Official Rockets Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Sniper, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Sniper

Sniper JBB Long Range Assassin

Stromile Swift (Houston)
    Rafer Alston (Houston)

for

Al Harrington (Atlanta)

--------------------------------------------

David Wesley (Houston)

for

Kareem Rush (Charlotte)

--------------------------------------------

Projected lineup:

Head / McGrady / Barry
    Rush / Anderson / Barry / Head
    McGrady / Anderson / Harrington / Bowen
    Harrington / Howard / Bowen
    Yao / Mutombo

Bench:

The average age of our starting lineup goes from 28.2 to 24.8. Our size looks a lot better (6'3", 6'6", 6'8", 6'9", 7'6"). We become absolutely lethal from long range, and there's no excuse for that group not being able to get out and run.

In case you guys are wondering, this is coming on the heels of a rumor I heard from a reliable source on another board that Rafer may not work out for this team, a Swift trade has been discussed with at least one team, and David Wesley is being shopped like there's no tomorrow.

Your thoughts?

2. ClutchCity

ClutchCity JBB JustBBall Member

Read that too and I really hate the fact that Swift is being cut loose, he never even had a chance. This will probably get locked anyways. WOrd spreads fast though huh?

The rockets need a point guard more than a forward, and i dont want to see kareem rush on this team. Harrington wont really add anything. He cant rebound or block shots, i dont know too much of his defense, but i consider it decent.

We will probably shop Swift unsuccessfully.

3. devin

devin JBB JustBBall Member

If we trade swift for al, we're going to lose some shotblocking. Without Alston, we don't have a good backup PG. Head is more of a shoot first guard than a passing point guard, thats why he's playing the 2 right now. I say let the season go on before any trades are going to into fruition. We have a lot of time before the trade deadline.

4. perrypan

perrypan JBB JustBBall Member

Well, Hawks won't take Swift for Al Harrington. Al is so young and productive while Swift can do nothing but grab a few rebounds occationally. Not to mention Rush, he is young, and becoming a scoring machine now. Bubcats won't trade him for Weseley obviously unless they wanna some experienced players bad.

5. Sniper

Sniper JBB Long Range Assassin

Swift and Alston. Atlanta needs a point guard.

Wesley has an expiring contract. Charlotte's M.O. has been to free cap space since day one. We might be surprised by what they'd do.

6. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Kareem Rush seems to be doing pretty well so far this season and has really been a bright spot for Charlotte. They want to relieve cap space, but I don't think they're desperate enough to trade a young player just straight up for an expiring contract. I really think the only pieces they want to trade as of now are Brezec and Ely since it really doesn't look like they have a future with the team. Too bad we didn't sign Rush as a free agent over the offseason... Meanwhile, the Atlanta trade makes sense for both teams, but I want Houston to give a bit more time for Swift to learn the system. It looks like he's just picking things up slow. With Alston, who knows? Atlanta needs a point though.

By the way, I'll sticky this thread, so all trade proposals will go in here for the season.

7. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Don't think trading Alston, our only legit point guard left, is a good idea. Head hasn't proven to be a competent playmaker and for a team with hopes of going deep this year, a rookie running the point could be disastrous. I've always been a fan of Al Harrington's play, but he's streaky at times and has an expiring contract. If he leaves us, we're basically screwed.

The Wesley trade could work as Charlotte likes having veterans to tutor their young players, but depending on Rush as a starter isn't much of a good idea IMO. This is also a streaky player who doesn't play great defense. In short, that starting lineup would likely be big on some nights and terrible on others, given the inconsistency of Head, Yao, Rush and Harrington.

How about:

Houston trades:
    Stromile Swift
    Rafer Alston
    David Wesley

Golden State trades:
    Troy Murphy
    Derek Fisher

In Fisher, we get a stable point guard who has been in winning systems before, and who will probably embrace a starting role in Houston after being disgruntled about being a backup in Golden State. Troy Murphy is a much better rebounder than Swift and has the range to play a Juwan Howard role on offense. He's been solid for the Warriors, but they have Ike Diogu, Andris Biedrins and Zarko Carbarkapa who are all young and it seems inevitable that Murphy and his large contract would be traded when one of those youngsters start to blossom.

PG: Fisher/Head/McGrady
    SG: Head/Anderson/Barry
    SF: McGrady/Anderson/Bowen
    PF: Murphy/Howard/Baxter
    C: Yao/Mutombo/Murphy

8. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    How about:

Houston trades:
    Stromile Swift
    Rafer Alston
    David Wesley

Golden State trades:
    Troy Murphy
    Derek Fisher
    </div>
    I'd love that trade. We get a great rebounder (something that we desperately need) in Murphy who can also step outside and hit the three ball in case Yao is being doubled. Plus, Fisher is a capable starting point guard and brings nice spot up shooting which is really all that we need at the position. Meanwhile, Swift and Alston haven't exactly panned out right for us (although Alston's been pretty much injured for the most part) while Swift has yet to pick up on Van Gundy's system. If the trade deadline comes a long and those guys are eligible to be traded, I would do that trade in an instant. The only thing that's really hurting us there is Fisher's enormous contract. He's already fairly old but his contract has four years left to it.

Anyone like this one?

We trade Swift and Glover for Kenny Thomas from the Kings.

Houston gets a good rebounder who plays tough defense on the inside. Offensively, Thomas can step outside and hit the jumper, which is basically Juwan Howard upgraded a couple times. Thomas isn't that old yet and would fit in perfectly. Yao can then step out from the paint and shoot the jumpers he's great at. Meanwhile, if he misses, Kenny Thomas is great at boxing out and can get rebound the ball for the team. Meanwhile, Sacramento gets a good player off the bench and can play minutes at both center and powerforward unlike Thomas. Plus, he would fit in much better in their fast paced offense with his speed. Glovers there just as a filler. Works out capwise and I think we actually gain a bit more space.

9. Trip

Student
    Actually, Fisher's contract is not too much more than Alston's, and we get a better shooter, defender and a smarter, less controversial guy to run the team. Length-wise, I think they are similar, give or take a year.

Bringing back Kenny Thomas would be a good move. Although he's undersized, Thomas is a solid rebounder and can play some good defense. He also can hit the outside shot and create off the dribble if necessary. Glover would undoubtedly be waived by the Kings upon the completion of the deal.

10. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">
    How about:

Houston trades:
    Stromile Swift
    Rafer Alston
    David Wesley

Golden State trades:
    Troy Murphy
    Derek Fisher</div>
    As a Warriors fan it sounds good in theory. I'm a little unsure because Fisher and Murphy have been excellent so far this season. We play Fish at the 2 so that Baron can get him some spot up 3's and Fish is hitting 50% of them which is amazing considering how many he takes. The guy hits a ton of clutch shots as well which is huge for us. Murphy is our best rebounder and has improved his defense and inside game. Both are only average right now but still alot better than last year. Murphy and Fisher would absolutely destroy other teams at the 3 point line when defenses collapse on T-Mac/Yao and they kick it out.

From a Warriors perspective, we dump alot of salary for some smaller contracts and improved athleticism. We've been bitching about getting an athletic PF who can defend, block shots, and finish but form the cinsitency of Murphy this season it may be a risk. Baron and Dunleavy would get Swift a ton of easy dunks and Swift fits in well in the up-tempo style that we run. A frontline of Foyle-Swift would be excellent defensively. Rafer Alston may compain about playing time and become a distraction, his contract isnt much better than Fisher's who is playing great right now. Wesley is a nice replacement for Fisher in that he can hit 3's, hes more of a 2 than a 1, and he provides veteran leadership. Plus the expiring contract is very nice.

I think the Warriors definitely do this before the season but Murphy and Fisher have been surprising and although they have big contracts they are also valuble to our team. This is a really tough call, because our team chemistry is so great right now that the new players with totally different styles may screw it all up. Also, knowing Mullin he may rather replace Alston with Moochie Norris (if he isnt retired yet) or another expiring contract because he hates guys who are disruptive and we need more salary cap space. I really dont know if the trade would be accepted [​IMG] , I'd say its 50/50 maybe some other Warriors fans will be more decisive (theres a trade thread somewhere in their forum, probably a few pages back where you can post it).

11. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

That G.S. trade doesn't look that bad...I still think we should give Swift and Alston more time though.

12. tr@cy&ya0

tr@cy&ya0 JBB JustBBall Member

derek fisher would be great but i don't know about troy murphy.... do we realy need him? i think we need miles from portland... how about this

ROCKETS TRADE:
    wesley
    swift

TRAIL BLAZERS TRADE:
    miles
    first round pick..

i realy think miles is wat we realy need... and the blazers need a veteran like david wesley, and they get another young person in swift... i think juan howard is great for starting, and baxter will be the back up... baxter is not bad at all, IMO, we didn't sign him so he can be a bench warmer... he has great toughness and he is a monster on the board...

but i think we should do this during january or febuary cause right now wesley is the only player that can shoot the 3.... i think derek anderson is about to heat up soon... i don't know if the blazers would like that though...

13. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

Murphy >>> Miles (anyday of the week)

14. tr@cy&ya0

isn't murphy INJURY PRONE? if so I'M TIRED OF INJURYS....

15. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">isn't murphy INJURY PRONE? if so I'M TIRED OF INJURYS....</div>
    He just had a bad injury one year, other wise after that he went pretty strong. Aside from his injury season, he has played 70, 79, and 82 games for his other seasons. So far this season he's looking pretty good.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    ROCKETS TRADE:
    wesley
    swift

TRAIL BLAZERS TRADE:
    miles
    first round pick..</div>
    I don't think that works out money wise. Plus, the Blazers are a rebuilding team so they want to keep as many picks as possible and especially not trade it away for a veteran like Wesley when they could easily get him as a free agent in the offseason. I'd like to stay away from Miles. He's pretty much been a headcase and a distraction off the court. I heard he's even gotten into a fight with Cheeks, and Maurice Cheeks is one of the best player coaches in the league.

16. tr@cy&ya0

right now i think everyone agrees with trading swift... we were all hyped about him, but he is realy a bust... *sigh* alston has done an ok job but i rather have mike james....

17. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Given the roster instability through the first month, I don't think the Rockets should look to trade anybody, unless it's a no-brainer. Let's see how Swift, Alston, and the rest do with a relatively healthy lineup and a less grueling schedule.

18. Trip

Student
    Miles is a one-dimensional player who is only good at driving the lanes. On defense, he's great and an awesome shotblocker with his long reach but his history of disruptive conduct to the team is not going to fit well with almost any coach. I'd rather take Travis Outlaw, who is a similar player but with a smaller contract and many less headaches.

19. dingking

dingking JBB JustBBall Member

i cant wait to see kicking Stromile Swift out. It is turn out to be a bad deal to get him, even though he's cheap.But cheap means low quality. He looks clueless and got no idea what to do on the court. Trade him for whoever can fit the rocket's system either offensively or defensively.

20. jimmy33kb

jimmy33kb JBB JustBBall Member

yes,we need new guys who should be younger!!! we need young men!!