Official Coaching News Thread

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SkiptoMyLue11:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree that Nate Robinson will be capable of having an immediate impact from game one. But I would question Frye and Lee's ability to contribute right away. Not to mention Larry Brown is about winning and will most likely will restrict time given to unrefined rookie players. Lee will be among the whatever # of PFs on knicks, and probably doesn't deserve minutes over Rose, Sweetney, and the hustle minutes from JYD.</div>

David Lee hustles, plays pretty good defense, and rebounds. If you do those 3 things, your a Larry Brown type player. That IMO is why Lee will get fair minutes as a rookie.

2. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

I feel bad for Channing Frye though.. He'll most likely be treated as a second coming of Darko Milicic.

3. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

So it's official now, huh? Good pickup by the Knicks, even Isiah couldn't mess this one up [​IMG] Now, just like with Phil in L.A again, we'll see just how great a coach Larry Brown is. This sets the stage for two all time great coaches to truly prove their mettle this year. Should be fun to watch.

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">Not all of his teams got better by nine games. Some got better by a couple some got better by alot so the Knicks arent guaranteed to win nine more games. Also I'd rather be dead last in the NBA than seeded 8th in the playoffs these days. At least with the former you have a good chance at getting the number one pick. But with the latter you're guaranteed to leave in the first round and be stuck with a mid first round pick.</div>
    Yes, I know, I?m just saying that that?s the average and if the average took place, we?d be in the playoffs. I personally think we?d be seeded higher than 8th, but I guess we?ll just have to wait and see. All I know is that out of all the teams Brown has been with, when it?s all said and done, overall they have a record over .500.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You can lead a horse to water...As good as Larry Brown might be he cannot make them play defense. He can try to make them more defensive minded but I seriously doubt it's going to work on Marbury, Crawford and Q.
    James is foul prone and Frye is not going to intimidate anybody.</div>
    Well, put it this way: Crawford and especially Marbury want to remain Knicks and if they obey Brown, than there will be no problems, but if they don?t, they will be traded. I?m sure they?ll understand that formula. He can improve their defense as well. I?m not quite sure, but I don?t remember Chauncey Billups being regarded as a particularly good defender before Larry Brown, but he changed his ways and became better.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Richardson isnt that good of an outside shooter. Hell Houston on one leg is better than him. TT shot pretty well in the second half of the season I'm not going to try to lie. But he didnt take that many shots behind the arc so I dont know how well his percentages would do if he had to take more. As for Crawford I'm starting to believe he'll never learn a good shot from a bad shot. I dont know if it's his basketball IQ or what.</div>
    Richardson is what he is ? a good shooter. He?s not on Houston?s level by any stretch, but he is a good shooter. In February, TT started to revive his game and since then, he has been rather consistent. In February, TT attempted 3.3 shots from outside; in March, TT attempted 4 shots from outside; in April, TT attempted 3.3 shots from outside. Crawford is learning. Believe it or not, when he was in Chicago, his shot selection was much worse. Now playing with Larry Brown, he?ll be okay. As I said before, Chauncey Billups? shot selection was nothing to write home about, either.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Please. I feel for TT but his family tragedies didnt affect his play. He was lousy before this season and he was lousy this season. He was the same old TT to me except this season he actually had some sort of excuse. Chemistry is more than playing with someone else for a long time. Chemistry cant be taught or explained. You either have it or you dont. The Knicks had chemistry with Van Horn in the line up. As one writer put it the Knicks had "chemistry in spades" but Marbury couldnt see past his own ego and got rid of him and ever since then the team hasnt had any chemisty.</div>
    He was a lousy player ? but it wasn?t 8.5ppg on a 35% shooting. TT never did that in his career and obviously the injuries and his family had an effect. The Knicks had chemistry with Van Horn because Marbury played with him for 3 years in the past so of course they had it. Chemistry is taught by playing with someone for a long time and having a good relationship with the team. Brown will do that and will teach everyone this.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Well after this pathetic season can you blame me? I was probably the most optimistic person here until I woke up. Besides someone has to balance you out. Your optimism is sickening.</div>
    I feel you; I couldn?t stand watching the Knicks last season. I don?t think my optimism is sickening. I do expect the Knicks to make the playoffs next season and it?s not my bias talking; so many fan bases are saying that they think we will make the playoffs next season. We?ve improved so much and yet you still think we?re going to have a similar record to last year? I can?t understand that

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Seven footer just realizing his full potential?? This is the sickeningly optimistic stuff I was talking about. Jerome James does not deserve that contract. He has underachieved his entire life and then in two playoff series against competition who wasnt even 100% he stepped it up during a contract year. That's what is called a 'money run'. I still like the signing because it gives Sweetney a shot to play his normal position and gives him an opportunity to turn into a premier power forward in the East. So considering the Knicks needed a big man in the worst way and considering Isiah doesnt give a damn about the cap it was a decent move.</div>
    But the thing about it is Jerome James admitted he was simply underachieving. He said he wasn?t mature and he?s more motivated which was the reason why he played like that in the regular season. Even if that?s so, can he be really bad to have a 7-1, 270 pound center blocking shots for us? I might also mention he?s playing against the Eastern Conference guys not KG, or Duncan.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You're talking about the draft picks we've acquired and their probably not going to play much except for Frye. Larry Brown is notorius for not playing rookies. To be honest I'm worried about the development of Ariza, Robinson and David Lee. Their probably not going to get much action. The Cavaliers have improved much more than the Knicks did as did the Bucks.</div>
    Considering the Knicks are full of young players, he won?t have much of a choice. With Brown, you?ll have to fight for minutes and Lee is a hustle player who plays solid defense. That?s a Larry-kind-of-guy and he won?t hesitate to play someone like that. Robinson is a good defender despite his size and can hold his own with his 40-inch vertical and strength. He also has a guy who he knows will always go out there and play his hardest. Frye will play because of our center position. Ariza is a second year player and Brown played Tayshaun Prince in his second year. With Ariza?s athleticism, wingspan and defense, he can play a similar role to that of Prince. I?ll give you the Cavaliers improving more than us, but not the Bucks. They re-signed Redd which means they would have the same roster as last year so it?s no biggie. They got Bogut in the draft and they also got Bobby Simmons. The Knicks got 3 rookies who put together, are better than Bogut. They also got size in Jerome James and they also got the best coach in the NBA right now. You don?t just get coaches that go into the Hall of Fame everyday, now.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Wishful thinking. Jerome James isnt that great, the Knicks were just that bad. Pachulia would have probably been a better player to go after. He's pretty big as well, younger, and would have been alot cheaper. The Cavs added a first all team defender in Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall, their going to bring back Big Z, they still have Gooden and of course LeBron. I'm not sure what's going on at the point position but they'll think of something. And the Bucks added Simmons and Bogut to the team their much improved as well. Larry Brown is a good coach but in the end it all comes down to the players and the Knicks just dont have the players to do anything significant. Correction the Knicks have the talent and players they just dont have team.</div>
    James is what we need ? a shot-blocking center and if he truly is motivated and we get the one in the Sacramento series, we would be more than set at center and much better defensively. They got Hughes which was a good move, and Marshall who is good and they also just lost Jeff McInnis today. Larry Brown as you said is a good coach and you need to realize he is one of the best teachers in the game and can help our players become better. You must realize that. Funny thing is after Larry Brown?s coaching in Athens, he had the best year of his career shot at a career high in both FG%, 3P%, and FT% and had the lowest turnovers of his entire career.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">We're not going to do worse. We're going to beat the Raptors in a rat race and become the rulers of the depths of the Atlantic. Although his is one race I'm not sure I want to win.</div>
    I honestly think you?re too pessimistic. If we got a Hall of Fame coach, a legit center in the East, and 3 promising rookies including the development of Sweetney and Ariza, I have to wonder how you can think we?re going to be a bad team.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    NEW YORK, July 28, 2005 -- New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas announced today that Hall-of-Famer Larry Brown has been named the franchise?s 22nd head coach in the team?s 59-year history. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

?This is a great day for the New York Knicks and our fans,? Thomas said. ?Larry Brown is not just one of the best coaches in the NBA today, but in its history. He has made every team he has ever coached a winner, with a legendary approach to teaching and motivating his players. His value to us as a franchise at this time is immeasurable.?

?I want to thank Isiah, Jim Dolan and Steve Mills, as well as all the Knicks fans who have given me their best wishes during this time,? Brown said. ?There is no bigger stage than Madison Square Garden, and it is a privilege for me and my family to now be part of the organization and to be back in New York.? </div>
    Knicks.com