Official JBB 2005 NBA Mock Draft Rnd 1 (v3.0)

Discussion in 'JBB Mock Draft 2005 - 2007' started by Shapecity, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Here's some mock ideas I had while trying to figure out the Warriors pick
    It is only for picks 1 through 10, but I will try to complete it right up to Minny's pick.

This is assuming NO TRADES OR SWAPS for cash

At #1) Atlanta - Andrew Bogut
    Atlanta has needs for the point guard, center, and power forward positions. Consensus pick is Andrew Bogut, he'll go #1 since he can solve power forward or center and rebounds really well. A bit of a safe pick since he has no real serious flaws except free throw shooting. He's neither super slow or an athletic freak. He's the best big man available with all around skill. Will face unfair expectations to be the next Tim Duncan I'm guessing.

Since Tyronn Lue is a free agent, Atlanta might hold onto their money and wait for a better free agency for point guards or they might just draft Chris Paul.

At #2) New Orleans - Chris Paul
    New Orleans has needs for small forward or point guard or possibly power forward. But with PJ Brown still under contract along with Chris Andersen, I'm thinking they'll choose the best available player that can handle the ball and score. I'm going with Chris Paul and maybe Marvin Williams. This all depends if Bryon Scott is impressed with Paul and if he still has a job. He's got a reputation for pissing off franchise level point guards. If they've got Marvin Williams, it'd take the pressure off J.R. Smith/Jamaal Magloire to be the franchise guys, but the Hornets have got all this money to land a variety of big scorers and there's really no other pure point guards floating around in free agency. Right now they got a serviceable point guard in Speedy Claxton still under contract. With the cap space to sign somebody like Seattle's Antonio Daniels (if he opts out), Portland's Damon Stoudamire, Bobby Jackson (if Sacramento doesn't excercise team option), Cavaliers' Jeff Mcinnis, Clippers' Marko Jaric (should be a shooting guard), Bulls' Chris Duhon, Atlanta's Tyronn Lue, drafting Marvin Williams might work since he's clearly got the tools to be a superstar type player.

If I were New Orleans, I'd try to lure Stromile Swift, Antonio Daniels and draft Marvin Williams. On paper it doesn't look bad with:
    C: Magloire
    PF: Swift/Brown
    SF: Williams/Nachbar
    SG: J.R. Smith
    PG: Antonio Daniels

Chemistry wise and nba readiness, they still may suck as a team, but they look like they could run the floor.

At #3) Charlotte - Marvin Williams or Gerald Green or Chris Paul
    Charlotte has needs for some scorers and could use a new point guard that can stretch defenses or a lights out scorer that can flat out shoot at either guard or forward. This is where I can see Gerald Green getting picked high even though he doesn't really deserve to go that high. Guys like Gerald Wallace are ok but he's not known for shooting. Then you got Jason Hart who is a servicable point guard still under contract with the possibility that Brevin Knight would want to return as starter. The team needs shooters and scorers so Emeka Okafor (F/C) can work down low. Primoz Brezec is also pretty decent for what he does (shooting center/power forward) and is still under contract. Anyway, Chris Paul is a guy that can shoot and do what Brevin can do (break someone off the dribble and pass) with more upside. They definitely need shooting though and guys who can score in a variety of ways.

At #4) Utah - Chris Paul/Raymond Felton or point guard
    Utah strictly needs a point guard. Without a reliable playmaker they don't play well. Having a guy like Chris Paul or Raymond Felton, guys who can dish and score would be a plus. This all depends on what the Jazz plan to do and what Jerry Sloan plans to do. They can also go Deron Williams (Andre Miller like)/Jarrett Jack(Gary Payton like) (although its awfully high for them IMO) Safe picks can go high in a questionable draft pool.

At #5) Portland - Gerald Green
    Portland has enough 3 or 4 position forwards and they need a pure shooting guard that can shoot. If Green is still there they'll take him, but if not they'll grab a small forward that can shoot and have Darius Miles man the 2 guard position. They have enough forwards and centers and have a future starting point guard in Sebastian Telfair. Mighty Mouse stoudamire was the best available starting shooting guard even though the Blazers could have played Richie Frahm (this was when D-miles was hurt).

At #6) Bucks - Martell Webster, Nemanja Aleksandrov, BAP or project like Martynas Andri-(whatever) or the Italian Dirk Nowitzki like project
    The Bucks virtually need everything and maybe something in case they don't get Michael Redd re-signed or if TJ Ford doesn't return (They still have Mo Williams who is a decent playmaker). If TJ Ford is ready to go next season, they'll probably pass up on a point guard. They need a power forward, a true small forward, or a true center assuming Michael Redd is re-signed. If he isn't, Desmond Mason will most likely man the two spot or Mason gets traded. So they need a small forward and one that can shoot from long distance. If there at #6 and they got nothing to lose anyway, I'd bet they'd go for a small forward similar to the players they've put on their roster (guys like Toni Kukoc or Keith Van Horn). They've got an Italian player (Andrea Barganani) that is sort of like Dirk Nowitzki and they have Aleksandrov who is supposed to be an athletic Peja Stojakavic. If they want somebody that can just flat our score and play either guard or small forward to alternate with Mason on the wing, I'd bet they'd go for Martell Webster if he declares. He can shoot, post up, drive.

They might not go for power forward because either way Webster can play shooting guard or small forward which helps the team if Redd doesn't return, and they have Joe Smith who is serviceable and Zaur Pachulia might re-sign for cheap if they're not sold on any of the project power forwards or questionable mental makeup. But if they think Tiago Splitter or Chris Taft is the best available player, they'll go for those picks and maybe try to flaunt some cash around to maybe land Ray Allen back (yeah right, kidding)? They need a 3 point shooter and Desmond "The Cowboy" Mason doesn't do that at two guard and they need a reliable ballhandler (Also so doesn't do). So I'm guessing not power forward since none of the power forwards left have "superstar" potential wheras Webster has shown flashes that he can be based on offense.

At #7) Toronto - Raymond Felton or point guard or guard/forward BAP with most upside
    Toronto already has Chris Bosh so they don't need a forward/center and they drafted Rafael Araujo last year for center. What this team needs is some chemistry and some leadership. When Jalen Rose is your team's leader... yikes... Actually, that's not fair since things have changed from his Chicago Bulls days. I guess the Raptors will go for broke. They've spent money on Skip-to-my-lou at starting point guard who has been a headcase. They've got oft injured Alvin Williams still under contract... They've got seldom used Aaron Williams who is serviceable at either forward spot. They've got Mo Pete who is a good role player at either guard or forward and Jalen Rose at guard/forward and finally Lamond Murray who sees some limited action at small forward (and in a rare case, guard). Frankly, GM Rob Babcock puzzles the hell out of me. So I probably will not get his picks right. But I'm thinking he'll go for Raymond Felton. He can be an exciting player (that can shoot, pass and dunk) and he's probably ready now. Gerald Green and Martwell Webster are long gone I'm assuming. They could also swing and take Splitter, Vasquez, or Chris Taft since these are guys that could play center (Splitter and Taft are the guys with post game). But why do that after having a solid F/C in Chris Bosh and having drafted Rafael Araujo last season?

At #8) New York - Chris Taft/Fran Vasquez or point forward or another guard or Martynas Andri-whatever-t-f
    Knicks will probably go for center/power forward Fran Vasquez, Chris Taft or Splitter or another guard. The guy who is most center like is probably either Vasquez or Chris Taft as Splitter is more like a small forward/power forward with no range. I'm betting they will go for Vasquez because he can finish alley oops, block shots and run the floor like Marcus Camby does. They've already have a solid draft in getting Mike Sweetney for low post presence at power forward and they've added Jamal Crawford at combo guard. They could also look at some small forwards that play like guards, so if Martell Webster or Gerald Green fall they could be a Knick. Like Babcock, Isiah Thomas also puzzles me as a GM... He could very well draft another point guard so Stephon Marbury can play shooting guard and Jamaal Crawford at small forward. [​IMG] Zeke's 3-guard system would be reality! Or he could find a point forward like Charlie Villaneuva whose hometown is Brooklyn. But that would be a bit high for him... But then if that's the reason, they could very go well for Chris Taft who is also from New York (Brooklyn as well).

At #9.) Golden State - Chris Taft/Tiago Splitter/or BAP low post player Forward or Center or project like Martynas-I give up
    Depending on who is left I could see us taking a power forward or center either Chris Taft, Tiago Splitter, some NBA ready player righ now or a project who has post game right now but can't contribute right away. Although Foyle/Murphy/Biedrins could alternate between power forward/center none of them have much offensive game in the post. Also it is most likely not another small forward unless we picked somebody with superstar potential (because W's already have Dunleavy (pg/sf), Pietrus(sg/sf), Zarko(sf/pf/c), Richarsdon(sg/sf) ). At point guard we could get somebody in case Baron was really screwed over with an injury, but our #9 pick would automatically be a future backup rather than a future starter because of Baron Davis being the man in Oakland and Fisher locked up until 2010. So I see the Warriors trying to take whoever has post game (nba ready or not), can score, can run the floor and defend and has the potential to start somewhere down the road. We'll probably trade the #9 if we can't use it and somebody can. Based on the Warriors solid late season play, the rotations seems set at 8 or 9 players. I think it's 1 of 2 players. Taft because of Mullin's strong connection to New Yorkers (Like with Luis Flores) or it will be a project like Tiago Splitter where it's not a huge deal to contribute in the post at power forward right away, but can play some nights off the bench and run the floor and develop his strength.

2. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Well, I'm going to be original and agree with who my team is picking.

The only guaranteed players on Seattle's roster next season will be Nick Collison, Luke Ridnour and Rashard Lewis. That leaves centre and shooting guard as the positions in question. We have Robert Swift developing, so there is probably no real point taking a centre unless he is ready to contribute right away. It's a weak draft for big men, and unless Frye is available at 25, I don't see the point.

Ray Allen and Flip Murray are both FAs. I expect Ray to be back, and if that is the case, Flip won't. So why not draft a shooting guard and let him back up Ray? Garcia is a logical choice, as he is a smart baksetball player with close to the purest stroke in the draft. If Ray is back, then he can play his 10-15 minutes a game backing him up.

Kennedy Winston is another I really like, I think he'll make teams regret passing on him.

3. Custodianrules2

#10 for the Lakers -
    Point guard or Power Forward/Center.
    Deron Williams, Jarret Jack, Martynas Andriskivus, or Chris Taft, Splitter (if they've fallen this far)

Martynas Andriskivus for the Lakers would be my bet. Loads of potential. Very scary. Could dominate in the future, but is not quite NBA ready. Lakers have a variety of small forwards, a solid center in Chris Mihm (nothing fancy), and Lamar Odom at power forward. If Odom slides over to small forward and Taft is still there, they should get him. I think there needs to be a player to get the ball to Kobe and make him better, so it's either another guy that's going to be doubled in the paint or a point guard.

I could also say Deron Williams or Jarret Jack. Deron Williams' stock is higher and he knows how to run a team offense and play defense. Something Chucky Atkins struggles with. He can't hit the 3-ball very well though and he could just another player on the defensive end if he can't keep up with the speed of the NBA. But he's really strong for his size. Jarret Jack is also decent and can run on offense pretty well and is solid on defense, few flaws, but doesn't look like a star or anything.

Hard to find players that could work with Kobe's high volume shooting unless there's a trade. Still I think a point guard that could make Kobe better would be ideal or get that project Center that can be the next Zyldrunas Illgauskus only quicker.

#11 for Orlando.
    Another point guard or guard/forward, BAP or Project

They've got Nelson at point guard. The Franchise at shooting guard as a possibility next season, Grant Hill at small forward, Dwight Howard at power forward, and Cato or Battie at center. I'd say draft another point guard, somebody tall if Stevie Franchise is the future shooting guard. Jarret Jack or Deron Williams if they are left or go Antoine Wright at shooting guard or small forward if they're not confident with Deshawn Stevenson (this allows Stevie to play point guard and some small forward along with Turkgolu). There's also a Peja type player in Nemanja Aleksandrov that might be worth a pick. If the Magic are confident they don't need any guard or wing, I'd pick the 7'3 Lithuanian Kid if everyone else passes him up to replace all centers in the roster.

#12 for the clippers - Rudy Fernandez, Nemanja Aleksandrov, Antoine Wright

Clips looked like they were showing signs of turning around, but they seem to be missing some outside shooting. Kaman looks solid, Brand is a gem, Magette does well at either guard or forward, Livingston looks like a good player at either guard spot and possibily forward with more weight. I think the athletic, shooting small forward Nemanja Aleksandrov, Antoine Wright or maybe even Roodolfo "Rudy" Fernandez at shooting guard and Corey Maggette at small forward. Rudy can flat out shoot, handle the ball, and pass. Might go well with Shaun Livingston in the backcourt to push the ball and find a way to get the ball to Brand and Maggette and score in the flow of things.

I think the key thing is that they spread the floor with some perimeter shooter and some additional passers since they have players that can drive and play in the low post.

#13 Charlotte - BAP or project
    Find another big scorer that can spread the floor at forward or small forward or take BAP (best available player). CJ Miles (if he declares), Ike Diogu (if he redeclares), Danny Granger, or Andray Blatche.

#14 Minnesota - point guard or BAP or project
    Best available player. At this low in the draft, it's hard to find an impact player. I'd say point guard. Maybe Channing Frye, Danny Granger, Ike Diogu (he may have pulled out), Johan Petro, CJ Miles (if he declares), Charlie Villuaneva, Andray Blatche. Hard to say.

4. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">To add to McCants drop in the draft was his subpar performance in the NCAA tournament. He's also turned out to be quite the headcase, using the analogy of playing college basketball as being similar to being in prison. He's undersized as Zhone mentioned, and his arrogant attitude has turned off a lot of scouts.</div>

Mccants has still changed his on court attitude to help the team, I can tell you last year if it is a two on one Mccants will just drive it himself to make a tough play. Now he is doing what's right for the team he will pass up an open shot for another teammate who has an easy lay-up, things like that. He still shows that he is cocky though, the salute after the dunks, and the throat slashing sign when playing NC St. are things that Mccants could have cut out of his game. I never really bought into the size factor for Mccants being that he has the athletic ability to make up for it, and if he measures in at 6'4" at the pre-draft camp it could help his stock greatly. I can see Mccants any where from 11-20.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Charlotte isn't going to pick Marvin Williams. We have no need for a player like him. If anything they should go after Paul if NO doesn't pick him.</div>

Charlotte's main need coming into the draft will probably be point guard with Brevin Knight getting old, but there should be a couple promising ones where the Bobcats have their second pick. The Bobcats can move Marvin to small forward (when he is ready which isn't now) and Wallace to the two guard spot and have a freakishly athletic lineup. Marvin is also considered one of those players that you will have to wait on and it looks like the Bobcats have the time. Another possibility for the Bobcats (if they don?t want Marvin) is to trade down around two or three picks to like the six range and pick Raymond Felton or Deron Williams (or just draft one of them at three).

5. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">
    #14 Minnesota - point guard or BAP or project
    Best available player. At this low in the draft, it's hard to find an impact player. I'd say point guard. Maybe Channing Frye, Danny Granger, Ike Diogu (he may have pulled out), Johan Petro, CJ Miles (if he declares), Charlie Villuaneva, Andray Blatche. Hard to say.</div>

With this pick, I struggled. At first, I thought it was obvious that we would need a big man. Kandi and Madsen just wouldn't cut it. So I thought that we should focus out draft pick on Channing Frye, a player I wanted and a player that would fill our need. But the more and more I thought about it, the pick of Granger does seem more reasonable now. With Wally possibly gone, along with Spree, we'll be left with just Ebi and he can't start and play a whole game. Drafting Granger would be a good choice, but, if Spree and Wally some how end up here again next season, then the pick will be looking pretty bad.

6. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Yeah. Me and CUSA figured this out yesterday. We project Sprewell leaving and Szczerbiak being traded, hence, we need a small forward. Granger seems like the best choice, so, yes, you guys were right.

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">Haha, I bet you guys were already expecting a post from me sooner or later! [​IMG]
    Kennedy Winstin seems logical for us because of his outside shooting touch and with Isiah very iffy on Houston's future, he could become a serviceable perimeter threat for us.

Okay, now to Fran Vazquez. First of all, I like Vazquez a lot but, reading more on him, he doesn't seem like he has that much potential. He can block shots and hit some midrange jumpers, but other than that he is a tweener, about 6'9ish, and he doesn't have the out of this world potential Isiah likes. How would you guys evaluate his best and worse case scenarios?</div>

MrJ18 it wouldn't be a successful Mock Draft without your questions. [​IMG]

Just for you here's a video clip of Tiago Splitter Video Clip

After you watch him get 2 un-contested dunks and make a nice block, focus on two other things.

1. He's very skinny without much muscle, also he does not have a big frame and no wide shoulders, so he likely won't be able to bulk up much.

2. Even though he ended up blocking the shot on defense, it's not a good sign. Watch how easy he gets backed down by that offensive player, if he does that against an NBA power forward, he gets posterized on that play.

I'd love the Knicks to pass up Fran Vazquez, and I hope he falls to #10 so the Lakers can grab him. He's still a little raw on offense and has limited range, but I like what he brings on the defensive end. He has a strong work ethic, plays under control, long wing-span.

8. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah. Me and CUSA figured this out yesterday. We project Sprewell leaving and Szczerbiak being traded, hence, we need a small forward. Granger seems like the best choice, so, yes, you guys were right.</div>

What's wrong with Ebi? He played 2 games this season, meaningless games I may add, and looked impressive. He has the potential to be an above average SF in the league based on what I've see from him.

9. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Banks:</div><div class="quote_post">What's wrong with Ebi? He played 2 games this season, meaningless games I may add, and looked impressive. He has the potential to be an above average SF in the league based on what I've see from him.</div>

He has potential but he isn't ready to start yet because he still too raw. If Wally and Spree are really going to be gone, we would only have 3 swingmen, Ebi, Hoiberg and Hassell. That won't work. And I don't think Pure said there was anything wrong with Ebi, it was just that we wouldn't have any depth at the SF position.

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CUSA Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">With this pick, I struggled. At first, I thought it was obvious that we would need a big man. Kandi and Madsen just wouldn't cut it. So I thought that we should focus out draft pick on Channing Frye, a player I wanted and a player that would fill our need. But the more and more I thought about it, the pick of Granger does seem more reasonable now. With Wally possibly gone, along with Spree, we'll be left with just Ebi and he can't start and play a whole game. Drafting Granger would be a good choice, but, if Spree and Wally some how end up here again next season, then the pick will be looking pretty bad.</div>
    Pure/CUSA Fan the whole Nudbi Ebi thing was the whole reason I thought they wouldn't get Danny Granny because both are the same kind versatile players that can do a little bit of everything. Granger, however, is projected to be a great utility player that can probably contribute right away and has been the leader of his team in college in a lot of categories and playing different positions as needed.

Minny needs so many things, it was hard to figure out exactly what they needed more and who would be left on the board by this point. I said point guard because even though Troy Hudson is serviceable, you have to worry about the attitude, his consistency, and his mediocre playmaking skills. He's a combo guard basically. Sam Cassell has one year left on his contract and has showed signs of breaking down after making the allstar team last season and he's also a combo guard. With pure point guards being a rarity these days, guys like Jarret Jack, Deron Williams, or whoever falls due to the "safe pick" would probably be Minny's best bet, since there aren't a whole lot of good pure points in free agency this season. If they let Ebi develop and trade Wally for a shooting guard, that might work.

For FA point guards, Steve Blake could be a very viable option in free agency, but even though the guy is 6'3, Earl Boykins could outmuscle him. The guy is skinny, but he is talented in getting the ball to his teammates, can nail perimeter shots and he's pesky when it comes to defense. After that you got some older point guards like Mighty Mouse Stoudamire, a combo guard like Antonio Daniels, Dan Dickau, Brevin Knight, and some others who are decent.
    I figure if you can grab a guy who isn't overly flashy, but finds a way to get the ball where his teammates like it, Minnesota will improve their offense and not rely on Kevin Garnett so much to make things happen for his teammates.

11. CUSA Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Banks:</div><div class="quote_post">What's wrong with Ebi? He played 2 games this season, meaningless games I may add, and looked impressive. He has the potential to be an above average SF in the league based on what I've see from him.</div>

So besides Ebi, who else would we have at the small forward spot if both Wally and Spree would be gone? There's no way Ebi is ready to start at the SF spot for the entire season and play a major part of the games. Throughout his two season in the league, mainly this last one, injuries have seem to get the best of him. We still would have Hoiberg and Hassell but both are a bit too short to be playing the three. Both would be splitting minutes at the two.

12. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Minny needs so many things, it was hard to figure out exactly what they needed more and who would be left on the board by this point. I said point guard because even though Troy Hudson is serviceable, you have to worry about the attitude, his consistency, and his mediocre playmaking skills. He's a combo guard basically. Sam Cassell has one year left on his contract and has showed signs of breaking down after making the allstar team last season and he's also a combo guard. With pure point guards being a rarity these days, guys like Jarret Jack, Deron Williams, or whoever falls due to the "safe pick" would probably be Minny's best bet, since there aren't a whole lot of good pure points in free agency this season. If they let Ebi develop and trade Wally for a shooting guard, that might work.

For FA point guards, Steve Blake could be a very viable option in free agency, but even though the guy is 6'3, Earl Boykins could outmuscle him. The guy is skinny, but he is talented in getting the ball to his teammates, can nail perimeter shots and he's pesky when it comes to defense. After that you got some older point guards like Mighty Mouse Stoudamire, a combo guard like Antonio Daniels, Dan Dickau, Brevin Knight, and some others who are decent.

I figure if you can grab a guy who isn't overly flashy, but finds a way to get the ball where his teammates like it, Minnesota will improve their offense and not rely on Kevin Garnett so much to make things happen for his teammates.</div>

Jay and myself were considering Brevin Knight or Earl Watson to fill our point guard needs. Knight is the better passer, but Watson has overall more talent. Also, age was a key factor.

We both think Cassell will stay until his contract is up, so drafting a point guard would mean he would be struggling to get playing time.

Sorry Jay, we're letting our plans leak. Haha.

13. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CUSA Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">So besides Ebi, who else would we have at the small forward spot if both Wally and Spree would be gone? There's no way Ebi is ready to start at the SF spot for the entire season and play a major part of the games. Throughout his two season in the league, mainly this last one, injuries have seem to get the best of him. We still would have Hoiberg and Hassell but both are a bit too short to be playing the three. Both would be splitting minutes at the two.</div>

You guys make it seem like Ebi is not ready, when he has 2 years of being in the NBA under his belt. Although he has not seen much PT, he still has been with the team longer and knows what the NBA is about. After seeing him in the last couple of the games of the season, it seems like he's ready to take on that SF spot. Although 2 games is much to brag about, they were NBA Starter contributions he put up. There's nothing wrong about drafting Granger, I'm just bringing up Ebi because he has not been brought up in this conversation.

14. CUSA Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure:</div><div class="quote_post">Jay and myself were considering Brevin Knight or Earl Watson to fill our point guard needs. Knight is the better passer, but Watson has overall more talent. Also, age was a key factor.

We both think Cassell will stay until his contract is up, so drafting a point guard would mean he would be struggling to get playing time.

Sorry Jay, we're letting our plans leak. Haha.</div>

lol It's alright, I've done a little of the same.

15. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Just for you here's a video clip of Tiago Splitter Video Clip

After you watch him get 2 un-contested dunks and make a nice block, focus on two other things.

1. He's very skinny without much muscle, also he does not have a big frame and no wide shoulders, so he likely won't be able to bulk up much.

2. Even though he ended up blocking the shot on defense, it's not a good sign. Watch how easy he gets backed down by that offensive player, if he does that against an NBA power forward, he gets posterized on that play.</div>
    My computer is the crappiest piece of junk around so I can't see the clip and I unfortuantely don't know Spanish either. I might have seen it on TV. Was a putback one of the dunks?

I know he's very lanky, but he is quicker than the average big man and he is athletic with a nice vertical leap. Will it be possible to thrive off of athleticism similar to what Marcus Camby does?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'd love the Knicks to pass up Fran Vazquez, and I hope he falls to #10 so the Lakers can grab him. He's still a little raw on offense and has limited range, but I like what he brings on the defensive end. He has a strong work ethic, plays under control, long wing-span.</div>
    Yeah I like him too, but I honestly don't see him putting up more than 12/7/1.5bpg in the league. They say he can help now, but he's likely not to get any better than what he is. He is a little Marcus Camby-ish but can he really turn out to be more than just a poor man's Camby? On know I was dogging Taft in the other mock, but I would prefer him over Vazquez.

16. Shapecity

Fran Vazquez still has a lot of room for improvement. He is still developing his offensive game, and he's only going to get better on defense. He's not going to be a franchise player, but he'll be a solid role player on any team. He has a great work ethic to go along with his physical attributes.

Tiago Splitter reminds me of a shorter Chris Mihm actually. No the video is not dunks off putbacks, it's a new one from a recent game. I was just amazed at how easy the player pushed Tiago back. There was no resistance at all from Tiago on the play.

Chris Taft has the most upside of the 3 players, but his lack of work ethic is a major concern. Also the fact he will make guaranteed money, Taft might not show anything until a year before his rookie contract expires. Hopefully, he was just bored with the lack of competition in college or something. But then again, how soon does he become unenthusiastic with the NBA. Chris Taft has all the physical tools to be a superstar in the NBA. However, is he willing to work hard to put it together or will he just be a complete waste of talent?

17. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Fran Vazquez still has a lot of room for improvement. He is still developing his offensive game, and he's only going to get better on defense. He's not going to be a franchise player, but he'll be a solid role player on any team. He has a great work ethic to go along with his physical attributes.</div>
    Does he have all-star potential too? I heard that he will just be a role player and nothing more. I also heard Taft's half effort is better than Vazquez at his full.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Tiago Splitter reminds me of a shorter Chris Mihm actually. No the video is not dunks off putbacks, it's a new one from a recent game. I was just amazed at how easy the player pushed Tiago back. There was no resistance at all from Tiago on the play.</div>
    He really does need to bulk up a bit, but if he can fix that in a year or two, I think he will be a very good player.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Chris Taft has the most upside of the 3 players, but his lack of work ethic is a major concern. Also the fact he will make guaranteed money, Taft might not show anything until a year before his rookie contract expires. Hopefully, he was just bored with the lack of competition in college or something. But then again, how soon does he become unenthusiastic with the NBA. Chris Taft has all the physical tools to be a superstar in the NBA. However, is he willing to work hard to put it together or will he just be a complete waste of talent?</div>
    I don't understand if he didn't have any competition in college, why didn't he dominate? Maybe playing home might make him work to his potential of a superstar. Who will the Knicks draft if Vazquez and Taft are gone?

18. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Utah receives Dallas first-round pick for Pavel Podkozine from last year.</div>
    Ok thanks I was wondering.

19. Triple Dubble

Triple Dubble JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Dan Dickau is a free agent, and he's probably not coming back to the Hornets. The Hornets are high on Chris Paul, and since they won the coin toss they would draft #2. If Atlanta take Bogut, Paul will definitely be taken over Marvin at this point. The Hornets want an explosive PG, and Paul will be able to push the tempo for the Hornets, similar to what Jason Kidd did in NJ, when Scott coached the Nets. The Hornets are going to throw their money at Stromile Swift to play PF.</div>
    And why wouldn't Dickau stay with New Orleans? This is a guy in his 3rd season on his 5th NBA team (Atlanta, Portland, Golden State, Dallas, New Orleans). Now he's finally found his place, so why would he not want to stay? You think teams are going to be chasing after him as deep as the free agent PG market will be with players like Jeff McInnis, Earl Watson, Marko Jaric, Antonio Daniels, Bobby Jackson, etc.?

From what I've heard, New Orleans is content with both Speedy and Dickau, and that Marvin Williams is at the top of their draft board. New Orleans represents the best chance for Williams to become the top player selected in this draft. The Hornets have a huge hole to fill at small forward, and Williams would be a fantastic fit. The scenario you describe with Paul being in a similar offense Scott had with New Jersey doesn't sound bad either, however, Scott isn't making the decisions. Sources in New Orleans already claim that if Williams is on the board when the Hornets pick, wherever that is, they are taking him.

A lineup of...

Magloire
    Brown
    Williams
    Smith
    Claxton

...looks better than what they'd have if they draft Paul. Sure, free agency could change that, but teams are not always going to get what they want in free agency. The most logical choice would be Marvin Williams.

If Williams somehow falls to the Bobcats, I definitely would not be unhappy with that. Even though I hope we can get Chris Paul.

20. Shapecity

Actually you could be right about Dickau, I just found this article today. Prior to this article, I read the Hornets were not going to bring Dickau back because they did not consider him a franchise-type point guard. They've always been high on Marvin Williams and Chris Paul so it was a coin flip.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Now the question is who the Hornets keep as they rebuild. They will have a draft pick as high as first and no lower than sixth, and they could have close to $20 million to spend on free agents.

Scott says "at least half" of the Hornets' 12-man active roster will be different next season.

Two players the Hornets seem intent on bringing back, by virtue of the fact they've featured them in their new off-season advertising campaign, are guard Dan Dickau and center Chris Andersen.

"I'm pretty comfortable in saying I think both those guys will be back," Scott said. "Dan will probably be a little bit tougher to keep because there'll be some other teams after him."

Dickau, who will be a free agent this summer, had been traded four times in fewer than three seasons before starting 2004-05 in Dallas as a third-string point guard. When he joined the Hornets in exchange for Armstrong, he had averaged only 2.9 points and 1.3 assists during his young career. Since then, he has averaged about 13 points and five assists while becoming a crowd favorite.

"I couldn't have asked for a better season, really getting a chance to get my feet wet and learn a lot," Dickau said. "I'm comfortable with the offensive system that coach Scott wants to use and I'm comfortable with the coaches. I don't know what that means in today's NBA, with all the movement of coaches and players, but I've definitely enjoyed my time here."

Andersen became another crowd favorite for his ferocious rebounding and his hustle in the transition came, routinely finding a way to salvage teammates' misses with tip-ins or dunks. His short-range jump shot also has improved during the season. In a reserve role, he finished with averages of 7.7 points and 6.1 rebounds. The Hornets signed Andersen for one season after Denver let him go in 2004, meaning he'll be a free agent again.

"Denver made a big mistake by letting me go. The Hornets gave me the opportunity to show what I can do and New Orleans is a great place for me to do it," Andersen said. "They've done a great job trying to keep me here and this is the first place I'm going to look at."

Other young free agents include Jacobsen and Nachbar, who each averaged about eight points since arriving from Phoenix and Houston, respectively.

Both shoot well from outside, and Nachbar showed increasing versatility with three driving dunks against Minnesota on Monday. Against Cleveland in late March, he dribbled into the lane and hit a tough fadeaway to force overtime in a game the Hornets, as usual, ultimately lost.

"I had never been in that situation before in Houston, to have the ball in my hands and be able to decide a game or prolong it to overtime. That was big highlight for me to just show I can do stuff like that," Nachbar said, adding he'd be pleased to return. "Coming here and playing every game was a big change for me -- just to be a guy who is on the court every day and really trying to help his team."

Jacobsen said he has no idea where the free-agency period, which begins in July, will land him.

"I was given a fair opportunity to play and improve here and that's all anybody can ask for in this league," he said. "In that respect it's been a real positive situation. Obviously losing games is no fun for anybody .... but there were still positive things. Is it going to help in free agency? Time will tell."</div>

Source