Official JustBBall.Com 2006 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'JBB Mock Draft 2005 - 2007' started by Voodoo Child, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

It's good, but some of the picks don't make sense. For example, I really doubt Portland would take Morrison over Thomas or Aldridge. The Magic wouldn't draft two mildly athletic shooting guards in Roy and Gansey and the Sonics wouldn't draft two skinny shooting power forwards in Haryasz and Novak.

And trust me, I would cream my pants at Bobby Jones being taken that high, but it ain't happening.

2. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

Also, why do the Sonics have the 11th pick?

3. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">It's good, but some of the picks don't make sense. For example, I really doubt Portland would take Morrison over Thomas or Aldridge. The Magic wouldn't draft two mildly athletic shooting guards in Roy and Gansey and the Sonics wouldn't draft two skinny shooting power forwards in Haryasz and Novak.

And trust me, I would cream my pants at Bobby Jones being taken that high, but it ain't happening.</div>
    Novak is a big small forward that can shoot, and he isn't skinny at that spot.

4. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">It's good, but some of the picks don't make sense. For example, I really doubt Portland would take Morrison over Thomas or Aldridge. The Magic wouldn't draft two mildly athletic shooting guards in Roy and Gansey and the Sonics wouldn't draft two skinny shooting power forwards in Haryasz and Novak.

And trust me, I would cream my pants at Bobby Jones being taken that high, but it ain't happening.</div>

I would love to draft those 2. They might not be the best athletes, but we don't need anymore future stars with Dwight and Jameer and potentially Darko/Hedo. We need team players who are very versatile. Roy can do everything and Gansey is pretty good at everything. They will both be valuable role players for the future alongside Dwight and Jameer. All great teams have good quality role players.

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">Also, why do the Sonics have the 11th pick?</div>
    The Sonics had the 11th pick during the time we completed this mock.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Didn't read all of it, but it's looking pretty good. Main thing I disagree with is Tyrus Thomas going to Atlanta. From one standpoint, I love the pick (my favorite NBA team, my favorite college player), but from another - I just don't think it should happen, realistically. Thomas is definitely a work in progress offensively, and the last thing the Hawks need is another project. Even on defense, I don't think Thomas will do much more than J. Smith can do. I think the Hawks should trade the pick, all of the top players just don't fit the team, IMO. Try to shop the pick for an NBA-tested PG, or if nothing else, get a couple of lower picks and go after (UConn's) Marcus Williams or Dee Brown, someone who can really push the tempo and give some relief to JJ at point.?</div>

The problem with Atlanta is they aren't just one player away from being a playoff caliber team. Tyrus Thomas is the best avaliable player at the position and gives them a player who approaches the game with a defensive mind set. It's possible the Hawks trade out of the draft or move down, but these mock drafts don't account for trades until they become official. There's a lot of point guards in the draft this year, but the Hawks are better off addressing their point guard position by adding a veteran. Just look at the impact Sam Cassell made for the Clippers this year. He keeps the team composed and focused when they go cold offensively or when teams go on 10 point runs. The Hawks don't really have anyone to manage the game when they are under durress. Speedy Claxton should be someone they look at this summer.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Also, Nick Fazekas. I started a thread earlier about what the Mavs should do, and I'd really like to see them take some kind of specialty guard. In my thread I mentioned Quincy Douby, who has enough PG skills to run the third string, and can obviously light up the scoreboard. I think Hassan Adams would also be a nice pick - a 1,2,3 of Daniels, Adams, and Howard would be vicious in terms of athleticism and defense. But, Fazekas does make some sense. Especially with Van Horn probably hitting the road.

And, if they actually enter the draft, what do you guys think of Mustafa Shakur and (Arizona's) Marcus Williams? Is Shakur good enough to break into the second round? Is Williams good enough for the lottery or just late first?</div>

Shakur needs to go back to Arizona. I don't think a lot of people know Marcus Williams because he plays in the Pac-10. I think he has great upside and has the court vision and ball handling to play PG. He reminds a lot of Shaun Livingston, very smooth player with a lot of athleticism. However, I think he should also spend another year at Zona to bulk up his frame and work on his fundamentals. He's still inconsistent from game to game, and when he struggles, he looks awful.

6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">From what I've read around the Magic forum and from games, they always say Jameer isn't really a true point guard and is like a shooting guard just bringing up the ball, because he is a score/shoot first PG.</div>

Jameer Nelson plays with somewhat of a shoot-first mentality, that's true. However, he was a point guard all through college and has all the necessary tools to run an offense if required. Either way, if you look at him as a shooting guard, he has a leg up on Dee Brown because he creates space for himself off the dribble so well, allowing him to get off clean looks. Dee Brown has just as much quickness and speed, but he doesn't seem to know how to use it to his advantage like that.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">What players do you guys think can be legitimately built around in the future? I'm getting the impression that most of these prospects will be very good role players, instead of franchise players. If its true, I suppose it would be better for Toronto to trade down and draft for need.</div>

I know shape's opinion will be a lot different, but I personally see a few players who have that potential. The first one that comes to mind is Rudy Gay. Outside of his ball handling, his game is nearly flawless, but the reason he's not a consensus #1 at this point is his work ethic. Scouts are really questioning the kid's drive, and that'll likely cause him to slip to the #3-8 range, but if he were to just become more assertive, he's got more potential than just about any other player in the draft. Andrea Bargnani also has the potential to be a franchise player, at least on the offensive end. I personally see him being utilized as a three on the next level, although he'll probably be capable of playing the four and five as well. As a three though, he's very comparable to Dirk Nowitzki, like shape said. He's 7'0" and growing, can consistently knock down three pointers, and unlike a most Euro's touted as the "next Dirk", he can actually put the ball on the floor and has the quickness to create for himself on the offensive end of the floor. Lastly, I can see Adam Morrison becoming a franchise player but don't really anticipate it. He could score in so many different ways at Gonzaga that it was hard to cover him, but the defenders in the NBA are quicker, stronger, and more athletic. He's also got a lot of work to do on the defensive end of the floor, where he'll almost be a liability his first few years into the league. Aside from his weaknesses though, I don't want to count out a player with his drive and his feel for the game. Depending on who drafts him, he's got some franchise potential. I don't see much franchise potential from Aldridge, because of his weight and because of his passive nature. He really needs to become a lot more assertive if he's going to be a go-to-guy on the next level. As for Tyrus Thomas, I'm not sold on him at all. He's too limited offensively to be considered a potential franchise player, and his size could limit him defensively.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I really like the mock guys. Do you guys know if professional NBA scouts check out the site?</div>

Thanks for the compliment, and yes, we've heard that scouts do read our forums.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone! [​IMG]

I'll try to get to everyone else's comments later if shape doesn't.

7. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Chutney:</div><div class="quote_post">What players do you guys think can be legitimately built around in the future? I'm getting the impression that most of these prospects will be very good role players, instead of franchise players. If its true, I suppose it would be better for Toronto to trade down and draft for need.</div>

Andrea Bargnani and/or LeMarcus Aldridge are the two players with the potential to be franchise worthy. I think you can add Yi Jianlian to the short list as well since he is rumored to be entering this year's draft class.

There's a lot of parity this year and even though there's no can't miss superstar like a LeBron James, this draft is talent rich 1 through 60.

8. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Guillermo Diaz needs to prove he can play PG in the NBA before he moves up our mock draft. We're not talking about passing and dribbling either, it's about running and leading an offense. He's the classic tweener and despite his great athleticism, he's only 6'2. Diaz also needs to improve his shooting touch. To be honest, staying an extra year actually hurt Diaz's stock, because he had a disappointing season.

Locke - Yi Jianlian will be in our next mock, along with Leon Powe and some other players who recently declared. VC and I have always been high on his game and upside, he will definitely crack the lottery.

Dee Brown as a Laker is a possibility, but they have already said they are committed to adding a veteran PG in the offseason with their MLE. He's also a little undersized for the prototypical PG, PJax likes in the Triangle offense. Playing in Houston is a better fit for Dee Brown, because Yao Ming is an established post presence.

Last year Houston averaged 17 attempts from behind the arc, but only made 5 a game. So despite Yao creating those opportunities for his teammates, the team shot only 33% and ranked 4th worst in the league this year.

Tiago might be a stretch and we put him in Chicago for two reasons...

A) The Bulls might not have roster space next year depending on the offseason and who they keep or bring in. They can stash Tiago overseas for now.

[​IMG] Chicago could stand to lose Songalia, Allen, & Harrington to free agency. If they don't retain any of them the frontcourt depth disappears leaving only Chandler, Sweetney, and Aldridge.

Brian - I wrote the two explanations for both Laker picks, and I would be happy with both Nemanja and Denham. However, with the additions in our next mock, the Lakers should be able to get even better talent at #26.

Eric Hicks - He's on the bubble at this point. His showing at Portsmouth was solid, but he didn't really do anything spectacular. Struggling with outside shot didn't help his draft stock at all. He needs to show scouts that he will have ability to play SF in the NBA.</div>

Diaz had a good season in one of the best conferences. He just came off an injury from last season, and he played with the injury all season long. He became a basketball player this season instead of an athelete. Diaz's shooting very good.

This tweener talk is played out, guys like Gordon, House, Barbosa, Head, Robinson, Tony Allen, Salim Stodimire, Dooling...all their height doesn't stop them being a productive NBA player.

Diaz's passing has improved alway if you seen him play this season, his 3 assist is career high, and Diaz plays off guard. He only averaged 2 turnovers on 17 points, so he's efficent and productive with the basketball.

Diaz is a late first rounder. He's a NBA player cause he's always in attack mode, thats his style.

Sacramento are looking for guards, Wells is expiring next season, and they haven't had a replacable since Bobby Jackson. and Diaz is very similar to Bobby Jackson. Diaz is capable of being an explosiveness bench player for a good team.

Diaz >>> Aaron Gray.

9. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Diaz doesn't have the consistent J to be compared with Ben Gordon, Luther Head, Salim Stoudamire, etc. And he lacks the point guard skills to be compared to Bobby Jackson. Undersized players like Diaz don't have the luxury of being one-dimensional. They have to show that they can do a variety of things well, whether its defending, shooting, or passing. Really, all I've seen from Diaz is the ability to drive and dunk.

10. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Chutney:</div><div class="quote_post">Diaz doesn't have the consistent J to be compared with Ben Gordon, Luther Head, Salim Stoudamire, etc. And he lacks the point guard skills to be compared to Bobby Jackson. Undersized players like Diaz don't have the luxury of being one-dimensional. They have to show that they can do a variety of things well, whether its defending, shooting, or passing. Really, all I've seen from Diaz is the ability to drive and dunk.</div>

Diaz has improved his passing this season with 3 dimes a game playing off guard. Diaz doesn't play point guard in Miami's system cause Dennis Clemente and Harris are shoter guards who are known as shoot first PG's. Miami doesn't have any wing players and only one solid big men, so Miami has to play small, and Diaz has to play the 3 or off the ball. To consider he averages 3 assist is impressive.

All you've seen were high lights of Diaz on ESPN, not him in the game.

I see Diaz as a Barbosa type guy who can give you 12 points off the bench with his speed and quickness and jumpshooting.

He is a good combo guard, and thats what the NBA is getting loaded with, because of the new rules, look at Arenas, Wade, Charlie Bell..etc etc etc. Height isn't a turnoff anymore, cause these 6"2-6"3-6"4 guards are proving they can be productive for their teams.

I feel you're looking at 3pt% and declaring Diaz as not a consistant shooter.

Diaz has a an affect mid-range pull up shot if he Hite or Harris can't create their own shot, or if King isn't open in the post. Diaz has a great stroke, great elevation, terrific quick release, and great high arching shot on his jumper, he's hard to block consider for a 6"2 Combo guard.

I feel you guys lean on stats to match and to basketball. Miami dribbles the ball too much with guys like Harris and Hite who aren't pass first guards, so Diaz had to force up alot of 3's this season, he's a much better shooter than 36%.

Diaz is one of the most atheletic players in the draft, he's going to get alot of attention from teams, especially with the sucesses of those combo guards I listed.

11. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Salim For 3:</div><div class="quote_post">And, if they actually enter the draft, what do you guys think of Mustafa Shakur and (Arizona's) Marcus Williams? Is Shakur good enough to break into the second round? Is Williams good enough for the lottery or just late first?</div>

I know Shakur would be a 2nd round pick because of the weak PG class right now, he could possibly sneak into the 1st round with a good showing @ Orlando. This mock was made after the championship so everybody isn't in it yet. Marcus Williams would be a mid-1st round pick for sure, lottery would be nice but I have feeling he's coming back to Zona.

12. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">I know Shakur would be a 2nd round pick because of the weak PG class right now, he could possibly sneak into the 1st round with a good showing @ Orlando. This mock was made after the championship so everybody isn't in it yet. Marcus Williams would be a mid-1st round pick for sure, lottery would be nice but I have feeling he's coming back to Zona.</div>

Hopefully Marcus Williams goes to the Knicks, we need a real SG instead of a one dememtional SG's.

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

You guys haven't fallen off since last year. Nice work.

I wouldn't select those players with the Knicks' pick, but they seem very Larry Brown-ish. I also think there's a very strong possibility we'll be packaging our draft picks. I think we're pretty much set with young guys; Brown wants to win now.

Again, nice job and I look forward to the next version with more information on the players.

Just a quick question: may you tell me more about that Mouhamed guy you have the Suns picking?

14. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

Ager would be a solid choice, IMO. Damon Jones has been very incosistent, Hughes can't stay healthy, and Marshall isn't getting any younger. This team needs another explosive athlete and solid shooter to go along with LeBron and Ager would provide this team with just that.

I've got to see C.J. Watson play at Tennessee for the past four years and i've said all along that I think he can be a solid contributor in the NBA...especially if you place him in the right style of offense(like the Cavs' offense, which likes to run). Watson can stroke it from anywhere on the floor if you give him enough room and is great at finding the open man; he averaged 5 assists his first three seasons, and 3.9 this season, but he improved his offensive game and shot 46% from the field and 42% from beyond the arc.

The Gray pick would be just fine with me, too. Gooden will likely walk away this summer and the Cavs need to get someone to groom behind Varejao. Gray is the physical post-player that this team has been looking for since Boozer left.

Overall, this was a very, very good mock, fellas. [​IMG]

15. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

i can gurantee that morrison won't go number ONE. two reasons for people traditionally drafting a dude number one overall (1) unrealized talent (2) big man. morrison doesn't fit these two criteria of mine.

16. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

Excuse me if someone else already posted this question but I'm wondering why guys like Marcus Williams and Leon Powe weren't put in this draft. Nor were San Diego St. standouts Brandon Heath and Marcus Slaughter. I've heard that both of those players are talented enough to survive in this league past their first contract.

This mock draft was very well organized and thought out but I just have to question how high some of your picks are. I know that I've seen on some sites that Ronnie Brewer was a possible lottery pick but he is so unpolished offensively that I couldn't even imagine him being picked in the lottery, let alone to Seattle who really prides themselves on having skilled perimeter players.

I don't believe, w/ Adam Morrison's medical condition, that he will be the first player selected in the draft. I think that is something that should have been highlighted considering that as most players begin to hit their physical peak in their mid 20's, Morrison will probably be on the decline of his career by the end of rookie deal. His upside is such that he could easily peak after his third season in the league. Just ask guys Wally Sczerbiak (sp.?) how difficult it is to play at an All-Star level when you can't beat your man off of the dribble. Morrison's legs will not allow for him to be a perennial NBA All-Star (although I do think he has the competitive spirit to be one at some point in his career).

I think that when doing a mock draft, it make sense to pick the BAP and then see how the draft order will pan out before you start making predictions. Teams needs often are the reason why players are selected over other players who have better reputations and the teams that fill their needs in the draft are normally the ones who get the more impactful player (see Chris Paul/Deron Williams selections and compare them to that of Marvin Williams). Until you know the exact order as to what teams are going to pick where it doesn't make sense to do a mock draft that is speculating on how well a certain player will fit in.

To be honest, I'd rather see a mock draft where each team needs are specified and an order in which they would select players to fill those needs. This way the lottery selection show wouldn't necessarily affect a mock draft as much as it does with the current way that most people do their drafts. Good NBA GM's target players that they assume they have a chance at getting but still have a draft board that they know instantly who they are going to select regardless if their top choices are off of the board. That would be an interesting way of getting the attention of people on the board.

For example:

Seattle (possible draft selections 1st round 1,2,3--10)

Needs: Backcourt depth. Wing defensive stopper.

After the trades that brought Chris Wilcox and Earl Watson to Seattle the Sonics addressed their needs for the future. They plan on resigning Wilcox and offering contract extensions for Luke Ridnour and Nick Collison. Robert Swift and Johan Petro made huge strides this season and have cemented themselves as future stalwarths on the Sonics frontline. Ray Allen is coming off a career season statiscally where he broke the single season record for most 3 pointers in a season. Rashard Lewis also was solid but could be looking at unrestricted free agency if he doesn't sign an extension with the Sonics this offseason.

Ray Allen did not have a solid back up all season. He logged a career high in minutes partly b/c he was replaced by two players (Earl Watson and Damien Wilkins) who are not prototypical shooting guards. 2nd round draft pick Mickaƫl Gelabale is expected to come in and compte for reserve shooting guard minutes. Last season the Sonics were one of the worst defensive teams in NBA history. They have only three players on their roster (Watson, Wilkins, and Collison) who have reputations for being solid defenders.

1 - LaMarcus Aldridge - With the possibility of having to overspend to keep Wilcox the Sonics can use Aldridge as either a bargaining chip to address other needs or make players like Collison and or Swift/Petro expendable.

2 - Tyus Thomas - The Sonics were one of the worst shot blocking teams in the league and Thomas would fit in extremely well with the Sonics uptempo style of basketball

3 - Rudy Gay - With the potential of losing Rashard Lewis in 2007 free agency Gay could find himself being positioned to fill the starting small forward spot.

10 - Brandon Roy - Local product could slide between both shooting guard and small forward spot. Would help the Sonics tremendously on defense
    - Randy Foye - Combo guard capable of being an instant offense guy off of the bench while also being able to guard the best perimeter player on the opposition
    - Rajon Rondo - Luke Ridnour's defensive deficiencies have plagued Seattle and in the event of his departure Rondo could step in and be a solid play maker and a lock down defender.

17. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

I know Morrison is the hometown kid and Portland are struggling to gather local support, but would they really pass up two blue chip big guys for that reason? Randolph wants out, they've just drafted Webster the local kid last year, and I'm not sure they could pass up both Aldridge and Thomas.

18. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">Also, why do the Sonics have the 11th pick?</div>

Because we had the 11th pick when the NCAA Tourney ended.

19. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting j0se:</div><div class="quote_post">Diaz had a good season in one of the best conferences. He just came off an injury from last season, and he played with the injury all season long. He became a basketball player this season instead of an athelete. Diaz's shooting very good.

This tweener talk is played out, guys like Gordon, House, Barbosa, Head, Robinson, Tony Allen, Salim Stodimire, Dooling...all their height doesn't stop them being a productive NBA player.

Diaz's passing has improved alway if you seen him play this season, his 3 assist is career high, and Diaz plays off guard. He only averaged 2 turnovers on 17 points, so he's efficent and productive with the basketball.

Diaz is a late first rounder. He's a NBA player cause he's always in attack mode, thats his style.

Sacramento are looking for guards, Wells is expiring next season, and they haven't had a replacable since Bobby Jackson. and Diaz is very similar to Bobby Jackson. Diaz is capable of being an explosiveness bench player for a good team.

Diaz >>> Aaron Gray.</div>

Aren't those comparisons a little, too conveniant? For every one of those guys, there's at least 5 or 6 tweeners who didn't last in the NBA. Those players you listed all shoot better than Diaz and proved during pre-draft camps they can play PG.

If Diaz shows in workouts or in the predraft camps he can run a team, then he definitely move up the mock. Right now he hasn't had the opportunity yet, so it's a question mark surrounding his draft status.

20. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iron Shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">Excuse me if someone else already posted this question but I'm wondering why guys like Marcus Williams and Leon Powe weren't put in this draft. Nor were San Diego St. standouts Brandon Heath and Marcus Slaughter. I've heard that both of those players are talented enough to survive in this league past their first contract.</div>

We completed the draft prior to Leon Powe and Marcus Williams declaring. They will both be in our updated mock. Marcus Slaughter was on the bubble and Brandon Heath said he's closer to returning back to San Diego State.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sir Desmond:</div><div class="quote_post">I know Morrison is the hometown kid and Portland are struggling to gather local support, but would they really pass up two blue chip big guys for that reason? Randolph wants out, they've just drafted Webster the local kid last year, and I'm not sure they could pass up both Aldridge and Thomas.</div>

Again, it's just a timing issue with the mock and recent suspension of Zach Randolph. We completed the mock before the incident took place. The Blazers are struggling financially even though they drafted local product Martell Webster last season. Adam Morrison has the ability to become the face of the franchise, which would make the sale of the team even more attractive.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting iron shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">I think that when doing a mock draft, it make sense to pick the BAP and then see how the draft order will pan out before you start making predictions. Teams needs often are the reason why players are selected over other players who have better reputations and the teams that fill their needs in the draft are normally the ones who get the more impactful player (see Chris Paul/Deron Williams selections and compare them to that of Marvin Williams). Until you know the exact order as to what teams are going to pick where it doesn't make sense to do a mock draft that is speculating on how well a certain player will fit in.</div>

We agree, but with the college season over and the NBA regular season winding down, we wanted to get an early start on speculating who could go where based on team needs.

The NBA just announced the draft order, with the exception of the lottery.