Official Jazz Lottery and Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Stockton, Apr 23, 2005.

1. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

When did we get the pick from Chicago anyways? I don't remember any trade or anything that we got this years 51st pick from, can anyone tell me plz?

2. Stockton

Stockton JBB

I agree with Deron Williams, if he is available here then he should be a great pick for Utah.
    With Ronny Turiaf, I can only see Utah doing this if they intended on playing him at C? They have Humphries and Boozer at PF.
    If Utah drafted Matt Walsh, someone would probably then have to be on the way out at SG. Utah has Kirk Snyder, Raja Bell and Gordan Giricek at SG. Bell is a FA, but Utah wants to keep him. Utah could do with some more shooters though.
    With the 51st pick Utah should be going for someone who can stay overseas, and that could be Marcelo Huertas.

Good mock [​IMG] .

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Utah receives 2 future Chicago second-round picks in 2005 and 2006 (John Amaechi trade 093003). via Houston (Bryce Drew trade </div>

3. J_Ray

Man no one else come to the Jazz's thing, so I guess this discussion revolves around us.

Who do Utah Jazz go to in free agency if they can't get the point guard of the future in the lottery? Stockton should know because he's the smartest Jazz fan here.

4. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Deron Williams to New Orleans?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Sources have indicated that the New Orleans Hornets have a promise to take star Illinois point guard Deron Williams with the 4th pick. Williams is widely considered a top 5 pick among scouts, and while it's unlikely he'll go top 3, look for him to end up 4th.

The Hornets were said to originally be high on Gerald Green and may have even told him they were planning to take him 4, however in the past week things seem to have changed. It's not clear if Green's agent's (Andrew Vye) decision to work him out individually was the cause, but after trading away their franchise point guard, Baron Davis toward the end of the season, the Hornets find themselves in a position to add a quality PG with either Chris Paul or Deron Williams, whichever of the two falls to them.</div>

<div align="center">Link</div>

Thanks for the compliment J_Ray [​IMG]. The Jazz are said to be interested in Earl Watson. What the Jazz do with Raja Bell in the offseason should effect what Point Guard they can sign. Also if they make a trade.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Free agents Earl Watson, whom the Jazz like if they can't draft a point guard, and Stromile Swift will leave because Heisley is talking openly about cost cutting with huge losses for a bloated payroll.</div>

<div align="center">Link</div>

5. J_Ray

I saw that article, that's why we need to trade up to the Blazers' pick, we need to use that 34th pick and the 6th to trade for the 3rd pick.
    Watson, Knight, and Daniels are the point guards most likely we will go after in free agency. I really like Dan Dickau because he started to break out last year when he got more playing time in New Orleans.

6. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

I still don't think that the Jazz should use the #6 pick on Raymond Felton. They basically have two options.
    1. Trade up and draft either Chris Paul or Deron Williams.
    2. Trade down for and draft Raymond Felton and Jarret Jack

And finally, since Raul Lopez might not be staying, resign Keith McCleod

7. J_Ray

What's wrong with Felton? He is just as good as any of the top point guards in the draft. I think he's better than Paul, Paul is just overrated!!!

8. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">What's wrong with Felton? He is just as good as any of the top point guards in the draft. I think he's better than Paul, Paul is just overrated!!!</div>

I don't think he's that high, I know he's a good point guard. But if we can trade down for the 12th pick and trade up for the 20th pick. Then we can get both Raymond Felton-who's a speedier player, better scorer
    Jarret Jack-stronger player, steady player
    Know what I'm saying? Instead of one high pick, we can get two.

I'm still in love with Paul, I'm big on Jarret Jack too. Deron Williams I'm not sure about. And Felton did amazing throughout the seasons.

9. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Utah badly needs to get a Point Guard in the draft. They could keep the 6th pick and draft the best Point Guard available there, or make a trade. If they make a trade, they should be trading up. By trading up they will increase their chances of getting who they want in the draft, and may get a player they otherwise wouldn't have got. If they trade down, they risk missing out on which PG they want, which would really hurt Utah.