OFFICIAL Sonics Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Andre Emmett with our first second rounder. Solid pick that, too.

2. AznInsight

AznInsight JBB JustBBall Member

Well he was traded.

David Young is an excellant choice, he can end up being worth a lottery pick.

Anyways Robert Swift was a solid pick as well.

3. RiverspoonJones

RiverspoonJones JBB Sonic Death Monkey

Anyone help me out with David Young's measurements (I know they were elsewhere in the forum but can't be bothered looking). SG/SF, yeah?

4. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

"Robert Swift? Seriously?"

I haven't stopped saying that yet. Looks like the Sonics are a .500 team for at least two more years unless there's a major trade or draft pick.

5. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

Oh, and the Chicago Bulls are going to be straight up pimpin' next year if Chandler, Curry, or both get on track.

6. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh, and the Chicago Bulls are going to be straight up pimpin' next year if Chandler, Curry, or both get on track.</div>

There were some serious rumours that we were trying hard last minute to land Chandler, but to no avail.

As for the Swift pick - I was very annoyed this morning (as you can probably tell by my earlier comments in this thread), but having a whole day at work to think about it, it could be a very solid pick. He'll take a couple of years, but at least that shows me we are serious about rebuilding.

He is also a true center, and someone who I feel working with Jack Sikma and Lonnie Shelton will do wonders for him. He is a shotblocking presence, his basketball IQ and footwork at both ends are advanced for his age, and he is someone who plays a back to the basket game. Give him time to bulk up and learn his trade, and he'll be a top 10 center in this league. By all accounts he isn't afraid to take it strong to the rack, either.

It's just a pity he looks like Freddie Krueger with acne.

7. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

I'm thrilled that the Sonics have the chance to boast a great center on the roster one day. I'm just wondering if they'll be smart enough to surround him with the right players.

During the McDonald's All-Star game, the camera went from a shot of Swift to a shot of Ronald McDonald. I may or may not have made a joke about Robert's father being a certain clown. [​IMG]

8. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">During the McDonald's All-Star game, the camera went from a shot of Swift to a shot of Ronald McDonald. I may or may not have made a joke about Robert's father being a certain clown. [​IMG]</div>

One thing is for sure. Big Rob will join the select group of professional athletes that will never get laid, despite having vast amounts of money.

9. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

And another interesting tidbit, Swift's agent, Arn Tellum, represents Brent Barry. This may mean absolutely nothing, but it could make for an interesting offseason nonetheless.

10. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

I really wanted to get on this website but I have been busy for a while. Too put it simply, I can't believe this draft.

From the low of drafting Robert Swift to the high of my man D.Y. getting drafted in the second round, this draft for me personally was unbelievable.

Robert Swift is a horrible pick. By the time he gains the weight to hold his position in the post his rookie contract will be expired. There is a reason why his agent did not want him to workout for any teams. If he had NBA GM's would have seen how not ready he is for the league. The kid obviously has talent but at what point are the Sonics going to come out and say, "We are officially rebuilding." I would have been happier w/ Al Jefferson considering that he at least has the bulk of a post player.

David Young getting picked by the Supes couldn't have made me feel any better. I know in earlier post I said that I didn't think that he was going to be drafted, but that was b/c he didn't go to any of the predraft camps. He was the state player of the year in high school so he obviously has the ability to put the ball in the hole. If the rumors continue to persist that Ray is on the blocks, then the Sonics obviously need depth at the two. Flip can more than handle the two spot and from what he did last season I think that that has opened the door for Dave. There is something to be said for players who have been written off by others and continue to follow their dreams. He told me yesterday that he is on a mission to prove all of his doubters wrong. The first phase of that mission started yesterday. This is a great situation for him and the Sonics.

11. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

Swift didn't work out for anybody because he got a guarantee from Boston early on. Nobody thinks he's ready for the league now. The Sonics aren't even expecting him to do anything for two years.