Official Petition to Trade _______ for a defensive big

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by cmeese47, Dec 19, 2013.

1. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

Ya 22-5 is great how many playoff series or games has this team won zero. I believe the team needs some extra front court help to succeed in the playoffs.

2. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

freeland is a defensive big and he backs up lopez, id trade freeland for freeland.

3. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Let's see us in the post season before you make this comment. How many had this team win with any upgrade we bring in? Yes the same "zero".

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    The Blazers haven't lost a single playoff game with our current team. I say roll with what we've got.

J/K We will most likely in fact roll into the playoffs with what we've got, but I don't got faith in our bench. Some kind of upgrade would be nice.

If not: Go Blazers!

5. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    At 25 years old Batum is already a top 10ish SF in the NBA, why on earth would you trade him for a back up big? That'd be a terrible move in my opinion.

I think us Blazer fans tend to fixate on our own team so much that we become oblivious to how our guys actually compare to other players in the rest of the league. Does anyone think that Batums B personality and all round game is actually a huge plus for team chemistry? I'm not saying he'll never be an alpha dog but having to many of those guys is not good for team chemistry.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  6. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

op hates batum, the only thing he hates more than batum is the fact that he was wrong about batum being a flop

7. cmeese47

First of all I have never said I hated Batum or said he would be a flop. What I said and what thousands of other have said is he was not living up to his potential. I also said I did not feel he was worth the 11 million a year he signed for. Batum remains an above average SF but he is not an all star and he is arguably the fifth most important piece on this team.

Additionally, I never suggested trading Batum for a back up big I said trade him for a starting caliber big or the trade I suggested was Batum for Tony Allen, Quincy Pondexter and Kosta Koufous. Tony Allen is a better defender by far than Batum he can also serve as the glue guy for the team. Pondexter was included before I knew he was out for the season. Koufous is a solid back up capable of starting a few games if needed. Swap Bayless for Pondexter and I think it is a good deal but that is just me. I would rather see the team bundle up some end of the bench pieces and try and get someone like Koufous more of Olshey's patented something for a little more than nothing deals.

8. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Batum has been pivotal on most of our wins. You are overlooking how he's defended the best wing, plus sets the offense.

I was one that thought 11mil was too much, but he has earned his money this season. I was wrong, just like you are.

9. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Official Petition to Trade cmeese47 for a defensive big

By definition a defensive big is a one-dimensional player who can't be relied on as an offensive weapon. We have several of them already.

A wiser path would be teaching our current players basic defensive skills, and give them enough PT to develop them.

10. cmeese47

I am asking for an elite defender but since very few of them are available someone well rounded to serve as Lopez light would be helpful.

11. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    He's around the 11th highest paid player at his position. He's fairly paid imo.

You said:
    Sounds like a back up. Batum might be an overrated defender, but I think you seriously undervalue his all round game.

I agree. But weakening the starting five to do so is unwise.

Once again sounds like a back up. You definitely suggested trading Batum for a back up.
    Anyway, it's cool if your whipping boy is Batum just be prepared to take shit for an unpopular opinion. :cheers:

12. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Thank you. You were not alone in posters who didn't want to match (if that was your position). But given how he has performed AND he and his 11 million dollar contract could easily be traded for good value shows he was worth the contract.

I've made wrong calls too (Darius Miles still hurts), but how can one can continue to argue Batum isn't worth the contract is where I get lost.

13. cmeese47

This is selective reading at best. It clearly says if including Batum try and target a starting caliber center. The whole goal of this is come up with a trade that will net us a quality big. I clearly said I would like to build a package around Leonard in the original post.

I later offered a Batum trade which added a back up PG a capable starter and elite defender in Tony Allen and a solid back up big in Koufos.

I also clearly said I would rather see the team bundle up some end of the bench pieces and get a guy like Koufous.

14. The_Lillard_King

Really wasn't clear where you were going with Batum. You made a list of players and didn't put any starters on that list but Batum. Made it sound like you were lumping Batum in with bench players rather than the starters. Jut an odd list to put him on . . .

15. cmeese47

It really depends on where you rank Batum when he signed the deal I did not feel he was a top 10 SF. He has improved and others have fallen off so he is now a top 10 player. I had not mentioned Batum's salary at all this year nor would I have but since I was accused of hating Batum I felt discussion was needed.

Batum is NOT better than Durant, Lebron, Melo or George that much is not up for debate. In my opinion I would rather have someone like Chandler Parsons, Luol Deng and Kwahi Leonard as well. That leaves Batum 8th on my list which is about where he will be ranked pay wise after this season.

Smith is close and often better when he does not shoot mid range jumpers, Galinari is hurt but has been as good if not better when healthy. Iguodala is a much better defender and offers similar stats and last Rudy Gay who would be better if he was not such a chucker.

If he continues to prove better than Smith, Galinari, Iggy and Gay then he might be worth the 11 million if he drops out of the top 10 then we are absolutely overpaying.

16. cmeese47

That is because I feel Batum would net the best return value and he right now IMO has been only the fifth most valuable starter. Batum was a guy I felt could return multiple pieces whereas the bottom of our bench would be lucky to land any piece. Still I am not just going to trade Batum for any old back up.

17. The_Lillard_King

You are making this too complicated. Pretty sure there are a lot of teams who would take Batum at 11 million (know Minny would take him in a heart beat) . . . and would even give value back to get Batum. So talking Nic's market value, if it is safe to assume others teams would pay 11 million for Nic, then he is not overpaid. With regard to the Blazers, pretty sure Olshey would match that contact again in a blink of an eye.

18. The_Lillard_King

But if you think at best he might be worth the 11 million and there is a possibility we are absolutely overpaying . . . wouldn't you be anxious to dump a contract like that?

19. cmeese47

There is a reason the NBA always need an amnesty clause and it is because NBA owners suck at deciding fair value just ask Utah how it feels to pay Jefferson and Biedrens 20 plus million this year.

Would other teams pay Batum 11 million yep whether that is a good deal is debatable. Right now I am happy with his production but I was to start last year too at the end not so much.

20. cmeese47

Yah if I want in New York or Miami but this is Portland our cap space is virtually meaningless. Portland is not winning titles, the weather is considered terrible, our state income tax is high and we are a small market meaning to sign someone we virtually have to over pay. In addition, at worst Batum is an 8 million a year player so 11 while arguably to high is not bad enough to just dump, his contract is not Joe Johnson, it is not Ben Gordon bad. Therefore I only move Batum if I think I can make the team better.