Official JBB 2005 NBA Mock Draft Rnd 1 (v2.0)

Discussion in 'JBB Mock Draft 2005 - 2007' started by Shapecity, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

It's difficult to gage Taft's numbers. Assuming the Knicks draft him, he's going to have to fight for Kurt Thomas and Mike Sweetney's minutes, plus Malik Rose, Mo Taylor, and JYD. The Knicks can afford to break Taft in slowly. The biggest impact he gives the Knicks is a post presence, even if he only averages 7.0PPG and 5.0RPG, he will make it easier for the perimeter players on the Knicks, and he gives them a solid shotblocker inside.

The Knicks are closer to the playoffs, than to rebuilding, so you're just not going to see any player they draft come in and put up crazy numbers.

The Gerald Green bandwagon sure is filling up fast. Everyone is so impressed with his McDonald's Game performance. Players simply don't play any defense in those games. One of the most impressive performances in recent years was Dajuan Wagner, another person who stole the show was Deshawn Stevenson. These players benefitted from hype, but neither has lived up to their 'potential.'

In the back of your mind you have to remember Gerald Green isn't even ranked the best amongst his peers. MrJ18, if you are impressed with Gerald Green's offense and 'flash' why are you wondering about Monta Ellis being picked at #30? Monta Ellis is a better scorer than Gerald Green, he's also a better playmaker and is nationally ranked higher than Gerald Green. Monta Ellis is ranked #2 in the nation for highschool prospects and averaged 40.4PPG. Which leads us to #1, Louis Williams, who's also considered better than Gerald Green. Unfortunately, he's a tweener, so scouts have him all over the board and he might have to prove to them he can play PG by going to college for a year or 2.

As for your comparison to Amare, neither are or were sleepers. In fact, Jerry West was ready to take him at #4, but never got a chance to work him out. He had to go with his scouts decision, and they recommended the conservative route by taking Drew Gooden. Jerry West then made it a point to his scouts (probably not in the best interest of the Grizzlies) to trade Gooden for Mike Miller. He was irrate they didn't recommend Amare over Gooden. What scared everyone away from Amare was his attitude and his criminal record. No one questioned his talent and he also refused to workout for the Warriors and few other teams in the lottery.

2. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">IF he lives up to his potential and gets the proper playing time I can see him averaging 15 points 8 boards and 1 block. Against weak Eastern conference bigs it would not be totally far fetched to see him average even more. Rookie of the year numbers in some cases.</div>

I see Taft putting up 10 points 7 rebounds and 1 block in his first year given a consistent 20 minutes per game season. However i think on several teams he could start the second half the year and given 25-30 minutes, 15-8-1 isnt far fetched. I think the 15 points will be far harder for him to get than the 8 boards, or the block. He could be a 18-10 2 blocks guy his career if all goes well, maybe more.

3. RiverspoonJones

RiverspoonJones JBB Sonic Death Monkey

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">The Gerald Green bandwagon sure is filling up fast. Everyone is so impressed with his McDonald's Game performance. Players simply don't play any defense in those games.</div>

Hardly. DraftCity praised the players for playing it like an actual game.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">In the back of your mind you have to remember Gerald Green isn't even ranked the best amongst his peers. MrJ18, if you are impressed with Gerald Green's offense and 'flash' why are you wondering about Monta Ellis being picked at #30? Monta Ellis is a better scorer than Gerald Green, he's also a better playmaker and is nationally ranked higher than Gerald Green. Monta Ellis is ranked #2 in the nation for highschool prospects and averaged 40.4PPG. Which leads us to #1, Louis Williams, who's also considered better than Gerald Green. Unfortunately, he's a tweener, so scouts have him all over the board and he might have to prove to them he can play PG by going to college for a year or 2.</div>

Those are high school player rankings not NBA propsect rankings. Green has been #1 in that regard for some time, and showed why he was at the McDonald's All-America Game. You talked about Dajuan Wagner. There is a reason he didn't succeed and that will be the same reason Ellis and Williams don't. SGs barely over '6"0. That is why they aren't on the lottery radar. If they're smart they'll pull out.

4. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting RiverspoonJones:</div><div class="quote_post">Hardly. DraftCity praised the players for playing it like an actual game.

Those are high school player rankings not NBA propsect rankings. Green has #1 in that regard for some time, and showed why he was at the McDonald's All-America Game. You talked about Dajuan Wagner. There is a reason he didn't succeed and that will be the same reason Ellis and Williams don't. SGs barely over '6"0. That is why they aren't on the lottery radar. If they're smart they'll pull out.</div>

Draftcity needs to watch the game again. They are entitled to their opinion, but I completely disagree with it. How can they make a statement like that when you had guys getting wide open dunks and 3's, left and right? The final score was 115-110 for crying out loud. A combined score of 225 points is normal? The first half was a blowout by the East with a 22 point lead on 57% shooting.

Here is Rob Harrington's latest rankings for High School prospects. He is one of the most respected writers covering college basketball recruting. Obviously, the High School National Rankings are not good enough for you even though I specifically said HIS PEERS. On Harrington's list Gerald Green is Ranked #13. I never said they were NBA prospect rankings. For the record Oden is the #1 NBA high school prospect, not Gerald Green.

Rankings

I talked about the hype around Wagner and Stevenson. Let's not twist that into why Wagner's height has hurt him, it's been his health that's slowed him down more than anything. The point was to not get so wrapped up in Gerald Green after that game.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The biggest story of the prep basketball season has been the remarkable play of guards Monta Ellis and Martell Webster. Both Ellis and Webster ranked among the top 15 senior prospects entering the season but now they project as the top two players in the Class of 2005, depending on how each finishes the season. </div> Source

As for your comments on Ellis, he is 6'3 and already showed scouts he's capable of playing PG. Louis Williams is the one who needs to prove he can do the same.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">A good ball handler, Ellis can create for others <u>as a point guard</u>, and has the tools to be a great defensive player. </div> from Preproundball.com

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not sure where you got the comparisons of Taft to Amare or McDyess, he's not an explosive leaper like those two. Worst case scenario he's Michael Olowakandi, best case scenario Elton Brand or Jamaal Magloire.</div>
    This almost slipped by me. Brand or Magloire? Why is that? I think the Amare one is a much better comparison than Brand.

6. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Is this the most ridiculous Mock Draft you've ever seen? [​IMG]
    Fran Vazquez comparison is...Kevin Garnett!
    Hoopshype Mock Draft

7. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

You got that right.. Martynas Andriuskevicius compared to Chris Webber? What were these guys on anyway?

8. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting D-Mob:</div><div class="quote_post">You got that right.. Martynas Andriuskevicius compared to Chris Webber? What were these guys on anyway?</div>
    For real, I think they fail.

9. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">This almost slipped by me. Brand or Magloire? Why is that? I think the Amare one is a much better comparison than Brand.</div>
    I told you why ... he's not as <u>explosive</u> as Amare or Dice. He's not as athletic as Amare and doesn't have the same dribbling ability as him or the skill to extend a defender outside the key yet. I'm sure he'll develop those skills if he works hard in the NBA, but Amare came in to the league with those abilities already. I think people compare him to Amare and Dice because of his body type. He already has an NBA body at age 19, just like Amare had.

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I told you why ... he's not as <u>explosive</u> as Amare or Dice. He's not as athletic as Amare and doesn't have the same dribbling ability as him or the skill to extend a defender outside the key yet. I'm sure he'll develop those skills if he works hard in the NBA, but Amare came in to the league with those abilities already. I think people compare him to Amare and Dice because of his body type. He already has an NBA body at age 19, just like Amare had.</div>
    I know why not Amare, I just don't know why it's Elton Brand. Taft isn't an undersized power forward and his body is different from Brand's.

11. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

i really like wayne simean and i don't care that he's undersized, he's nba ready.

12. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">I know why not Amare, I just don't know why it's Elton Brand. Taft isn't an undersized power forward and his body is different from Brand's.</div>
    You do realize Elton Brand has a freakish wingspan of 7 feet 5 inches right?

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">You do realize Elton Brand has a freakish wingspan of 7 feet 5 inches right?</div>
    Yeah, I know he does. And I also know Taft has a good wingspan too. Is this the only reason why?

What's the difference between him and a Melvin Ely.

14. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I told you why ... he's not as <u>explosive</u> as Amare or Dice. He's not as athletic as Amare and doesn't have the same dribbling ability as him or the skill to extend a defender outside the key yet. I'm sure he'll develop those skills if he works hard in the NBA, but Amare came in to the league with those abilities already. I think people compare him to Amare and Dice because of his body type. He already has an NBA body at age 19, just like Amare had.</div>
    Amare is powerful,fast,intense,McDyess is wiry,but strong,a leaper. Taft is a methodical back-in,post up guy who very often doesn't show what quickness he has,and so,offensively he is much like Erick Dampier-though a bit smaller and not as tough on the boards. Amare is a standout in transition-Taft?no comparison possible.

15. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

While Ellis seemed to feel the McD game should have showcased him,he simply did not outplay the other guys on the floor and his numbers from Mississippi hs ball were not enough to make up the difference. Green,Webster and Chandler,the guy from Alaska showed a lot,Paulus looked good,McRoberts and Wright were impressive,as was the 7 ft dude headed to U Conn. Louis Williams looked good-not round 1 good. Ellis didn't sink shots in a money situation,or find other ways to impress. Green may dissapoint,he may slack off,but as for ability and skills-he's ready to play. He's 6-8 about 205-210. M Ellis and Louis Williams are under 6-3 180-and to the NBA all 3 are projected shooting G's. When some question whether Salim Stoudamire can play point,I think of all the NBA point G's who played for Lute Olsen. When they say Ellis or Williams can go from HS shooters to NBA point-I can't come up with somebody who has. Ellis and Williams may be seen as top incoming freshman prospects,I guess,but NBA?

16. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Please, give me Petro or someone else over Taft. The Knicks can use a Dalembert-like center in the post and if Aguirre works with him, he can have a bigger upside than Taft.

Btw, has anyone heard of Andrea Bargnani? I got a little info on him by someone on this site, but could someone give me more? Thanks.

17. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I don't know a whole lot, though I've heard a bit from fans of Benetton Treviso. I'm sure more will get out soon, but essentially Bargnani is a lightning quick big man. He doesn't get off the bench much as such a young player on one of the best teams in Europe, but he's easily got 3 point range, and is a decent shotblocker but a bad rebounder for his size, though he'll need to bulk up alot. As most rookies do, he tends to get into foul trouble against bigger guys. He's also got good ball-handling skills, but is maybe only an average leaper and definitely has little in terms of a post game. (He sounds like a lot of players, doesn't he? Skita comes to mind.)

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

^Thanks Zhone, I'm very interested to hear more once June rolls around.

19. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Fran Vazquez... why is he so high? Just wondering about why everyone is so high on him.

20. McGrady^1

McGrady^1 JBB JustBBall Member

I thinkh we are gonna take McCants when we can...Babcock alrady mentioned we want an atheltic swingman who can play good D and give us some scoring