Official LeBron to the Bulls thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, May 13, 2010.

1. JayJohnstone

JayJohnstone Active Member

Your whole argument is Fail

If you have found stats that show Lebron is better than Jordan, certainly the same stats can show who the greatest retired players are in order, right? Because you think stats show all.

I've asked, asked and asked for this list and per your link above, you pull out some inner circle crap that doesn't even rank players. :lol: And doesn't even know Karl Malone never got a ring.

Let's see the list. If you can't produce a list, then it's pretty clear that you cherry picked some advance stats. Talk about subjective.

2. JayJohnstone

Just for fun. Let's look at this with stats only.

For combined seasons, in the regular season, from 1946-47 to 2009-10, from age 21 to 25, requiring Player Efficiency Rating >= 22 and Minutes Played >= 300

Jordan #1 in PER at 29.6
    Lebron #4 in PER at 28.8

Jordan is better in the playoffs, too

http://www.basketball-reference.com...tat=dws&c4comp=gt&c4val=.1&order_by=ws_per_48

For combined seasons, in the playoffs, from 1946-47 to 2009-10, from age 21 to 25, sorted by descending Win Shares Per 48 Minutes. and Minutes Played >= 300

Jordan #6, Lebron #11

For combined seasons, in the regular season, from 1946-47 to 2009-10, from age 21 to 25, sorted by descending Win Shares Per 48 Minutes.

Jordan #3, Lebron #5.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Aparrently the two most important metrics, and Jordan is ahead in both metrics both in the regular season and the playoffs. :devilwink:

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Pippen and those players played with and developed with Jordan on the court. Pip had a great season without Jordan, but it was already a machine, it was just missing a really big part.

4. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.

Notice, I circled "playoffs".

Cavs are ranked in red, for comparison purposes.

[​IMG]

Hakeem can't touch LeBron's run.

Mo and Jamison have 13 PER, LeBron has 37.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  5. huevonkiller

Student.
    Yet, you're trying to use PER now, which means you just invalidated all your complaining.

Where did I say, those are my exact rankings, or that I can't rank them? That doesn't make any sense.

You don't understand tiers apparently, which are still rankings, Now if you want precise rankings that's easy, just look at career WS in regular and post-season, combine both and apply AV. That's almost all of it.

Easy, except you don't even know what PER is.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. JayJohnstone

Your blind adherence to statistics are showing. Your bias towards Lebron is also showing how you ignore Shaq.

7. huevonkiller

Student.
    Epic miss.

LeBron was Born December 30, 1984, do the math.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...m=1&p1=jamesle01&y1=2010&p2=jordami01&y2=1988

8. huevonkiller

Student.
    Then why do you keep trying to use PER, only to have me point out your flaws?

9. JayJohnstone

Re-read the thread. But it's off-topic at this point now that you have given the "magic" formula.

WS is easy enough. How does one apply AV?

Just looking at career WS for Regular season, Karl Malone is way better than Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. So I am anxious to see how AV effects this. Otherwise, these Career PER and WS/min look much better.

Is this because Jordan's is better for his career or better from age 21-25? Or another reason?

10. JayJohnstone

Dude, build a web-site that with the tools that basketball-reference.com has with your own definition of player's age & I will be glad to do the math. Alternatively, why don't you do the math and post your spreadsheet.

11. huevonkiller

Student.
    So Pippen had his career year when Jordan was retired?

If Jordan's presence made Pippen, he should have not been able to continue on at that pace. By replacing Jordan's win shares with some mediocre guard's winshares, that accounts for the win increases precisely.

12. huevonkiller

Student.
    You can't do elementary math, that just reflects on you dude.

February 17, 1963.

December 30, 1984.

That's the last time I mention this brah, calculate their birthdates and tell me why the heck I would use 26 year old Jordan.

13. huevonkiller

Student.
    Imma beast, AV eliminates garbage seasons like MJ had with the Wizards.

I told you a long time ago that was a basis for me, you just change subjects so much.

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Misdirection.

If Pippen were drafted by (traded to) the Bulls and they didn't have Jordan, then Pippen likely would not have turned into a player who could play at the level he did. Get it?

15. JayJohnstone

How is MJ's seasons with the Wizards garbage? By PER, they are 2 of the 10 best seasons of all time for a player 38 or older.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...t&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=ws

Actually, you keep changing the subject. What's the magic formula?

Again, once you have carrer WS (regular season+playoffs), how do you apply AV?

16. JayJohnstone

If it's good enough for basketball-research, it's good enough for me.

Besides even if Lebron were as far ahead of Jordan with your definition of age as Jordan is ahead of Lebron with basketball-research, then we would be down to the subjective portion of the evaluation. Otherwise, David Robinson would be a lock for all-time top 5 player.

17. huevonkiller

Student.
    So Jordan didn't understand the game of basketball until 28 years old, and then he became some magical teacher all of a sudden? And he didn't teach any other player how to be a Hall of Famer...

Seems pretty far fetched, you have to admit. And in addition you want me to give him credit as the under 25 GOAT? Doesn't make sense to me Denny..

18. huevonkiller

Student.
    Lol you're going to defend one of the biggest ball hog seasons ever? ;)

AV is beast, because it doesn't reward padding.

I mentioned it to you already in this thread, the exact formula for it. :) That's what happens when you skim over so much.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  19. huevonkiller

Student.
    Because no one has, 23.9 years old and 23.75 years old in an age column. So stop being vague, like you enjoy being with numbers. This is an under 25 debate. When LeBron turns 26 I'll inform you.

He's still ahead of Jordan regardless, except you're not understanding another stat. They're 10 months apart in age in your scenario, compared to 2 with my calculation.

Incorrect, tell me where I have ignored PLAYOFF winshares and PER? You're the one doing that, not me. David Robinson doesn't have the same playoff winshares and PER as other superstars.My methods are better because instead of "blindly" giving credit for titles, I only give you credit based on how well you played. Which is what matters.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    From where are you making this shit up?

All I said was Pippen developed his game playing with Jordan. If he didn't have Jordan on the team, he'd have been a very different and likely lesser player, IMO. Jordan started his career at SF, and Pippen was a bench player. Jordan was asked to play PG for about 1/2 to 2/3 of a season and said he hated it (though nearly averaged a triple double). The Lakers had Magic and to win championships you had to go through the Lakers. Pippen became a big PG on offense to be the Bulls' answer to Magic. If Jordan weren't on the team, I don't see any of that happening.

As a traditional SF, Pip was rather ordinary in Houston. As not the number one guy, he was a champion 6 times in chicago and led the Blazers to some amazing runs from the PG spot there.

I don't care who's the "under 25 GOAT." It's absurd and arbitrary - just as arbitrary as saying Jordan is the better of the two because he had 63 points in a playoff game against the Celtics.

The only thing relevant to LeBron and Jordan is that IF (big IF) LeBron continues to improve and IF (big IF) he wins at least 6 titles, then he's in the GOAT discussion.

As it stands now, I can think of several players I think are greater than LeBron, and you can start with Kareem. Since you're lowering the bar to something less than a full career, Walton would be up there as well, and Hakeem, and Shaq, and Wilt (obviously) and West and Baylor and Dr. J and Magic and Bird and McHale...

Right now he's up there with the Bob McAdoo and Dominique Wilkins bunch.