Official Warriors Starting PG Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AlleyOop, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kobe23 @ Jul 24 2008, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>hmmm im not too sold on monta ellis playing the point... especially if im contemplating in picking him as my PG in my on going fantasy keeper league. hehe Wont his production decrease if he plays the point?</div>
    Remember that he shot 53% last year and third on the team in FGAs. If you bump him up to 18-20 shots a game like Baron got his points per game should increase. With more shots probably means lower FG% as well but I'm sure it will still be a good % for a G.

2. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Custodianrules2 @ Jul 23 2008, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Let's not pre-judge the guy. Sjax had a crappy attitude and the guy re-invented himself here under Don Nelson.

I heard Marcus Williams was a Deron Williams type body. Excellent athleticism, but almost terribly slow. Like Deron, has all the pure point guard instincts with the ability to score from almost anywhere (midrange being his game). The downside: inconsistency, poor quickness, lack of defensive effort, and lacking the "it" factor that grabs fans attention.

Still, he might pay off and do very well. It's like a free lotto pick really. He should have gone much higher considering good lead guards are hard to find (almost as much as good big men). There's too many guys that can score and not enough guys that make others around them better by passing the ball or dominating the paint.</div>

I'm trying to keep an open mind on Marcus. If he comes into camp in shape, then it will make me feel better. I can't see Marcus on the court at the same time with Marco. It would be painful to watch guys barely out of the NBDL blowing past them.

I'm still holding out for Kirk Hinrich. Maybe there is a deal the Bulls are interested in because they're looking for young talent:
    "Matt Barnes will fill a lot of holes for the Suns next year. Might he help fill the backup point guard spot as well?

The Suns aren’t going to get a good enough point guard in free agency. Even if Goran Dragic comes this fall, he won’t be ready for the workload Phoenix envisions for Steve Nash’s backup.

But Barnes’ ability to play power forward and even shooting guard in addition to small forward makes the Suns more flexible and might give them some interesting options.

Are both Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa now necessary on the roster? Would the Bulls, who are still sparring with Luol Deng on a contract and looking to move Kirk Hinrich’s contract, entertain the idea of swapping Hinrich for Diaw (they have almost identical contracts) and then go after some center depth with their last roster spot?

There is no indication that the Suns and Bulls have talked. But Hinrich is a name that has intrigued the Suns in the past, and they will have to get creative in picking up a point guard. Barnes’ pleasantly unexpected arrival gives them more chips to play."

Suns looking at Kirk Hinrich?

3. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Custodianrules2 @ Jul 23 2008, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Let's not pre-judge the guy. Sjax had a crappy attitude and the guy re-invented himself here under Don Nelson.

I heard Marcus Williams was a Deron Williams type body. Excellent athleticism, but almost terribly slow. Like Deron, has all the pure point guard instincts with the ability to score from almost anywhere (midrange being his game). The downside: inconsistency, poor quickness, lack of defensive effort, and lacking the "it" factor that grabs fans attention.

Still, he might pay off and do very well. It's like a free lotto pick really. He should have gone much higher considering good lead guards are hard to find (almost as much as good big men). There's too many guys that can score and not enough guys that make others around them better by passing the ball or dominating the paint.</div>

That's one big thing that separates him from Deron. Some of us might remember when Deron was on the receiving end of an alley oop that he viciously threw down in the Final Four (?) right before the draft, that almost seemed to shout out to the haters that yes, he was athletic.

Well, Marcus Williams could never do that. That's also why, as syc514 mentioned, a coach on the Nets claimed that Marcus wouldn't be able to guard an ATM with a machine gun (not to mention that he rarely commits on defense anyway). That's also why he gets hit shot blocked about 20% of the time when he drives (I've also confirmed this with 82games.com).

He's also tends to pound the ball on the perimeter, before launching up a shot. He was frustrating because, despite being the best play maker on the floor (when Kidd wasn't on court), he always seemed to be more interesting in scoring and launching shots.

I've done enough complaining about Marcus though. Although as a Nets fan, I will hate for him to succeed, because of the time and high hopes that he wasted, I'd be happy for him as a player, and as a Warriors fan, I'd be even happier to see the Warriors improve with him.

So, the positives. He has absolutely outstanding court vision. He is automatically the best passer on the Warriors, without even stepping into the Roaracle. He has an uncanny ability to see the game slower than others... you can see it when he performs some the passes he throws. When given control, he makes the game come to his pace. Some people would say that he had ice running through his veins in college because he wouldn't be fazed by anything.

He's a great shooter and admittedly has a pretty keen sense of scoring ability. He just had bad shot selection in NJ.

He also seems to be focusing on getting in shape this summer, and committing to defense. Being traded to a team that will actually use him should motivate him even more.

Here's some highlights:

<div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/36X4w-s2HLU&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/36X4w-s2HLU&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

<div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQzA84WYBzU&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQzA84WYBzU&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

Ok, I couldn't help it [​IMG] :

<div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MHWmurd2Rks&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MHWmurd2Rks&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Thanks kdub, I'm even more excited about getting this kid now. We'll play zone on defense if we have to!

5. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Gawd, I just realized Mullin may have liked Marcus because he was a lefty and slow, too.

P.S. Why does Marcus push away Jefferson in that last vid when he's trying to congratulate him?

6. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jason voorhees @ Jul 25 2008, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>P.S. Why does Marcus push away Jefferson in that last vid when he's trying to congratulate him?</div>

Haha, yeah I was wondering what was up with that. Also, I wish there were more highlights of him passing it, rather than a bunch of highlights of him taking the shot himself.

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Thanks Kdub, the vids are a good source of info. The part where Marcus Williams pushes Richard Jefferson may support his alleged bad attitude.

8. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, what IS up with that? Not a good showing of attitude -- there's a few vids on youtube about that... was Jefferson giving him a hard time or something?

9. kdub

No problem guys.

Heh, the Marcus/RJ confrontation video is one of the most notorious ones on the Nets board. No one really knows the real story behind it, but there's basically 2 camps:

People who say that this is evidence that Marcus has a bad attitude, or not a team attitude.

Or.

People who say that Marcus just isn't (and has never been) an energy/excitable player. I've noted before who he has a very cool demeanor about him, mentioning how some posters would say that he had ice running through his veins because he never got fazed.

If anything, Marcus is definitely not the chest-bumping, screaming after an and-1, waving his towel on the bench, type of guy. Don't expect this guy to bring energy. His form of cheering is just standing up. When he gets fouled, he just calmly goes to the line, he doesn't make an effort to high-five his teammates or bring the crowd into it. He's not that type of player.

Whether you see that as calm or selfish is up to you. Based on his previous body of work with the Nets and the hints at his bad attitude let out by beat writers and Nets staff, most say it's the latter.

His talent has never been doubted. Let's just hope it gets realized, and that he doesn't bring any of his baggage here. Let's hope he gets a fresh start here and makes the most of it.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

kdub, that has me worried. I'm kind of hoping that Marcus Williams is a third string point. I like CJ Watson more even if Marcus Williams can throw the no-look pass pretty well.

11. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Custodianrules2 @ Jul 28 2008, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>kdub, that has me worried. I'm kind of hoping that Marcus Williams is a third string point. I like CJ Watson more even if Marcus Williams can throw the no-look pass pretty well.</div>

Agreed. M Will is going to have to take a backseat to both Monta and Watson at least in the beginning.

12. kdub

Are the Warriors playing in any more Summer Leagues? If they are, Marcus should be getting some burn with them.

13. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kdub @ Jul 30 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Are the Warriors playing in any more Summer Leagues? If they are, Marcus should be getting some burn with them.</div>
    There are no more summer leagues as far as I know. Orlando, Las Vegas, and Rocky Mountain Revue are the only ones that exist to my knowledge and they played in two of those.