Official fire AV thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

There are people called coaches who are responsible for fixing defensive breakdowns during games. Vigneault has no defensive structure or a system in place to prevent them. This shit is gonna continue no matter who you are going to bring in to replace the pylons on this defense.

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Is what it is right now with the personnel for the rest of the year. In an uptempo system you're going to have gap breakdowns. It's more needed to upgrade the D next season rather than a faulty structure. Cant go too crazy about tonight, they got a point against a desperate team.

3. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Too bad they lost in a SO, they were 44-24-0 before tonight. Wanted to see a straight win/loss record

4. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned with the point they got. Sure we want a point here and point there just to officially lock things in, but points aren't the big concern at the moment. Barring BOTH a TOTAL collapse by the Rangers AND a crazy hot run by the Leafs, we are the top WC period. So points aren't a huge concern unless they get 4 or 5 only out of a possible 22 left.

I am however focused on how they play, and truthfully they have been bad their last 10-12 games. Like I said earlier, if I have to hear Sam or Joe or AV or an assistant coach say our complete level needs to be higher, we need to battle harder, we need to win more battles...I will flip out. Team is playing with no emotion or passion for a while now. That is why I hold out hope this flatness is due to knowing the top WC/Atlantic bracket is the place to be, and that we are essentially locked into that position and have been for a while. Game 1 at Montreal we'll be ready to go. That's my hope.

The Stepan and Nash things just anger me. Stepan gets tons of chances but does not finish. That is not great save after great save...sorry %'s don't work that way. At some point it is on Stepan for not finishing, or shooting better, or finding openings to score. Even last night the great save by Reimer was real nice, but if Stepan roofs the puck it's a goal. Perfect example. And we all know his face-offs are a complete disaster. If we/he falls flat in the playoffs, I really hope they trade him before his NTC kicks in this summer.

As for Nash, just tired of seeing a guy with his size and skill not finish more often. And we all know what is coming in the playoffs. He'll tantalize with some nice plays and use his size for some good chances, never score, and end up with 1 goal in 6 or 7 games against the Habs. Rinse and repeat. He'll be the best 7.8 mill per PK guy in the NHL. Happy he will be here for 1 more year max, and this summer into his last contract season, I think he could be dealt if he does nothing/we lose round 1 again.

Give me Miller and Kreider everyday of the week. Those two guys use their size and play a hard game. They are my 2 favorite Ranger forwards by far. And Hayes is close behind...I love how he is playing also.

Bottom line is this. The team will be in the best position for success in the playoffs. They certainly can make a run in the Atlantic, they have been better than those teams all season, but they will need to raise their game big time from what we have seen the past 10-12 games. I hope they can do it...I think they can do it...will they is the question.

5. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt the flatness we've seen lately is due to their situation. These are essentially exhibition games for them. That mentality seeps into every player's head. It's why the teams at the bottom continue to plummet and teams that have clinched the best seed possible take their foot off the gas. We are in a a unique position thanks to the moronic NHL playoff system where we actually are in the best seed possible now, and winning more games would be a worse situation. Then add into the fact we haven't played a real good team in almost 2 weeks. Florida Tampa Carolina Detroit Florida Tampa in meaningless games...yawn.

So my concern is not really that they look flat at times now, but that they are going to go into the playoffs without having played a meaningful game in about 2 months. Even if they were out they're flying every night it would concern me because that is not easy to do. The good thing we have going for this group is that almost all of them have extensive playoff experience. They aren't going in cold not realizing how the game changes. Let's hope the coaching staff has them ready, and the players respond accordingly.

And I also don't think it's been all time time. The third period last night was great. The Tampa game last week was great. They have it in them still, but given their situation I'm not surprised we don't see it more often right now. But they can't let this type of play carry over.

6. RangersFan

I would say it has been 80% of the time the past 10-12 games. I also don't have near your confidence that it's mainly "meaningless games" right now, and the bigger concern is can they turn the game and passion back on in the playoffs.

I have seen way too much of this team struggling with possession #'s, and winning face-offs, and leaving guys WIDE OPEN in front for a couple of years now to think it is mainly the stuff you mentioned.

I absolutely agree that plays a role here as I mentioned as well, but I don't think it is the main driver. If it was I would feel pretty confident based on the experience here we'd be okay game 1 at Montreal.

I have never been an anti coach guy, but the structure in their own zone is so lacking that it really perplexes me and makes me wonder what kind of coaching and practice we do. We have guys skating around in no mans land very often. It isn't good. And as usual as the games get big we struggle to finish and score.

With that all said, I do still believe in this team in the Atlantic bracket. I just feel they need to get their game together and tighten up in their own zone. If you look at their D with Girardi back in a game or 2, it is not a bad D.

Staal/McD
    Smith/G
    Skjei/Holden

That is not a bad D (I really like what Smith has added). Add Klein into the conversation in 5 or 6 games hopefully and we have good depth also. That should be a solid D, but the lack of structure and discipline really makes me scratch my head. I don't understand why we are so loose in our own zone. That's why I question coaching. Are they really pounding the importance of D and structure, or do they play lip service to it, and then focus on O and breakouts and go go go, which is what AV likes. That's my concern. I see way too often quick passing results in an open net goal against the Rangers. Or guys all alone in front. And the PK has been a disaster for a while as well.

To me # 1 is we need to improve in our own zone. If we do that things will fall into place. But until I see it that remains a big concern as we head into Montreal. Second would be our usual struggles to score in big games/tight spots.

Big picture I do think we agree 223. I just think some of the concerns are rooted in bigger things than playing meaningless games the past few weeks. But at days end I do know they have the talent to win the Atlantic bracket.

7. Ranger71

We get what we get with Nash but i do think he's been pretty good overall this year. Comes down to scoring more in the playoffs once again. Maybe they get a mid 2nd and prospect if they deal him but i have a feeling they ride his last year out. Stepan for all of his 50 pt seasons is just so slooooow moving. Think it's gonna be a bit of a challenge to move that contract.

8. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Nash needs to be traded in the offseason. Either his best days are behind him or he needs a change of scenery

9. Ranger71

That goal right there is a perfect example of the breakdowns. No need for McDonagh to be going towards the boards while Eric Staal sits in front.

10. RangersFan

Agree 100%. What I was saying earlier today. 3 guys going towards the puck in the corner, meanwhile Staal has no one within 5' of him in the crease, easy goal.

Until things like that stop I think it will always be a struggle for this team. Structure in their own zone has been real bad the past 2 seasons. That's why I wonder is it coaching or not. I don't have the answer, but it's a huge issue.

11. Ranger71

If you can't trust your teammates to cover 1 to 1 on the boards then there's a problem. I think it's just unawareness or dumb decisions more than system.

12. RangersFan

I don't think the system is the issue (yes it is a go system but I don't think the system says leave the crease wide open fairly often), I think the attention to detail and pounding that attention home by the coaches is the potential issue (speculation). I feel that way because it has been the same thing for 2 years now.

With that said, very good road period though outside of that one play. If this darn team would tighten up in their own zone they would be so dangerous. Stay on the guys in front...please, then we'll be in a good spot.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  13. Ranger71

I think they panic a little when the puck isn't dug out instead of just letting it play out. Especially a big no-no on the pk.

14. RangersFan

One period left, but it is amazing how much better this team is on the road than at home. Their game is so much better and simpler on the road. Outside of that one breakdown they have really played a very strong road game against a very good team. Finish it off with a strong 3rd.

15. Ranger71

Maybe they should padlock MSG. God knows the Knicks don't deserve to playing there. Just hold concerts.lol

16. RangersFan

Road ice advantage. Played a very strong road game.

And after Montreal's win over Ottawa tonight, VERY strong chance we'll play Montreal in round 1. That certainly won't be an easy series. I like the team they have put together, and I really like what Montreal did at the trade DL. They have some good grit, they have some decent scoring skill, they have that tough building up there, and of course they have Price in goal. Adding Weber for Subban has been real good for that team as well.

Today I would make the Habs a small favorite, but it certainly is a series we can win. I would guess the usual 6 or 7 game series. But we'll need to play really well to beat them I believe. I like their talent. But if we play our game, and roll our depth at them in waves, we'll have a decent chance to win the series.

17. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yup, take the playoff show on the road. As for the Knicks it's so bad that in the last fifteen years they have only won more than 40 games twice. That's just absurd. Under .500 for 13 of the last 15 years.

18. Ranger71

The White Plains Knicks, has a nice ring to it.

19. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Sadly, thickhead AV refused to bring up Graves. I honestly think the only way this team would have had a chance in the playoffs is if he brought Graves up 30 games ago and went with McDonagh, Smith, Skjei, Holden, Staal and Graves in the playoffs. Graves and Klein flat out suck. Especially against high scoring, speed teams.

20. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Unless Sather takes a job with another team there's no way Nash is moving next year so one more year of pricy intangibles lies ahead. I think the prevailing attitude among the Rangers is that they can coast in the first and second then turn it on in the third and win the game. I think this team is stronger than last year's. Still weak on defense but until Staal and Girardi are gone that will always be the case.