Official Warriors Starting PG Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AlleyOop, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clif25 @ Jul 17 2008, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jul 17 2008, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Just rumors right now but theres been a lot of buzz circulating about a Billups for Biedrins trade:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Immediately after the Baron Davis trade, Don Nelson publicly came out with a ringing endorsement of Monta Ellis as the next point guard in Oakland. Warriors?€™ GM Chris Mullin backed Nellie?€™s assertion, but his actions might say a whole lot more about how he really feels starting Monta as the primary point.

Chris Mullin may not believe his own rhetoric about Ellis. The buzz in Detroit is that the Warriors and Pistons have been talking about a deal involving point guard Chauncey Billups. The Pistons want Andris Biedrins, the Warriors are offering up Al Harrington. Harrington by all means. But Biedrins? No way.

While it should come as no surprise that the Warriors would happily solicit Mr. Big Shot?€™s services, are you surprised that Andris Biedrins stock is high enough to be dealt for a former Final MVP one-for-one? Granted, the biggest difference here is age: Biedrins turned 22 in April and Billups turns 32 in September. It feels like Detroit should get something more than just Biedrins, even if he?€™s close to a 10-10 guy who leads the League in field goal percentage. No casual fan is going to buy a ticket to the Palace at Auburn Hills to see some Latvian dude who spends too much time gelling his hair.</div>
    http://dimemag.com/2008/07/nba-trade-rumor...ndris-biedrins/

I think I'm in the minority who would be for a trade like this. Granted Biedrins is 22 years old, solid center and one of the better rebounders in the league. My perception of his upside has cooled off as he remains without much of a post up game or any game outside of 8 feet. I love his energy and game overall but I also think Billups is a very very solid PG, one who could play next to Monta.

This could work if we get another serviceable big back from Detroit as well. Sheed would be nice but probably unrealistic. One of McDyess, Maxiel, or Amir Johnson could work though. Our lineup would be very awkward though because thne Mags would probably have to come off the bench and we'd have some strange C rotation of Turiaf, Wright, and a Detroit big man unless we move Al for a C.

I'm guessing this is just rumors with no merit but it does make some sense for both teams. Interesting trade fodder to re-kindle some discussion.
    </div>

Re-signing Andris and Monta is taking WAY too long. Something might be up there. After the Arenas situation and now Baron Davis, can we just sign these two ASAP? Please.
    </div>

I heard some DISTURBING RUMORS! The worst part was I thought the Camby for nothing trade was a hoax.

Check this out Biedrins for Billups“? I want to puke.

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/2008/...oit_piston.html

Giving up our only quality big man is a bad mistake. Even if it's for Rasheed Wallace, seriously what do we build on after that? We're a donut squad because we have nothing in the middle.

There better be several first rounders and lottery unprotected picks in that deal... Not only does Billups play a different kind of ball game, but we're not even sure if Billups wants to play behind Ellis or will play shooting guard. Ellis said that his shooting and parts of his game is similar to Chauncey Billups, but I thought he was mostly a halfcourt player who really shines in the post season.

I mean a quality 4/5 player for an older point guard (even if all-star) is just hard to swallow. We should keep the 4/5 guy if there's nobody else behind that guy who can start at center. I ain't betting on Rony Turiaf to do the role. I'd rather have the 60% fg scorer that supposedly "hot potatoes" on offense. Biedrins is consistent too if we want an efficient near double double player who blocks some shots and can outrun most 4's and 5's. And I'm sure if Beans was heavier and less prone to flying around on hard hits, he'd leave his feat more and start playing above the rim. The dude has a 36 inch vertical. Where has that been? Get the guy hungry and start bulking him up.

I love Billups and I know Ellis patterns parts of his game after him, but for Biedrins? Hell no! If the Pistons take away Wright from us instead, Randolph better be the real deal. I had high hopes in Wright as a big man with excellent footwork and amazing athleticism.

2. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I don't buy any of those Billups for Biedrins rumors, it's ridiculous. Mullin has shown over and over again he's unwilling to trade Biedrins, and for better deals. We could get a lot more for Biedrins if it came to that.

3. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Sounds like the trade talks are legit, though.

Personally, I am pleased to hear Mullin is probing the waters to find a good PG for this team. Granted, I don't want to lose Beans, but I like the fact that at least we are hearing SOME type of trade talk buzz.

Hopefully he snatches away Raymond Felton for cheap!!!!

4. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    It would be desperation on the part of the Warriors to do a Biedrins for Billups trade. I don't like it because it's trading big for small, young for old when it doesn't give us chance for a championship. What happened to Mullin saying he will definitely re-sign AB and Monta? If need be, it would be better to suck this year and hope to get a starting PG in the draft next year.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Some updates on the PG situation:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>?€? Warriors point guard C.J. Watson had 24 points, six assists, four rebounds and four steals, but it wasn't enough to beat Sacramento's summer league squad. Quincy Douby had 36 points to lead the Kings to a 96-91 victory in Las Vegas. Rookie forward Anthony Randolph had 16 points and six rebounds for Golden State, and Brandon Wright added eight points (on 2-of-11 shooting) and 11 rebounds; Marco Belinelli had six points on 1-of-10 shooting.

?€? Watson will not be with the Warriors at the upcoming Rocky Mountain Revue summer league in Salt Lake City. Instead, he will be attending Tim Grgurich camp's in Las Vegas, which is attended by many NBA players. Watson said his absence was approved by Coach Don Nelson.

?€? Louis Amundson, the power forward out of UNLV, is close to signing with the Warriors, according to a source close to the third-year player. The deal is for a minimum contract; Amundson is seeking a guaranteed deal.

?€? Another new player expected to join the Warriors soon is Jamont Gordon, a 6-4 guard out of Grand Valley State who played on Philadelphia's summer league team.</div>
    http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_9932132
    So it sounds like Watson is gonna be on the team. Now Jamont Gordon is expected to sign as well? Gordon and Hendrix were my two guys who I wanted in the second round so I'd be pumped if we got him (hes from Miss St. not Grand Valley St. btw). Still would rather have Delonte West because hes proven in the league.

Also interesting that we're close to signing Amundsen.

6. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

Disappointing game for Marco. What's the deal with him? For a supposedly dead-eye shooter he has way too many extremely poor shooting games. Is this all we will be able to expect from him. I think he needs to put put on a very short leash. As soon as he fires up a turn around 3 or an unnecessary fadeaway he goes to the bench. Establish your role as a pure shooter before you try the fancy stuff. At this point I don't want him to be a star, I'd be happy if he's a skinny Kyle Korver.

7. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryan @ Jul 19 2008, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Disappointing game for Marco. What's the deal with him? For a supposedly dead-eye shooter he has way too many extremely poor shooting games. Is this all we will be able to expect from him. I think he needs to put put on a very short leash. As soon as he fires up a turn around 3 or an unnecessary fadeaway he goes to the bench. Establish your role as a pure shooter before you try the fancy stuff. At this point I don't want him to be a star, I'd be happy if he's a skinny Kyle Korver.</div>

Yeah I really don't know about Marco. Sometimes I think he will just be another Jiri Welsch, like after such games. Then he'll have a good game or two, and I'll think maybe he's turning the corner. He shot 5 three pointers last game. I think he mainly just played at the beginning of the game. I'd like to see him start the game by trying to attack and get a mid-range game going before launching so many 3 pointers. If there was some way to mix Demarcus Nelson with his defense, strength and ability to get to the hoop with Marco's game, then we would have a pretty good player I think (or maybe CJ Watson).

8. Custodianrules2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jul 19 2008, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Some updates on the PG situation:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>�?‚?� Warriors point guard C.J. Watson had 24 points, six assists, four rebounds and four steals, but it wasn't enough to beat Sacramento's summer league squad. Quincy Douby had 36 points to lead the Kings to a 96-91 victory in Las Vegas. Rookie forward Anthony Randolph had 16 points and six rebounds for Golden State, and Brandon Wright added eight points (on 2-of-11 shooting) and 11 rebounds; Marco Belinelli had six points on 1-of-10 shooting.

�?‚?� Watson will not be with the Warriors at the upcoming Rocky Mountain Revue summer league in Salt Lake City. Instead, he will be attending Tim Grgurich camp's in Las Vegas, which is attended by many NBA players. Watson said his absence was approved by Coach Don Nelson.

�?‚?� Louis Amundson, the power forward out of UNLV, is close to signing with the Warriors, according to a source close to the third-year player. The deal is for a minimum contract; Amundson is seeking a guaranteed deal.

�?‚?� Another new player expected to join the Warriors soon is Jamont Gordon, a 6-4 guard out of Grand Valley State who played on Philadelphia's summer league team.</div>
    http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_9932132
    So it sounds like Watson is gonna be on the team. Now Jamont Gordon is expected to sign as well? Gordon and Hendrix were my two guys who I wanted in the second round so I'd be pumped if we got him (hes from Miss St. not Grand Valley St. btw). Still would rather have Delonte West because hes proven in the league.

Also interesting that we're close to signing Amundsen.
    </div>
    Nice updates, Run.

I'd like to add:
    Too bad that Marco had a bad game, but so did Wright. I think inconsistency can be blamed on (playing way too much basketball in a short amount of time) and lack of strength or conditioning. Body contact or just running a lot can wear down on the areas that affect shooting (such as the legs or being able to finish strong at the hoop on the no-call contact). I'd have to see the game. Finesse guys can have problems like these, so it is important to be able to create the kinds of offense that will get them almost "sure thing" buckets. If you can't finish inside or out or when or the other is failing, we're going to have problems.

Jamont Gordon. If we get him, I'm sure we won't be worrying about Azubuike. Azubuike is a lot taller, but Gordon has the type of skill that can cover PG, SG, SF back in college. He won't play an nba SF, but he's got a lot of qualities similar to guys like Fred Jones or Charlie Bell that could work in international ball (athleticism/more space due to trapezoidal key) or collegiate ball where small forwards are sometimes shorter. We'll have to see how he makes the adjustments, but he does a lot of things well. Experience will be the big issue for him as he'll have to find out which of his tools work at the next level.

Louis Amundson. I knew he'd have a good chance to join the team. He's got too much David Lee qualities in his game. He's smaller than Lee, even more undersized for PF, but he'll get the team energy and toughness on the offensive glass. He's also pretty all-around in terms of fundamentals. He can defend as an ability rather than just effort, but he may be over aggressive and too overmatched to be effective all the time. Nice player that could be an x-factor for when Wright is getting a bit shy. I believe guarding the PF spot instead of the center and having nba refs will get him less fouls than in summer league.

If we got Delonte West instead of Gordon, I would much prefer that. West has developed his playmaking skills a lot more, he's an excellent shooter now (improvement and upside), and he defends very well. Like Run said, he's proven. He's proven as a slasher and midrange scorer. His only downside is he's a natural shooting guard rather than a point. So, there might be some Derek Fisher moments because of the scorer/shooter's mentality. If you open and you want to win, you take it. Nothing creative about that type of game, so don't expect much. Looks like we're going to have to rely on 1 v 5 tactics if our ball movement sucks because of selfishness or guys are blind in terms of court sense.

9. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I'm also concerned about Marco. 1-10 is troubling but what really concerns me is that he doesn't seem to have a lot else to offer when his shot isn't falling, a lot like Harrington actually. He had 2 assists and 2 steals, but no rebounds and 5 fouls. Now Wright also had a bad shooting game, but also had 11 boards, a steal, and a block. I just worry about having another one-dimensional, superstreaky (unreliable) shooter on this team. That leads to the kind of chaos that has not served us well lately, where we don't have the discipline to lock down on another team in crunch time or methodically dig ourselves out of a hole. I know it works both ways sometimes, but I think ultimately you need deiscipline and consistency to win.

10. Legacy

Legacy Beast

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>NBA front-office sources say that the Warriors -- hoping they can find someone else of quality to spare young Monta Ellis from inheriting all of Davis' old ballhandling duties -- are intrigued by the idea of signing Sixers guard Louis Williams to an offer sheet.

It's not yet clear whether Golden State would have enough leftover salary-cap space to extend an offer to Williams sufficiently prohibitive for Philly to match after the Warriors' expected re-signings of their restricted free agents, Ellis (coming soon) and center Andris Biedrins. There would also be questions about how much Williams and Ellis could play together in a less-than-physically imposing backcourt and with Maggette and Stephen Jackson sure to command lots of minutes.

It's also possible that the Warriors could identify another prime target to chase, since I'm told they're evaluating numerous scenarios these days.

Yet there's little doubt that Williams' scoring knack would make him an intriguing fit in Don Nelson's system. Which must be why one plugged-in source believes that the Warriors, in spite of the obstacles, are planning to make a "big run" at him.</div>
    Source

11. Run BJM

Also from that same article Legacy posted above there's this tidbit:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>But (Bobby) Brown's also getting enough NBA interest now to conceivably land the guaranteed deal that would enable him to stay home. New Orleans wants to bring him to training camp and had Chris Paul call Brown to invite him to compete for minutes as CP3's backup. I'm hearing that the Warriors like him just as much, if not more, which must be why Nelson could be spotted at most of Brown's games.</div>

Seems like the W's are really going hard after a PG and are exploring a lot of options. Louis Williams makes no sense to me. I haven't seen a lot of him but I don't think he'd be any better running the point than Monta would and hes certainly not as good as Monta (though he can shoot better). That backcourt would get smeared defensively.

BTW Jamont Gordon will be replacing CJ Watson as the Warriors Summer League PG, I gather.

12. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, I didn't even know who Lou Williams was. I'd rather get one of the three from Memphis or trade for Felton, but it's probably wishful thinking. I think the Warriors either need to acquire a true pass-first PG or just stick with what they have -- a line-up of SG/SG/SF/PF/C.

13. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Why do we need Louis Williams when we already have Monta? They have similar games IMO and Monta is bigger and better. Let's not kid ourselves. This just goes to show you that the Warriors know Monta can't play PG.

14. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jason voorhees @ Jul 21 2008, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why do we need Louis Williams when we already have Monta? They have similar games IMO and Monta is bigger and better. Let's not kid ourselves. This just goes to show you that the Warriors know Monta can't play PG.</div>
    Yeah it makes no sense fro ma basketball perspective, then again its only Stein really reporting it and we rarely here legit info on what Mullin's doing behind the scenes.

I'm still pulling for Delonte West. He makes a lot more sense than Louis Williams- he's 6'3-6'4 and a good defender on SGs or PGs, can run the point adequately, shoots the ball well, has lots of energy, still relatively young, you can play him off the bench at PG or SG with or without Monta.

15. Custodianrules2

Do you think Delonte West is the poor man's version of Kirk Hinrich? They're both awfully good defenders, shooters, and look good playing the point.

16. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Custodianrules2 @ Jul 21 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Do you think Delonte West is the poor man's version of Kirk Hinrich? They're both awfully good defenders, shooters, and look good playing the point.</div>
    Yeah thats a pretty good comparison. West is probably a little more athletic, a little more energetic, higher FG%. Hinrich probably a little smarter/craftier, better at running the show. Both combo guards though who can play either guard spot and defend well.

17. Custodianrules2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jul 21 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Custodianrules2 @ Jul 21 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Do you think Delonte West is the poor man's version of Kirk Hinrich? They're both awfully good defenders, shooters, and look good playing the point.</div>
    Yeah thats a pretty good comparison. West is probably a little more athletic, a little more energetic, higher FG%. Hinrich probably a little smarter/craftier, better at running the show. Both combo guards though who can play either guard spot and defend well.
    </div>

Hinrich doesn't slash as well as West, does he?

18. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

Well, Mullin has made a move

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Well, so much for fighting for his job.

Point guard Marcus Williams, who recently vowed to fight for his minutes after the Nets acquired Keyon Dooling, is headed to Golden State for a future first round pick. The trade will be announced later today.

The pick is lottery protected for 2011 – so the Nets get it if the Warriors are in the playoffs. If it goes to 2012, the pick is protected 1-to-11. It’s protected 1-to-10 for 2013. If it is not conveyed by 2013, the Nets s\get second rounders in 2013 and 2015.</div>

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/nets/archiv...us_is_gone.html

19. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Well, I guess I can live with it. First rounder seems bit expensive for him, but the pick is protected up to 10th. Williams didn't play well in NJ for last two years, but he seems to have a good potential and has a size to play along with Monta. At least we got some PG on our roster...

20. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jul 22 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well, Mullin has made a move

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Well, so much for fighting for his job.

Point guard Marcus Williams, who recently vowed to fight for his minutes after the Nets acquired Keyon Dooling, is headed to Golden State for a future first round pick. The trade will be announced later today.

The pick is lottery protected for 2011 – so the Nets get it if the Warriors are in the playoffs. If it goes to 2012, the pick is protected 1-to-11. It’s protected 1-to-10 for 2013. If it is not conveyed by 2013, the Nets s\get second rounders in 2013 and 2015.</div>

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/nets/archiv...us_is_gone.html
    </div>

I guess that means the speculation can end about adding a starting PG to the Warriors. I think this move is fine. The focus should be to give the starting PG job to Monta and if something goes awry, we can always make a move mid-season.

The PG/SG rotation should look something like this:

PG: Monta/Watson/Bellinelli/Williams
    SG: Sjax/Bellinelli/Monta

I simply don't see Williams getting minutes unless someone gets injured.