Official JBB 2005 NBA Mock Draft Rnd 1 (v4.0)

Discussion in 'JBB Mock Draft 2005 - 2007' started by Voodoo Child, May 13, 2005.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Taft has the potential to be to be one great player yet he has the potential to be one of the biggest busts in this draft. I am going to pick that Taft will be the biggest bust in this years draft. The only way your potential can be used is if you work at it and Taft doesn't have that type motivation to do that. Taft still hasn't put up the numbers, or become a dominate threat, 13 and 7 a game are average for his size and athletic ability. Everybody is so high on him because he carrys around the "p" work with him and he is athletic. I am sorry for saying this but if the Knicks do pick Taft, it would simply just explain to me why they have been in the lottery three out of the last four years and have not found a star player.</div>

I think that Mr.J understands the risk involved and that Taft has to work hard and be motivated to be a successful NBA player. I just think he believes that being out of the Pittsburgh offense and being in New York with Aguirre will help him reach that potential. He may be right, but what I'm wondering is why the same wouldn't hold true for Fran Vazquez, a player who more or less has the same body, has been rather consistent for his playing time, is probably the more skilled player, and has never had his motivation questioned. Why gamble on Taft when you can be safe and take Vazquez?

2. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">It seems as if most of the Knicks problems have been due to their injury problems and not their draft picks. Please tell me where you got the idea that their draft picks have served as a hinderance to the Knicks.</div>

I am just generally saying about the Knicks that they don't always make the best choices every year when it comes to the draft or making trades. For example in 2002 instead of trading their pick to Denver the Knicks could have got either Amare Stoudemire (having a great career) or Nene (having a decent career), or when the Knicks got KVH for Spree in 2003. I should have made it more clear that it wasn't only the draft that caused the Knicks to go to the lottery three of the last four years.

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Amare Stoudemire was not thought to be this good. There were a couple interested, however, they thought going with the college player would be better. Amare was thought to have some attitude problems as well which is precisely why they traded Sprewell. The Knicks drafted Nene so you can see they had a good intent. They decided to trade him for Antonio McDyess who was a 20/10 player when healthy. Was the Knicks management supposed to know McDyess would go down in advance? I don?t think it?s very reasonable to put the blame on Layden because of a key injury. If healthy, the Knicks would have been in the playoffs especially with the season Allan Houston was having. They also got Frank Williams who was flourishing in his sophomore year, however, after the Knicks got Marbury, Williams? time was decreasing therefore his development did also.

Please tell me how the Sprewell deal was a bad one? They basically acquired height and youth in the deal and lost the headache. Van Horn was having an excellent stint with New York. It could have arguably been considered his best year of his career. He was a whole new Van Horn and he played so well and believe it or not, he used to play with heart too.

I don?t know what bad draft moves they made that caused them to be in the lottery the last 3 out of 4 years. The trade for McDyess was bad in retrospect, but it could have turned out well for them; similarly to Antawn Jamison going to the Wizards and the 5th pick going to the Mavericks last year.

Obviously some of the moves the Knicks made were not good, but it?s spilled milk now. What more can they do about it? Management has not made the best decisions, but I am still struggling to comprehend how this relates to the Knicks drafting Chris Taft. Their draft choices have been pretty good lately; in fact, why not take a look at it:

In 2002: The Knicks drafted Nene and as I explained before, it could have turned out well?unless you don?t think so.

In 2003: The Knicks drafted Mike Sweetney with the 9th pick who has turned out well for them in my opinion?unless you don?t think so.

In 2004: The Knicks drafted Trevor Ariza with the 43rd pick who has turned out well for the in my opinion?unless you don?t think so.

Overall it?s seems as if the Knicks have drafted some decent players and they also don?t have Scott Layden around anymore. Although Isiah Thomas was never Executive of the Year, his draft choices have been hard to argue with. He drafted Tracy McGrady a superstar, Damon Stoudamire the rookie of the year and managed to draft Trevor Ariza with the 43rd pick. His only knock has been Marcus Camby, but many people forget that Camby has been a more than decent player throughout his career who has been in contention for Defensive Player of the Year on many occasions throughout his career. So I do trust Isiah Thomas in the draft because of his impressive r?sum?. You seem to be bashing some of the Knicks trade moves or other bad moves, however, I don?t see how it relates to their terrible draft selections. Myself and any other Knick fan can tell you about our displeasure for some of the moves they made so you reminding us is useless. I just want to know some of their bad draft selections.

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">He may be right, but what I'm wondering is why the same wouldn't hold true for Fran Vazquez, a player who more or less has the same body, has been rather consistent for his playing time, is probably the more skilled player, and has never had his motivation questioned. Why gamble on Taft when you can be safe and take Vazquez?</div>
    I never knew that at all. I thought the reason why everyone made such a huge deal on Taft was because of his body. If Vazquez and him have the same body, than yeah, I'd take him in a heart beat! I don't know too much on Vazquez other than what Draft City or any other mock has to offer, but that's it. I've never watched him; just rely on what other people say on him.

5. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

Golden State picking Warrick is a stretch. I think those reports about them being high on Warrick might be a smoke screen. They may want someone to pick him up earlier so someone whom they really covet can drop down. I just can't see Warrick being in GS with Dunleavy and Pietrus at the 3 spot and Biedrins and Murphy at the 4 spots.

The reason I'm saying this is because Utah played the same game with Araujo (being high on him publicly) last year and guess who picked him up without even bothering to work him out? Yes...thats what I thought. The Raptors.

6. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'm with Courtvision on this one.

7. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Nice to see Joey Graham back in the first round, I would be livid if he slipped to 25 and we passed him up at this stage.

Still prefer Winston, but I could live with Garcia.

8. duke42d

duke42d JBB JustBBall Member

Marvin Money man Williams ##1 pick overall

The Hawks draft him and Land ABig Center In FRee AGencey
    alos they Draft Stoudmare from ARiz to play point!

PG Lue/STaoudimare
    SG Childress
    SF/ Josh Smith
    PF/ Aringtion/Williams
    C Sixers Center

9. sheefo13

sheefo13 JBB JustBBall Member

The wolves are gonna look into drafting a big man in the first round. They know the depth is there in the second round for a pg/sg/sf.

10. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting duke42d:</div><div class="quote_post">The Hawks draft him and Land ABig Center In FRee AGencey
    alos they Draft Stoudmare from ARiz to play point!

PG Lue/STaoudimare
    SG Childress
    SF/ Josh Smith
    PF/ Aringtion/Williams
    C Sixers Center</div>

Stoudamire has had problems playing the point in Arizona because of his below average ball handleing skills and also the fact that he really doesn't want to play the point. He will come to the league as and undersized two guard and will probably have to do what Kyle Korver did his first year in Philly and that is just provide a three ball spark off the bench. Also if Dalembert is what you mean by Sixers Center then I don't think so because Philly will probably match nearly any offer given to Dalembert, I don't want to get into that though.

11. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtKing:</div><div class="quote_post">Stoudamire has had problems playing the point in Arizona because of his below average ball handleing skills and also the fact that he really doesn't want to play the point. He will come to the league as and undersized two guard and will probably have to do what Kyle Korver did his first year in Philly and that is just provide a three ball spark off the bench. Also if Dalembert is what you mean by Sixers Center then I don't think so because Philly will probably match nearly any offer given to Dalembert, I don't want to get into that though.</div>

Have you seen Stoudamire play. "Problems playing point?" "below average ball handling skills?" You didn't watch that many Arizona games. He was practically their backup point guard when Shakur wasn't in, and he was better. He can drive and dish like Nash, shoot better than Korver, Make free throws, and he can dribble. He's going to be a steal in this draft. I bet you in 5 years him and Ronny Turiaf are the biggest steals in the second round from this years draft.

12. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

As a Rockets fan, I'd rather see us take Simien or Frye before we take Morris...I think JVG will want an experienced player because its extremely likely that he'll be taking a 4 man with the pick, and therefore will want him to be able to contribute right away in some manner...I also would like to take Garcia if we somehow manage to acquire a solid 4 through trade or free agency, because with his length, range and ability, I think Garcia would be the prototypical swingman for the Rockets...

13. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">Have you seen Stoudamire play. "Problems playing point?" "below average ball handling skills?" You didn't watch that many Arizona games. He was practically their backup point guard when Shakur wasn't in, and he was better. He can drive and dish like Nash, shoot better than Korver, Make free throws, and he can dribble. He's going to be a steal in this draft. I bet you in 5 years him and Ronny Turiaf are the biggest steals in the second round from this years draft.</div>

If somebody can shot like Kyle Korver, and drive and dish like the NBA's MVP then let me say Salim Stoudamire should be a lottery pick. First of all he doesn't have the passing ability of Steve Nash, I don't think he has the passing ability of any point guard in the NBA and that is because he is not a point guard. He would have to be a project at the point becasue of his average ball handling skills and his below average passing skills for the NBA. What I am trying to say is that at 6'1" he is too short to be a shooting guard, yet not all the skills are there YET (he can develop them over his NBA career) to play point guard. Basically saying that he is a tweener. He is a great player, with a quick release on his shot and can shoot from anywhere on the court but being 6'1" will kill him.

We are on the same page for Ronny Turiaf though, I believe he will be a steal in this years draft. I don't know myself why he is so low, if the scouts are saying the competition playing in the WCC, then how is Bogut the number one pick if his competition is just a little better. Some say it's Turiaf's offensive game yet he averaged 16 and dropped 40 on Idaho. Though Turiaf was rather inconsistant this past season but he still can score and crash the boards well. If anything I believe that he will be sort of like a poor man's Marcus Camby.

14. CB4 RAPTOR MVP

CB4 RAPTOR MVP JBB JustBBall Member

ur crazy tellin sum1 to pick vazquez over taft. vazquez has such a low ceiling that hes not gona get ne better then he is rite now, best case scenario hell avg 10 and 5 which isnt that great anyway. Taft on the other hand has a huge upside, he admitted he wasnt even tryin very had at pit n he still put up big numbers. if he improves his work ethic n conditioning hell be a great player n future all star. u cant give up all that potential for vazquez. The raps r pickin up taft in the draft n the rest of the league is goin to be bowin down to the taft bosh combo

15. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CB4 RAPTOR MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">ur crazy tellin sum1 to pick vazquez over taft. vazquez has such a low ceiling that hes not gona get ne better then he is rite now, best case scenario hell avg 10 and 5 which isnt that great anyway. Taft on the other hand has a huge upside, he admitted he wasnt even tryin very had at pit n he still put up big numbers. if he improves his work ethic n conditioning hell be a great player n future all star. u cant give up all that potential for vazquez. The raps r pickin up taft in the draft n the rest of the league is goin to be bowin down to the taft bosh combo</div>
    I?m sorry, I beg to differ. Why do you think so? While Vazquez?s upside has been questioned, you can never know for sure with hard workers such as him. He?s strong, athletic, mature and experienced. Taft has a horrible work ethic and wasn?t even a top ranked prospect in high school. He was putting up big numbers at Pittsburgh? Carmelo Anthony put up big numbers, Bosh put up pretty good numbers at Georgia Tech. The most you can say about Taft is that he put up promising numbers as a freshman. When he was a sophomore you?ve got to be kidding me. Since when is 13/7.5 big numbers? Perhaps you should read what Voodoo Child said: ?Against Boone he recorded 7/3, against Francis he recorded 1/6, against Warrick he recorded 8/5, against Powell he recorded 12/6, against D.Jones he recorded 10/6, against Fraser he recorded 10/6, against C.Smith he recorded 12/8, and against the powerful St. Francis (PA), he recorded just 4/2. Are those the numbers of a top ten pick? To put it in perspective, Wayne Simien averaged about 23 points and 11 rebounds per game.? You could learn a lot.

The bottom line is Taft has potential written on him solely because of his body and is a huge risk especially because of the way he?s been playing. Any team that selects him will have to take into consideration the risks that are involved with him. He is the big mystery in the draft.

16. CB4 RAPTOR MVP

I completely disagree with you here. I dont't think that vazquez upside is bad, i know it is. Several scouts that have seen him play keep saying that at best he is going to be a solid rotation player, which is fine unless u want to build a championship unlike the knicks. I agree that tafts work ethic is questionable, which is wut makes him such a great prospect. U look at what he did during his feshmen year (not bad number at all for a freshmen) without trying, imagine what he could have done giving it 100%. If i were a GM ide rather take a chance on a potential all star then be conservative and take a player with such a low celing. TAFT BOSH TAKEOVER NEXT YEAR. BOW DOWN

17. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CB4 RAPTOR MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">I completely disagree with you here. I dont't think that vazquez upside is bad, i know it is. Several scouts that have seen him play keep saying that at best he is going to be a solid rotation player, which is fine unless u want to build a championship unlike the knicks. I agree that tafts work ethic is questionable, which is wut makes him such a great prospect. U look at what he did during his feshmen year (not bad number at all for a freshmen) without trying, imagine what he could have done giving it 100%. If i were a GM ide rather take a chance on a potential all star then be conservative and take a player with such a low celing. TAFT BOSH TAKEOVER NEXT YEAR. BOW DOWN</div>
    According to what scouts saying he has absolutely no upside? While he probably won't be a superstar in the league, he can be a more than solid starter on most teams and as I said before when you have a strong work ethic such as Vazquez, anything can happen. Just want to know, if Vazquez is considered to be so bad, why is he a lottery pick?

Please, stop overrating Taft like this because quite frankly you are making me sick. The only reason why Taft is considered to be this high of a pick is because of his body. I don?t know where he said ?I wasn?t trying when I was a freshman.? My sources are probably not close to yours, so if you would provided me with a link perhaps I could believe you. 10 and 7 is promising, but not great. Kris Humphries put up great numbers as a freshman, Wade put up great numbers as a freshman. There?s a big difference if you haven?t noticed already.

The difference between players like Vazquez and Taft are how hard they try. Vazquez always tries hard and according to you, Taft never tries hard. With Taft you are risking a player who puts up big contract year numbers, and after you overpay him you will be sorry. Vazquez will consistently try and a trying Fran will always be better than a lazy Chris Taft who doesn?t try.

I can?t blame you too much. I too was blinded by the potential or what sources like NBADraft.net had to say, but until you step out of the box and realize that you are completely overrating Taft, I don?t know how to help you. The Raptors are better off with Felton a proven college player than with Chris Taft.

18. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CB4 RAPTOR MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">I completely disagree with you here. I dont't think that vazquez upside is bad, i know it is. Several scouts that have seen him play keep saying that at best he is going to be a solid rotation player, which is fine unless u want to build a championship unlike the knicks. I agree that tafts work ethic is questionable, which is wut makes him such a great prospect. U look at what he did during his feshmen year (not bad number at all for a freshmen) without trying, imagine what he could have done giving it 100%. If i were a GM ide rather take a chance on a potential all star then be conservative and take a player with such a low celing. TAFT BOSH TAKEOVER NEXT YEAR. BOW DOWN</div>

It really depends on a team's situation. The last thing the Knicks need is more scorers on their roster. The Knicks are a few pieces from making it to the playoffs, and a defensive big like Vazquez, ready to contribute now, is the route they should take. The Knicks best chance to win is in the next two years because they will finally have some flexibility with Penny and Tim Thomas expiring contracts. Right now the Knicks have a group of undersized PFs, so adding Vazquez finally gives them a tall player inside who's not afraid to bang and excels at defense.

Chris Taft is going to be a project for any team who drafts him. If a team can afford to wait 3 or 4 seasons for him to MAYBE develop then they should go for it. However, the last thing a team like the Knicks need is a player not ready to play. He won't get a chance to develop in NY either, because he'll be behind Kurt Thomas, Malik Rose, Mike Sweetney, and Mo Taylor.

Chris Taft is not going to get away with being lazy and having a poor work ethic in the NBA. Especially if he plays for New York, the media will crucify him and the Knicks for drafting a bust. Just look at what happened to a lot of physically gifted NBA players with no work ethic and no motivation. Shawn Kemp, Vin Baker, Jerome Moiso, Chris Wilcox, Melvin Ely, and Kwame Brown. The concern for all these players was their lack of intensity and work ethic.

Chris Bosh and Chris Taft play the same position, PF.

19. CB4 RAPTOR MVP

Mr J, all i can say is that well see in 3 years whose better, taft or vazquez though i know taft is a future all star

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CB4 RAPTOR MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">Mr J, all i can say is that well see in 3 years whose better, taft or vazquez though i know taft is a future all star</div>
    I guess we will. I think Shape put it perfectly when he mentioned the unmotivated big men.