Official JBB 2005 NBA Mock Draft Rnd 1 (v3.0)

Discussion in 'JBB Mock Draft 2005 - 2007' started by Shapecity, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

With the season ending and the tiebreakers for the lottery teams determined today, <font color="blue">Voodoo Child</font>, <font color="blue">Shapecity</font>, and new addition <font color="blue">CourtKing</font> present Version 3.0 of the 2005 NBA Mock Draft.

Today also marked Sean May, Raymond Felton, and Marvin Williams entering the NBA Draft.

#1 Andrew Bogut :: ATL
    #2 Chris Paul :: NO
    #3 Marvin Williams :: CHA
    #4 Deron Williams :: UTAH
    #5 Gerald Green :: POR
    #6 Martin Andriuskevicius :: MIL
    #7 Raymond Felton :: TOR
    #8 Fran Vazquez :: NYK
    #9 Nemanja Aleksandrov :: GSW
    #10 Chris Taft :: LAL
    #11 Martell Webster :: ORL
    #12 Sean May :: LAC
    #13 Mardy Collins :: CHA (from CLE)
    #14 Danny Granger :: MIN
    #15 Tiago Splitter :: NJ
    #16 Charlie Villanueva :: TOR (from PHI)
    #17 Antoine Wright :: IND
    #18 Jarrett Jack :: BOS
    #19 Shelden Williams :: MEM
    #20 Rashad McCants :: DEN (from WAS)
    #21 Channing Frye :: PHX (from CHI)
    #22 Ersan Ilyasova :: DEN
    #23 Johan Petro :: SAC
    #24 Wayne Simien :: HOU
    #25 Francisco Garcia :: SEA
    #26 Malik Hairston :: DET
    #27 Hakim Warrick :: UTAH (from DAL)
    #28 Ryan Gomes :: SA
    #29 Andray Blatche :: MIA
    #30 Kennedy Winston :: NYK (from PHX)

2. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

Malik Hairston and Mardy Collins? I didn't even know that those guys had declared...

3. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Schaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">Malik Hairston and Mardy Collins? I didn't even know that those guys had declared...</div>

We included players "on the fence" in this draft. Also Shelden Williams has not declared either.

4. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

What trade did Dallas and Utah make?

5. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

Why would Minnesota draft a SF when they need a center? They would still have Wally, Hassell, Ebi and Hoiberg with Spree gone. I think there is a better chance of them drafting a center or a pg if they trade Sam or Troy away.

6. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

It's probably one of those, "best player available" situations, which I don't agree with right here. A center is a MUST for the T'Wolves and there is no doubt about it. Before they even think about drafting a wingman, a center needs to be drafted. So I agree with you, I'm a bit upset with that choice.

7. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Linkin:</div><div class="quote_post">Why would Minnesota draft a SF when they need a center? They would still have Wally, Hassell, Ebi and Hoiberg with Spree gone. I think there is a better chance of them drafting a center or a pg if they trade Sam or Troy away.</div>

Spree is as good as gone, he's a free agent. Wally is demanding a trade, and they will likely get a big man through a trade (Ilgauskas or Kurt Thomas) instead of waiting for one of these young prospects to develop. They also have Kandi man for another year, a contract year mind you. Hassell is more of a SG, so is Hoiberg. Danny Granger is a steal for them at #14.

Depending on how Phoenix does in the playoffs, a lot of teams might copy them next year. Minnesota with KG, Griffin, and Granger is comparable to Amare, Marion, & QRich.

8. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TwinTowers:</div><div class="quote_post">What trade did Dallas and Utah make?</div>

Utah receives Dallas first-round pick for Pavel Podkozine from last year.

9. Linkin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Spree is as good as gone, he's a free agent. Wally is demanding a trade, and they will likely get a big man through a trade (Ilgauskas or Kurt Thomas) instead of waiting for one of these young prospects to develop. They also have Kandi man for another year, a contract year mind you. Hassell is more of a SG, so is Hoiberg. Danny Granger is a steal for them at #14. </div>

I don't what are the chances of getting a good big man through a trade. Isn't the draft before the date we can start trading players? I think we need some insurance if we can't get a deal done. And Kurt Thomas is more of a PF than a center. Olowokandi has always been too inconsistent. He has been in the league for long enough to prove himself but he hasn't. I really doubt he can do much even if it is a contract year. We would also only have Kandi and Madsen who is undersized.

Hassell and Hoiberg are sg but I was putting them as wing players. They can also occasionaly play SF.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Depending on how Phoenix does in the playoffs, a lot of teams might copy them next year. Minnesota with KG, Griffin, and Granger is comparable to Amare, Marion, & QRich.</div>

The difference is we don't have a pg like Nash to distribute the ball.

10. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CUSA Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">It's probably one of those, "best player available" situations, which I don't agree with right here. A center is a MUST for the T'Wolves and there is no doubt about it. Before they even think about drafting a wingman, a center needs to be drafted. So I agree with you, I'm a bit upset with that choice.</div>

Like Shape said, Kandi's contract year may get him to play at a high level, and the TWolves would most likely have to trade up to get an elite big man. I think they'd be better off grabbing a guy like Jarrett Jack, who can take over for Cassell (it seems he's on his way out, too) or a 2 or 3, Granger or Antoine Wright, who can come in and score right away. There's just so much that remains to be seen with the Wolves, as you don't know what they'll get for Wally, or if they trade Cassell, what they'll get for him, too. So depending on what happens with those trades, the Wolves' needs may well change before the draft...

11. Shapecity

I think Minnesota is going to experiment with KG at center next season with Griffin at PF. Getting Kurt Thomas gives them an option to play either the 4 or 5 off the bench, and use him against the bigger centers in the league with Kandi.

There are a lot of question marks with the TWolves right now.
    No coach?
    Possibly no GM?
    No cap space
    Do they rebuild or do they reload?

At this point we have to go with the BAP because the future of the team next season has no direction yet. There are no centers after Bogut who are ready to start on a team. With KG approaching 30 years old soon, his window to win is closing, and waiting 2 or 3 years for a project center to POSSIBLY develop into a starter is a huge risk for them. That means you have a 33 year old KG leading a team now, I don't think the TWolves or KG is willing to wait that long.

Danny Granger is NBA ready, plus he has superstar potential written all over him. He is low risk, high reward.

As for Kandi, don't understimate the power of money. This will be his last chance to get a big deal for the rest of his NBA career. He has never lived up to being a #1 pick, probably never will. But if he can put together a nice season, he's going to go from an LLE player to a $7M to $8M player.

The TWolves had a dissapointing season, but they were still the same team that made it to the WCF a year ago. The talent is there already, but the desire was lost and injuries killed them.

12. Linkin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Schaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">Like Shape said, Kandi's contract year may get him to play at a high level,</div>

I doubt the chances of that happening. Last time he was in a contract year, he averaged a outstanding 12 pts and had a 43% fg%. [​IMG] He has been in the league for 7 years now and hasn't done anything. In the 2 years he has been with us, he has been injured and has played even worse than when he was with the Clippers. Like I said earlier, he is very inconsistent.

13. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Linkin:</div><div class="quote_post">I doubt the chances of that happening. Last time he was in a contract year, he averaged a outstanding 12 pts and had a 43% fg%. [​IMG] He has been in the league for 7 years now and hasn't done anything. In the 2 years he has been with us, he has been injured and has played even worse than when he was with the Clippers. Like I said earlier, he is very inconsistent.</div>

Kandi is a huge question mark, but drafting an unproven talent is an even greater risk. If Kandi does not work out, they still have the option to trade him because he has an expiring contract.

14. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Kandi is a huge question mark, but drafting an unproven talent is an even greater risk. If Kandi does not work out, they still have the option to trade him because he has an expiring contract.</div>

i think that the wolves can live with whatever kandi gives them, as long as they improve their D. it was terrible at times last year, and it needs to improve. if they get a legit big man, but don't start playing D, it will all be for naught. guys who they could go after to improve their D (i'm assuming they have a little cap space, or at least a mid-level exception):

Earl Watson
    Kerry Kittles
    Raja Bell

none of these guys would be stop the presses additions, but they are all good defenders who would allow the wolves to concentrate on getting that big man through a trade, and getting some scoring help in the draft. [​IMG]

15. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Haha, I bet you guys were already expecting a post from me sooner or later! [​IMG]
    Kennedy Winstin seems logical for us because of his outside shooting touch and with Isiah very iffy on Houston's future, he could become a serviceable perimeter threat for us.

Okay, now to Fran Vazquez. First of all, I like Vazquez a lot but, reading more on him, he doesn't seem like he has that much potential. He can block shots and hit some midrange jumpers, but other than that he is a tweener, about 6'9ish, and he doesn't have the out of this world potential Isiah likes. How would you guys evaluate his best and worse case scenarios?

16. Linkin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Schaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">i think that the wolves can live with whatever kandi gives them, as long as they improve their D. it was terrible at times last year, and it needs to improve. if they get a legit big man, but don't start playing D, it will all be for naught. guys who they could go after to improve their D (i'm assuming they have a little cap space, or at least a mid-level exception):

Earl Watson
    Kerry Kittles
    Raja Bell</div>

The Wolves are over the cap and I think they are going to use the mid-level on Eddie, so they have very little money to spend.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Kandi is a huge question mark, but drafting an unproven talent is an even greater risk. If Kandi does not work out, they still have the option to trade him because he has an expiring contract.</div>

Both are risk, but I feel Kandi is the bigger one. We already have seen what he is capable of which isn't promising. Drafting a player is always a risk, how are we certain that Danny Granger will be more ready than any other player in the draft. No matter which way you look at it, a center is the Wolves biggest need and they should draft a player who fits those needs.

If we could trade Kandi if it doesn't work then the same goes for any player we draft.

17. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

I agree with my fellow Minnesota fans here. I know in Around the Forum I said we need a point guard, but I have already changed a lot of my thoughts since then. I didn't really use my head when I made my first post, and I had to fight an uphill battle from there on out.

But anyway, I do agree with Shape in saying Granger is low risk, high reward. But we do need a big man, badly. I wouldn't mind Minnesota taking Wayne Simien or Channing Frye with the fourteenth pick. Both solid big men that could definately help the team.

Also, I think the Kurt Thomas trade will happen. New York Management is wild about Szczerbiak, and I think they would give up Thomas in a heartbeat. Garnett is aging, and every year is going to need guys that can give him rests more and more.

I wouldn't be upset if we took Granger, but I think there are better choices for our team.

18. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> I wouldn't mind Minnesota taking Wayne Simien or Channing Frye with the fourteenth pick. Both solid big men that could definately help the team.</div>

I love Wayne Simien's game, but he's a push for 6-8. There's no way that he could ever play the Center position. Channing Frye is also a great player, but you can get a much better talent at this point. If you guys are gunning for a Center, then what you should be hoping for is a scenario where the 'Wolves trade down to the early to mid twenties so you can get a guy like Petro or Frye. I wouldn't waste my lottery pick on either one. I personally thought the Granger pick was great for the Timberwolves. As Shape said, they are a team that we just decided will take the best available player, because there's too much change that is likely to occur during the offseason to pass on a player like Granger for Frye. Granger won't be picked much later than #14, so he's kind of a steal here for you guys. I'd be happy with this mock if I were a Timberwolves fan. Why anyone wants Channing Frye over Danny Granger is beyond me.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Okay, now to Fran Vazquez. First of all, I like Vazquez a lot but, reading more on him, he doesn't seem like he has that much potential. He can block shots and hit some midrange jumpers, but other than that he is a tweener, about 6'9ish, and he doesn't have the out of this world potential Isiah likes. How would you guys evaluate his best and worse case scenarios?</div>

Who are the top four big men in the draft? There's Andrew Bogut, Fran Vazquez, Martynas Andriuskevicius, and Chris Taft. Bogut and Andriuskevicius will likely be gone, and Vazquez could be too depending on who wins the lottery, so what are you complaining about? Every time we give the Knicks the best big man available and you always question him. The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it?

19. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

Why do the Clips take May? You got your frontcourt set with Brand and Kaman, and you also have Wilcox (likely to be traded soon or get PT next year) plus Rebraca and co. May wouldn't be used as a lottery pick by the Clipps to only play about 20 MPG throughout his rookie contract.

Also, why do the Lakers take Taft and not the Warriors? With the small frontcourt that GS has, Taft would be a better option than Aleksandrov. They already have the SF with Dunleavy, Pietrus and Najera. A front court with Murphy and Foyle with Cabarkapa as a backup definitely needs more help than the SF spot. Taft seems like a good option, although he is an undersized C, he should get time at the PF spot with the GS frontcourt switching up posistions based on matchups.

BTW I really like this Mock Draft. I have a few more questions, but these are the questions I have the biggest issues with.

20. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Banks:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do the Clips take May? You got your frontcourt set with Brand and Kaman, and you also have Wilcox (likely to be traded soon or get PT next year) plus Rebraca and co. May wouldn't be used as a lottery pick by the Clipps to only play about 20 MPG throughout his rookie contract.

Also, why do the Lakers take Taft and not the Warriors? With the small frontcourt that GS has, Taft would be a better option than Aleksandrov. They already have the SF with Dunleavy, Pietrus and Najera. A front court with Murphy and Foyle with Cabarkapa as a backup definitely needs more help than the SF spot. Taft seems like a good option, although he is an undersized C, he should get time at the PF spot with the GS frontcourt switching up posistions based on matchups.

BTW I really like this Mock Draft. I have a few more questions, but these are the questions I have the biggest issues with.</div>

dude, najera's in denver now (rodney white trade)

also, i think that May would be a great fit in Golden State. He can play right next to Murphy, and he's gonna be able to run a bit, having played in the system he did at UNC