Official Draft Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Draft Preview: Point Guards

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">NEW YORK, NY, June 24, 2005 --What would be the point? Already thriving with the superb Stephon Marbury -- the team?s premiere player and unquestionably one of the best in the NBA at the position -- why would Knicks President, Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas spend one of his trio of valued selections on a quarterback on June 28th?

Point is, it could happen. So let us count the ways:
    # in a league with not enough team-first point guards, you can never have too many team-first point guards
    # the Knicks backup point position could be solidified
    # a talented reserve with a somewhat different type of game could provide the team, with a dangerous change-up
    # Marbury plays far more minutes than anyone else on the Knicks and, in order to stay fresh, could probably use some rest at times
    # Stephon is a sizzling scorer and could be used some at the two guard position, giving the team a different look.

These will be the top point guards available on Tuesday night:</div>
    Knicks.com

2. Knicks Analyst

Knicks Analyst JBB ? Israel ?

MrJ, thanks for that. I just read that article you linked to. And you know who I saw there? Monta Ellis (Isiah's boy). I keep getting this strange feeling that Isiah will not let Ellis go anywhere but New York tonight, and that he'll do anything to get him on the Knicks.

Does that bother anyone else? Because I know that I'm a bit shaky on Monta.

3. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Knicks Analyst:</div><div class="quote_post">MrJ, thanks for that. I just read that article you linked to. And you know who I saw there? Monta Ellis (Isiah's boy). I keep getting this strange feeling that Isiah will not let Ellis go anywhere but New York tonight, and that he'll do anything to get him on the Knicks.

Does that bother anyone else? Because I know that I'm a bit shaky on Monta.</div>
    Yeah, drafting monta would be kinda scary, especcially after his amazing athletic performance finishing 71st out of 75 athletes in the athletic tests.

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWohl:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, drafting monta would be kinda scary, especcially after his amazing athletic performance finishing 71st out of 75 athletes in the athletic tests.</div>
    That's terrible, especially for a guard/tweener. I had that same feeling but now it's going to Andrew Bynum. Don't see what the big deal on Ellis is. He's the next Dajuan Wagner in my book.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Well we increased our chances of grabbing Frye with Utah moving up. This is scary fellas, Toronto is still in front of us.

6. Platehpus

Platehpus JBB JustBBall Member

Please, please everyone pray tonight that we stay far away from lazybones.

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Don't worry, I think we will. Maybe Loren Woods we might draft.

8. Nylex

Nylex JBB JustBBall Member

Soo, Frye is a Knick as expected. I wasn't sure if Isiah was gonna take him, with both him and Green still there at 8. I mean, I know Isiah wanted Frye but I thought with the whole Tracy McGrady thing, there could be a chance he took Green instead. I haven't seen either play, so I don't know anything about them really. Was David Lee a good pick? People on other boards don't seem to like him. I hear how Robinson's a good dunker and all, but will he be a decent player in the NBA?

9. Rider34

Rider34 JBB JustBBall Member

I think Nate Robinson could Help when Marbury is on a bench, he's good shooter and can finish in trafic

10. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

I actually like David Lee. Plays defense, rebounds the ball, can hit the open jumper and is athletic. Reminds me of a Drew Gooden. At #30 it was a nice pick up. But Nate Robinson is a different story. I would have rather had Jarett Jack or Roko Ukic. I dont know what Isiah was thinking but then again I never do. It was a pretty disappointing night. I would have rather had Sean May or Bynum or a host of other players instead of Frye but oh well.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

11. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">I actually like David Lee. Plays defense, rebounds the ball, can hit the open jumper and is athletic. Reminds me of a Drew Gooden. At #30 it was a nice pick up. But Nate Robinson is a different story. I would have rather had Jarett Jack or Roko Ukic. I dont know what Isiah was thinking but then again I never do. It was a pretty disappointing night. I would have rather had Sean May or Bynum or a host of other players instead of Frye but oh well.</div>
    Bynum = the next Eddy Curry at best in my opinion.
    Nate = the best point guard available for the team in my opinion. He'll be more effetive in our system.

12. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.</div>

I offer you Rob Babcock for Isiah Thomas, you can Take Hoffa and Charlie V with babcock as well.

13. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

Bynum = Eddy Curry's offense meets Haywood's defense

Nate Robinson should be on the Jets, not the Knicks.

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting j0se:</div><div class="quote_post">Bynum = Eddy Curry's offense meets Haywood's defense</div>
    And Frye = Vin Bakerin his prime. Who would you rather have? [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Nate Robinson should be on the Jets, not the Knicks.</div>
    Both is fine.

15. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Bynum = the next Eddy Curry at best in my opinion.
    Nate = the best point guard available for the team in my opinion. He'll be more effetive in our system.</div>

Bynum could be the next Shaq. Id have taken a chance on a player that could be one of the most dominant forces in the NBA in a few years. Besides we have Mark Agguire Bynum could have very well been serviceable in two years. Roko Ukic would have been better and Jarett Jack would have been better. No doubt about it. SoI'm guessing we wont be playing any defense in this system of ours.

[quote name='
    I offer you Rob Babcock for Isiah Thomas, you can Take Hoffa and Charlie V with babcock as well.[/QUOTE']

That's a tough one. With Isiah Thomas I'll be getting talented, overpriced, offensive minded players who wouldnt play defense if you put a gun to their heads not to mention tons more salary while still going nowhere. But with Babcock I get a guy who would trade my best player for absolutely nothing, doesnt have the slightest inkling of how to use draft picks and has a funny sounding last name. Throw in Ukic for Robinson and you got yourself a deal.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

16. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">Bynum could be the next Shaq. Id have taken a chance on a player that could be one of the most dominant forces in the NBA in a few years. Besides we have Mark Agguire Bynum could have very well been serviceable in two years. Roko Ukic would have been better and Jarett Jack would have been better. No doubt about it. SoI'm guessing we wont be playing any defense in this system of ours.</div>
    Well if everyone reached their full potential wouldn't that be nice? I also remember Eddy Curry drawing the same Shaq comparisons a few years ago. Desagana Diop was the next Bob Lanier. Bynum isn't even good enough to start in college; let alone the NBA. He is a project and isn't even guaranteed to be good.

Jack and Ukic aren't really tempo changers like Nate Robinson. Actually, when Nate was in college he was a lock-down defender. With his strength and quickness, he can cause trouble defensively despite his height. Either way the Knicks want a more uptempo game and are trying to be the New York Suns if you get my drift.

17. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

If I were the Knicks I would have definitely taken a chance on Andrew Bynum. He is a big seven footer with potential to be the next Shaq. The big question is how much center can Frye play. If we find out that Frye can't be physical enough to play center then New York is stuck with another power forward. If we find out that Frye can't play center then it's a bad pick, if Frye can play center, then good move by Isiah. Whoa haven't said that in a while...

18. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

wow, 17 pages for a draft thread??? Nice work, NY fans!

Well I have to say that I think NY had a nice draft...they addressed the size issue that they so desperately needed, and I would much rather have Frye than Bynum, simply because I think Frye is more polished and will make more of an immediate impact...I'm just not sold on Bynum at all, and the lakers really made a very questionable pick...I think Nate brings some exciting athleticism and playmaking ability, and will be someone who can charge up the team...I'm sure we'll see times where Nate will man the 1 spot so that Stephon can play the 2...that would be a dynamic backcourt...Lee gives NY some nice athleticism and rebounding, but I really dont see him making too much of an impact...hes raw and unpolished, and relies mostly on his athletic ability more so than his bball IQ/skills, and thats never a good sign, IMO...I see him as a fringe player in NY...

Overall, the knicks added some key pieces that are sure to spark interest in the team...I still feel that the trade for Q-Rich was horrible, but thats besides the point...I would love to see the Knicks add another shooter (dont try and sell me on the fact that Richardson is a shooter) and they need some frontcourt depth, although I think yall should give Mo Taylor a chance to see what he can do as a sixth-man type forward...as a 6th man for us, he always gave us around 12 ppg and 5 rpg when healthy, and always shot a nice percentage from the field...hes also a big who has nice range on his shot, and is a great pick-and-roll player...

overall, it was a nice draft for NY...now I wanna see how they attack the free agent market...

19. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

Since when we needed an imediate(did I spell that right?) impact? We're not contending for the playoffs or a title, Isiah has said it clear, we're just beginning slowly.

20. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

I think Jarret Jack and Ukic would have both been better picks in the long term. Nate was expected to go late first round, so it might have been possible for NY to pick him up with the 30th.

Bynum has the potential to be a great player, but he also has the potential to be a Kwame... If Frye actually weighs in at 270, he should be able to have an impact for the knicks even in the 2005-2006 season.

I think that in the best case scenario Granger/Green and Jarret Jack would have been great for the knicks.

Stephon/Jarret
    Crawford/Q-Rich
    Granger/TT/Ariza
    Sweetney/JYD/Taylor/Lee/
    Hole/Malik