Official Rockets Injury Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by tr@cy&ya0, Dec 18, 2005.

1. swyftdahoe

swyftdahoe JBB JustBBall Member

lol what a trainwreck of a season.. they'll never develop the consistency needed to make a run at the playoffs this year..

i think they should just call this season a loss and try to trade away some of the old players (there's plenty to choose from).. hahaz hopefully they can suck even more and get a top 5 pick in the draft..

as for yao and tmac.. i just hope they recover and heal up totally for next year.. yao needs to lose some of that lower body weight.. the "new" nba doesn't need bulk.. there's no need to have that extra poundage to battle against shaq.. the bruising shaq is history.. you can now battle him with speed instead..

onto jeff van gundy.. you can't possibly tell me that he's good for yao's game and development.. dude needs to be shown the door.. great coach but a bad match for yao..

2. Laker_fan

Laker_fan JBB JustBBall Member

It'll be interesting to see if the team does better without the two star players. I will seriously laugh if the Rockets play better without Yao and T-Mac.

3. perrypan

perrypan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Laker_fan:</div><div class="quote_post">It'll be interesting to see if the team does better without the two star players. I will seriously laugh if the Rockets play better without Yao and T-Mac.</div>

Same here, I wanna see how does Rockets do without both superstars. The different thing is, I don't feel like laughing, but crying since I am a Rockets fan. Injury problem really hurts this team. I rarely seem injury hurts a team so bad.(If my my memory serves me right, couple yrs ago, I saw a team with all starters injured, but different from Rockets, those young players step up and play well) I think we lost 3 starters all the time...LOL That is just a rotation. Whenever one recovers, another one would be down. This is horrible..[​IMG]

4. jimmy33kb

jimmy33kb JBB JustBBall Member

so,what's next without both them? i can't imagine.what a horrible picture in my mine...rockets need nothing but just a whole team...

5. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

Hope left?

Not so bad, owner says
    Alexander quoted doctors as saying the injury would not keep McGrady out as long as the eight games (all losses) he missed with a strained back this season. An MRI was set for this morning.

Source: Houston Chronicle

6. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting houston_owns_u:</div><div class="quote_post">Hope left?

Not so bad, owner says
    Alexander quoted doctors as saying the injury would not keep McGrady out as long as the eight games (all losses) he missed with a strained back this season. An MRI was set for this morning.

Source: Houston Chronicle</div>

Does it really matter? The Rockets have to get on an incredible hotstreak to have a chance of even making the playoffs at this point. I just don't see it happening.

7. RogueNine

RogueNine JBB JustBBall Member

I'm just impressed with how rafer stepped up last night.

8. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting perrypan:</div><div class="quote_post">Same here, I wanna see how does Rockets do without both superstars. The different thing is, I don't feel like laughing, but crying since I am a Rockets fan. Injury problem really hurts this team. I rarely seem injury hurts a team so bad.(If my my memory serves me right, couple yrs ago, I saw a team with all starters injured, but different from Rockets, those young players step up and play well) I think we lost 3 starters all the time...LOL That is just a rotation. Whenever one recovers, another one would be down. This is horrible..[​IMG]</div>
    Good point. The last time the Rockets had an injury-plagued season (01-02), we lucked out and landed the number one pick in the draft, who turned into Yao Ming. Could this be a blessing in disguise as well?

9. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">Good point. The last time the Rockets had an injury-plagued season (01-02), we lucked out and landed the number one pick in the draft, who turned into Yao Ming. Could this be a blessing in disguise as well?</div>

Well, is there any real player in college we need right now? We probably need a point guard, but Rafer had been looking good the past few games. Maybe JJ Reddick, a shooter? I'm not too into college hoops - but guys like Rudy Gay might not work in Houston (from what I've heard, atleast)..

I wouldn't be suprised to see us trade the pick. The Rockets have an inside-outside combination -- and even if they're injured, we don't need a budding superstar on the team, just a solid third option.

The Rockets would have to bust out the big bucks to afford a good talent that's on the market right now. I couldn't say that Bibby is on the market, but the Queens are sucking it up a bit . . . and I don't think Artest and Bibby are out of reach, but Bibby is already on a monster contract, and Artest probably will get a substantial amount of money when he's a free agent.

I really do like Rafer as a point guard, I'm thinking we go after a 2-guard if we make any trades (unless we some-how land Bibby/Artest), but there aren't many good options RIGHT NOW for that. A 2-Guard that can shoot. I guess Peja is an option, but the man doesn't play defense.

Anyways -- all that aside, the Rockets can still make the playoffs. We're 12-20, no? say we lose our next 6 games and grind out our 7th with Yao and T-Mac some-what ready. We'd then have to go 50-6 to make it where we were last season. If we wanted to be in the playoffs at all, we'd have a larger margin for error in those games.

Impossible? Hardly. See Spurs/Pistons. I am not saying the Rockets are anywhere near them chemistry wise, but this team -- coming into the season -- was a top 4 team in the West. Anyone who expected Stro to put up 15-10 was day dreaming, maybe 10-7.. Right now, he's at 9 and 5. One optimistic signing and a few injuries doesn't change the fact that we were a damn good team.

BELIEVE, for the Sake of everything Holy. We aren't Clutch City for nothing.

EDIT: Trip.. err. Locke, that post wasn't directed at you -- I just haven't posted in a while [​IMG] .

10. Trip

Student
    Good points Mag, and no offense taken, but I beg to differ regarding the draft and our draft pick, if we do land a lottery one.

I agree with you in that we do need a shooting guard, but can't we acquire the help we need through the draft? Adam Morrison, Rodney Carney and Shawne Williams are not pure twos, but would it really make such a difference if McGrady slides over to the two and the guy we pick play the three? All three of those guys can shoot the ball, and we also have Luther Head who can come off the bench and give us three-point shooting.

As for making the playoffs, I don't doubt that we will if we can get TMac and Yao back by the second week of February, but what can we do in the playoffs? Our seeding probably won't be great, and we'll be getting San Antonio, a Phoenix team with Stoudemire back and in form after playing for two months, or whoever wins the Northwest division, Utah or Seattle. However, to face Utah or Seattle, the pushovers among the top 3, we'd have to be sixth seed, which, by the looks of it, will require at least 50 wins. Can we really go 38-12 the rest of the way from here? If we aren't going to get past the first round, why risk re-aggravating Yao and McGrady's injuries?

On the other hand, if we do finish out of the playoffs and land a lottery pick, we'll come into the new season with a highly-touted rookie, healthy Yao, McGrady and hopefully, Sura, and a year of high hopes. I highly doubt we'll spend all of our MLE this summer, as Yao's new big extension kicks in, essentially giving us little cap room to do anything. We might bring back Wesley and another player, but whoever we bring in won't cost anything more than half the MLE, count on that. Essentially, a lottery pick will be the best way for us to get the help we need.

11. ownage

ownage JBB JustBBall Member

Well today is January 10,2006

can some give approximations of how much longer our injuried players will be out for?

example:

T-mac - ? weeks
    YAo - ? weeks
    etc....

thanks

12. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

Tmac- 2-3 weeks
    yao-2-4 weeks

I also don't agree with you Mag in the sense that trading draft picks will not get the Rockets the player that would actually equal the skilled player they would draft. I'm very into nba drafts and college hoops and this up coming draft is special in the sense that the players projected to come out and enter are the type of players that can make all-nba first teams and allstar games. These players are complete players that will contribute to the team instantly if they are given the time barring any unexpected turn of events like an injury.

The SF in this draft are extremely good and you are right in the fact that Rudy Gay would not be a good fit in Houston because he isn't as experienced, but others like Adam Morrison (Who would be the best fit), JJredick, Ronnie Brewer, and Hassan Adams are extremely valuable to this team. Adam Morrison can help this offensivley handicapped team because this guy is 6-8 with an NBA build that can post down, shoot the three amazingly, shoot free throws, and is college basketballs most complete offensive player. He can literally shoot from anywhere on the court and have a high chance of making it (52% FG percentage). He has one weakness in the fact that he can be a defensive liability, but usually your defensive awareness increases with time. Mcgrady would be much better at the 2, but Adam Morrison would be gold if he was drafted by this team.

13. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

I guess we need a player that is all offensive, because everyone here in Houston is defensive. Van Gundy might not like it, but we've been waiting a long time for someone other than Yao and T-Mac to provide a dangerous offensive threat. Ronnie Brewer and Adam Morrison sound good to me.

14. ownage

ownage JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TmacGarnett:</div><div class="quote_post">Tmac- 2-3 weeks
    yao-2-4 weeks</div>

what about DA?

oh yea, more bad news, Swift is now injuried....
    he is not playing in tonight's game against the bobcats...
    sigh....

15. TmacGarnett

I haven't heard a time schedule on DA at all. I don't get why he isn't coming back, but I also have never felt a calf strain before so...I can't even give you an approximation.

16. moeinhouston

moeinhouston JBB JustBBall Member

Back down to 9 players against the Bobcats. Geez.
    What else could happen.

Somebody strains their wrist signing an autograph.

Another throws out his back when he sneezes.

Deke falls and squishes Head SKip and Mooch

Somebody trips while getting off a plane

With injuries being the biggest story for the Rockets they really need to suffer more entertaining ones.

17. TmacGarnett

What happens if a team has so many injuries that they can't keep 5 players on the court? I'm curious to see this because going into double overtime shows that these guys are tired and have another game tommorrow. Fatigue might sit some of these guys out.

18. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting TmacGarnett:</div><div class="quote_post">What happens if a team has so many injuries that they can't keep 5 players on the court? I'm curious to see this because going into double overtime shows that these guys are tired and have another game tommorrow. Fatigue might sit some of these guys out.</div>
    Something similar happened to the Pacers last year when the suspensions kicked in, and they were down to six players. You'd still have to dress eight though. If you can't even field a team of five, I'm pretty sure we'll get league exceptions to sign more guys.

19. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size=""3"">Rockets' Bowen leaves game with irregular heartbeat</font>
    Associated Press

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Houston forward Ryan Bowen left the Rockets' game against Detroit on Sunday after complaining of an irregular heartbeat.

Bowen played 1 minute early in the second quarter before going to the dressing room. No other information was given on his condition.

The six-year veteran is averaging 1.8 points in 13.7 minutes per game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2302432</div>

Injured List:

Yao Ming - Toe
    Stromile Swift - Pink Eye
    Derek Anderson - Calf
    Jon Barry - Calf
    Bob Sura - Knee/Back
    Moochie Norris - Foot
    Ryan Bowen - Irregular Heartbeat

Hey! Atleast we got T-Mac back!

20. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One