Official game thread: Raptors VS Celtics

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Premium, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

I like Garbajosa's 3 pt shooting so far.
    Fred Jones with 7 assists!
    I want to see these games on tv [​IMG].

2. Drunkballer

Drunkballer JBB JustBBall Member

what is the disputed point? that he is not lightning quick? from what i watched he looked lightning quick out there. In no way was i justifying the turnovers though. Just saying that ford has the ability to penetrate and its just matter of making the right decision once he gets in the lane. Also i think in my first post when i said "he was out of control on his drives" i said essentially the same thing as you.

3. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

That no-look pass from Calderon to Bosh was beautiful. Just saw it on the highlights.

Just some questions I have for the people who were able to watch the game:

-Was Rasho able to keep up with the tempo? It says that he only played for 11 mins.

-Has Calderon's shooting improved?

-How did the Raps perform in set plays? That was one of Mitchell's biggest weaknesses last season.

Thanks.

4. Drunkballer

Deception:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">this is a widely disputed point- many people believe including chad ford that he isn't nowhere close to as fast as he was in his rookie season. i kinda sensed that tonight, he would pass the first defender, then suddenly get a case of stage fright and turnover the ball with a pass or charging foul. moreover, he just can't finish with his left.
    </div>

what is the disputed point? that he is not lightning quick? from what i watched he looked lightning quick out there. In no way was i justifying the turnovers though. Just saying that ford has the ability to penetrate and its just matter of making the right decision once he gets in the lane. Also i think in my first post when i said "he was out of control on his drives" i said essentially the same thing as you.

5. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That no-look pass from Calderon to Bosh was beautiful. Just saw it on the highlights.

Just some questions I have for the people who were able to watch the game:

-Was Rasho able to keep up with the tempo? It says that he only played for 11 mins.

-Has Calderon's shooting improved?

-How did the Raps perform in set plays? That was one of Mitchell's biggest weaknesses last season.

Thanks.</div>

rasho-they didn't push the ball at all with tj and rasho didn't get a chance to play with caledron

caledron- he made some shots, he didn't look confident but he got most of his points of pick and roll or beating a tardy defender like rondo to the basket. fyi- the celtic broadcast team were in love with caledron.

set plays- they tried some in the first quarter (backdoors, bosh-rasho hi low's) and turned the ball over, they resorted to pick and roll in the crucial minutes of the game

<div class="quote_poster">Drunkballer Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">what is the disputed point? that he is not lightning quick? from what i watched he looked lightning quick out there. In no way was i justifying the turnovers though. Just saying that ford has the ability to penetrate and its just matter of making the right decision once he gets in the lane. Also i think in my first post when i said "he was out of control on his drives" i said essentially the same thing as you.</div>

lighting quick compared to u and i. do u honestly think hes quicker than telfair or rondo? remember some people in the raptor brass touted him as the quickest guard in the league. btw, i never noticed how tiny he was before the game, hes listed at six foot but he looked more 5'8 and 140.

6. dunksworth

dunksworth JBB JustBBall Member

Observations:

- Rondo is a stud... great pick by the C's
    - Calderon played with a ton of confidence and will challenge Ford for the starting spot. Not surprisingly, him and Garbajosa have amazing chemistry.
    - Ford was terrible.... I love his unselfish mentality though...
    - Bosh had the most silent 22 points ever.... it's a very good sign that he can put up those numbers without being the centre of attention
    - Parker struggled..... hopefully he'll find his place with this team
    - Garbajosa was the man tonight imo. Great long range shot, hustles, high bball iq.... the guy proved he belongs in this league.
    - Bargnani struggled w/ his shot but still managed to show what he's capable of. He showed his good footwork from inside, wasn't scared to take shots, and make some great drives to the bucket (although he had problems finishing sometimes). His 4-13 shooting night looks bad on paper, but I was still impressed by the things I saw tonight.

All in all, I'm excited for the season. The team seems to have gelled a lot quicker than I expected. The only real disappointment was Ford, but hopefully he can pick things up soon...

7. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

You think there's a legitimate possibility that Garbajosa becomes ROY?

8. deception

<div class="quote_poster">dunksworth Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Observations:
    All in all, I'm excited for the season. The team seems to have gelled a lot quicker than I expected. The only real disappointment was Ford, but hopefully he can pick things up soon...</div>

yeah but the raptors go as far as ford will take them- remember colangelo built his entire team around a pg.

9. Drunkballer

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">lighting quick compared to u and i. do u honestly think hes quicker than telfair or rondo? remember some people in the raptor brass touted him as the quickest guard in the league. btw, i never noticed how tiny he was before the game, hes listed at six foot but he looked more 5'8 and 140.</div>

I would say he is the quickest gaurd I have seen in recent raptors history. Faster than rafer.

10. deception

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You think there's a legitimate possibility that Garbajosa becomes ROY?</div>
    have u been following the thread? its rajon rondo

<div class="quote_poster">Drunkballer Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I would say he is the quickest gaurd I have seen in recent raptors history. Faster than rafer.</div>

i think people underestimated mike james' quickness because he was a big guard.

11. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting deception:</div><div class="quote_post">have u been following the thread? its rajon rondo</div>
    Well, that's one preseason game. And he's going to be competing for minutes with Delonte West and Sebastian Telfair. But, yea he'll most likely be a contender too. It just struck me, though, that Jorge could be a 28-year old contender for ROY. Reminds me of Hideki Matsui in the MLB.

12. Drunkballer

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">i think people underestimated mike james' quickness because he was a big guard.</div>

k well the point is mute. I think tj ford is an elite pg in terms of quickness you see him as more middle of the pack. As for james he was quick but the fact that he could light it from downtown eg. men in his face all the time might have made him seem quicker. If you watch t.j ford they sag off him (cause he can't shoot) yet he still blows by him.

* lets just hope when he goes by them he can figure out what to do.

13. dunksworth

dunksworth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You think there's a legitimate possibility that Garbajosa becomes ROY?</div>
    He's nothing more than a great role player, so unfortunately no. But I'm not complaining though.... He could probably be the league's most underrated off-season acquisition.

btw, forgot to mention something very important:
    Bosh was sporting a nice spiffy hairdo!

14. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

i think watching garbs and bargs play i can see why colangelo thought that villanueva was expendable.

im so glad we got rid of bonner...id MUCH rather have garbs playing his minutes instead. way better overall player. he really goes after it out there, and can hit shots too. those back to back 3 balls in overtime really sealed my love for him. id like to see a little more rebounding from him though. rebounding still seems to be an issue.

garbs for ROY!! lol

15. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Garbajosa was truly amazing. It seemed like he was always in the right spot and defensively, he wasn't too shabby either. Ten times the player Bonner was.

Also, I was rotating between this game and Lost last night, and what I observed was that Rasho was slow. While the Raps weren't pushing it that much, Boston was gunning all along and Rasho was very late on guarding the fast break. There were a few times when he should have gotten a blocked shot on the break but was late. Left no doubt that had it been Bosh or even Loren Woods, there would've been a blocked shot.

16. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

Wow, i'm so dumb, I just noticed that our Raptor logo is changed to a black claw.

17. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">hustler Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wow, i'm so dumb, I just noticed that our Raptor logo is changed to a black claw.</div>

ya man they shoulda made it red

18. Iggy

Iggy Iggy

A black claw with red trim would look nice too.

19. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

whatever it is or should be, its a lot better then the big purple dinosaur lol

personally i like the black though

20. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Premium Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">whatever it is or should be, its a lot better then the big purple dinosaur lol

personally i like the black though</div>

I dunno the black just seems out of place. It looks more like a practice gym when its black.