Official Coaching News Thread

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Sorry for the late reply. I've been kind of busy lately.

2. Knicks Analyst

Knicks Analyst JBB ? Israel ?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Bill Laimbeer has a smooth fake. The former Pistons bad boy and current Detroit Shock GM and head coach tried to sidestep questions about his interest in coaching the Knicks yesterday.

"I am going to try and answer this as politically as I can," Laimbeer said at the Garden. "I will be in Detroit until my daughter graduates and then we will see what comes my way."</div>
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketba...8p-267036c.html

3. Nylex

Nylex JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">May 24, 2005 -- The Knicks' chances of getting a sit-down with Nate McMillan imminently took a blow yesterday.

Seattle president Wally Walker said he won't grant permission to other teams to talk to his coach until he starts negotiations with him and his agent next week. McMillan is under contract with Seattle until June 30. </div>

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/44586.htm

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

edited.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Edited.

6. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Edited.

7. Knicks Analyst

Carlesimo update:<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">San Antonio - San Antonio Spurs assistant P.J. Carlesimo hopes to become an NBA head coach again, but things don't look good right now with New York or Minnesota.

Carlesimo acknowledged Wednesday that he has had interest from both teams but hasn't heard from either of late. He was a head coach at Portland and Golden State, but is widely known for once being choked during a Golden State practice by Latrell Sprewell.

"They both said that they are not going to try to interfere with what you're doing and we'll reach out," Carlesimo said about Minnesota and New York. "Obviously, when people are reaching out more often and you're talking to them more often you feel better. I felt better a couple weeks ago than I do now." </div>
    http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_2791824

Larry?
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">SAN ANTONIO - Down here with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Eva Longoria's boyfriend, and a bunch of Detroit Pistons who are still irate that they haven't gotten enough credit for what they did to the Lakers a year ago, we've got just what the NBA wants in the 2005 Finals:
    Two more weeks of Larry Brown rumors.

America must be sick of Larry by now and all the talk about his next job. Will he go to Cleveland to become president of the Cavaliers? (Probably.)
    </div>
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketba...8p-271300c.html

8. Knicks Analyst

Larry Brown update!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Cleveland Cavaliers are still waiting for the NBA Finals to end and for doctors at the Mayo Clinic to say Brown's health won't permit him to coach again so he can accept their offer to become president of basketball operations. Isiah Thomas won't hire a coach for the Knicks until Brown declares that he absolutely has no intention of coaching in New York.</div>
    Link (Register to read)

June 15th - Daily News
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Laimbeer is regarded as a legitimate candidate even though for the Knicks, selling him as a better option than Williams would be tougher than trading Penny Hardaway's contract. Thomas' first choice all along has been Larry Brown, whom Thomas has often called the best coach in basketball.</div>
    Link

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Brown Headed to NY?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">When the original plans for Larry Brown's hustle to Cleveland were in the works, one source close to his camp insists, the plot included bringing Philadelphia president Billy King as his general manager and Memphis' John Calipari as coach. Everything would stay on the sly, the Pistons' season would end and the Travelin' Man would be on the move again, leaving the Pistons' bench for $10 million a year and the use of a private jet to commute between his Philadelphia home and Cleveland.

"Once Larry got called out on the whole Cleveland thing, he changed gears with it," the source said, and now, no one is sure where the befuddled Brown plans to turn once Game 7 of the NBA Finals is over tonight in San Antonio. From Detroit to Cleveland to New York, they're waiting on the end of the NBA Finals to see where the next gust of wind blows Brown, because maybe this time it could bring him all the way back to Madison Square Garden.</div>

Source

These rumors just won't die.

10. Knicks Analyst

Herb done?
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"Nothing's official regarding Herb Williams' future as coach of the Knicks. But if the words uttered by team president Isiah Thomas shortly after midnight yesterday are any indication, it appears Williams is on his way out. After an eventful 2005 draft, in which the Knicks took 6-11 center Channing Frye with the eighth pick overall and completed the Kurt Thomas trade with Phoenix, Thomas said of Williams, "I think Herb has been extremely professional. He's given us an opportunity to go out and talk to and interview some of the brightest minds. As I've said. ... all along, we like Herb Williams as a coach, he did a fine job when he was here."</div>
    Source

11. Knicks Analyst

Larry to get fired?
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Isiah Thomas' protracted wait for Larry Brown may prove to be Thomas' smartest play yet as Knicks' president.
    In recent days, various reports have surfaced that Pistons owner Bill Davidson will fire Brown and it sounds as if Brown is daring Detroit to do just that. The Knicks, according to a league source, are more optimistic than ever they will have a real chance of hiring Brown as their coach.

"The things going on in Detroit are legitimate," the source said. "It sounds like Davidson wants to fire him."
    </div>
    Link

12. Trueplaya4real

Trueplaya4real JBB JustBBall Member

I dont understand whats wrong with Herb Williams as the Knicks head coach. This team was totally out of the playoffs in January and February and he helped them go on a late win streak towards the end of the season, unfortunately when Wade hit that jumpshot at the Garden i just said, Playoff hopes for the Knicks are over.

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

^We were still in contention around that time. The way the Atlantic was shaped, regardless of our losing, we always found a way to be 4 or 5 games behind the leader. I see Herb returning as our coach next season; in fact, I'm almost 100% sure it will happen. If the Pistons re-sign Brown, then who else is there for us? Detroit will more than likely get him back and plus Herb has done a fairly decent job for us and it seems as if the rest of the league is pulling for Herb to be re-signed.

14. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">ESPN and NY Post - Larry Brown, reached by telephone by The Associated Press on Tuesday, is on the verge of becoming the Knicks' head coach.

"I wouldn't have met with the owner and with Herb if I didn't think this would move forward," Brown said. "I just can't go any further than that."

Team president Isiah Thomas said he was in a meeting with team owner James Dolan and Madison Square Garden president Steve Mills this morning and could not comment on whether Brown had given the Knicks definitive acceptance.

Shelly Brown, Larry Brown's wife, is saying that the process could be near completion by the end of the day.

"Knicks management is meeting, and we're waiting to hear from them. We're all on board," she said.

Shelly Brown also expressed similar sentiments to the NY Post: "Just some little things have to be tied up before saying 'yes.' I'm starting to get excited, I hope it works out."

Brown appears to be on the verge of accepting the Knicks' head coaching job. Contract negotiations with his agent, Joe Glass, could yield an agreement in principle today, with Brown announced at a press conference before the week is over.

"The people here are terrific," Shelly Brown said. "I liked Jim very much. Isiah, we've known him for a while, he's a good guy and he's been honest. That could be nice. We want to make sure everyone is on the same page. They are. We don't want to find out afterwards they're not. We want to make sure the expectations are in check."</div>
    Source

15. Nylex

Nylex JBB JustBBall Member

Ooh wee!

16. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">New York Times - Larry Brown, the Hall of Famer and NBA world champion, has agreed to coach the New York Knicks .

"He's made his decision that he wants to coach the Knicks," Brown's agent, Joe Glass, said yesterday. "Now it's up to the Knicks and myself to come up with an arrangement that works for both parties." </div>

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...pts_knicks_job/

17. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I'm mad happy right now. I believe KA called this a while ago and I thought there was no way we were going to get Larry. Now with Larry coaching us, we get a Hall of Fame caliber coach and we are more than legitimate contenders in the Atlantic. Herb is also his top assistant, too. If we get that offensive coordinator to our arsenal (Westphal?), we might just have the best coaching staff around. Isiah strikes again, but this time, he's made his best move ever.

19. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting j0se:</div><div class="quote_post">This means Raptors are a lock for last place [​IMG]</div>

Good. We'll be able to get Rudy Gay then. [​IMG]

20. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting j0se:</div><div class="quote_post">This means Raptors are a lock for last place [​IMG]</div>

Dont be too sure [​IMG] We had some "casual" competition last year and it turned out messy for everyone....especially Knicks fans. [​IMG]

Just playing around, seriously i do expect the Knicks to be an improved team, the Raptors and Knicks should be in a tight race for mediocrity.