Official JBB 2005 NBA Mock Draft Rnd 1 (v3.0)

Discussion in 'JBB Mock Draft 2005 - 2007' started by Shapecity, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Any chance you think Martynas can slip to #8?
    With Pryzbila surprising, Dan Gadzuric doing his thing, and with Toronto possibly drafting a PG, can Knicks take him?

2. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Custodian analyzed it pretty well and there is a very slight chance that Andriuskevicius can slip to the Knicks. He has to slip past Portland, Milwaukee, and Toronto. While you mentioned their respective big guys doing well on their teams, keep in mind Andriuskevicius is not an instant prospect. He's a Milicic (if even that). The guy is all potential, although scouts see a lot of good in him. He gets pushed around a lot, and he still plays like a small forward. Even further, he's not going to be available for private workouts. Scouts only get to see him in practice, since he's not playing. If he's not good enough to play in the Euroleague, is he good enough to play in the NBA yet? I'd bet the bank in saying no. This guy is 3-5 years away at least. Teams drafting him won't be looking at him to fill needs, but rather to get the exclusive rights to a player who will fill their future needs or be of good value.

That being said, the only way he falls to the Knicks is if they think that Andriuskevicius's potential is not all that it's cracked up to be. I'm a fan of foreign players and foreign games, and even I'm not so sure what the final verdict on this guy will be.

3. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Zhone:</div><div class="quote_post">Custodian analyzed it pretty well and there is a very slight chance that Andriuskevicius can slip to the Knicks. He has to slip past Portland, Milwaukee, and Toronto. </div>
    Remember people the lottery is yet to occur and the knicks could move up past those teams.

4. Nathan

Nathan JBB JustBBall Member

If Charlotte could land the #1 pick with the roster they have now and possibly one or two free agents and *maybe* one small trade they would definately be in the running to make the playoffs in '06

5. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Nathan:</div><div class="quote_post">If Charlotte could land the #1 pick with the roster they have now and possibly one or two free agents and *maybe* one small trade they would definately be in the running to make the playoffs in '06</div>

It may be even more interesting on who Charlotte does take with the number one pick if they do land it. Bogut looks like the number one pick as of now but the Bobcats are pretty solid in the post with Okafor and Brezec (who had a nice year this year). They would probably then look at either Marvin Williams or Chris Paul for the number one pick, who I think they can get either of those players at the three spot. Maybe Charlotte does what the Clippers did last year and trade down two spots and still get one of the players that they want.

Also it will be hard for the Bobcats to sign a good free agent because if I remember correctly they are still on that slightly smaller cap for a couple years. But they do have a lot of young talents waiting to break out such as Wallace, Okafor, Brezec, and Rush. Maybe a nice little push for the 8 spot for Charlotte on 06'.

6. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtKing:</div><div class="quote_post">Also it will be hard for the Bobcats to sign a good free agent because if I remember correctly they are still on that slightly smaller cap for a couple years. But they do have a lot of young talents waiting to break out such as Wallace, Okafor, Brezec, Rush, and Sampson. Maybe a nice little push for the 8 spot for Charlotte on 06'.</div>

They waived Sampson a long time ago.

7. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting D-Mob:</div><div class="quote_post">They waived Sampson a long time ago.</div>

My bad thanks for pointing that out.

8. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Zhone:</div><div class="quote_post">Custodian analyzed it pretty well and there is a very slight chance that Andriuskevicius can slip to the Knicks. He has to slip past Portland, Milwaukee, and Toronto. While you mentioned their respective big guys doing well on their teams, keep in mind Andriuskevicius is not an instant prospect. He's a Milicic (if even that). The guy is all potential, although scouts see a lot of good in him. He gets pushed around a lot, and he still plays like a small forward. Even further, he's not going to be available for private workouts. Scouts only get to see him in practice, since he's not playing. If he's not good enough to play in the Euroleague, is he good enough to play in the NBA yet? I'd bet the bank in saying no. This guy is 3-5 years away at least. Teams drafting him won't be looking at him to fill needs, but rather to get the exclusive rights to a player who will fill their future needs or be of good value.

That being said, the only way he falls to the Knicks is if they think that Andriuskevicius's potential is not all that it's cracked up to be. I'm a fan of foreign players and foreign games, and even I'm not so sure what the final verdict on this guy will be.</div>
    That's a pretty realistic look at Martynas A. When the money is on the table,some teams won't want to wait a few years while he acquires a game. However,the Knicks are not a team that tends to go with the long term plan,so they might pass too. This guy,it is generally agreed is tall,mobile,has good hands,too little strength,some shooting touch,no in the paint skills. Otherwise he's a package under the Christmas tree that you can't open until 2007. Anything from star to dud.

9. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Thanks Zhone for the compliment. I've just got this feeling Martynas A could end up being either the next Maciej Lampe or Cezary Trybanski for a loooong while before he starts playing like a Sabonis, Rick Smits or an Illgauskus type player. Or the worst scenario is that he may never be good as projected and there goes hope for the franchise that was counting on him to meet expectations. I'm sure he's doing it though because most NBA teams have very few centers that size that can do what he can do now, which is shoot, dribble, and pass with the potential to be a good inside player, shotblocker, rebounder, and transition or post defender. He's got the fundamentals, quickness, so all he needs is the footwork and the bulk. But it's always easier said than done.

10. Zhone

As far as M.A., I think the success of Pau Gasol and Arvydas Sabonis are something that is helping his draft stock. Gasol has the same build and same height and came in with a similar skillset. One thing that was different perhaps was Gasol's mental processes. Gasol still isn't the best inside post player, but he can shoot which allows him to create better overall. Arvydas was barely an inside presence but like Divac he was a great passer, and he was an even better shooter. I'm sure NBA teams are hoping that M.A. can produce similar results, especially relying on the link between Arvydas and Martynas. The only problem is that they are overlooking the failures of a lot of other players.

11. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

I like Utah's picks.
    I absolutely agree with the Deron Williams pick, he's a strong, big, point guard who can dish, shoot the rock, and play some defense.
    If it was up to me, I would pick Ryan Gomes over Hakim Warrik though, Gomes is big and explosive, I been a fan of his for a while now. I'm not knockin Hakim Warrik, it's just that I haven't seen him play a lot this year.

12. stkf

stkf BBW Member

i dont see Petro goin 2 SAC

with mobley prob not coming back... Monta Ellis might be the man.. if not... Warrick, or Simien might be drafted

13. CifrOoZ

CifrOoZ JBB JustBBall Member

I wonder there is linas kleiza.. you know it?

14. Zhone

Kleiza, unless he has some impressive workouts and showings at camps, is not likely to crack the first round. He's got a lot of skill and energy, but like many other forwards in the draft, there are questions as to whether he's big enough to play the 4 (is he 6'7 or 6'8?) and fast enough to guard the 3.

15. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

In the past week,Sheldon Williams said he's firm about going back to Duke. Ike Diogu denied a rumor he pulled out of the draft-is still declared. Dwayne Jones entered.
    Quite a few teams would like a center with some ability,but there is only one Bogut. Taft has been an underachiever,what the Euro-teens can do,whether they can play C,when they will be ready,are all anyone's guess. Recent drafts skimmed off the cream so the talk is about young,raw backups who are at least agile enough to display a bit of talent. Sean May plays hard and has fine skills-but is 6-9. Some team will be too wary of an unproven prospect-and will decide Channing Frye may have ample upside with less risk-so he rises to late lottery. A team also could decide Blatche has upside and he also might displace another big prospect.
    Some coaches get weary of guys settling for a low % 3 too often. Want guys to drive inside,draw the foul and score,yet some always lapse back to perimeter shots. Such a team may not want a raw 6-10 prospect who floats around the arc. Hakim Warrick likes to attack the rim,was the NCAA leader in FT attempts.. .doesn't fire many 3's. Another team may especially want a long range bomber.

16. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Why do Utah take Deron Williams? They need a Center or a True point guard. Deron is more of a shooting guard. He can be a Andre Miller type player but highly doubtful. I think they'll take that 7-2 Lithuanian guy or Raymond Felton.

17. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do Utah take Deron Williams? They need a Center or a True point guard. Deron is more of a shooting guard. He can be a Andre Miller type player but highly doubtful. I think they'll take that 7-2 Lithuanian guy or Raymond Felton.</div>

Why do you think that Deron Williams is more of a shooting guard? If anything, he embodies the meaning of a true point guard. The man averaged 7+ apg in college basketball. He is in no way a shooting guard.

18. J_Ray

I agree

At #4) Utah - Chris Paul/Raymond Felton or point guard
    Utah strictly needs a point guard. Without a reliable playmaker they don't play well. Having a guy like Chris Paul or Raymond Felton, guys who can dish and score would be a plus. This all depends on what the Jazz plan to do and what Jerry Sloan plans to do. They can also go Deron Williams (Andre Miller like)/Jarrett Jack(Gary Payton like) (although its awfully high for them IMO) Safe picks can go high in a questionable draft pool.

I agree they'll get Deron Williams or Raymond Felton here. They should get Deron Williams because he can play 2 positions.

19. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Assuming Jerry Sloan returns as headcoach, he will want Deron Williams ahead of Felton. Not only is Deron a better passer and ballhandler, he is also an underrated defender. Jerry Sloan prefers the taller guards, and Deron has a good 3 to 4 inches on Felton. Just take a look at the point guards Sloan has played over the last few seasons.

Howard Eisley - 6'2
    Keith McCleod - 6'2
    Carlos Arroyo - 6'2
    Mo Williams - 6'1
    John Stockton - 6'1

20. J_Ray

Jerry Sloan also likes to get free agents that can fit into his system. Like McCleod and Eisley. Tell you the truth, they need an athletic center. They should trade up with their 2nd first round pick and get Channing Frye, because Jarron Collins and Curtis Bochardt aren't very good at all. They been trying any thing they can, Mikki Moore, Ben Hantolegen, That Grant guy. They want a center