Official next years team thread.

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Sep 27, 2020.

1. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Our best targets for what we are looking for were always going to be via trade. We'll see if Gorton is able to put a deal together. Not surprised at all that we didnt get a big name in FA to fill the holes we have been discussing here.

Tyler Johnson cleared. Tampa is absolutely stuck. I wonder if this puts Cirelli back in play.

NYR Fan likes this.
  2. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

Strome and DeAngelo both filed for arbitration. Doesn't really change anything as the deadline was today at 5 I believe.

Georgiev and Lemieux filed as well.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  3. NYR Fan

Hall signs with Buffalo, 1-year for 8 mill. Surprising he would sign with a bad team like Buffalo. I guess there were no big money deals out there for him, so he said have a great year playing on Eichel's wing, maybe we can surprise and win some games, and worst case he has great stats and can sign a big multi-year deal next off-season. A bit of a gamble, but we'll see.

One big fish left, and I would guess he'll sign with Vegas soon, I think he was meeting with them this weekend.

4. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

If Cozens plays some and they get decent goaltending they could be a WC team.

5. Ranger71

Sounds like if Pietrangelo signs they will trade Schmidt for Roslovic.

6. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

No they won't. They suck moose dick. Hall is a losing player.

7. NYR Fan

Pietrangelo to Vegas, 7 years 8.8 per.

8. kreidertime

Morons. That's an absurd contract and will haunt them sooner than later. He will not be the difference there. Senile, dumb fuck Lou had to trade Toews for 2 second rounders because he has no clue how to manage the cap.

9. NYR Fan

Doesn't sound like we are going to do much:

Gorton on signing Jack Johnson: Jacques Martin led the charge to bring him in, he’s a PK guy, insurance for kids not making it (Miller, Hajek, Reunanen).

Gorton on what’s next: Still looking to see what is out there, but it does not seem the Rangers are going to do anything big.

“We want to play well this season, whenever this season is — whenever it starts and wherever it starts. We don’t have any idea. We want to get, of course, harder and grittier as we move along here. But when we manage a hockey club, we have to think about today, tomorrow and the future.”

To me it appears as if he wants to take this one year to clear a bunch of dead/bad cap hits (Shatt/Hank/Smith), and give the kids a shot to learn and work through growing pains. Then next off-season I would guess he'll make the move to be a contender.

I would guess Strome out (after he signs a one-year deal - and most likely dealt in season). The kids on D ready and Lundqvist here. Upfront Kakko and Lafreniere ready to be studs in years 3 and 2 respectively. Gorton needs to be careful as raises will be due to kids, and after 2 more seasons Ziban's cap hit could double from 5 and change to 10 and change, but this appears to be the path. Stay the course for one season, get rid of all bad deals, and then go for it.

10. NYR Fan

Makes you think:

Lafreniere/Ziban/Buch or Kreider
    Panarin/Strome/Kakko
    Buch or Kreider/Chytil/Gauthier
    Lemieux/Howden/Kid

Not a bad group at all with two top level lines. Need Chytil to take a step forward. Also don't love Buch on the 3rd line, so I almost think they have to find a home for him with Ziban if he stays.

Johnson or Miller or Reunanen or Hajek or Smith/Trouba
    Lindgren/Fox
    Johnson or Miller or Reunanen or Hajek or Smith/DeAngelo

Questionable D at best unless kids take big step this year.

11. theProdigy223

While it’s frustrating we haven’t found a trade (yet) for a 2C or an upgrade at LD, it’s not as if there were deals being made left and right that we missed out on. The market in general was rather quiet, especially so for the type of player we want. Can’t get desperate and overpay. Gorts was clearly trying- he all but admitted they were waiting to qualify Strome because they were trying to trade him. There might have been some dominoes after that.

As of right now I think Chuck’s lines look generally right. That 4th line would look way better with Fast there. Barron probably takes that.

12. NYR Fan

I will tell you this, as we sit here today I am a big believer in putting Kreider on the 3rd line with Chytil. His leadership and steadiness would be good for Chytil I think. Also allows Lefreniere and Kreider to stay as LW's, and Buch is much better off in a top 6 role than on the 3rd line (I don't like anything about Chytil and Buch on the same line). And Kreider could still be on the 1st PP unit.

To me the one potential drawback is a vet leader, which Krieder is, getting bumped down to the 3rd line in favor of a rookie Lafreniere. Does that cause any issues or concerns within the team. If not I go with Kreider and Chytil as a very good base for my 3rd line. And Lemieux and Howden as a very good base for my 4th line.

The forwards would be real strong. The D...yeah that's very much a work in progress and most likely will depend on how the kids perform/are they ready to determine if next year is a playoff year.

13. kreidertime

That's because you fucking smoke crack. Breaking up Kreider with Zibanejad when they have had great chemistry from day one would be the dumbest thing you could do. Fuck Buchnevich. That sulking bitch has done nothing to deserve top 6 minutes. They need to get rid of that asswipe. Buchnevich is the perfect example of a losing player.

14. NYR Fan

Bottom line, if Buch is here putting him on the 3rd line with Chytil would be a disaster. IMO you cannot put those two guys together. Plus someone has to play RW on the Ziban line, and both Kreider and Lafreniere are LW's. I would think Kreider would move before Lafreniere because I don't think you want a rookie to learn the league and change positions, but moving from LW to RW may be no big deal to him.

15. theProdigy223

haha come on, you cant rip Buchnevich for "sulking" (which I dont really agree is even happening) in one breath, then try to defend Lias who sulked so hard he fled the damn country and is still out there publicly whining about it.

There's no reason Buchnevich should be the new whipping boy. He's not a special player but he's 25 and is perfectly serviceable. Past 2 seasons hes on a 50+ point pace. His numbers arent far off from Kreider's. If we can trade him for an upgrade somewhere else that's fine, but Im not sure what else was expected out of him to justify the hatred. In my opinion he he was always going to be a victim of being the only forward in our system worth a damn and probably had unrealistic expectations attached to him in the first place. At the end of the day he was a third round pick who at 25 has carved out a nice career, and worked his ass off to fill out his frame and bring a bit more of a physical edge to his game. He had none of that when he came over.

It would be tough to break up Kreider and Zib but as I said in another threat Kreider's most dangerous offensive move is streaking up the left boards protecting the puck, and he needs to stay on the left wing. He has to stay on that side. I dont think a Chytil-Buchnevich pairing is the worst thing in the world but that line would definitely scare me in the d zone.

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  16. theProdigy223

At the end of the day, Buchnevich is probably going to be traded. He's in a very similar situation Hagelin was in given his position, contract situation and the next guys in line. I made a thread about why Hagelin was the odd man out a few months before he was traded. I can see the same thing happening with Buch next summer when he's an RFA coming off his bridge. Hopefully we find something better than Emerson fucking Etem for him.

17. NYR Fan

The D zone is exactly my point Prod. Chytil doesn't win faceoffs, neither guy is a physical player or very strong on the puck - especially Chytil, neither guy is very responsible in their own end. I think it would be a bad thing to pair those two together.

With regards to a Buch trade, for the right return I deal him for sure, but at this point I doubt it happens before next season. It doesn't seem like much is happening right now.

18. Ranger71

We do have the cap space at least to maybe make a trade DL move if they feel the team is solidily in a playoff spot next spring. Winning one round would be a success given the overall age of the team which is still probably the youngest. The folllowing year is when you have thoughts of playing into late May++.

19. kreidertime

Please. When Buchnevich struggles offensively he sits on the bench and practically cries. It's fucking embarrassing. Lias was too young to encounter a dickhead like Quinn. He was immature. Big difference. Buchnevich was 25 last year sitting on the bench practically crying like a bitch.

20. Ranger71

Buch cares which is good but his body language can be hard to watch at times and i think hurts him during subsequent shifts in games. He's become a pretty good player but i think he could be one of the first chips if it led to improving things.