money put on it.

8. jbbKing James

Games from tonight...

Sixers beat the Knicks
    Pacers beat the Celtics
    Heat beat the Sonics

2 out of 3 ain't bad!

9. redscoon

redscoon JBB JustBBall Member

Cavs alone in 6th place now. We have two losses less than the Raptors, Celts, and Sixers now.

It would be nice to beat the Pacers and keep this streak going to put a little distance between us and the teams battling for 8th.

10. jbbKing James

Only game tonight that means anything...

Celtics @ Wizards

Arenas has been hot, so let's hope they can give the C's their 3rd straight loss.

11. KarmaCav

Well the Raptors just activated Rose for their final fling for a playoff spot! Should be interesting monitoring their progress. Celtics reaming quite hot to stay on pace. Wish they would hurry up and die, because all they are doing is making there lottery selection closer to 14th pick.

On tonights games, Phili are going down to the Pistons. 14 down near the end of the 3rd. Toronto are about to pick up a win over Atlanta, keeping pressure on the other contenders.

Other games to start later has New Jersey travelling to Miami. I think Miami will take them, but my fingers are crossed for the Nets. New York are at Milwaukee. Hopefully the Bucks will continue their season home form.

And of course the mighty Cavaliers out pace Indiana!

12. Viscanti

Viscanti JBB JustBBall Member

4 Games out of 5th.

The bucks lost tonight, putting the Cavs only 4 games out of the 5th spot. Maybe it's just blind optimisim, but i think it's very possible the Cavs could capture the 5th spot. With 2 head-2-head games left with Milwaukee and the Cavs on a roll, i think it is very possible that we could see New Orleans in the playoffs. We are 3 and 1 v.s New Orleans. We could be looking at the second round of the playoffs.
    Is this possible? Let me know what you think.

13. jbbKing James

Welcome to the board Viscanti, where did you come from by the way?

Hope you don't get upset, but we have this huge playoff race thread here to talk about it [​IMG]

Cavs sure can catch the Bucks, who have not been playing too good of late.

14. Viscanti

Viscanti JBB JustBBall Member

Thanks for the welcome King James. No problem, i didn't think to put my post in the playoff thread. Duh. I used to check in on the ESPN boards every once in a while but never posted there. There were always too many trolls. I love this board though. Cavs are looking great, making a good push for the playoffs.

15. jbbKing James

I hear ya on those trolls man, I used to be an ESPN poster too.

Cavs have been lucky to be one of the more healthy teams all season too.

16. KarmaCav

A mixture of highs and lows tonight for Cavalier fans tonight!

Big news is the Cleveland's solid win over NBA leaders Indiana for their 6th straight.
    Detroit also did the right thing by defeating the 76's, while once again holding their opposition to under 70.
    However the rejuvinated Raptors with Rose aboard smashed the Hawks.
    Miami upset division leading New Jersey Nets confortably by 9.
    New York come from 20+ points behind to steal a win in Milwaukee.

Those wins by Miami and New York were disappointing as we could of had a 1 1/2 game spread on both. Oh well, we better just keep on winning!

17. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

I say teh Cavs can get the 5th seed- 2 head-to-head matchups with the Hornets. When a young team like this gets hot, it's hard for them to stop.

18. CBBI

CBBI JBB JustBBall Member

All we have to do is keep on winning baby!

We keep winning and we are IN the playoffs.... how sweet does that sound?

19. DJRaz

DJRaz JBB JustBBall Member

cavs will lose again, but i can see them going 70%+ for the rest of the season, barring injury.

20. CBBI

CBBI JBB JustBBall Member

You kidding me?

We won't lose another game this season.

I'm only half-kidding.

[​IMG]