OFFICIAL Pre-pre-pre Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, May 5, 2015.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Really? Can't he get an extra year and a higher % increase each year? Or did they change that?
    Obviously we can't sign him and then turn around and trade him to somebody he didn't want to go to ("Psych!") But if I'm right and you're wrong and you CAN get more with a sign and trade, then we have some leverage.

2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I didn't think you could do a sign and trade for more years either, but this says differently.
    They could be wrong.......

What is Sign and Trade Agreements?

A sign and trade agreement is a trade made in the NBA in which a potential free-agent is signed by their team and then immediately traded to another team. This structure exists because a free agent's team would be left without any compensation if their free agent signs with another team.

Sporting Charts explains Sign and Trade Agreements
    A player may want a sign-and-trade because it allows the player to get a bigger salary for more years than if they just signed with another team. Again, this is the result of the NBA's CBA, which allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for longer and for more money than other teams. This rule is designed to allow teams to have an advantage when trying to re-sign their own free agents. The teams seeking to sign such a player will benefit by getting the player of their choice, while the player's original team gains something in return for their free agent. A team agreeing to a sign-and-trade may not renege on the agreement and keep the signed player; they must trade him.
    http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nba/sign-and-trade-agreements.aspx

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

it was changed in the new cba. Only team that can offer 5 years and 7.5% raises is current team. Sign and trade and new signing is heels to 4/4.5%

4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Soooo rooting for LA to get out of top 5 in the lotto, and that pick goes to PHI leaving the lakers with nothing.

5. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    You're right!
    Never mind then.

6. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    If NY keeps this pick I bet they go Winslow instead of Mudiay.

7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Winslow will be a good a player but I'm not sure he would fit well in NY.I think Porzingis or WTCS would be better fit picks.

8. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    This is the year to buy into the second round.

Mickey - Led the Nation in blocks after Upshaw was dismissed. Great timing, quick leaper.

Cheistmas - Ben Wallace clone from a physical standpoint - 6'8.25" w/o shoes | 7'5" wingspan | 9'3" reach. Age will likely keep him out of the first-round. The same thing happened to Taj Gibson.

9. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Obekpa is another Ben Wallace clone, but I think he is staying another year in college (Could be had with our 2nd round Knicks pick next year though).

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  10. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    Christmas has a 9'3" reach at 6'8.25"

For his height, he has Rudy Gobert length.

Rakeem or Mickey have this Spurs-steal vibe to them.

The downside - Rakeem is 23.

11. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    Looking at numbers and the 'by minute production' surprised me a bit...

KAT was the most productive player in the country. By far. Only MN would choose Okafor over this kid.

Bobby Portis and Devin Booker are underrated prospects. Booker's game fits Dame and Stott's system perfectly - projected to go around OKC's pick.

Robert Upshaw was #5 -- even with his red flags I don't see how you can pass up on a talent like this.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  12. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I'm starting to come around to this view. Even if he's a Beasley-level stoner, Beasley would have been pretty good for a #23 pick.

13. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    My only qualms about taking Upshaw: it might mean that we ditch either Robin or Freeland. I would say show Freeland the door, but I didn't realize just HOW good his defense was.

14. Pinwheel1

Still a little reluctant on taking centers in the first round when there is talent still available. But I admit at 23 it is tempting.
    Aside from the injury history we have had, my biggest worry is that centers usually need a few years to develop and to work hard on their game. Is he the type of player who is dedicated to work hard to improve? I don't know that answer and I doubt the NBA teams do either. They can only take an educated guess based on their conversations with him and his previous coaches. (The ones who booted him)

Maybe it is best that someone before us drafts him instead, ergo dropping a player down to us that would not have fallen.

15. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The CW seems to be that Freeland is expected to go back to Europe, but I really hope we re-sign him. Honestly, I would not be at all upset if we kept him, let Rolo walk, and installed Leonard as the starting center next year.

16. Pinwheel1

Yeah Freeland needs to feel assured he will get minutes this year. No one want to sit his whole career. That gets old.
    The thing is he was getting minutes the last two years before he got hurt, and each time when he came back he just couldn't get back in the rotation.

17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I like Freeland, but I LOVE RoLo. No way would I pick Freeland over Lopez. But also no way would I want Meyers starting, simply because of a good playoffs against ONE (fairly unique) opponent. But I'm willing to let Kaman go - he's the one who took Freeland's minutes. You can actually play Freeland and Meyers together.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

My thought process on Freeland/Rolo is simply financial. Freeland is arguably the better defensive player but will likely cost half as much. As for Leonard starting, it's not simply because of his play against Memphis, but because of his growth overall, as well as his potential for continued improvement. I certainly wouldn't be averse to Kaman going away and having Freeland as our 4th big, but the main thing is that Meyers needs room to grow. He's improved too much to continue being pigeonholed into 15 mpg.

19. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I really think RoLo may be the most underrated player, well, certainly on this board. He deserves more than Freeland because he's proved more than Freeland. Also he's a true center size - Freeland is PF size but guards centers just because he can't quite keep up with PFs. But Meyers can do a lot more than Freeland, certainly on offense, and particularly in the P&R.

Hey, if, as you say, he's grown with the current treatment, then let him continue to grow. He's still pretty fundamentally unsound and weak on the boards, and a very sub par shot blocker for his height. Besides, it's not like he's in competition with RoLo - he's a power forward, not a center.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  20. PtldPlatypus

I assume you mean Rolo above rather than Meyers. And I don't disagree that he deserves more; I just don't know if it's prudent for this team to pay him what he's worth, because I believe that Leonard will be able to provide more over the duration of Rolo's next contract, rendering it a poor investment from our perspective.

I know he's said that, but the roles are basically interchangeable, and he has grown a ton (mentally, defensively, and in maturity) since that interview 9 months ago. As long as Aldridge is here--and I'm banking on him remaining until I see conclusively otherwise--Leonard absolutely is in competition with Rolo, or any other big man on the team. As far as that competition is concerned, shot blocking and fouls are about the only areas in which Rolo is superior (which is basically one thing--shot challenging). Look at the per 36 or advanced stats; Leonard equals or outpaces Lopez across the board except there.