Official Rockets Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by TmacGarnett, Jan 2, 2006.

1. KayJayNZ

KayJayNZ JBB JustBBall Member

Rox select F Steve Novak (Marquette) with the 32nd pick.

2. KayJayNZ

KayJayNZ JBB JustBBall Member

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting TmacGarnett:</div><div class="quote_post">If we get Battier...I riot clear lake and throw away all my houston rockets stuff.</div>
    Well go ahead and do it now. We'll see what you do when Gay averages 5 ppg for his career and we win a championship in two years with Battier as the third option.

4. tinyballer

tinyballer JBB JustBBall Member

Battier cannot be a thir option he has never averaged higher then 10 points. If houston comes up any less of the championship in these three years we can see how big of a wrong decision we made in fact i believe we would have been farther into the journey had we kept it but nothing is announced so we don't know whats happening.

5. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting tinyballer:</div><div class="quote_post">Battier cannot be a thir option he has never averaged higher then 10 points. If houston comes up any less of the championship in these three years we can see how big of a wrong decision we made in fact i believe we would have been farther into the journey had we kept it but nothing is announced so we don't know whats happening.</div>
    Goddamn it he averaged 14.4 in his rookie year! Don't say anything if you dont' know anything about him. How old are you, 10? First you believe he's 29 and now you believe the crap that he's never averaged more than 10? C'mon, quit being so gullible for once.

6. tinyballer

tinyballer JBB JustBBall Member

yah has it he done it again after that season i don't think so. Tell me who in the Memphis Grizzlies aside from Paul Gasol do they reli on to get offence? No one. IF he really was a scorer wouldn't he score. PLus he is an overatted defender thats why they got eddie jones to put the opposing teams best 2/3 on. Shane Battier is a 6'6" version of the wesley we had before the knee problems. We can go out and do battle with him we can count on him to work hard. We can count on him to knock down most open shots and get his average up to 15 points. We can also count on gay to make the open shots we can count on gay to develop into a shutdown defender like Prince because of his quickness, long arms. I am not going to knock Shane Battier as a player he is solid but is he worth a #8 whom we end up getting Rudy Gay who slips to us I don't think so. Do you honestly think the rockets can win next year with out PF situation I don't think so. If we win the championship next year people will froget about this trade if we don't and the window becomes smaller and rudy gay averages above 10 points then CD will be questioned for ever. How the hell is this being gullible I read his age thought it was right and typed it but on all account this trade still looks like a bust waiting to happen for houston.

7. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

Locke, To be honest with you...I wouldn't care if Gay scored 5 ppg if we keep him. With Shane Battier, we aren't getting any younger and we have to put him at the 2 gaurd. Gay is athletic enough to play the 2. Gay has so much upside. Shane Battier might be our third option, but he was the second option in memphis and he still only averaged 10 ppg last season. Being the third option I doubt that will increase at all.

With gay your taking a chance here because if Tmac injures his back and potentially makes his value worthless on the court and on the trade market then Rudy Gay could be that replacement. Shane Battier can't. I realize that Shane Battier is proven, but we will see.

I personally think this is a mistake, but what do I know...I've been drooling for that moment on 7:17 pm when Stern said "With the 8th pick in the 2006 NBA draft the Houston Rockets select Rudy Gay from the University of Connecticut" for about a month now.

Hopefully the trade doesn't fall through becauase where sending Stromile also.

8. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting tinyballer:</div><div class="quote_post">yah has it he done it again after that season i don't think so. Tell me who in the Memphis Grizzlies aside from Paul Gasol do they reli on to get offence? No one. IF he really was a scorer wouldn't he score. PLus he is an overatted defender thats why they got eddie jones to put the opposing teams best 2/3 on. Shane Battier is a 6'6" version of the wesley we had before the knee problems. We can go out and do battle with him we can count on him to work hard. We can count on him to knock down most open shots and get his average up to 15 points. We can also count on gay to make the open shots we can count on gay to develop into a shutdown defender like Prince because of his quickness, long arms. I am not going to knock Shane Battier as a player he is solid but is he worth a #8 whom we end up getting Rudy Gay who slips to us I don't think so. Do you honestly think the rockets can win next year with out PF situation I don't think so. If we win the championship next year people will froget about this trade if we don't and the window becomes smaller and rudy gay averages above 10 points then CD will be questioned for ever. How the hell is this being gullible I read his age thought it was right and typed it but on all account this trade still looks like a bust waiting to happen for houston.</div>
    If you were watching basketball back then, you'd know that Hubie Brown became the Grizzlies' coach and he experimented with 10-men rotations. There was also not one go-to guy on offense. Check out Pau Gasol's averages during that span, it doesn't compliment him either.

Overrated defender? Battier is probably one of the most underrated defenders in the NBA. I didn't watch the Grizzlies much this season, but I can guarantee that Battier was the one guarding the top players on opposing teams. He's a similar defender to Ron Artest. Not quick or athletic but is a bulldog on defense.

And TmacGarnett, I see your side of the trade. Yes, we lose out on Gay and a 0.001 percent chance than Stro will become a 15/10 guy one day. There is a part of me that wishes we keep Gay and watch him blossom, but I just don't think you and several others are being level-headed enough to watch the trade from a neutral POV and see the good in this trade.

9. TmacGarnett

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">
    And TmacGarnett, I see your side of the trade. Yes, we lose out on Gay and a 0.001 percent chance than Stro will become a 15/10 guy one day. There is a part of me that wishes we keep Gay and watch him blossom, but I just don't think you and several others are being level-headed enough to watch the trade from a neutral POV and see the good in this trade.</div>

Well I agree, I mean I've been on the Rudy Gay bandwagon for as long as a month. Many of my posts will prove that. I'm biased at this point because I really think He can help this team.

I'm hating the fact that with this trade we aren't getting any younger and we lose tremendous depth. The thing I hate the most is that free agency is very very very crucial now. Everything depends on it now. What scares me is that if Shane Battier doesn't prosper on this team, the window is closing for us. Tmac isn't getting healthier. If Battier doesn't contribute then were back in lottery. We need to make the right moves and bring the right pieces in.

10. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TmacGarnett:</div><div class="quote_post">Well I agree, I mean I've been on the Rudy Gay bandwagon for as long as a month. Many of my posts will prove that. I'm biased at this point because I really think He can help this team.

I'm hating the fact that with this trade we aren't getting any younger and we lose tremendous depth. The thing I hate the most is that free agency is very very very crucial now. Everything depends on it now. What scares me is that if Shane Battier doesn't prosper on this team, the window is closing for us. Tmac isn't getting healthier. If Battier doesn't contribute then were back in lottery. We need to make the right moves and bring the right pieces in.</div>

Sums up my concerns exactly. But I think it will probably help, in the short term (next couple years). But if McGrady's back prevents him from being a great player, and Battier slides for whatever reason, this could look like a really bad move.

Thing is, Gay wasn't a sure thing either. I wonder what the Rockets will say on July 12th.

11. TmacGarnett

I'm hoping the Rockets ask from something more like Hakim warrick

Rudy Gay+ Stromile Swift for battier and Warrick

12. GeronimoPT

GeronimoPT JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">TmacGarnett Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not a big fan of Brandon Roy either. I think he will be a bust.
    I want Rudy Gay or Ronnie BRewer</div>

lol Well its nice to know Rockets fans are such great evaluators of talent. I looked through this thread and did anyone give Roy a chance? Could it be that it is becuase he's from the Northwest? I bet you wish you had him now. Not only was he ROY but also the leader of the Blazer team as a rookie. Gay is not more athletic he is just more explosive and does not have the array of moves Roy has. They both have the same vertical at 40.5. He has more basketball IQ than most league veterans and is only going to get better while people ooh and ahh at Gay's dunks while screaming UPSIDE!! UPSIDE!!

13. Trip

Student
    Well it's nice to also know that hindsight is 20/20. In the end, the Rockets had no shot at Roy anyway, so I don't see your point. In the draft, everyone can be classified as bad evaluators of talent. Some talent turn out, some don't, and that's the joy of watching and discussing the draft.

That said, bringing up year-old threads to capitalize on "mistakes" of before is not the way to do it.

[red]Thread locked[/red]