Official Rockets Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by TmacGarnett, Jan 2, 2006.

1. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

A Look Into the 2006 Draft

Hey assuming the rockets get into the lottery with the pace they are going at now their record would be 33-49. Who do you think would help this team the most? They will be the fifth pick overall based on current team records if it is not done on lottery and solely on record.

Now assume if they make the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed. They will be the 18-21 pick in the draft. Who will help us at one of these picks?

Please don't say that it is to early in the season and we can't tell or anything can happen to change this. It is all hypothetical. I would like your opinion.

If we had the fifth pick I would pick Rajon Rondo (assuming he enters the draft) We are in desperate need for a PG as we can see with all these PG getting tryouts. I'd consider Shelden Williams because Deke is getting older or Adam Morrison. Adam might go a little earlier, but so many foreign players are entering the draft that I think he might slide to number 5.

If we had one of the 18-21 picks. I'd pick Maurice Ager or Nick Fazekas because at 6'5 Ager is a nice defender and not an offesnive liability at all. Nick fazekas is a hard worker and can score from long range and can rebound very well.

2. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

Dee Brown or Allen Ray

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Shelden Williams won't be a bad pick due to his ability to score down low and defend the post, but his size at 6-10 tops makes him somewhat a liability as a NBA center. Especially with Howard who is moderately sized at 6-9, and Swift who at 6-9 is too weak to hold off physical fours, our frontcourt with Yao out will be undersized, period.

If we somehow do get a fifth pick, then I won't mind seeing us move up to second or third to be in position to draft Lamarcus Aldridge. If we really do get a top 5 pick in the draft, I'm sure one of our power forwards would have to go, and Aldridge might become mature by the time Yao and McGrady hit 29. He has Texas roots, and is a good shotblocker and scorer.

At shooting guard, we have Ronnie Brewer who can play three positions and is an all-rounded player, and JJ Redick, who is the pure shooter we might need if Wesley leaves the team in the summer.

At point guard, there is Darius Washington, Rajon Rondo, Guillermo Diaz and Jordan Farmer who should be available before the top 10 picks are announced.

I hope we won't have to be in this position though; picking out of the lottery is a much better prospect.

4. tinyballer

tinyballer JBB JustBBall Member

Well who we draft really depends on the team we become and on the development of swift and head.
    If head develops into sg we get pg if he develops pg we get sg.
    If Swift suceeds and becomes good pf we get a guy with more potential who can back up him and yao.
    if we have a pick in lottery for sg we could get brandon rush or ronnie brewer if t-mac wants to switch back to sg we could get shawne williams or rodney carney. if we want a pf/c we would get Alddgrige or Josh Boone. pg we would get daniel gibson or rajon rondo. I am leaving out reddick because i think van gundy said he wants players who are more atheletic. If we have a playoff pick than we would get mardy collins, diaz ,markota, hassan adams

5. TmacGarnett

Hassan Adams the way he is playing seems like a top 15 pick right now, but I wouldn't mind him on our team. JVG would love this guy. He is aggresive, slashes the ball, and can do major defense. He can also score. He would be a great fit in Indiana, but even better in Houston. He isn't undersized and can play the two gaurd also.

With the fifth pick I would love to get Adam Morrison because this team lacks consistent offense and he would provide a major threat. Yes, he is a defensive liability, but JVG is the best suited to change that liability to a solid defender.

6. tinyballer

umm most teams have adam morrison going in the top three picks. I have a feeling if leslie is willing to fork up the cash there will be around three teams willing to sell their first round draft pick like last year so if they do sell their pick we should go and buy it so we can get young depth. Like a new back up c/pf new back up pg new back up wing. but i would love to see josh boone, rajon rondo or lamarcus aldridge in our uniform either of the three would help us a lot. Rondo would give us another great play maker behind alston and could also give the sgs more time to rest stuff like that. Aldridge and Boone would just give swift and yao to rest too and reduces the risk of mutumbos body breaking down on us because he will get even less minutes and howard doesn't have to play when he sucks like crap

7. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting tinyballer:</div><div class="quote_post">umm most teams have adam morrison going in the top three picks. I have a feeling if leslie is willing to fork up the cash there will be around three teams willing to sell their first round draft pick like last year so if they do sell their pick we should go and buy it so we can get young depth. Like a new back up c/pf new back up pg new back up wing. but i would love to see josh boone, rajon rondo or lamarcus aldridge in our uniform either of the three would help us a lot. Rondo would give us another great play maker behind alston and could also give the sgs more time to rest stuff like that. Aldridge and Boone would just give swift and yao to rest too and reduces the risk of mutumbos body breaking down on us because he will get even less minutes and howard doesn't have to play when he sucks like crap</div>
    Which team "sold" a pick last year? [​IMG]

8. tinyballer

last year remember when jerry west put his 19th pick up for 4 million dollars and celtics put 18 up for 3.5mil but no one bought it cause all teams thought that the price tags on the picks were too expensive. Rockets had a deal to buy the 18th pick until the rapters drafted CV cuz by than boston knew GG could fall to them so withdrawn from the deal that was made. It was on houston chronical last year. I think houston wanted to get GG also or danny G i dunno

9. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">last year remember when jerry west put his 19th pick up for 4 million dollars and celtics put 18 up for 3.5mil but no one bought it cause all teams thought that the price tags on the picks were too expensive.</div>
    Leslie Alexander is one of the poorest owners in the league, so I'd doubt he would want to fork over something like four million for a pick. Plus, we're talking about a high draft pick here potentially so it would definitely be a lot higher. Ain't going to happen.

10. tinyballer

if i recall right it was a deal in which houston gets the 18th pick for a future first and cash didn't say how much but it was on the chronical. than toronto drafted CV so no one wanted to move first round picks and thats why houston ended up not getting GG damn toronto

11. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting tinyballer:</div><div class="quote_post">last year remember when jerry west put his 19th pick up for 4 million dollars and celtics put 18 up for 3.5mil but no one bought it cause all teams thought that the price tags on the picks were too expensive. Rockets had a deal to buy the 18th pick until the rapters drafted CV cuz by than boston knew GG could fall to them so withdrawn from the deal that was made. It was on houston chronical last year. I think houston wanted to get GG also or danny G i dunno</div>
    Actually, the maximum cash considerations that can be sent in any deal is $3 million, so I highly doubt that there would be any rumors of any picks being shopped around for more than that, and any deal which transpires would mean under-the-table dealing, and the league would be quick to pick up on it. Besides, I'd heard nothing of the sort. I would sincerely hope you're not making up claims to back up your statements.

12. tinyballer

i dunno exactly how much money was asked all i remember is it was millions umm if u wanna no for sure u can search the chronical archive or somethin i dunno all i saw was the boston houston thing

13. TmacGarnett

I know that Houston tried to move up by trading, but nothing about buying a pick.

14. Proz4k

Proz4k JBB JustBBall Member

Bulshit, do you really think that the Rockets will finish at 33-49?! its like the Knicks and Raptors last year... The Rockets are better then that...

15. tinyballer

umm i think the rockets will make the playoffs. when yao gets back and if swift continues this and other people becomes better and t-mac becomes healthy we will make playoffs

16. moeinhouston

moeinhouston JBB JustBBall Member

R.Carney(6'7 205) from Memphis would be good for this team.
    He is a wing whose game resembles that of TMac.

Elevation on shot that nobody can block, beyond the arc range, very athletic, rebounds.

He is projected to be between 13-20. I would love to see the Rockets pick him up.

17. TmacGarnett

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Proz4k:</div><div class="quote_post">Bulshit, do you really think that the Rockets will finish at 33-49?! its like the Knicks and Raptors last year... The Rockets are better then that...</div>

Apparently you didn't read what I said. This thread is hypothetical and to find out everyones opinion. Yes, the rockets are better than their record shows and the Rockets will most likely not finish at that record but they are on pace to. Please read before posting.

18. tinyballer

Yah having another explosive wing would be great!! and rodney carney fits dat but he is not exactly consistent or liking to play evident by his coach starting him on the bench and if luther head can develop in to a gilbert arenas type of guy on the pg than we could draft another wing

19. TmacGarnett

Jon Barry is retiring so I wouldn't mind seeing Maurice Ager or James Augustine in the second round.

20. tinyballer

Hey i think in the second round if james white is still avaliable we should draft him. Supposedly he is as explosive as Gulimero Diaz in some situations and possess a 44inch vertical and has freaky open court speed. He has the makings of a great defender being 6'7" explosive quick and strong. He is developing his J dunno how its going but he is developing it but it is very streky when its on its on when its off its off. but he has no other skills jus a streaky jumpshot and his body and if some how we could get tyrus thomas in the draft that would be great we would have the swifest line up. in the front when we play him with swift but who knowes also hassan adams has also looked like an explosive wing we could use and he might be avaliable in second round due to questions about his height and inconsistency.