Official Jazz Lottery and Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Stockton, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Lottery

Team Record Chances

1. Atlanta 13-69 250
    2. New Orleans 18-64 178
    3. Charlotte 18-64 177
    4. Utah 26-56 119
    5. Portland 27-55 88
    6. Milwaukee 30-52 63
    7. Toronto 33-49 36
    8. New York 33-49 35
    9. Golden State 34-48 14
    10. L.A. Lakers 34-48 14
    11. Orlando 36-46 8
    12. L.A. Clippers 37-45 7
    13. Charlotte (via Cleveland) 42-40 6
    14. Minnesota 44-38 5

Draft

First Round

6. Utah

27. Utah Jazz (via Dallas)

Second Round

34. Utah

51. Utah (via Chicago)

60. Utah (via Phoenix) (Utah have since traded this pick)

- NBADraft.net

Important Dates

Draft Lottery: May 24th
    NBA Draft: June 28th

Mock Drafts

JBB Mock Draft (V3)
    http://www.nbadraft.net/index.asp
    http://www.draftcity.com/mock.php?y=2005

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I think the Jazz will go for a point guard, but this all depends on what Jerry Sloan will do. Raymond Felton or Deron Williams seem like the best bets. I don't think Chris Paul will be available since he's considered a top 3 pick.

3. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

Important Dates

Draft Lottery: May 24th
    NBA Draft: June 28th

My two favorite days of the year besides basketball playoffs and X-mas. [​IMG]

Let's just hope Utah pulls a #2 and take Paul or #4 and take Deron Williams.
    Or we can sign for a point guard, who's free this year?

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting KS1:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Let's just hope Utah pulls a #2 and take Paul or #4 and take Deron Williams.
    Or we can sign for a point guard, who's free this year?</div>
    Not much. Steve Blake, Antonio Daniels, Tyronn Lue, Brevin Knight, Damon Stoudamire, etc.

Knight might definitely work, but there's a bunch of teams probably looking for him. Steve Blake looks solid, although he is rather weak for his size. Lue and Stoudamire would probably not work in a Jazz halfcourt set.

5. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Utah need to draft a Point Guard with their first pick. Their most productive Point Guard last season was Keith McLeod, who would be a benchwarmer on most other teams. Howard Eisley, Randy Livingston and Keith McLeod are all Free Agents. Raul Lopez is the only Point Guard under contract next season for Utah, and Utah don't have much cap space. Raul Lopez has an injury history as well [​IMG] .

6. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Stockton:</div><div class="quote_post">Utah need to draft a Point Guard with their first pick. Their most productive Point Guard last season was Keith McLeod, who would be a benchwarmer on most other teams. Howard Eisley, Randy Livingston and Keith McLeod are all Free Agents. Raul Lopez is the only Point Guard under contract next season for Utah, and Utah don't have much cap space. Raul Lopez has an injury history as well [​IMG] .</div>

Out of the 4 big name point guards in the draft (Chris Paul, Raymond Felton, Jarret Jack, and Deron Williams), who do you think will make the biggest impact for Utah?

7. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

The biggest impact? To be honest, if Jerry Sloan returns or another coach with a similar offensive system stays, almost any of them would be great. Paul is the best at what he does, although he actually might be limited in the Utah system. All of them are pass-first point guards except for maybe Paul, who's offensive game gives him the ability to choose either. Here's my take on how each plays:

Chris Paul
    He's the consensus top point guard for a reason. He has everything that a point guard needs: Flies down the floor, understands how to run a team, effective at breaking down the defense in half court or in transition, great hands to help on defense/steals and handles/ball control, can easily cut down the lane with his great first step or shoot it up to 3 point range, great body control and mentally tough, all still only 20 years old. A little light, but AI is about the same size and he hasn't had any problems getting banged around a bit and still producing.

Raymond Felton
    Felton is fast and quick, a great passer and ball handler with incredible court vision and inherent decision making skills, great defensively. While he's bigger than Paul, better defensively at this point, and more creative when it comes to dishing the rock, he's not close in his ability to score. He's got an ok midrange shot, and he can finish in the paint with big dunks, but he doesn't break down defenses despite his speed, making him less able to change the tempo of the game alone, and he's a spot up shooter which limits his game.

Deron Williams
    Williams is tough, big, and smart. Plays under extreme control, limiting turnovers and getting the ball to the right man with excellent passing. While not fast nor quick for a point guard, he has great handles which along with his strength, help him drive into lanes and be a good defender, although he won't consistently blow by too many NBA caliber defenders. Not a big risk taker but he knows how to keep in front of his man on defense. He would probably flourish in half-court sets, especially due to his outstanding basketball IQ and passing skills. Good shooter especially from mid-range; NBA 3 point range might take a bit of practice.

Jarret Jack
    Another big but slower point guard, like Williams, and the oldest of the bunch. Jack is Chris Duhon's cousin, and the family resemblance does show up in his play a bit. Excellent defensively, not afraid of contact or taking the charge, has a good feel for disrupting opposing offensive sets, good rebounder for his size. Above-average passer & above-average court vision, good shooter who improved a lot last season, as long as his feet are set. Much like Williams, runs great in half-court sets.

8. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting :</div><div class="quote_post">Out of the 4 big name point guards in the draft (Chris Paul, Raymond Felton, Jarret Jack, and Deron Williams), who do you think will make the biggest impact for Utah?</div>

Either Deron Williams or Chris Paul, depending on how well they would fit in with the Jazz. If both are available, the Jazz should be taking Chris Paul.

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Jazz to Start Working Out Potential Draftees

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">With five picks in this summer's NBA draft, the Jazz have an enormous pool of potential draftees to consider before June 28.
    They will begin whittling down the candidates starting in about 10 days, when the first few eligible players visit Salt Lake to work out for Kevin O'Connor and his scouting staff. The Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations has tentatively scheduled the first workout for May 18.
    "We'll prepare the same way we always have," said O'Connor, who will exercise the Jazz's highest draft pick since 1982. That pick, anywhere from No. 1 to 7, will be determined at the draft lottery May 24. "We might have a few more workouts this year, since we have picks at one end of the draft and at the other end. So our range is broader."
    In addition to the lottery pick, the Jazz own No. 27 in the first round, and Nos. 34, 51 and 60 in the second round.
    O'Connor said the team has not finalized which players will be in Utah next week, though they will all be college seniors. Underclassmen are not allowed to try out for teams until later in the month. Given that few seniors are among the top-rated players in the draft, those players likely will be potential second-rounders.
    The Jazz could know about coach Jerry Sloan's intentions for next season by the time workouts begin, too. O'Connor said Sloan, who normally joins in the evaluation of potential draftees, will probably take part if he decides to return to the bench next season. But the coach has made any decision known yet, O'Connor added. </div>

Source

10. Stockton

Stockton JBB

11. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Jazz to get glimpse of prospects

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Utah Jazz, who own two first-round picks in the NBA draft on June 28, will begin working out prospects today and Thursday at the team's practice facility.
    According to vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor, UNC-Charlotte's Eddie Basden, UNC-Greensboro's Josh Gross, North Carolina State's Julius Hodge and Utah Valley State's Ronnie Price will participate today.
    On Thursday, the Jazz will work out Sharrod Ford of Clemson, Ryan Gomes of Providence, Jason Maxwell of Cincinnati and Dijon Thompson of UCLA. </div>

<div align="center">Link</div>

12. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">A local college product will work out today for the Jazz.
    And, no, it's not Andrew Bogut.
    Rather, Utah Valley State College product Ronnie Price is among four NBA Draft hopefuls scheduled to audition for Jazz brass this morning.
    Price, a 6-foot-2 guard from Texas, averaged 24.3 points per game while the Wolverines were playing a full NCAA Division I schedule this past season.
    He will be joined today by the University of North Carolina at Charlotte's Eddie Basden, a 6-foot-5 swingman who was Conference USA's Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year; North Carolina State's Julius Hodge, a 6-7 swingman who was the Atlantic Coast Conference's Player of the Year two seasons ago; and Josh Gross, a 6-5 small forward from UNC-Greensboro.
    All four are seniors.
    Another group of four seniors are scheduled to work out for the Jazz on Thursday morning: 6-7 Providence small forward Ryan Gomes, 6-9 Clemson power forward Sharrod Ford, 6-7 Cincinnati power forward Jason Maxiell and 6-8 UCLA swingman Dijon Thompson.
    Hodge and Gomes are projected by multiple Internet sites as potential late first-round draft choices, but the others ? including Price, who started his career at Nicholls (La.) State before transferring to UVSC ? are considered by most draft prognosticators to be second-round hopefuls at best.</div>

Source

Any insight on this kid? I've never seen him play and this is actually the first I've heard of him.

13. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Any insight on this kid? I've never seen him play and this is actually the first I've heard of him.</div>

Never heard much about this kid, I mean yeah I kno it's Utah, and all we basically got is college sports. But this year, it's all been about the Alex Smith and Andrew Boguet. I neva heard anything about this kid. I heard more about guy preps than bout him. (Yeah, Brandon Bell is going to Oklahoma, I think?)

They're working these guys today right? I can't wait to see what they think of Ryan Gomes. :jumping:

14. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Gomes Update

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Utah Jazz would seem to already have several 6-foot-7 "tweener" type of players, guys who can slide between big guard and small forward or the three and four spots, but they worked out three more such hopefuls plus a 6-9 Sharrod Ford on Thursday at the Zion's Bank Basketball Center.
    All four just finished their senior seasons in college, just like the four who worked out on Wednesday for the Jazz, who have five picks in the June 28 NBA Draft.
    The Jazz will participate Tuesday in the NBA Draft Lottery to determine the order of their picks and those of other teams who didn't fare well the past season.
    Whether 6-7 Ryan Gomes of Providence is someone the Jazz will actually pick probably wasn't answered fully in Thursday's workout, but Gomes apparently made a pretty good impression on the Jazz staff and coach Jerry Sloan.
    </div>

<div align="center">Source</div>

15. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><u>Ronnie Price</u>

Utah Valley State College, 6-2 Guard, Friendswood, Texas

Ronnie is one of the most honored players to come out of the Orem, UT school. He finished third in the nation this past year in scoring, averaging 24.3 points a game, and was named the NCAA Division-I Independents Player of the Year.

On his workout: ?I knew it?d be intense, and fun. I had a great time and enjoyed myself. It was all that I expected.?

<u>Kevin O'Connor on Ronnie:</u>

"We've been able to see him play several times, and we're comfortable with him. His position is probably going to be point guard in the NBA. We like him because he's a competitor and because of his attitude." </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><u>Julius Hodge</u>

North Carolina State, 6-7 Guard/Forward, Harlem, NY

Julius was the 2004 ACC Player of the Year, as well as being First-Team All-ACC twice (2003,2004). He led the Wolfpack to a remarkable run to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen that included a win over defending champion Connecticut. He averaged 17 points, 6.6 rebounds and 4.8 assists his senior season. On what he brings to the table: ?I bring great intensity. I?m going to continue being the hardest worker I could possibly be. I?m going to try and reach my potential in this league. Whatever I do, I?m going to just try and be a winner. Every level of basketball I?ve won, and I?m going to try and bring that to wherever I get drafted.?

<u>Kevin O'Connor on Julius:</u>
    "Julius probably played 135 games in his college career, so we've seen his level of maturity." </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><u>Josh Gross</u>

UNC-Greensboro, 6-6 Forward, Columbia, MD

Josh was a pivotal player for the Spartans the last three years, playing with a hustling mentality that is getting his potential noticed in the NBA. Playing over 25 minutes a game this past year, he averaged 9.7 points and 5.4 rebounds.

<u>Kevin O'Connor on Josh:</u>
    "Josh Gross is a phenomonal athlete." </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><u>Eddie Basden</u>

Charlotte, 6-5 Forward, Washington D.C.

Eddie was one of the best players in Conference USA the last few seasons, being named the Defensive Player of the Year in 2004 after being nominated twice. He is among the most versatile players in college hoops, Basden is known for his sensational dunks. During his senior year he played over 36 minutes a game while throwing in 15.2 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 3.2 steals a game. </div>

Source

With three picks in the second round I can see the Jazz landing most of these players. I'm not sure if other teams are working out Price, so the Jazz should be able to draft the local talent with the last pick in the draft.

I think Eddie Basden would be a perfect replacement for Raja Bell, if the Jazz cannot re-sign him. He doesn't have the range Bell has, but he can develop it as he matures in the league. He is a little thicker than Bell which will benefit him guarding the bigger swing players in the league, and he's a tad more athletic than Bell.

I can also see Jerry Sloan going head over heels for Julius Hodge. He doesn't have the flash or the freakish athletic body, but Hodge can flat out play and competes well in the underdog role. In the tourney he out hustled everyone on the court and helped lead his team to an upset over the more talented UCONN team, which consisted of Rudy Gay, Josh Boone, and Charlie Villanueva.

16. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post"> Source

With three picks in the second round I can see the Jazz landing most of these players. I'm not sure if other teams are working out Price, so the Jazz should be able to draft the local talent with the last pick in the draft.

I think Eddie Basden would be a perfect replacement for Raja Bell, if the Jazz cannot re-sign him. He doesn't have the range Bell has, but he can develop it as he matures in the league. He is a little thicker than Bell which will benefit him guarding the bigger swing players in the league, and he's a tad more athletic than Bell.

I can also see Jerry Sloan going head over heels for Julius Hodge. He doesn't have the flash or the freakish athletic body, but Hodge can flat out play and competes well in the underdog role. In the tourney he out hustled everyone on the court and helped lead his team to an upset over the more talented UCONN team, which consisted of Rudy Gay, Josh Boone, and Charlie Villanueva.</div>

I saw Basden play on ESPN a lot. He was the best player UNCC had. Plavich was their 3-point shooter, so he didn't really have to shoot 3's.

Then i watch Hodge all his career, he was projected a top-20 pick last year. Then he went back last year, and he was underrated because of his team around him, but in some game he was unstoppable and could stop any one. Plus he played in a Princeton offense, that is a good half court system.

Then i saw Jordan Gross play in two games on ESPN this year and he was outstanding. He just walked up a couple times and just shot a 3 and drained them. His stats that he has can decieve the eye, cause this guy has talent, but couldn't put up the stats all year. He came off the bench too though.

Where can you find out the people that Utah are going to have Work-outs for? Also when can they have Work-outs for Underclassmen?

17. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting :</div><div class="quote_post">
    Where can you find out the people that Utah are going to have Work-outs for? Also when can they have Work-outs for Underclassmen?</div>

Workouts

This site has a list of recent workouts for different teams, including Utah.

18. J_Ray

Let's revive this draft thread!!! LOL

19. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Good idea [​IMG] .

If the Jazz do make a trade with Portland, by trading the 6th pick and fillers to Portland for their 3rd pick, what Point Guard would be the better pick for the Jazz if both Chris Paul and Deron Williams are still available with the third pick?

20. J_Ray

Deron Williams is the better pick because he could be a Andre Miller type player. Paul is just a scorer that won't fit into Sloan's system. I would get rid of Giricek instead of Snyder. Snyder might have had problems last year, but that was only his rookie season. He can become a good scorer off the bench. Giricek being paid too much too. Then if we can get Raja Bell back, then draft a Matt Walsh or someone like that, we can be back in the hunt for the division.

Also, who should we get with out 27th and 34th pick, I been reading some other Utah Jazz forums and they think we should get Turiaf and Salim Stoudamire. I agree with Turiaf, but Salim is an undersized 2 guard. Salim might be good because he can play good D and Sloan can put a small line-up out like he did with MO Williams and Raul Lopez 2 years ago, that work effectively in the 4th quarter.

Stockton, did you agree with my picks in my mock draft for Utah:
    Deron Williams PG
    Ronny Turiaf PF
    Matt Walsh SG/SF
    Marcelo Huertas PG

Good Article by the way Stockton. [​IMG]